none
How do I watch DVD's in Windows 7 Media Center.

Question

• My problem is very much related to an earlier thread, http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpromedia/thread/de0a2f03-fdb1-42ee-9800-8d456fa0cfaa but as this has been marked as answered, I do not believe, that anyone from Microsoft is aware of this problem.

The problem is, that on W7 based systems with nVidia graphic adapters, Region2 DVD's stop after a random time. Pressing play will restart DVD playback. The following is information, I have provided in this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpromedia/thread/df9903d4-351b-47ec-8a51-4665e317fb33

Problem is observed on following systems (also tried even newer drivers):

1: Atom 330 Based ION motherboard 2x2 gb DDR2-RAM, running W7 home premium, build 7600. Also tried running W7 Ultimate RC1, build 7100. Both 64-bit versions.

2: Dell Precision M4400 laptop, Core2duo P8600, 2x2 gb DDR2-RAM, nVidia Quadro FX770m, running W7 enterprise, build 7600, 32-bit.

On system 1, I have tried the following, as suggested by threads here, at nVidia forums and The Green Button.

*New installed system, no drivers other than what comes with W7 and Windows update
    *nVidia drivers: 190.62 WHQL, 191.07 WHQL, 195.39 Beta, 195.62 WHQL, 195.81 Beta.
    *Disabled HDMI audio, running through analog output.
    *Tried to disable PhysX, as suggested on other sites - this is not an available option on ION drivers, apparently.
    *Disabled subtitles
    *DVDs are stored on a server as VIDEO_TS files, and played via network. Also, I have tried to copy files to local harddisk, playing, as well as connecting a SATA DVD drive and playing the original DVDs.
    *Updated DirectX drivers through web-update from Windows update.

All DVDs are Region 2, PAL.

This drives me nuts, as the reason for building this system was to get rid of my DVD player and instead store all movies on my server, thus minimizing the risk of my 2-year old daugther scratch the disks. As of now, I own a "brick" as my media center PC is of no use, whatsoever.

Saturday, May 15, 2010 9:58 AM

All replies

• I second that. I have serveral machines running Win7 Media Center with nVidia graphics cards, both home built and preassembled and have this problem on all of them. This problem has been there since the beta versions of Win7. The thread mentioned above had some activity from Microsoftees, but then they abandoned it which I fins totally outrageous. This makes Win 7 Media Center totally useless for DVD playback with subtitles in the PAL-region. I have always been a firm Microsoft avocate, but this matter starts to make me consider going Apple instead. From what I hear, they do listen to their customers...

I don't care if this is an issue with the graphics card driver or not. It does work in Windows Media Player, but not in Media Center. It did work in Vista but not in Win7. It has been reported in one of the most active and read threads of this forum. I would have thought that for any consumer aware organisation that would result in some kind of response and action...

Jonas

Saturday, May 15, 2010 10:06 AM
  • I'm still searching for a solution. ATI is not an option for me as i use the S/PDIF input from the NVIDIA.

Windows Vista worked fine on this PC (and still does), but hey i bought Windows 7, so i want to use it also...

Sunday, May 30, 2010 8:21 AM
  • I'm experiencing the same problem with my Windows 7 and Nvidia card.

When I play a movie with subtitles it randomly hang on play back. when it hangs you cannot watch the rest of the movie. you have to go back to the DVD menu and play all over again.

Then cross your fingers and hope it doesn't hang again.

This problem is very annoying. i have to play my movies with other software than windows 7 media center.

I'll hope microsoft will come with an fix. this problem is occuring for more then a year now. it's discussed on multiple fora and Microsoft didn't fixed it yet.

Monday, June 21, 2010 3:00 PM
  • Just installed Vista this weekend. DVD's now play back flawless.

I will still follow these forums, as I hope that some solution will show up, making it possible to use Win7, as I find this superior to Vista in all other contexts.

Friday, July 09, 2010 7:33 AM
  • Just installed Vista this weekend. DVD's now play back flawless.

I will still follow these forums, as I hope that some solution will show up, making it possible to use Win7, as I find this superior to Vista in all other contexts.

Friday, July 09, 2010 7:33 AM
  • Hotfix now released: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=2427341

Looking forward to try...

Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:33 AM
  • Hotfix now released: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=2427341

Looking forward to try...

Did this solved the problem? please mark as answer.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:35 PM