none
Bad Windows Update 4/10/2013??

Question

• I'm seeing an unusually large number of alerts coming in for our customers computers this morning.  We're getting system log event 55 "The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable.  Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume OS."

The only thing that comes to mind that could effect a mass number of devices in the Windows Update released last night.  Anyone else experiencing this issue?  Does anyone have info on a bad update from last night?

Thanks!

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 1:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• On our small network, we've had several machines with that same message in the event log.  Seems like a reboot (and in some cases a chkdsk) fixes the issue.  Not sure which update was the culprit, but it's been a pain.  (The reason I'm attributing it to the updates is that we had event logs that were completely clean until about 3:20am when the updates started.  After that point we had lots of odd entries in both system and application logs... one mentioned that a "user registry handle leaked...".)  We also had two servers experience network problems... until we finally rebooted them - both mentioned the event log message you referenced.  Good luck!

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 5:56 PM
  • Scott, you may want to reboot and test again to see if your system runs a chkdsk again.  Also, from an elevated command prompt, run "chkntfs c:" to see if your file system is marked dirty.

Apparently the culprit is KB2823324.  I had this same question posted in another sub-forum as well:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/245c2696-59cb-4a05-94fe-ff763867f677

There also seem to be problems related to Kaspersky products (which we run).  You need to uninstall that above mentioned KB, reboot, let chkdsk run, and then the dirty bit should be removed and all should be well.  See the link to the forum above for more details from user "FunnyLittleWop."

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 7:28 PM