none
Cisco VPN Client and Windows 8.1 Preview - Determinist Network Enhancer Dilema

Answers

All replies

• If you haven't already try the latest version of the Determinist Network Enhancer available from the following link:

http://www.citrix.com/go/lp/dne.html

• Marked as answer by Gustavo-SPO Monday, July 08, 2013 12:16 AM
    Sunday, July 07, 2013 7:09 PM
  • If you haven't already try the latest version of the Determinist Network Enhancer available from the following link:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the solution!!!

DONE!!!!

Works perfect!!!

Windows 8.1 ready for business :D

Thanks, Thank you very much!

Gustavo

Monday, July 08, 2013 12:17 AM
  • FIX

Solution

Root cause

is here

Gustavo

Monday, July 08, 2013 12:22 AM
  • You're welcome.

Glad that worked. :)

Monday, July 08, 2013 11:40 AM
  • I am using Windows 8.1 and the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client version 3.1.04059 and since I upgraded to Win 8.1 the VPN stopped working, I tried the fix mentioned in this thread but no luck.

This is my problem:  I launch the Cisco VPN and enter my password, cisco tries to establish VPN - activate the VPN adapter and then it fails then tries to repair the VPN connection; but it never does.

No joy for me, anyone can provide me any help or ideas?

Thursday, July 11, 2013 4:05 AM
  • You sir, are great.  I had setup Windows XP in Hyper-V to get the VPN software installed and to work around the problem.  The latest DNE worked like a charm,  No reboot required either.  Thank you!
    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 11:30 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion-I tried this using a Surface pro running RTM 8.1, and it seemed to work, but then after a reboot, I couldn't even connect to wifi (without the VPN).  Tried enabling the virtual adapter anyway, but no help.  Only way to get connected to anything was to remove the VPN client and the DNE, and then it all went back to normal.  Still no decent workaround-next step will be to try and find a different client that works.
    Wednesday, October 02, 2013 4:52 PM
  • Tried multiple browsers, the download links on this page are dead. Where else can we can DNE drivers from, please.
    Friday, October 18, 2013 3:59 PM
  • Andy body home?
    Saturday, October 19, 2013 11:00 PM
  • The download links appear to work in the following link if that is what you are looking for:

Monday, October 21, 2013 2:41 AM
  • UPDATE-the ShrewSoft client works great: https://www.shrew.net/download/vpn  You can import the Cisco PCF file, and it seems to work faster than the stock Cisco client.
    • Proposed as answer by Chris Bardon Monday, October 21, 2013 2:11 PM
    Monday, October 21, 2013 2:10 PM
  • Hi Gustavo,

did you do anything else? The DNE fix suggested by Auggy did solve the Deterministic Network Enhancer driver problem (thanks a lot for that one Auggy) but I still cannot really use the VPN client. The Cisco VPN Adapter is started properly according to the Device Manager but when opening a VPN connection the connection fails at the phase 'Securing network communications' and then the Cisco pop-up 'Starting VPN Adapter failed' appears.

I'm running the cvpn.exe and vpngui.exe in Win7 compatibility mode and assigned full control to the CVirtA.sys and CVPNDRVA.sys files.

Any suggestion is welcome :-)

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 3:46 PM
  • Hi Gustavo,

did you do anything else to get it working? Thanks to the tip from auggy the DNE problem was solved (thanks auggy!) but still the VPN adapter didn't work properly. So I granted full control to CVirtA.sys and CVPNDRVA.sys as someone else suggested.

Now via Device Management the warning is gone and the adapter is 'working properly' but when using the VPN client it still fails at the phase 'securing communications'. The Cisco warning pops-up with the message '442 Failed to enable the Virtual Adapter'

Both cvpnd.exe and vpngui.exe are running in Windows 7 comp mode. Client is 5.0.07.0290 32-bit.

Any suggestions?

Marcel

• Proposed as answer by lucienj Thursday, October 24, 2013 6:11 AM
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 7:35 PM
  • Thanks auggy!
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 7:35 PM
  • You're welcome.

If you are still receiving the 442 error consider posting the issue on the Cisco Support forum and/or contact Cisco support.

The error has been reported before:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/6567fb84-f557-4aed-b64f-997b14a25e85/442-error-failed-to-enable-virtual-adapter?forum=winserverPN

• Proposed as answer by lucienj Thursday, October 24, 2013 6:12 AM
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 10:04 PM
  • Just to update, the legacy Cisco VPN client (5.0.07.0440 for x64, 5.0.07.0410 for x86) is working for some people. You need to apply a small workaround as explained below –

·    Open Registry editor by typingregedit in Run prompt

·    Browse to the Registry Key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\CVirtA

·    Select the DisplayName to modify, and remove the leading characters from the value data upto "%;" i.e.

o    For x86, change the value data from something like "@oem8.inf,%CVirtA_Desc%;Cisco Systems VPN Adapter” to "Cisco Systems VPN Adapter”

o    For x64, change the value data from something like "@oem8.inf,%CVirtA_Desc%;Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows” to "Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows”

·    Try connecting again

Fixed my issues

• Proposed as answer by lucienj Thursday, October 24, 2013 6:13 AM
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 6:13 AM
  • Hi Lucienj and Auggy,

thanks to you and may others. The registry fix was already applied for windows 8. But you guys did trigger me to find a newer version of the vpn client and i found 0410. replacing it over 0290 solved the problem!!! thanks a lot!

Marcel

Thursday, October 24, 2013 8:40 PM
  • Hello all,

I also faced problems running Cisco VPN client 5.0.07.0290 described here. After many tries also update to version 5.0.07.0440 it looks like the CITRIX WinFix helped! Sounded strange to me before I decied to try it, becase I thoug it is some fix for some Citrix software. But probably with some other combinations of all here and elsewhere tips described - it works. :-).

I will try to recover the steps I have done to make it work:

1 download and run Citrix winfix.exe

(if you have already installed Cisco VPN client, win fix will ask you to uninstall it first, before applying WinFix)

- restart

2 download and run Citrix dneupdate 32 or 64 bits

- restart

3 Install Cisco VPN client

4 Apply Registry Fix (here)

Browse to the Registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CVirtA

Select the DisplayName to modify, and remove the leading characters from the value data up to "%;" i.e. For x86, change the value data from the path similar to: "@oem8.inf,%CVirtA_Desc%;Cisco Systems VPN Adapter” to just "Cisco Systems VPN Adapter” For x64, change the value data from the path similar to: "@oem8.inf,%CVirtA_Desc%;Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows” to just "Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows”.

5 Apply Full Control Settings for:

c:\Windows\System32\drivers\CVirtA64.sys (64 bit edition)

c:\Windows\System32\drivers\CVPNDRVA.sys

Click the Security tab give All Application Packages, System and any other groups and/or user names full control.

Note: Determinist Network Enhancer service disapers from Network connection Properites and there is new entry DNE LightWeight Filter.

Now it finally works for me!

Thanks all

Robke

Friday, October 25, 2013 9:30 AM
  • Solved it for me. Thank you very much :)
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 7:28 PM
  • This does definitely works on Windows 8.1 64 bit. To all people still looking for a solution... this is it. Thank you Gustavo. THANK YOU.
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 7:39 AM
  • Saturday, January 04, 2014 9:20 PM
  • Install Citrix Deterministic Network Enhancer to solve Cisco IPSec VPN issue with Windows 8/8.1. Check below guide,

http://www.vmwareandme.com/2013/12/solved-windows-8-and-windows-81-cisco.html

www.mytricks.in

Monday, January 27, 2014 9:00 AM
  • Hi Robke,

thanks for the extensive instruction however I've tried your solution and still having problem

I'm running 8.1 pro 64bit

anyone has any thoughts is much appreciated. Thanks

Thursday, February 06, 2014 12:00 AM
  • Confirmed, ShrewSoft client solved my problems with Cisco VPN client.

Even after all the magic tricks with regedit, citrix fixes, so on. I was still getting a 412 error when I tried to connect. Looks like that's a "unsolvable problem" for a lot of people.

Just download ShrewSoft and you are good to go.

Thursday, February 13, 2014 5:19 PM