none
changing operating system language from German to English

Question

•  

I live in Germany and I am buying hp notebook with Microsoft Vista SP1 Home Premium here from mediamarkt, I am getting Vista in German. I would like to have my operating system language changed to English. Could some one suggest me the best course of action to change the operating system language from German to English.

Thanks

Saturday, October 25, 2008 5:11 PM

Answers

•  itspuneet wrote:

I live in Germany and I am buying hp notebook with Microsoft Vista SP1 Home Premium here from mediamarkt, I am getting Vista in German. I would like to have my operating system language changed to English. Could some one suggest me the best course of action to change the operating system language from German to English.

Thanks

Hi

German and English are both primary languages.

You cannot change the language from one primary language to another primary language unless you use the MUI (Multi-User Interface) Language Packs. The MUI language packs are only available if you have the Ultimate or Enterprise version of Windows Vista.

You can find more information here:

List of Localized Microsoft Operating Systems:
    http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/oslocversion.mspx#winVistaSKU

There are some third party solutions available, but these are not supported by Microsoft.

Vistalizator - change display language in Vista Home and Business:
    http://www.froggie.sk/

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 6:28 PM

All replies

•  itspuneet wrote:

Thanks

Hi

German and English are both primary languages.

You cannot change the language from one primary language to another primary language unless you use the MUI (Multi-User Interface) Language Packs. The MUI language packs are only available if you have the Ultimate or Enterprise version of Windows Vista.

You can find more information here:

List of Localized Microsoft Operating Systems:
    http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/oslocversion.mspx#winVistaSKU

There are some third party solutions available, but these are not supported by Microsoft.

Vistalizator - change display language in Vista Home and Business:
    http://www.froggie.sk/

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 6:28 PM
  • My wife has a similar problem. Her brother, who lives in Germany persuaded her to buy a laptop in Germany. She does not speak any German. I understand the limitations involved in changing the language if it is a primary language.

My question:
    Can I just format and reinstall Vista or will the "primary language" in the bios prevent an English version of Vista from being installed?
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 8:52 PM
  • Hi Arthur

The language for the operating system is integrated into the OS itself. The BIOS should not have any effect on this.

If you have an English language version of Vista to install, you should have no problems.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 4:37 AM