none
OEM KEY WINDOWS 8

Question

• Hello,

I bought my laptop Lenovo IdeaPad y580 with preinstalled Windows 8...I had a lot of viruses so i formated my HDD and installed Windows 7..But now i want to install Windows 8 again...I dont have any DVD but i read a lot of articles  about OEM key in bios and people say that i dont need any dvd..When i Download  windows 8 or windows 8.1 updater from Microsoft site

and put my Oem key which i found by using RW evrything program it shows me that the key is wrong...Pls can You help me with this problem..

Thank You

Friday, November 29, 2013 9:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• You had to make a recovery disk after first startup..

information: https://www.lenovorecovery.com/Extranet/Questions.aspx

• Proposed as answer by Carey FrischMVP Saturday, November 30, 2013 8:14 PM
    Friday, November 29, 2013 9:16 PM
  • I didn't do any recovery media  so is there another solution to get windows 8 back ?

Friday, November 29, 2013 9:27 PM
  • OEM Windows disks have special keys and license files that are tied to the hardware (BIOS or UEFI).  For example, I can use a Dell OEM Windows 7 disk on ANY Dell computer that had Windows 7 preinstalled and it will show auto-activation.  The sames goes for the other manufactures.  What's important is that you have an OEM disk/ISO from the manufacturer in question.

To save money, most manufactures no longer ship media and now require the owner to create media of their own using the built-in recover tools.  If the user fails to do this, then they are stuck.

You will have to contact Lenovo to see if you can have them ship you an OEM Windows 8 disk.

Saturday, November 30, 2013 4:08 AM
  • i find iso file on internet which name is "Windows 8 NON-PRO OEM 64 Bit For System Builders"  

will it work when i have my oem key? what do You think ..Thank You for answers

Saturday, November 30, 2013 1:40 PM
  • Contact Lenovo and request their Windows 8 recovery DVD.

Carey Frisch

Saturday, November 30, 2013 3:24 PM
  • i find iso file on internet which name is "Windows 8 NON-PRO OEM 64 Bit For System Builders"  

will it work when i have my oem key? what do You think ..Thank You for answers

No.  It is likely non-genuine and loaded with malware.

Carey Frisch

Saturday, November 30, 2013 3:25 PM
  • Everybody say THE same as me in THE first reply. So click on the link i gave in THE first reply and get a CD / DVD from Lenovo :)
    Saturday, November 30, 2013 6:50 PM
  • Hi,

For the issue, I think you deleted the recovery disk by mistake since you formatted you HDD.

As ahuibers and Carey Frisch said, I suggest you contact Lenovo support for help.

You can download a recovery ISO by Lenovo support. Then you could burn it to a DVD.

Regards,

Kelvin hsu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 02, 2013 7:39 AM