none
Teac external USB floppy device driver software not successfully installed... ?

Question

• EDIT - this probably should have been put under hardware compatability - Mod, please move. tnx!

Model FDUSB-TM2    external USB floppy

I noticed this when I first started playing with Win7 7000.  Waited until now - this is still not a priority - if I need a floppy in Win then I can pull my old internal one out and plug it in.

This is an external USB floppy TEAC FD-05PUB
    Works fine under Vista.
    works fine booting floppy at boot.

When I plug it in and Win7 sees it I get

"device driver software was not successfully installed
    please consult with your device manufacturer etc  (there never was any separate driver for this)
    TEAC FD-05PUB USB Device   X Failed
    TEAC USB Floppy                    <checkmark> ready to use

Device Manager shows "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

Anybody know any way to fix this under 7000?

is it the fault of 7000, or do I need a new external floppy which will work under Win7

Or should I just wait until RTM!

tia!!!!!

Kris -------- Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, E7200 2.53@3.8ghz, 2x1gb OCZ Reaper1150@1203, EVGA 9800GTX+ N873 , BFG GS-650, Vista Ult 32 SP1 / Win 7 7000
    • Moved by Ronnie VernonMVP, Moderator Saturday, February 28, 2009 6:52 AM Requested Move (Moved from Windows 7 Miscellaneous to Windows 7 Hardware Compatibility)
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 1:26 AM

Answers

All replies

• i dont have an answer to your question. i was just wondering why on earth would you still need a floppy drive?
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 4:09 AM
  • egads said:

maybe because it's more reliable than dvd-rw

you having problems with your dvd-rw?

Kris -------- Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, E7200 2.53@3.8ghz, 2x1gb OCZ Reaper1150@1203, EVGA 9800GTX+ N873 , BFG GS-650, Vista Ult 32 SP1 / Win 7 7000
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 5:09 AM
  • I tried it a little under Win7.  It didn't seem substantially improved over Vista, where  I cannot get dvd-RW media to work with Live File System / UDF at all.  I found a partial workaround (very partial) is to make sure to never write individual files in the root directory.  Only put folders in the root.

If you have any dvd-RW media around, I'd like to hear your experience with it.

I'm really annoyed and disappointed with this, as I had hoped to be able to use dvd-RW the same way I once used floppies.  I mean, heck, I have 20 year old floppies that are still reliable.  Hasn't 10 years been enough time for Microsoft to perfect dvd-RW support?  Only now with Win7 are they supporting ISO?  Even then, you can't mount them?  OK, I give.  Maybe floppy drives are mature enough technology for Microsoft to bother with.

Saturday, February 28, 2009 6:17 AM
  • In answer to the question of the need for floppy diskette device support, some systems require installation of additional drivers during the setup process, such as for raid array sets and some scsi drives.

While windows 7 setup supports onboard floppy devices , alot of late release systems have no onboard a-drive support but have BIOS usb floppy drive support - unfortunately , to my current experience and knowledge, windows 7 setup does not support usb floppy drives, hence an un-installable configuration
    Sunday, March 01, 2009 6:19 AM
  • tigerbright said:

In answer to the question of the need for floppy diskette device support, some systems require installation of additional drivers during the setup process, such as for raid array sets and some scsi drives.

While windows 7 setup supports onboard floppy devices , alot of late release systems have no onboard a-drive support but have BIOS usb floppy drive support - unfortunately , to my current experience and knowledge, windows 7 setup does not support usb floppy drives, hence an un-installable configuration

Thanks!

Interesting!

My mobo is exceedingly recent - darn new, in fact (specs in sig line below).  It does have an onboard floppy cable socket and BIOS support.  It also has BIOS USB floppy support and can boot from a USB floppy.

I think you're right that Win7 setup does not support USB floppy, and even going back to vista, which I was on when I got the mobo not too many months ago, and had my drivers (which turned out not to be needed)(I do not use AHCI or RAID)(Vista has vanilla ICH10 support) on a little flash dongle ready to go.  Now the dongle is relegated to doing BIOS flashes using Gigabyte's Q-flash - a built in BIOS proggy that flashes directly from HD or dongle (or floppy).  it got fired from ready-boost duty.

There is clearly a different driver set in Win7 as in Vista, as one would expect, and it may simply be too old.  found it at a Goodwill so I didn't lose too much, but I'm a geek and try to see if things work, whether I need it right then, or not.

I had also gotten a Antec 300 case which only has 3 front 5 1/2 slots and no floppy space, so 2 opticals and a digital temp readout left me hankering for an external!

Ah well!   This is truly a minor issue.  Thanks for your time!

Sunday, March 01, 2009 6:40 AM
  • Same here.
    Teac external USB floppy does not install on my Thinkpad X61T and my workstation (GA P35-DQ6 mainboard).
    Sunday, March 01, 2009 1:35 PM
  • pmeinl said:

Same here.
    Teac external USB floppy does not install on my Thinkpad X61T and my workstation (GA P35-DQ6 mainboard).

yeah - it goes in the parts drawer for now.  When final comes out I'll pull it out and try it again - if it doesn't work I'll bit bucket it, or fleabay it or whatever - absolutely no loss.  I have an internal one ready to go (also in parts bucket) if need be, so end of "problem"!

Gad, everything on Win7 has been so easy.     Love it!!!!!!!

I guess the biggest external change was the task bar - I was surprised how quickly I got used to it and like it much better than previous NTs.
    The guts are very similar to 6.0 so that was/is easy.

Help on these MSTechNet forums is tops!

Sunday, March 01, 2009 6:44 PM
  • My internal (I forget the model) 3.5" Floppy drive worked with a couple of Linux versions and with Xp, but does not work with Windows 7.  The drive is recognized in Windows Explorer, but a known good disc is not recognized when inserted.  I am assuming that support has been discontinued.  I do hope not but I fear so.  Can anyone give me a certain answer to this?
    John Shelton
    Monday, March 02, 2009 6:52 PM
  • Kword88, I don't know why KrisM77 still needs a 3.5 Floppy drive; but I still need a 3.5 Floppy drive because I still have 3.5 Floppy discs with information on them that I still use.  I do not have ANY computer generated CDs that have retained the information on them as long as my floppys have.   (Same goes for Zip discs)
    John Shelton
    Monday, March 02, 2009 6:59 PM
  • john3347 said:

Kword88, I don't know why KrisM77 still needs a 3.5 Floppy drive; but I still need a 3.5 Floppy drive because I still have 3.5 Floppy discs with information on them that I still use.  I do not have ANY computer generated CDs that have retained the information on them as long as my floppys have.   (Same goes for Zip discs)

John Shelton

There IS Floppy support in Win7.  I just went and checked.

I thought I had done this before, but apparently not in this build or install as Win7 had to install the drivers.  -

So, just for you (and you had me wondering!!!),

I popped the cover, plugged the floppy into the mobo, powered on, turned it on in the BIOS,  booted, and it took Win7 about a minute to finish loading the drivers for it, then it said successful, and I stuck a floppy in and it reads it fine.

i have 20 or so floppies with various info - mostly bootable and executable, some diagnostic.   I haven't had to access that info since I put up Win7, but who knows!  murphy says clearly that if I CAN acces it, I won't need to.  :o)

Now I'll remove the floppy as I have no easy place to mount it in this particular case.

This internal floppy is a Panasonic  JU-257A624P  L  F1249   011776       (I don't know which one of those is actually the model number!)
    1.44mb   floppy interface.  it's an old one.  Pana apparently stopped making floppy drives a while ago - nothing on their web site.

Monday, March 02, 2009 8:38 PM
  • FWIW - installing Windows 2000 into VPC07 on Win7 requires a floppy drive - and I got the same error when using my Mitsumi USB floppy.

In VPC07 the solution was pretty easy - just mount the image of the floppy (I managed to locate .img copies of the floppies).
    - John
    Monday, March 02, 2009 8:59 PM
    Answerer
  • usasma said:

FWIW - installing Windows 2000 into VPC07 on Win7 requires a floppy drive - and I got the same error when using my Mitsumi USB floppy.

In VPC07 the solution was pretty easy - just mount the image of the floppy (I managed to locate .img copies of the floppies).

- John

good catch!

Does your Mitsumi USB floppy work at all under Win7?

Monday, March 02, 2009 11:43 PM
  • Hi - maybe because of the need to install windows 7 onto 15,000rpm SCSI hard disk drives...
    Tuesday, March 03, 2009 8:57 AM
  • KrisM77 said:

john3347 said:

Kword88, I don't know why KrisM77 still needs a 3.5 Floppy drive; but I still need a 3.5 Floppy drive because I still have 3.5 Floppy discs with information on them that I still use.  I do not have ANY computer generated CDs that have retained the information on them as long as my floppys have.   (Same goes for Zip discs)

John Shelton

There IS Floppy support in Win7.  I just went and checked.

I thought I had done this before, but apparently not in this build or install as Win7 had to install the drivers.  -

So, just for you (and you had me wondering!!!),

I popped the cover, plugged the floppy into the mobo, powered on, turned it on in the BIOS,  booted, and it took Win7 about a minute to finish loading the drivers for it, then it said successful, and I stuck a floppy in and it reads it fine.

i have 20 or so floppies with various info - mostly bootable and executable, some diagnostic.   I haven't had to access that info since I put up Win7, but who knows!  murphy says clearly that if I CAN acces it, I won't need to.  :o)

Now I'll remove the floppy as I have no easy place to mount it in this particular case.

This internal floppy is a Panasonic  JU-257A624P  L  F1249   011776       (I don't know which one of those is actually the model number!)
    1.44mb   floppy interface.  it's an old one.  Pana apparently stopped making floppy drives a while ago - nothing on their web site.

Greetings Kris , now that you have confirmed that windows 7 does support onboard floppy drives (which i had previously mentioned that it did) - and which I can assure you includes win7 setup - you might want to consider installing a twin hdd raid mode 0 array set - to really wake up hard disk drive intensive tasks, which i can also assure you works very well using windows 7.
    Greg

Tuesday, March 03, 2009 9:09 AM
  • @tigerbright Greetings Kris , now that you have confirmed that windows 7 does support onboard floppy drives (which i had previously mentioned that it did)

Sorry, missed you're saying that!

@tigerbright - and which I can assure you includes win7 setup - you might want to consider installing a twin hdd raid mode 0 array set - to really wake up hard disk drive intensive tasks, which i can also assure you works very well using windows 7.
    Greg

No...  I've got Win7 on a raptor.  That's fast enough for me and my little system!  Besides, nothing I have is really HD intensive, outside of the opsys.  The Hitachis run at 90 or so and handle the rest, easily.

Tuesday, March 03, 2009 3:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by KrisM77 Thursday, March 05, 2009 6:58 PM
    Thursday, March 05, 2009 5:24 PM

• (repeat)  THANKS!  I had trouble with access so I:   copied Vista's one to a hold folder, renamed it to new, copied that to system32/drivers, booted under an old Barts PE and did a double rename from there.  Works perfectly as you said!  THANKS
    Kris -------- Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P F7, E7200 2.53@3.76ghz, 2x1gb OCZ Reaper1150@1188, EVGA 9800GTX+ N873 , Win 7 7000
    Thursday, March 05, 2009 6:58 PM
  • Your lucky... my laptop, ASUS G73Jh i7 1.73 GHz with 6 GB ram 64 bit Home Premium.... has no idea it's even there when I plug the USB floppy drive in.  Anyone have any suggestions as how to fix that?

Even after re-boot with a (blank or not) floppy in, still nothing even in the device manager.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 12:12 AM