none
Windows Update Error for nVidia Driver (err. 80070103)

Question

• Hi there,

I'm trying to install the nVidia driver through Windows Update for the last week but it keep on failing.

I get the following: "Windows Update Error Code 80070103".

Anybody else received this error or know why this happens?

Thanks,

Marais

Sunday, January 25, 2009 7:28 PM

Answers

• I'm not sure why it won't download, but I'd recommend using the latest NVIDIA Vista 32-bits/64-bits WHQL drivers (www.nvidia.com) for your graphics card anyway (the integrated WDDM 1.0/1.1 drivers have a few known issues). Be sure to run the installer in Vista compatibility mode and as an administrator. Right mouse click on the executable -> Properties -> Compatibility (tab) -> Check both 'Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows Vista' and 'Run this program as an administrator'.
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 7:36 PM
  • Windows Update error code 80070103 indicates that the update (or a later version) is already installed.
    I just got the same error with the 5/7/2009 nVidia nForce networking driver, which was installed 5/8 but Windows Update showed it again on 5/12.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 12:06 AM

All replies

• I'm not sure why it won't download, but I'd recommend using the latest NVIDIA Vista 32-bits/64-bits WHQL drivers (www.nvidia.com) for your graphics card anyway (the integrated WDDM 1.0/1.1 drivers have a few known issues). Be sure to run the installer in Vista compatibility mode and as an administrator. Right mouse click on the executable -> Properties -> Compatibility (tab) -> Check both 'Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows Vista' and 'Run this program as an administrator'.
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 7:36 PM
  • sweet.  thanks much.  i ended up in safe mode uninstalling the driver from the control panel, and somehow windows repaired the rest...not sure how it just happened.  I'll take your advice and install the driver from nVidia.  Thanks for the help.
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 7:49 AM
  • Keep in mind that doing so you are installing a Vista (WDDM 1.0) driver, this driver will not upgrade to the newer W7 (WDDM 1.1) when they come available on Windows Update.
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 10:03 AM
  • Windows Update error code 80070103 indicates that the update (or a later version) is already installed.
    I just got the same error with the 5/7/2009 nVidia nForce networking driver, which was installed 5/8 but Windows Update showed it again on 5/12.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 12:06 AM