none
How to install Windows 8.1 with Windows 8 Product key?

Question

• I have purchased Upgrade pack from Windows 7 to Windows 8. I have also Updated the OS to windows 8.1 through Store. How to install Windows 8.1 with Windows 8 Product key?
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 4:20 PM

Answers

All replies

• Wednesday, October 23, 2013 4:39 PM
  • Check this guide:

How to download Windows 8.1 ISO file using Windows 8 product key

http://pureinfotech.com/2013/10/19/download-windows-81-iso-using-windows-8-product-key/

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 6:44 PM
  • The download link for the Windows 8.1 installer at the Upgrade with Product Key Only does not accept a Windows 8.0 product key. I ended up using the trick suggested by Andre Ziegler in this thread to obtain the 8.1 download independent of the Windows Store, but I haven't yet checked if the 8.0 key works from 8.1 Setup.

I do IT for a living but I have plenty of family members that bring their notebook PCs to me and ask me to do the heavy lifting, and I'd rather not re-download the same 3.6 GB every single time someone tells me to fix their PC. I also want to be able to re-install 8.1 from the source media in case of a catastrophic hard disk failure and I have to replace the disk.

As an aside, tools that retrieve product keys for installed products end up retrieving the 8.0 product key from an 8.1 install that was upgraded via the Store.  It kind-of makes sense that an 8.0 key could work to install 8.1 because 8.1 is supposed to be a free upgrade for licensed 8.0 users, but this doesn't seem to work until after 8.1 is successfully installed via some trickery and the user supplies the 8.0 key to activate it.

--

Friday, March 21, 2014 12:30 PM