none
Windows 7 won't start up after updates

Question

• I just installed w7 last night and i've been installing/restarting it several times. Then this morning Turn it off and then turn it back on and it stopped working. it won't start up and the repair program can't fix anything and i can't restore from another point because i don't have system restore turned on apparently. i've started in safe mode and last good config (f8) i've booted from the disk and nothing works. i am not going to completely reinstall windows because i have Microsoft office and an anitvirus software installed and i'm not going to buy another copy of those.

no i installed it myself. It was a clean install from windows xp 64 bit. yes i have the disks but you are only allowed 3 installs with each key and i'm not wasting one of those because Microsoft messed up my computer. and yes i ran the WUA and it said i was fine.
    • Edited by Dr.Lix Saturday, December 12, 2009 10:40 PM
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 8:22 PM

Answers

• Hi,

1) Try to boot in WinRE with the boot disc, and try the DISM command to see what update is in a problem state:

dism.exe /image:d:\ /get-packages

Note
    : When you run this command, you should see one or more packages listed in a Pending state. Check for known issues with the particular update or package. There may be a more direct workaround.

If it found any problemed updates, please note its KB number, and use WUSA command to uninstall the update:

wusa /uninstall /kb:<KB number>

2) If you are unable to find another solution, use the /cleanup-image switch with DISM to revert the pending actions:

dism.exe /image:d:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

Once this is complete, try starting the PC into Windows. If Windows starts successfully, check for other issues on the computer – disk issues, memory issues, etc. You may need to perform an in-place reinstall to repair problems with the Windows installation to prevent similar issues in the future.

3) If the issue persists, let's perform a Start Repair.
    4) Visit the following KB:

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

Best Regards
    Dale

Monday, December 14, 2009 6:24 AM

All replies

• So was the Office and the AV preinstalled? Don't you have the discs for those? If it was preinstalled and you actived the AV online, then it would have given you a registration page (some do). Was this an upgrade from Vista? If so, did you run the Windows Upgrade Advisor prior to upgrading.
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 8:52 PM
  • Hi,

1) Try to boot in WinRE with the boot disc, and try the DISM command to see what update is in a problem state:

dism.exe /image:d:\ /get-packages

Note
    : When you run this command, you should see one or more packages listed in a Pending state. Check for known issues with the particular update or package. There may be a more direct workaround.

If it found any problemed updates, please note its KB number, and use WUSA command to uninstall the update:

wusa /uninstall /kb:<KB number>

2) If you are unable to find another solution, use the /cleanup-image switch with DISM to revert the pending actions:

dism.exe /image:d:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

Once this is complete, try starting the PC into Windows. If Windows starts successfully, check for other issues on the computer – disk issues, memory issues, etc. You may need to perform an in-place reinstall to repair problems with the Windows installation to prevent similar issues in the future.

3) If the issue persists, let's perform a Start Repair.
    4) Visit the following KB:

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

Best Regards
    Dale

Monday, December 14, 2009 6:24 AM