none
"cannot read from the source file or disk" error

Question

• Hi All,

I would like to ask a question on file system error.

In one of the folders on my external hard drive, I have found the following problems:

1. I cannot copy files from that directory to elsewhere.
    2. Nor could I open these files by any applications. For example, if I try to open the file with winword.exe, it will tell me that the file cannot be read.
    3. I cannot create new folder(s) within that directory or all levels of subdirectories. However, I was able to create single file(s) (albeit problem with folder creation) from the right-click->New->xxx.
    4. In both 1 and 2, Windows prompts me the message "cannot read from the source file or disk".

In my attempts to solve the problem:

1. I used chkdsk.exe to check problems with the hard drive but no error has been diagnosed.
    2. I have found all files in that folder are “read-only” (right click->properties). If I uncheck that, after clicking “OK” and leaving the “properties” windows and then “right click->properties” again, it still shows as “read-only”. No modification on the access right can be made.

I stored lots of my important files in that folder and failing to copy or open them basically means that I have lost the files, and this worries me very much. Could anyone help me on this?

Bob

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 2:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Bob,

Please let me know the following information:

• What is the system file format on the external hard drive?
    • Are you able to copy or move other files within the computer?

First I would suggest you try following method to take ownership of the system drive.

Make sure that you are logged into an administrator account and try moving or copying.

·          

How to take ownership of a folder

----------------------------------------

1. Open Computer, right click your system drive and click Properties.

2. Choose the “Security” tab and see if your account is listed in the “Group and User names” list. If not, please click the Edit button, click the Add button, type your account name in the open window and click “OK” to add this group.

3. Highlight your account in the “Group and User names” list, check “Full Control” under “Allow” and click OK.

4. Click the “Advanced” button and choose the "Owner" tab.

5. Click the Edit button, highlight your account in the list and mark the check box before "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects".

6. Click "OK" to save changes and wait for Windows Vista to transfer ownership of all the objects on the partition.

7. Click OK again to save changes and exit the Properties window.

Can you access files and folders successfully on the system drive now?

You may also check if it works in the Safe Mode.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Bob Sun Tuesday, December 21, 2010 1:41 AM
    Friday, December 10, 2010 3:34 AM
  • Hi Bob,

Please refer to the following link to change your user accounts’ type:

Change a user's account type

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Monday, December 20, 2010 3:18 AM
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 8:57 AM

All replies

• first, what switch did you use with chkdsk? prefarablly use CHKDSK /R for windows to attempt to fix errors.

secondly, to solve the read-only issue. rightclick the folder containing files you want to copy, select properties,go to advanced,ownership,change owner/add co-owner, take ownership of the folder with your username.

Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    • Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Friday, December 10, 2010 3:34 AM
    Thursday, December 09, 2010 8:06 PM
  • Hi Bob,

Please let me know the following information:

• What is the system file format on the external hard drive?
    • Are you able to copy or move other files within the computer?

First I would suggest you try following method to take ownership of the system drive.

Make sure that you are logged into an administrator account and try moving or copying.

·          

How to take ownership of a folder

----------------------------------------

1. Open Computer, right click your system drive and click Properties.

2. Choose the “Security” tab and see if your account is listed in the “Group and User names” list. If not, please click the Edit button, click the Add button, type your account name in the open window and click “OK” to add this group.

3. Highlight your account in the “Group and User names” list, check “Full Control” under “Allow” and click OK.

4. Click the “Advanced” button and choose the "Owner" tab.

5. Click the Edit button, highlight your account in the list and mark the check box before "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects".

6. Click "OK" to save changes and wait for Windows Vista to transfer ownership of all the objects on the partition.

7. Click OK again to save changes and exit the Properties window.

Can you access files and folders successfully on the system drive now?

You may also check if it works in the Safe Mode.

Regards,

Sabrina

• Marked as answer by Bob Sun Tuesday, December 21, 2010 1:41 AM
    Friday, December 10, 2010 3:34 AM
  • Dear Sabrina,

I do not have the permission to do this modifications under my daily-use account. Although I believe it might be done in the "Administrator" account (I have made it visible in the logon screen and can log into it), I have to log out and in to do that, which is very inconvenient.

Is there anyway to raise the privilege of my everyday account to the same level as the Administrator account?

Bob

Sunday, December 12, 2010 9:59 AM
  • Hi Bob,

Please refer to the following link to change your user accounts’ type:

Change a user's account type

Regards,

Sabrina

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Monday, December 20, 2010 3:18 AM
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 8:57 AM