none
Windows 7 hangs on 'shutting down' screen.

Question

• I bought a new laptop with Vista installed. However I was entitled to a free upgrade to Win 7 (Vista was working fine at this point). After the upgrade I'm unable to shutdown the laptop, because the screen hangs at the 'shutting down' stage. The only way to restart it is to a hard shutdown. Win 7 works ok when switched on it is only the shutdown bit that is frustrating.
    Please advise?

Phil.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 5:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Phil,

Please first apply this Hotfix and see if the issue can be resolved: You cannot make a computer that is running Windows 7 shut down or sleep

However, if the issue persists, please check if it occurs in Safe Mode (Restart computer, press the F8 key when the boot menu pops up, select [Safe Mode], and boot up). If the issue does not occur in Safe Mode, please move on to see if it occurs in Clean Boot. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we continue to narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, March 03, 2010 1:58 AM
    Friday, February 26, 2010 6:55 AM

All replies

• Uninstall drivers Try uninstalling any recently installed third-party drivers then restarting. To do this, click the Start button then navigate to Control Panel > System and Security > Device Manager. Right-click any recently installed third-party items and select “Uninstall” then restart.

End processes Processes spawned by some third-party drivers can also hang the shutdown process. Try opening the task manager (control-alt-delete) and ending any processes related to third-party devices or other hardware connected to your computer, then re-attempt the shutdown.

M-Audio audiophile Delta 249 conflict Joepsz , a poster to Microsoft’s TechNet forums, has discovered a fix that involves stopping the “Audiosrv” and “AudioEndpointBuilder” processes associated with the M-Audio audiophile Delta 249, which exhibits a conflict with Windows 7. The fix is as follows:

1. Create a .bat file (create txt file and change extention to .bat)
    2. Right Click on file > “edit” and enter following info:
      • net stop “Audiosrv”
      • net stop “AudioEndpointBuilder”
    3. Save file as “Audio stop”(or whatever you want) to your main drive ie: C:\Audio stop
    4. Open “run” from start menu and enter “gpedit.msc” (without quotes) and hit “OK”
    5. Now navigate from right pain of window “User Configuration” > “Windows Settings” > “scripts (Logon/Logoff)” > “Logoff”
    6. From window that opens from clicking “Logoff” Click “Add” then browse to where you saved “Audio Stop.bat” earlier and double click on it.
    7. Hit “Apply” and close.

For More Information and help click here
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 8:35 AM
  • Hi Phil,

Please first apply this Hotfix and see if the issue can be resolved: You cannot make a computer that is running Windows 7 shut down or sleep

However, if the issue persists, please check if it occurs in Safe Mode (Restart computer, press the F8 key when the boot menu pops up, select [Safe Mode], and boot up). If the issue does not occur in Safe Mode, please move on to see if it occurs in Clean Boot. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we continue to narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, March 03, 2010 1:58 AM
    Friday, February 26, 2010 6:55 AM
  • Some info that may be useful.

I have Windows 7 and a Tascam US-122 usb audio device attached and my "shutting down" screen hangs too. I contacted microsoft and (understandably) they won't/can't help with the problem.

I went through all the above steps and discovered the problem was hardware related, so then i unplugged each item one by one until i learnt this device was causing the problem.

The only current remedy i know of is the unplug the device BEFORE starting the shut down process, then everything is fine.

I looked for processes (as described in the M-Audio audiophile Delta249 thread) that relate to the US-122 and found nothing, so couldn't apply a similar workaround .bat file.

My next stop is Tascam, but i don't expect they'll be able to help either, since the device is quite old and they have stopped offering support for it. I guess users with this problem have to accept they have a cheap old device and shouldn't be surprised if it causes problems. My advice, buy a newer, better one.

Current choices then, unplug the device before shutdown, or fork out over 100 EUR for a newer device.

Hope this helps at least one person.

Cheers.

Phoxy

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 9:09 AM
  • I have the same problem with Tascam US122. I am getting ready to try an USB Hub with a switch. Hopefully that will work. I wonder is there's any tech savvy person out there who can figure out a way to disable certain USB devices automatically, before shutting down.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:45 PM
  • Hi,

Install the powerful antivirus program and perform a full system scan.

There might be available a lot of virus scanner and spyware detector.

That would help to remove the viruses and malware from the system.

Then close all the opened programs in your system.

Also cheek the registry, whether it is corrupted or not.

Registry is an important part, so ensure that the registry is not damaged.

Get more information to fix Windows 7 Hangs while Shutting Down . Hope this information helps you.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:15 AM
  • I have the same problem with tascam us-122, have to plug it out before shutting down. Pain in the arse! sophiemartin your advice doesn't help
    • Proposed as answer by akeel ahamad Friday, February 17, 2012 6:32 AM
    Saturday, January 07, 2012 8:00 PM
  • TRY THIS!!! IT WORKED FOR ME!!!!I was having the same issue with a brand new 64bit hp pavillion with Adobe creative suite installed. windows 7 would hang on the shutdown screen. I tried what everyone else said about un-plugging usb cables and got nothing.... Finally I discovered two things conflicting in windows 7.

1. 7-zip 64bit was lagging my system and causing a lot of crashes and freezes. Sometimes freeze on black screen with still active mose.

UNINSTALLED ...........First problem solved!!!!!!! (I will stick to pro or paid software from now on. Freeware is a windows 7 nightmare!!!)

2. Microsoft Sticky Notes...........THIS WAS MY PRIMARY PROBLEM CAUSING MY COMPUTER TO HANG ON SHUTDOWN!!! YES A MICROSOFT APP THAT CAME WITH WINDOWS!!! It started just after I made a note and left it on the desktop. when I tried to shutdown I noticed the hang! I force shutdown by holding the power button. Throught trial and error i finally deleted the note and unpinned Sticky Notes app from my taskbar  then restared my system with no hang.

So if you have any active notes and or are running 7-zip or other freeware, try turning them off or deleting or uninstaalling those first. It might save you all of the hastle. It's just sad to see that windows 7 is still avery new os and has a lot of basic bugs that I hope Microsoft fixes soon.

ANYWAY HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE

• Proposed as answer by neep8 Saturday, June 23, 2012 2:58 PM
    Saturday, February 18, 2012 5:49 AM
  • Thanks Daemame

Sticky notes did indeed stop the shutdown, restart always worked fine.... I only recently had this problem recently sticky notes has been running for months...

So I closed sticky notes and then it shutdown - fine, powered up reopened sticky notes and tried to shutdown again, which it did fine this time.

Next time it stalls on shutdown I know what to do now, haven't tried the hotfix yet, I'll wait till it balls up again.

Update: It has started to fail again it will not restart now, the above hotfix it part of SP1 no I already have it, STICKY NOTES is just a pain in the ar** get it sorted MS!!

• Edited by neep8 Sunday, June 24, 2012 10:29 PM update
    • Proposed as answer by Comptnt.com Saturday, October 13, 2012 1:30 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Comptnt.com Saturday, October 13, 2012 1:30 PM
    Saturday, June 23, 2012 3:03 PM
  • If you do not have a floppy on your system go to Answer 2. (But if you have any other drives connected to your laptop, or for those of you that have desktop systems then heed the floppy bios solution and do the same as I did with the boot-up order settings for all drives including cd/dvd drives. If you have any disabled as a alternative boot device then they could be suffering from the same problem as mine did).

Answer 1

I tried everything until I figured it out. Here it is. I had changed the setting in Bios under Boot-up Order to disable Floppy Drive because it seemed ridiculous to think that I or anyone for that matter would ever want to boot from a floppy. When I changed it back to the last drive to boot from (and enabled it of course). My system no longer hung on shutdown.

Answer 2

Now I did this after disconnecting all drives with exception to the system drive and then tried the system and it did not hang. I then added each of four additional drives (including a DVD drive, one by one and each time I did that the system shut down properly. So it could also be that is what solved the problem (if the Bios change does not fix it for you). I hope that someone benefits by this.

• Edited by Comptnt.com Saturday, October 13, 2012 1:44 PM Typos and further delineation
    Saturday, October 13, 2012 1:37 PM
  • This is obviously a BUG. Why will Microsoft not respond ?? I belive we allow them to get away with POR Quality software not fit for purpose by engagin in thes forums and trying to help people Microsoft should do it. If the software was pirated of course they should not but when it is legitimate ?
    Thursday, November 08, 2012 10:23 PM
  • Linda, please help me,

I am not so computer savy. I usually get automatic updates installed in my computer. I turned the laptop off last night and it showed I needed some updates, well I let it run the updates. It showed there were 13 updates, but it got stuck in number 7. I have turned it off by the off button twice, but it somes back to "DO NOT TURN OFF OR UNPLUG COMPUTER UNTIL UPDATES ARE INSTALLED" It shows 7 of 13 and it shows that it running, but doesn't ever finish installing nor does it let me get out of that manually.

PLEASE HELP!

Friday, May 17, 2013 4:59 AM