none
Quicken in Windows 7

Question

• I got a new desktop with Windows 7 64 bit installed. I have been using Quicken Home and Business 99 since it came out and it has worked fine with all the different versions of windows. I bought a new version of Quicken to work on the new computer but don't like it as well as my 99 version. I uninstalled the new version and using the original disk, installed my old one. All went well except when I start the program, the screen is blank until I run my mouse over it and then it will fill in where the mouse crosses. Is there a way to get the graphics to be visable when I start the program?

Friday, April 23, 2010 9:11 PM

Answers

• Hi Ohio Joe,

According to Windows 7 Compatibility Center, it seems only Quicken 2010 is compatible with Windows. I think it's better to use the newer version for better performance.

If you still would like to use the older version, you can contact Quicken directly to confirm this compatibility issue and see if there is any workaround to resolve the issue.

In the meantime, you can try installing the software in the Compatibility Mode to see if it works.

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Thursday, April 29, 2010 9:21 AM
    Monday, April 26, 2010 7:32 AM

All replies

• Hi Ohio Joe,

According to Windows 7 Compatibility Center, it seems only Quicken 2010 is compatible with Windows. I think it's better to use the newer version for better performance.

If you still would like to use the older version, you can contact Quicken directly to confirm this compatibility issue and see if there is any workaround to resolve the issue.

In the meantime, you can try installing the software in the Compatibility Mode to see if it works.

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Thursday, April 29, 2010 9:21 AM
    Monday, April 26, 2010 7:32 AM
  • Thanks Linda.

I found out that if I launch the quick entry mode of Quicken, then slide my mouse over the top right corner the "Start Quicken" tab is visible. I can click on it and the program comes up normally. A little inconvient but it works.

Just curious. How do you install a program in compatability mode?

Friday, April 30, 2010 6:27 PM
  • "Install" is the wrong word.  Actually you start the app in compatibility mode by simply right-clicking on the icon and then selecting the Compatibility tab and then making your selections there.

The icon controls how the program behaves when it is run...not the install.

Mike N.
    Saturday, May 01, 2010 6:42 PM
  • I don't think Quicken 2010 is compatible in Windows 7!  I tried everything but standing on my head today to get it installed from a CD on my new laptop with Windows 7.  Run as admin., turned off ALL antivirus and firewalls while disconnected from the internet.  Used chat support and downloaded and tried to install.  With the antiviruses, etc. off I can get it to about 90-95% installed.  EVERY time I get - Quicken failed to install - Exit Code 1911.  I do not know what else to try.  I've tried all sorts of compatibility modes, etc.  The label on the disk says it's for Windows 7 but something is not meshing. 

Any Answers?

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 2:42 AM
  • On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 02:42:19 +0000, Labfish wrote:

I don't think Quicken 2010 is compatible in Windows 7! 

It is. I, and several others I know, run it under Windows 7 without a
    problem.

Ken Blake
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 2:58 AM
  • Hi

Quicken99 Home and Business installed fine on Win7 (32 bit).

I was concerned after many searches on the net that indicated incompatibility.

I have just installed it on a new (3 months old refurbished HP machine) and the only concern was the old "help" file format. However there was a patch for that. It loads "seemingly" normally but will know more once I transfer my files from my old Win XP machine.

Out of curiosity, for the folks for whom it did not install/work, was it a brand new machine made for Win7 or an upgraded (from XP or Vista O/S) machine? One of the posts above mentions 64 bit  Any others failed with 64 bit?

Sam

• Edited by learnstuff Tuesday, March 06, 2012 6:40 PM
    Tuesday, March 06, 2012 6:34 PM
  • Wednesday, March 14, 2012 6:53 PM
  • I am trying to install Quicken on my grandparents new Windows 7 64-bit PC and when I launch setup.exe, I get an error: You must launch this program from the Windows Program Manager.  I click OK and it closes.  I have tried various settings on the Compatibility tab to no avail.  This PC is 3 hours away and although I thought I put Quicken 99 in the tray, I'm starting to wonder if maybe I put the wrong disc in and this is an even older version of Quicken...

Sr System Engineer | Vision One IT Consulting | www.v1corp.com

Thursday, April 05, 2012 1:02 PM