none
Enable Microsoft Updates in Windows 7

Question

• I am creating our new corporate Windows 7 image (both 32 and 64 bit).  But I am trying to figure out how to enable "Microsoft updates" (not Windows Update) in the image via a reg edit or some other means that I can incorporate in an automated fashion.  I've searched on the net but haven't found any good info.  Also, I am not looking to accomplish this via Group Policy since some of our machines operate off of our domain and dont receive policies.  Can someone point me in the right direction?  Thanks. 
    Monday, August 01, 2011 8:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• In the windows update window there will be a link underneath the box which shows the update status that says something like "get updates for other microsoft products" if you click on it, it will take you to a site where you will be asked to install an add on. Once that is done you should be all set
    Monday, August 01, 2011 8:35 PM
  • Thanks, but I am already aware of doing it that way.  But from a desktop administrators standpoint, I want this set in our global image or layered on top via a registry edit or by some other means.  Does anyone know if there is a way to do this? 
    Monday, August 01, 2011 8:54 PM
  • The best way, and the Microsoft recommended way of getting this to work, is to navigate to Windows Updates> Change Settings> check the option listed as Give Me Updates for Microsoft Products And Check For New Optional Microsoft Software  When I  Update Windows option. From this point you would run Sysprep with the Unattend.xml answer file and Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup component to allow the Copy Admin Profile feature to be utilized. Once this feature is enabled, all users will see it that way. 
    Tuesday, August 02, 2011 12:13 AM
  • Thanks.
    Wednesday, August 03, 2011 1:33 PM
  • I actually stumbled across this script on technet which works quite well.  You can use this to disable or enable the MS Update service in Windows 7. 

http://blogs.technet.com/b/danbuche/archive/2010/01/07/enabling-and-disabling-microsoft-update-in-windows-7-via-script.aspx

• Marked as answer by Marshal21 Wednesday, August 03, 2011 8:10 PM
    Wednesday, August 03, 2011 5:39 PM
  • Good find!

_JoeG
    Systems Integration Consultant
    Twitter: @8bits1byte 

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, August 03, 2011 5:56 PM