none
How to deactivate an active partition?

Question

• I accidentally made another active partition on another hard drive. How do I deactivate that partition under windows (XP and Vista)?

Thanks!
    Sunday, January 06, 2008 4:09 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can use the following steps to de-active a active partition:

1. Open Command Prompt.

2.  Type: diskpart

3.  At the DISKPART prompt, type:  list disk  (This command will list all the disks that you have)

4.  In the next prompt, type: select disk # ( # means the number of the disk which contain the wrong active partition )

5.  At the DISKPART prompt, type: list partition

6.  Use the command: select partition # (# means the number of the partition that you want to mark as active)

7.  Inactive the active partition with command: inactive

Important Note: We strongly recommend that perform a full backup before this procedure. 

By the way, there is a helpful article about disk management, for your reference:

Mark a partition as active (32-bit only)
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/65982abe-19cc-446b-8027-a00bed65abd91033.mspx?mfr=true

It’s about active a partition. However, the inactive process is almost same.

I hope it helps.
    -----------------------------
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 12:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can use the following steps to de-active a active partition:

1. Open Command Prompt.

2.  Type: diskpart

3.  At the DISKPART prompt, type:  list disk  (This command will list all the disks that you have)

4.  In the next prompt, type: select disk # ( # means the number of the disk which contain the wrong active partition )

5.  At the DISKPART prompt, type: list partition

6.  Use the command: select partition # (# means the number of the partition that you want to mark as active)

7.  Inactive the active partition with command: inactive

Important Note: We strongly recommend that perform a full backup before this procedure. 

By the way, there is a helpful article about disk management, for your reference:

Mark a partition as active (32-bit only)
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/65982abe-19cc-446b-8027-a00bed65abd91033.mspx?mfr=true

It’s about active a partition. However, the inactive process is almost same.

I hope it helps.
    -----------------------------
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 12:56 AM
  •  You Rock buddy. Your solution is perfect and it worked for me. But what was missing is : opening cmd.exe as administrator. But hey the solution is perfect and it worked for me. I accidently marked by external HDD as active....And I wanted to revert it but there is no "undo" button. I searched and landed here.

KamShah

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:42 PM
  • Thanks bro you a g

Friday, April 19, 2013 12:55 AM
  • Plsss help me if i m typing disk# it is not listing the disks.
    by mistake i marks as active one of my disk partition now the space of that disk is reduced from my total size of the disk so pls tell me what i have to do for it??PLSSSSS
    Thursday, October 03, 2013 5:23 PM