none
Windows 7 youtube freezes

Question

• Just upgraded to Windows 7. Youtube freezes when video plays. Any suggestions/ solutions?

HP Pavillion dv7 laptop
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 5:42 AM

Answers

All replies

• Are you using I.E or any other browser? Whats the error message?

C# Fan! ananda84(at)gmail(dot)com
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 5:53 AM
  • Greetings icktern

Make sure that you have Installed and enabled the addons for playing videos. To see and enable installed Addons in IE8 go to Tools, click on Internet Options, Select Programs tab and click on Manage add-ons.

Try the link http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpromedia/thread/c7d2a1f5-be73-4c54-b51e-16b3bdc2b006 if there is an acceleration issue.

If the problem is only in Mozilla go through the link http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?forumId=1&comments_threshold=0&comments_parentId=47141&comments_offset=0&comments_per_page=20&thread_style=commentStyle_plain .

If you are still having problem please visit the following pages

http://forums.techarena.in/technology-internet/1219058.htm
    http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=797925

If none of the above works for you please provide more information about problem like in which browser you are getting problem, in FullScreen Mode or in Normal mode, when it freezes, freezes only that browser or the whole system and more to narrow down the cause for the problem.

Thanks and Regards
    Ananda.D

NOTE - Disclaimer
    The links in this message may lead to third-party Web sites. Microsoft provides third-party resources to help you find customer service and/or technical support resources. Information at these sites may change without notice. Microsoft is not responsible for the content at any third-party Web sites and does not guarantee the accuracy of third-party information.

Tuesday, November 03, 2009 5:07 AM
  • I'm experiencing the same problem on windows 7 with both IE and Firefox in normal screen mode. It was working yesterday, but now freezes within a couple seconds of accessing a video.
    Friday, November 13, 2009 1:37 PM
  • I also have an HP pavillion laptop and upgraded to windows 7 and am having the same exact problem. It's nice not to be the only one. Ok so I've tried youtube in several browsers: IE, Firefox, Chrome, and safari and none of them work.  I've reinstalled adobe flash player, I've installed previous versions of flash player, I've updated my video drivers on my computer, and still, nothing.  I have no idea else to try.  For me, the whole browser freezes and I have to restart the browser.  When I restart my computer, I can watch one video, but if I exit my browser and restart it, I can't watch another one.  I hope someone comes up with a solution soon...
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 3:51 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for your posts.

(1) Test your Flash and Javascript from the following web pages respectively.
     http://www.youtube.com/swf_test.html
     http://www.rcrt.co.uk/onlinetools/browsers/javascripttester.jsp

(2) After you restarting the browser check for the addons required for playing the video are enabled or not. To view them goto Internet Options, select Programs Tab and click on Manage Addons.

(3) Try by uninstalling any newly installed softwares or some software which you think those might causing problem or try by System Restore.

And, for 64 bit browsers the Addons are not available yet, try 32 bit browsers.

I hope these help you.

Thanks and Regards
    Ananda.D

NOTE - Disclaimer
    The links in this message may lead to third-party Web sites. Microsoft provides third-party resources to help you find customer service and/or technical support resources. Information at these sites may change without notice. Microsoft is not responsible for the content at any third-party Web sites and does not guarantee the accuracy of third-party information.

Monday, November 30, 2009 2:07 PM
  • I am in the same boat as edonowitz (HP Pavilion upgraded to Windows 7, I have tried a bunch of browsers and updated all the normal drivers) I tried Ananda Doddagatte 's Flash and Javascript pages and it freezes the program.  The only new thing I have installed is Windows 7.  Any other ideas?
    Monday, November 30, 2009 4:32 PM
  • Ok. I found the solution that worked for me.  When upgrading to Windows 7, I started using the operating system as soon as it was done installing but if I had read the directions, it said to put the first disc back in, so it could update the drivers. So, that's what I did and it updated all the drivers that needed to be updated. Guess what? It worked. Youtube works like a charm now.
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 12:14 PM
  • These solutions do not seem to solve my problem and the problem did not exist prior to upgrading to Windows 7.  I did not install any new software following the upgrade.

Any new ideas?

Thanks
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 8:52 PM
  • This is going to sound weird as a fix for youtube but....delete your IDT sound drivers and restart windows...let windows install them....
    There is something weird about the windows sound drivers getting corrupted...

• Proposed as answer by captmorg151 Saturday, April 03, 2010 12:05 AM
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 5:57 PM
  • For myself, I went to the device manager and rolled back the IDT drivers and bingo, flash movies work again and don't lock the browser.

• Proposed as answer by carlosern Friday, June 04, 2010 7:28 PM
    Saturday, April 03, 2010 12:07 AM
  • Hi, the solution for me was update the IDT sound drivers through the device manager and restart windows. Now it's working fine in several browsers like firefox, IE, Chrome...

Friday, June 04, 2010 7:27 PM
  • I had the same problems.  There are numerous posts on upgrading drivers and such.  I have the latest drivers and the problem appears localized to 64 bit versions of windows regardless of the computer manufacturer from what I can tell.   This leads me to believe that the problem might be with an update to flash player.  I keep earlier installers and I reinstalled a 2008 version 9.0.124 and was able to play you tube videos and other SWF browser applications.  Hope this helps. 
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:47 AM
  • When I try and Update the IDT, it says that i already have the best installed ---- ATI High Definition Audio Device. I think the problem is WINDOWS 7!. Everyone is saying that it freezes during the video, but when I click on a youtube video, it opens the new page, and the first second it starts, my ENTIRE COMPUTER freezes up! All I can do is shut it off by holding the power button down. This is ridiculous!, I just bought this brand new Dell Inspiron 17R with the i3 processor, 64-bit, windows 7, and also when youtube froze up, the laptop was making a crazy loud humming sound near the hard drive. THAT WAS NOT COOL. What the XXXX Microsoft! Someone please HELP, SOMEONE!!!!!.
    Saturday, March 12, 2011 4:33 AM
  • AAARRRGGGHHHH!

Same problem here - Windows 7 64 bit on a Toshiba A665 - very frustrating, same issue whether IE, Chrome or Firefox

My 8 year old Sony boat anchor with XP is looking better all the time

Saturday, April 16, 2011 5:02 PM
  • I dont understand why the sound drivers would effect video playback..................
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:15 AM
  • Because videos have audio?
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:24 PM
  • It seems to have conflicts with older versions of windows. I have reformatted this thing several times now. I did a 'disk cleanup', and on there, there was a place to 'Clean Up System Files'. I did that and it showed a bunch of 'Previous Windows' stuff. It was 26 GB! No, not a misprint, '26' GB! After deleting all that it works fine. Yippeee!!
    • Edited by ropes end Tuesday, May 08, 2012 7:31 PM
    Tuesday, May 08, 2012 7:29 PM