none
how to get "Settings" to appear in right click menu for Windows Virtual PC

Question

• I have win7 virtual pc installed and also xp mode. I have close of xp mode set to shut down. I want to set memory for Virtual PC. XP mode is shut down. Click Start, Click Windows Virtual PC folder. Under that are "Windows Virtual PC" and "Windows XP Mode".  Right click on Windows Virtual PC which is supposed to have an option in the drop down for "settings", but it does not. It has Open, Run As Administrator, Open File Location, Pin to Task Bar, Pin to File Location, Restore Previous Versions, Send To, Cut, Copy, Delete, Rename, Properties. No "Settings".  Same choices if I right click on Windows XP mode.

How do I get Settings to appear on the right click menu?

If I start XP mode and go to Tools, Settings I see the settings panel, but can't change memory (of course).

Thursday, January 14, 2010 2:46 AM

Answers

• Open Windows Explorer and enter this in the address bar: %USERPROFILE%\Virtual Machines

You will see a special view in Windows Explorer. You can right-click on the vmcx files you see in the special view to get to the Settings. Or you can highlight one of the vmcx file names (i.e., name of virtual machine) and click Settings in the menu bar.

Another option is to do Start | All Programs | Windows Virtual PC | Windws Virtual PC to bring up the special Windows Explorer view of the virtual machines.

You can't change the memory allocated to a hibernated virtual machine. A virtual machine has to be shutdown before the memory can be changed.

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, January 20, 2010 2:25 AM
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 3:16 AM
  • For more information, you can refer to this TechNet article: Configuring a virtual machine.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 7:18 AM

All replies

• Open Windows Explorer and enter this in the address bar: %USERPROFILE%\Virtual Machines

You will see a special view in Windows Explorer. You can right-click on the vmcx files you see in the special view to get to the Settings. Or you can highlight one of the vmcx file names (i.e., name of virtual machine) and click Settings in the menu bar.

Another option is to do Start | All Programs | Windows Virtual PC | Windws Virtual PC to bring up the special Windows Explorer view of the virtual machines.

You can't change the memory allocated to a hibernated virtual machine. A virtual machine has to be shutdown before the memory can be changed.

Thursday, January 14, 2010 3:16 AM
  • For more information, you can refer to this TechNet article: Configuring a virtual machine.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 7:18 AM