none
Bluetooth on Lenovo X200

Question

• Hi,

I have installed Windows 7 x64 Ultimate RTM and I have an apparently very common unsolved problem.  Lenovo (and most other laptops) have their bluetooth function which is switched on and off through software.  On lenovo, this is done by Fn + F5.  As there are still no applications for this function for Windows 7, when I open up Windows Mobility Center, I do not have the option to turn on / off bluetooth, however I think that the issue is that the device never got detected by windows 7 as I do not have a way to turn it on.  Can someone suggest how can I force bluetooth to turn on for the first time on Windows 7 maybe it will then appear in windows mobility center?

Thanks

AS
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 7:37 AM

Answers

• Notebooks sometimes require the manufacturer's drivers/software for interoperability and correct functioning as they engineer the hardware and drivers uniquely. Ensure the BIOS is the most recent and try installing the Vista drivers/software package for the bluetooth from Lenovo here. These should work. It seems that they have Vista x64 drivers for the devices. (You may want to search the drivers for your specific model as I did an all model search)

Do the same for any other hardware issues regarding unique switching or key combinations or hardware. (ie. touchpad, fingerprint reader, card reader, smart card reader) You may also want to email Lenovo support to ask if they are going to provide drivers/software support for Windows 7 for your model to assist in determining whether you'll be able to migrate to Windows 7.

You can also search Microsoft for the Windows 7 Hardware compatibilty tool to run on Vista to identify potential driver/hardware problems beforehand.

Any success?
    The problem with troubleshooting is that trouble shoots back.
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 11:39 AM
  • Because the manufacturer's are still developing the drivers, one needs to use different methods to get the hardware functioning properly as this version is still in the evaluation and testing stage. You want to get everything working with what's available now in case there is no Win 7 support from the manufacturer. Then you will have a way run Win 7 solidly.

Respond back with your result. Good Luck!
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 12:04 PM

All replies

• Notebooks sometimes require the manufacturer's drivers/software for interoperability and correct functioning as they engineer the hardware and drivers uniquely. Ensure the BIOS is the most recent and try installing the Vista drivers/software package for the bluetooth from Lenovo here. These should work. It seems that they have Vista x64 drivers for the devices. (You may want to search the drivers for your specific model as I did an all model search)

Do the same for any other hardware issues regarding unique switching or key combinations or hardware. (ie. touchpad, fingerprint reader, card reader, smart card reader) You may also want to email Lenovo support to ask if they are going to provide drivers/software support for Windows 7 for your model to assist in determining whether you'll be able to migrate to Windows 7.

You can also search Microsoft for the Windows 7 Hardware compatibilty tool to run on Vista to identify potential driver/hardware problems beforehand.

Any success?
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 11:39 AM
  • HI,

Thanks for your reply.  Vista drivers will work however I wanted to stay all MS approved software.  I will download the vista drivers as per your instructions and hopefully, Lenovo will make a 7 version in the near future.

Thanks again,

Alex
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 11:56 AM
  • Because the manufacturer's are still developing the drivers, one needs to use different methods to get the hardware functioning properly as this version is still in the evaluation and testing stage. You want to get everything working with what's available now in case there is no Win 7 support from the manufacturer. Then you will have a way run Win 7 solidly.

Respond back with your result. Good Luck!
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 12:04 PM
  • Hi,

I have installed Windows 7 x64 Ultimate RTM and I have an apparently very common unsolved problem.  Lenovo (and most other laptops) have their bluetooth function which is switched on and off through software.  On lenovo, this is done by Fn + F5.  As there are still no applications for this function for Windows 7, when I open up Windows Mobility Center, I do not have the option to turn on / off bluetooth, however I think that the issue is that the device never got detected by windows 7 as I do not have a way to turn it on.  Can someone suggest how can I force bluetooth to turn on for the first time on Windows 7 maybe it will then appear in windows mobility center?

Thanks

AS

Check the Support web site for software and in particular software for the Function keys.  On my EeePC I had to use the Vista ACPL driver to get the keys to work.  On my Dell 1501 I had to install Dell's Quickset for Vista to get all my Functions.

So, go to the Lenovo web site and see if they have Vista x64 software for the Function keys and try that.

There is a Hotkey driver @ http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-68000

Check it ouit.
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 1:05 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks

AS

There's a Hotkey driver @ http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-68000

Check it out.
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 3:47 PM
  • Hi,

First of all thanks for all your help. I think that I was not very clear in my first question.  I have all the drivers alreadt for Windows Vista / XP for this model.  My question was whether there was a way to switch on bluetooth without using Lenovo software.  I just wish not to install other 3rd party software but apparently till now this is not possible.

Thanks again,

Alex
    Sunday, August 09, 2009 7:54 AM
  • I don't think you can without some utility.  The Hoykey utility works as a switch to turn on & off certain hardware items such as WiFi, Modem, & Bluetooth, and these utilities are usually mapped to unique characteristics of the mainboard.
    Sunday, August 09, 2009 12:08 PM