none
USB 3.0 support in Windows 7?

Question

• I can't find any official information online about what support Windows 7 has for USB 3.0, can someone point me in the right direction?
    Monday, March 01, 2010 10:46 AM

Answers

• Windows 7 does not have built-in USB 3.0 support but after you install official drivers from manufacturer's site they work fine.
    • Proposed as answer by SenneVL Monday, March 01, 2010 12:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dale QiaoModerator Monday, March 08, 2010 2:30 AM
    Monday, March 01, 2010 12:03 PM
  • Currently Microsoft Windows USB Team are continuing to contribute in defining Industry standards like the USB 1.1/2.0/3.0 specifications. I will let you know more information as long as the USB team announces any information about USB 3.0 supports in Windows 7.

Best Regards
    Dale

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 2:12 AM

All replies

• Windows 7 does not have built-in USB 3.0 support but after you install official drivers from manufacturer's site they work fine.
    • Proposed as answer by SenneVL Monday, March 01, 2010 12:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dale QiaoModerator Monday, March 08, 2010 2:30 AM
    Monday, March 01, 2010 12:03 PM
  • Currently Microsoft Windows USB Team are continuing to contribute in defining Industry standards like the USB 1.1/2.0/3.0 specifications. I will let you know more information as long as the USB team announces any information about USB 3.0 supports in Windows 7.

Best Regards
    Dale

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 2:12 AM
  • Is Microsoft planning to provide DSF based simulations for USB 3.0?
    Thursday, April 01, 2010 11:17 AM
  • I have a seagate drive, but I cannot find the WIN 7 drivers on their system.
    Steven Bowers
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 1:44 AM
  • I can say categorically that USB 3.0 support for Windows 7 seems to be a little like the eSATA problems experienced by people...  A washout.....

I have Windows 7 professional SP1 with ASUS p6t deluxe X58 chipset...  USB 3.0 with the drivers (at least) from Buffalo are highly unreliable and not worth investigating or buying....

Until the drivers have clear standards there will remain these motherboard chipset incompatibilities like with the X58 chipset.  I have a 3.0 USB Buffalo Controller that whose driver seems to be VERY BUGGY....

a. external connected loses connection with the mobo

b. throughput is ABSOLUTELY PITIFUL as many have said at a miserable 23-28 Mb/Second  (this is what we waited for????)....

c. the drivers on the controller card...that it seems to fail at will where a navigational-"ghost" of the attached drive's directory is frozen (i.e. not refreshed by windows explorer) and consequently the ONLY thing that remedies is a re-boot UNTIL....

....it fails again.  Not, repeat,  not a happy camper.  I would have gladly waited until the drivers had been cleaned and ready for RTM status not this pre-alpha/alpha nonsense that the poor unsuspecting early-adopter geek community is having to suffer through.................GROWWWWWWL..........  It is a bit sad really....the first real blemish on what has been an otherwise stellar O/S release....  So dammit...................FIX/STANDARDIZE THE DRIVERs...  There...I tried...to say it nicely.

Sunday, May 15, 2011 4:51 AM
  • I can say categorically that USB 3.0 support for Windows 7 seems to be a little like the eSATA problems experienced by people...  A washout.....

I have Windows 7 professional SP1 with ASUS p6t deluxe X58 chipset...  USB 3.0 with the drivers (at least) from Buffalo are highly unreliable and not worth investigating or buying....

Until the drivers have clear standards there will remain these motherboard chipset incompatibilities like with the X58 chipset.  I have a 3.0 USB Buffalo Controller that whose driver seems to be VERY BUGGY....

a. external connected loses connection with the mobo

b. throughput is ABSOLUTELY PITIFUL as many have said at a miserable 23-28 Mb/Second  (this is what we waited for????)....

c. the drivers on the controller card...that it seems to fail at will where a navigational-"ghost" of the attached drive's directory is frozen (i.e. not refreshed by windows explorer) and consequently the ONLY thing that remedies is a re-boot UNTIL....

....it fails again.  Not, repeat,  not a happy camper.  I would have gladly waited until the drivers had been cleaned and ready for RTM status not this pre-alpha/alpha nonsense that the poor unsuspecting early-adopter geek community is having to suffer through.................GROWWWWWWL..........  It is a bit sad really....the first real blemish on what has been an otherwise stellar O/S release....  So dammit...................FIX/STANDARDIZE THE DRIVERs...  There...I tried...to say it nicely.

It's alway interesting hearing from experts that know everything.

I have two system with USB 3.0 on the motherboard and my transfer rates usually run between about 60-90 Mb/secs.

And, Microsoft does not write the USB 3.0 driver - it is written by NEC or one of the other hardware partners!  My guess is your problem is caused by the Bufflao hardware and their implementation of USB 3.0.  It's definitely has nothing to do with Microsoft!  Talk to the USB 3.0 committee @ http://www.usb.org/developers/ssusb

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Sunday, May 15, 2011 5:04 PM
  • And yet... Microsoft posts a hotfix that supposedly addresses this issue, which does not fix the issue.  It is most definatley a USB 3.0 related issue as the same drive on the same laptop connecte to the USB2.0 port works fine, albiet 10x slower.

Ugh MSFT.  You promise W8 will be better...

Friday, September 14, 2012 1:59 PM
  • And yet... Microsoft posts a hotfix that supposedly addresses this issue, which does not fix the issue.  It is most definatley a USB 3.0 related issue as the same drive on the same laptop connecte to the USB2.0 port works fine, albiet 10x slower.

Ugh MSFT.  You promise W8 will be better...

well unfortunately, Windows 8 doesn't seem to be better than Windows 7, even though W8 has built-in USB 3.0 drivers.

a good reason why Microsoft should consider making a Windows 7 Service Pack 2 - include USB 3.0 drivers into W7 SP2 (hey, MSFT included USB 2.0 drivers into Win2000 SP4 and the 3 SPs for WinXP). Windows 7 is still in mainstream support until January 2015 and we should be able request improvements into W7 until that time.

Friday, June 14, 2013 4:28 AM
  • Hello, I had the same issue with my motherboard Asus Z87-Pro. It only has USB 3. So when I wanted to install 7 64. One I've been into the 7 setup menu, it doesn't reorganize my keyboard and mouse devices. So I did an iso from the 7 DVD and then I've integrated the USB 3.0 drivers to the 7 iso and it works, my keyboard and mouse device has been reorganize. Dear M$ when do you plan to integrate for all manufacturer the usb 3 drivers into it ?

Best regards,

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 10:23 AM
  • Hello, I had the same issue with my motherboard Asus Z87-Pro. It only has USB 3. So when I wanted to install 7 64. One I've been into the 7 setup menu, it doesn't reorganize my keyboard and mouse devices. So I did an iso from the 7 DVD and then I've integrated the USB 3.0 drivers to the 7 iso and it works, my keyboard and mouse device has been reorganize. Dear M$ when do you plan to integrate for all manufacturer the usb 3 drivers into it ?

Best regards,                                                 khalis

Do not HANG a brand new problem on a 3-1/2 year old thread!  Start a new thread for your new problem!

You need to read the manual for your motherboard very carefully.  You do indeed have USB 2.0 ports:

Intel® Z87 chipset :
    4 x USB 3.0/2.0 port(s) (2 at back panel, blue, 2 at mid-board)
    Intel® Z87 chipset :
    8 x USB 2.0/1.1 port(s) (8 at mid-board)

Note that USB 3.0 ports function in the USB 2.0 mode until the USB 3.0 driver is installed.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 12:11 PM
  • Any news? Is microsoft planning a USB 3.0 driver for Windows 7?

I have a USB device that is working fine in Windows 8/8.1 (x64), but it's not working with Intel 8 Series USB Host Controller in Windows 7. So, I suspect there is a problem with the Intel driver, as it's working with the Microsoft driver on the same laptop (Intel Mobile QM97 Express chipset).

My USB device is working fine in both Windows 7 and Windows 8 with other USB Host Controllers than Intel 8 Series. But with Intel 8 Series my USB device is only working in Windows 8.

This is a Dell Precision M6800 laptop.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 3:02 PM