none

Question

• Hi

My computer froze up while I was using Outlook and earlier in the day it acted like it couldn't recognize word (Office 2007) and I had to hard shut it down.  Upon boot up I get the following error and I received ZERO help from the Sony Vaio website.  I do not have a windows installation disc they said it was on a 5gb partition on my hard drive but can't get it to boot up so I think it is a joke.

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.  To fix the problem - insert windows installation disc and do the following

(1) Insert the Windows installation disc & restart the computer

(2) Choose language & click next

(3) Click repair your computer

File:\Windows\SYSTEM32\Drivers\SSIDRV.SYS

Info: Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing, or corrupt.

However, like I said I do not have a windows installation disc............ how can I fix this without 

completely reinstalling windows vista professional?  I can not lose my data...... it will really impact my job.

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can give me!

Sincerely,

Kimberly

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 6:53 AM

Answers

• Hi Kimberly,

Based on my experience, it is no way to repair system file corrupt without a OS installation disc. You may need to find a Windows Vista installation disc.

Thanks.
    -----------------------------
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, December 06, 2007 10:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Kimberly,

Based on my experience, it is no way to repair system file corrupt without a OS installation disc. You may need to find a Windows Vista installation disc.

Thanks.
    -----------------------------
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, December 06, 2007 10:42 AM
  • Thank you Mr. Wang, I spent an hour on the line with Sony support and we came to the same conclusion.  Unfortunately I thought my IT person made recovery discs so I did not........ bad assumption.  I should have asked because we don't have them so I am going to have to send my laptop in for repair.  At least it is still under warranty.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply and sharing your experiences. 

Have a lovely weekend!

Kimberly

Saturday, December 08, 2007 2:21 AM
  • Hi

My computer froze up while I was using Outlook and earlier in the day it acted like it couldn't recognize word (Office 2007) and I had to hard shut it down.  Upon boot up I get the following error and I received ZERO help from the Sony Vaio website.  I do not have a windows installation disc they said it was on a 5gb partition on my hard drive but can't get it to boot up so I think it is a joke.

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.  To fix the problem - insert windows installation disc and do the following

(1) Insert the Windows installation disc & restart the computer

(2) Choose language & click next

(3) Click repair your computer

File:\Windows\SYSTEM32\Drivers\SSIDRV.SYS

Info: Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing, or corrupt.

However, like I said I do not have a windows installation disc............ how can I fix this without 

completely reinstalling windows vista professional? I can not lose my data...... it will really impact my job.

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can give me!

Sincerely,

Kimberly

But what about if you don't have the recovery disc ? could buy one? or you can only get one from your computer. I don't might losing all my stuff i just want my computer to work again!. what can i do?
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 3:04 PM