How To Uninstall IE 10 In Windows 8

Question

• Hi,

I'm looking for the way to install a outdated version of Internet Explorer on Windows 8 viz. IE 6 or 7. But as far I know, whenever I try to instal the setup of IE 6 or 7, the setup detect the latest IE 10 and discontinued.

So I would like to uninstall IE 10 and looking for the way to do it. Since I can't uninstall it from Windows Updates likewise IE 9:

Any help would be appreciated :D

Thursday, June 28, 2012 11:36 AM

All replies

• You can remove the IE10 with pkgmgr.exe but you can't install older IE versions.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

• Proposed as answer by AnthonyDa Thursday, June 28, 2012 3:50 PM
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 2:19 PM
  • You can remove the IE10 with pkgmgr.exe but you can't install older IE versions.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Sorry but I am not familiar with pkgmgr.exe, can you please tell me where can I found it in Windows. Many thanks :)
    Friday, June 29, 2012 6:45 AM
  • IE10 is build-in component of Windows 8. You can just hide it, but cannot uninstall it or install any old version IE instead.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, June 29, 2012 7:13 AM

Sorry but I am not familiar with pkgmgr.exe, can you please tell me where can I found it in Windows. Many thanks :)

use this tool:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/152688-win6x-registry-tweak/

run it with /o /l to list al packages and next run the tool with /o /c "INTERNET EXPLOER PACKAGE NAME" /r to remoe the IE. I've used this to completely kill Windows Defender.

Saturday, June 30, 2012 3:28 PM
  • Using the Turn Windows features on or off dialog, you can uncheck IE 10 to remove the feature.  However, you probably still will not be able to install earlier versions of IE.  Your only recourse then is to use a third-party browser.

If you must use IE 6 or IE 7, you may want to setup a virtual machine with XP (the only version that supports IE 6).  If your hardware supports it, you can enable the Hyper-V feature (in the same location where you disable IE 10).  If you can't enable Hyper-V, you can use either Oracle's VirtualBox or VMware Workstation/Player to provide a virtualized instance of XP.

Saturday, June 30, 2012 8:08 PM

use this tool:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/152688-win6x-registry-tweak/

run it with /o /l to list al packages and next run the tool with /o /c "INTERNET EXPLOER PACKAGE NAME" /r to remoe the IE. I've used this to completely kill Windows Defender.

Thanks for the great tool.

Last que... Where can I find the location of Internet Explorer package, or what is its package name exactly. Where it's mounted path lie. I don't find out what to do at this screen.... thanks

Monday, July 02, 2012 6:37 PM
  • Try going to Tools -> Developer tools(F12) and the bottom of the screen change the browser mode to the preferred one

Joseph Ndlovu

Wednesday, July 04, 2012 12:32 PM
  • Last que... Where can I find the location of Internet Explorer package, or what is its package name exactly.

like I said run it with /l parameter. Use it with /o when runing online or with the image parameter /p if you mount a WIM. This lists all packages in a file called packages.txt Open it and see what the filename is. I used it to remove crap like Defender which only slows down Windows. The tool work in Vista and Win7, too.

Friday, July 06, 2012 8:39 AM