none
Aero Snap function with Excel 2007 - Windows 7 Ultimate

General discussion

• When I drag the Excel Window up to the top of the screen, the Excel window maximises.

When I try to drag the Excel Window away from the top of the screen, it won't move.

Word and Powerpoint work fine, but Excel won't do it...

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 8:48 AM

All replies

• According to my test, I would like to tell you that this issue can be caused by the Office's version.

Here is my test my three comptuer:
    Test Office 2007 without any service package. I can't drag all the Office Windows away from the top of the screen.
    Test Office 2007  with SP2, we have the same symptom.
    Test Office 2010 Beta, I can drag all office Windwos from the top of the screen.

So, please let me know if your current Office is the 2007 version with SP2. In my opinion, the new service package for Office 2007 may add this feature.

I hope this can help you.

John
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 10:22 AM
  • Thanks for doing the tests John, but as far as I can see, you've found out that using Office 2007 in any of its forms always has this problem, but using the as yet unreleased Office 2010 doesn't have the problem.

I'm not sure of your logic Ronnie, but I'm not convinced that this is actually the answer...

I'd really just like to flag this symtom to MS in the hope that they fix it for their current version of Office, rather than hoping that it will be fixed in Office 2034.
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 10:03 AM
  • I'm having the same problem with Excel in Windows 7. My Excel version number is 12.0.6514.5000 SP2. Other Office programs operate as expected. John's answer promoted by Ronnie does not contain a "fix" for Office 2007. Upgrading to 2010 Beta is not a fix for this problem.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 3:48 PM
  • I'm having the same problem with Excel in Windows 7. My Excel version number is 12.0.6514.5000 SP2. Other Office programs operate as expected. John's answer promoted by Ronnie does not contain a "fix" for Office 2007. Upgrading to 2010 Beta is not a fix for this problem.
    Hi Jason

Unfortunately, sometimes the correct answer may not fix the problem, it's more like a confirmation that what you are seeing is currently the expected behavior and there is no official fix available. 

This can be helpful with preventing the user from wasting their valuable time looking for a fix that does not currently exist.

The default buttons (Top/right of the window) can be used until a fix is released.

Thanks for understanding.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:06 PM
  • Considering this has been a known bug since the early days of the Windows 7 public beta, is there a fix coming or will it likely be ignored for a while longer?
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 4:01 PM
  • Considering this has been a known bug since the early days of the Windows 7 public beta, is there a fix coming or will it likely be ignored for a while longer?

Hi

This is not considered a critical item. If there is a fix forthcoming, it will be in the forum of a hotfix for Excel.

In the meantime, you can use the Aero Snap keyboard shortcuts.

Starting with an Excel window maximized. Press WINKEY +

Down arrow
    - restore down view.
    Left Arrow - snap the window to the left side of the screen.
    Right arrow - snap the window to the right side of the screen.
    Up arrow - maximize the window. 

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Thursday, February 18, 2010 7:45 PM
  • Hi Ronnie, MS,

Has this been fixed yet?

As my excel still has the same issue, and I should have received any hotfixes that were released.

Monday, June 27, 2011 9:03 AM
  • I don't understand why this is taking so long to fix. MS were aware of the bug before win7 was released from beta. Surely it is a matter of reputational importance to MS that what was their current office version should have been compatible with their "about to be released OS"? Are there any plans to fix this? Or are we all expected to suffer until such time as we upgrade to office 2010?

The fact that it is possible to use Aero keyboard shortcuts, but not the "grab the window title" method of un-snapping a window makes it seem like there is no technical barrier, just laziness preventing a fix. I'm sure that MS do not want to be viewed as lazy when it comes to fixing flagship products.

I have to say that in my 2 years of using win7, this is the only UI quirk that bugs me. It is a shame that such a well polished OS is tarnished by very sub-standard support on what is presumably an easy fix.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 9:43 AM
  • I just upgraded to SP3 of Office 2007 and I can confirm that the problem still exists in it.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 9:14 AM
  • I was having this problem with Word and I found a fix for it, but I have no idea where I found that answer at now. It had to do with a problem in a specific template and deleting and rebooting Word. It fixed the problem and now I am trying to find the solution again because I now need to fix Excel. I really wish I would have written that answer down somewhere now...
    Saturday, February 04, 2012 8:24 PM
  • This annoys me on a daily basis too - on a multi monitor setup I can simply 'flick' a fullscreen application (explorer, IE, Outlook, Word etc) to the other monitor by clicking and draging the title bar of the application; it 'snaps' into place (fullscreen) on the other monitor.

Well... all except Excel, whereby you have to double-click to 'normalize' it, drag it to the other window and double click to 'maximize' it once more.

Can't believe Microsoft have still not even bothered to fix this - poor show :(

• Edited by DavidDansey Wednesday, July 18, 2012 10:12 AM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 10:11 AM
  • I too find this little bug highly annoying since I have dual monitors.

PLEASE Microsoft! Fix this bug!

Thank you.

Saturday, July 28, 2012 3:51 AM
  • I know it's a 2 year old thread, but could you not just use the windows key and left/right keys?

That snaps it to the side of your choosing, without having to use the mouse. And therefore more time saved by just keeping your hands on the keyboard.

Apologies for the resurrection!

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 6:15 PM