none
Windows 8 won't install

Question

• It gets to 90%, then the message changes and says it needs to restart. It doesn't restart, but instead after a couple of minutes says that the install was unsuccessful. I've tried turning off antivirus etc in task manager, but nothing changes. Also noticed, it says at the start of the installation that it will restart several times... mine never did - not sure if there's anything wrong there?

What else could it be? I've updated the bios and other files, and no joy. Feel like i've wasted my money if this won't work at all.

Note: I'm trying to upgrade from Windows 7 ultimate to the Windows 8 that the advisor suggested.
    • Edited by Sazzle27 Sunday, October 28, 2012 10:49 PM OS details
    Sunday, October 28, 2012 10:48 PM

Answers

• I am upgrading 7 home premium to 8 after getting an ok from the advisor. I get to 69% and hang for llllong time then get an error 80004005 install unsucessful.

I have removed anti virus and spywere programs, re burned the DVD from the ISO file, and cussed alot to no avail.

NEW INFO:  I GOT IT WORKING.

I had been using a DVD created from the ISO download. I went to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only to re-download the files. This time I saved the download as a USB flash drive installation. It saved the same files I found on the DVD to the flash drive.

To complete the installation I disconnected everything except the mouse and flash drive from my PC. I even disconnected the network cable.

I started the installation from the flash drive and went through everything with no problems. I used the save my files and settings option to do the install.

It takes a long time and I thought is was hanging a few times but it works fine now.

• Proposed as answer by Crawfo Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:23 PM
    • Edited by Crawfo Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Niki HanModerator Thursday, November 08, 2012 9:16 AM
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 2:06 AM

All replies

• I have the same problem, reaches 90% then says there's an error. Seems like a waste of money, have you found a fix yet?
    Monday, October 29, 2012 2:01 PM
  • I am upgrading 7 home premium to 8 after getting an ok from the advisor. I get to 69% and hang for llllong time then get an error 80004005 install unsucessful.

I have removed anti virus and spywere programs, re burned the DVD from the ISO file, and cussed alot to no avail.

NEW INFO:  I GOT IT WORKING.

I had been using a DVD created from the ISO download. I went to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only to re-download the files. This time I saved the download as a USB flash drive installation. It saved the same files I found on the DVD to the flash drive.

To complete the installation I disconnected everything except the mouse and flash drive from my PC. I even disconnected the network cable.

I started the installation from the flash drive and went through everything with no problems. I used the save my files and settings option to do the install.

It takes a long time and I thought is was hanging a few times but it works fine now.

• Proposed as answer by Crawfo Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:23 PM
    • Edited by Crawfo Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Niki HanModerator Thursday, November 08, 2012 9:16 AM
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 2:06 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem. What's infuriating is that the error message is so uninformative. I have left a bad review on Amazon. Not sure what else to do at this point, but I will be really annoyed if I've wasted the money on this. 
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 4:43 PM
  • I just go the same thing. I have a Dell laptop with Windows 7, and I got all the way through the installation, but when my computer restarted, I got a message informing me that the installation had not been successful and it was reverting my computer to where it had been just before the installation. Argh!
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:15 PM
  • My installs of Win 8 Pro also hung (several attempts).  I must reboot and wait fore the message that the install was unsuccessful after which it rolls Win 7 back in place.  I called tech support who walked me through the install but still the same problem.  I am trying to save from re-installing all my programs.  I like your approach Crawfo and will try it myself tomorrow.  Thanks for sharing your successful experience.
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:50 AM
  • Exactly the same for me. What a piece of shit.
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 6:38 PM
  • Yeah and not one Microsoft techie can help! My post has been open for days without a single response...typical Microsoft, releases an OS and doesn't know how to support it!
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 6:59 PM
  • So I have spent the last three days with MS tech support and STILL no joy. On Tuesday, John B. spent about two and a half hours before bumping it up to the next level. On Wednesday, Sayan from the escalation team spent another two to three hours before giving up. He left my system a total, almost unusable mess and asked me not to try to fix it because someone would call me to continue working on it at 9 am today. It's now 1:30, and no one has called. I tried going back through the first level tech support. They have promised that someone from level 2 will call in "an hour or two". I'm beginning to get a little surly, lol. 
    Thursday, November 01, 2012 6:28 PM
  • <object height="1" id="plugin0" style=";z-index:1000;" type="application/x-dgnria" width="1"><param name="tabId" value="{2B85EC48-3BF8-4688-B394-EA144CAAA816}" /></object>

I have the same problem as everyone else. Two high spec machines, three hours each to get to the point where it just says that it can't install and rollws back to Windows 7. Well, almost, as the stuff that was uninstalled at the beginning remainded uninstalled after roll-back. With half a terabyte of photos and documentation, and fickle software like Photoshop which doesn't like being reinstalled, I am very reluctant to try an install from scratch rather than an upgrade. If only the message were more helpful, highlighting what software, drivers, hardware, or whatever was causing it an issue, then at least I could have a go at resolving it.

I may try the solution given earlier by Crawfo but if that fails I'll be asking for my money back!

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 3:50 PM
  • "To complete the installation I disconnected everything except the mouse and flash drive from my PC. I even disconnected the network cable."

How did you know when to click where if the monitor was unplugged?

J/K hehe

And yeah I still have no frickin Windows 8

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 4:15 PM
  • "To complete the installation I disconnected everything except the mouse and flash drive from my PC. I even disconnected the network cable."

How did you know when to click where if the monitor was unplugged?

J/K hehe

And yeah I still have no frickin Windows 8

The unit is a portable with attached LED display. Duh!

Bob Crawford

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 5:28 PM
  • Ok I get almost done with the install and I get an error that windows started with the disc inserted, need to take out the disc and restart the computer, then once windows start normally put the disc back in and start all over again to get the same error message, I have a wireless connection does that make a difference, I think they just want you to buy a new computer with windows 8 on it, achhhhhhh!!! Help!

Thanks

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7:01 AM