none
STOP Error 0x0000008E

Question

• I am running into an extremely hard to reproduce set of errors that I just can't seem to figure out. About 5 minutes ago I received a BSOD with a STOP error of 0x0000008E. The standard memory dump/restart process begin. I figured this was coming soon because last night my system had all of a sudden lost it's networking capabilities - that's always the first sign that something is about to be hosed with this system.

A little background first though..

I purchased the components for a new system back in November. Gigabyte motherboard, AMD X2 processor, 4GB Geil RAM, WD Raptor and a 500GB WD drive. I installed the x64 version of Vista and everything was smoking fast - exactly as I had expected it. About a month later my network connection died and then a BSOD/restart occurred. After multiple BSOD's and finally STOP errors to the point of the system saying it was missing files and couldn't boot at all. Even though it was the RTM version of Vista Ultimate x64 I just figured it was some weird incompatibility so I figured I'd install the x86 version and be done with it. About a month later, after everything was working dead-on perfect again, the issues started surfacing. After being unable to find a solution via Google or anywhere else I posted some forums questions to different places. A recommendation of testing the RAM and upgrading the BIOS came in. I went ahead and did this and everything was perfect - BIOS upgrade was successful and the memory tested great. Same issues persisted though. A friend recommended using MemTest to test the RAM overnight this time to see if that could find any issues. I had all 4GB (4 1GB sticks) in and the test had only run for about 45 minutes before it found errors. I went ahead and started the process of testing all sticks individually overnight to find the culprit. Each stick passed 30+ times except for one - it had two memory block issues. I have since pulled the stick and contacted Geil regarding an RMA. Everything was working great again - graphics actually looked a little crisper and more like I had expected considering the hardware I was running on. Now the BSOD's are back.

I'm at a loss. I've tested the RAM overnight and with it being so much it's quite a hassle to start the process all over again, but if that's what I have to do I guess I will. I've upgraded the BIOS and tested the hard drives with Western Digital's tools and can't find an issue. The biggest issue with this is, even with the x64 version, there are NEVER event logs being created. The system BSOD's and restarts but there are no errors! Considering the testing I've done already, I can't figure out what the issue might be.

Can anyone help?

Sunday, February 11, 2007 9:08 PM

Answers

• The way I fixed this error on a WinXP Home PC we had in the workshop was to startup in safe mode (continually press F8 during the boot process until a menu is displayed. Select safe mode and then yes at the message that follows) Once Safe mode has started, goto your start button and then run. Type in msconfig and go to the startup tab. UN-check all nonessential startup items including VGA drivers. Hit apply then ok. The system will restart. Allow it to start normally. If this gets you into windows manually add one startup item at a time allowing the PC to restart each time. You'll know which item is causing the problem by following this proceedure.

In this case it was cli.exe associated with the ATI graphics package.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Thursday, November 06, 2008 2:11 AM

All replies

• I had a problem like that once. After testing all the hardware components, and reinstalling the OS it turned out to be the mainboard.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 12:09 AM
  • I am having the same problem and have no idea what the problem is I have run test after test on all the hardware and even swapped out all the hardware and I end up having the issues with the 0x0000008E error. In my experience it has always been the memory with that error though I have swapped out the memory, then motherboard, processor, video card, power supply and of course reinstalled the os. I am running win xp 32bit. Any thoughts would be helpful if you have any please email me at dja242004@gmail.com
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 4:52 AM
  • I have a HP Pavilion m7334n running XP MCE with frequent and unpredictable  BSOD 0x0000008e Stop Error.

I bought it from FutureShop.ca last June. It was a reburbished unit which I took to mean was broken , now fixed. Error on my part. Was and still is broke. 5 trips to the shop during the 90 day warranty, 3 months of trying to find the solution on my own, an extended service plan and a month of discussion with HP service reps arround the world, 5 distructive restores, 1 manufacturers wipe, every test that PC Doctor 5 has Twice, over the internet fiddling by a HP guy and HP are now telling me I can't possibly have a legal m7334n because that unit was was not released for sale in Canada (read to mean we have no idea what is wrong with your computer and we are not going to stand by our product. You are on your own buddy!) You get the picture.

The full error message is:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0x0000005, 0xBF8B00E5, 0xF201E7BC, 0x00000000) *** WIN32k.sys. ADDRESS BF8B00E5 BASE at BF800000, Datestamp 43446a58

I have recorded the following variations:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC000005, 0xBF8B00E5, 0xB7BD46EC, 0x00000000) *** WIN32k.sys. ADDRESS BF8B00E5 BASE at BF800000, Datestamp 43446a58

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0x0000005, 0xBF8B00E5, 0xEDFBE7BC, 0x00000000) *** WIN32k.sys. ADDRESS BF8B00E5 BASE at BF800000, Datestamp 43446a58

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC000005, 0xBF8B00E5, 0xEE7547BC, 0x00000000) *** WIN32k.sys. ADDRESS BF8B00E5 BASE at BF800000, Datestamp 43446a58

If anyone can help I would be grateful.

I should have bought the ACER

Monday, March 05, 2007 1:57 AM
  • listen The error is also caused by a virus called HaxDoor virus  this microsoft article pretains to this http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/903251. I understand that the article dosn't seem to apply to vista but it may be something to check since I don't know your surfing nor your email habits. If not the main board or ram is causing the issues--- I've seen this if the speed between the motherboards chipset and the ram are not transferring information across the board properly ie. at the same speed and there is a tendency toward data corruption, just something to check hope it works out for you.....
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 9:00 PM
  • What about for Vista users? Thanks for your help.

Sunday, November 18, 2007 7:49 PM
  • I'm getting this error too.  Did you (or anyone) find the root cause?

Monday, February 04, 2008 2:19 PM
  • I'm repairing an old Compaq Presario 6000.  I found it was the power supply.  I replaced it with known good one, (300w), and it has been running solid for 3 days striaght.  With the old PSU it would fail within minutes after boot.
    Hope this helps.
    Brian

Sunday, February 17, 2008 1:36 AM
  • From experience this is most likely related to the RAM.  MS KB article indicates it is either RAM or the RAM config.  Today, I decided to push my GEIL DDR2 800 from 4-4-4-15 timing to 4-4-4-12 (supposedly my RAM can do this spec).  It booted fine on my Asus P5B-E board, got to the logon screen, then I typed in my credential, then the BSOD.  Booted back to the BIOS to change to 4-4-4-13 and all is fine.  I didn't change my RAM voltage, or any other timings.

Hope this info helps.

Thursday, February 21, 2008 1:43 AM
  • I received this error after updating McAfee on my Vista Home Premium machine (this particular update required a restart).  After I uninstalled it in Safe Mode, my machine came back up fine.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 9:00 PM
  •  

ok did anyone find the solution to this problem? lets see this is what my computer has in it XFX nForce 680i LT SLI motherboard, GeForce 8800 GS XXX Alpha Dog edition GPU x2 only one is in right now, 2 sticks of 2 GB each OCZ Vista Dual Channle RAM, Baracuda 500 GB sata Hard drive and Vista Home Premium system builder edition

well here is my problem no matter what i do Vista refuses to install on my computer same with XP it just keeps on givieng me alot of BSOD i get alot of them and i had the manufacter replace the mainboard once and they also checked my GPUs and nothign was wrong wiht them and i also had OCZ repalce the RAM and the only old parts are my DVD-RW drive and my A drive and computer case everything else is new

these are a list of BSOD errors PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA Stop: 0x00000050

PFN_LIST_CURRUPT

unknowen Hard Error

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

BAD_POOL_HEADER

{fatal system error}

Saturday, July 26, 2008 5:03 AM
  • I have this problem right now ! I have removed new ram put in old ram and are getting two errors.Took me 3 hours to restore windows vista 64 bit home premium.I cant play any game or anything else as the game crashes.then take me to the dreaded blue screen.

With all the posts i have seen it cant be us it must be something else and id bet its windows based problem.

Saturday, September 20, 2008 7:52 AM
  • Hi

I have been bugged with this error code 0x0000008e while trying to install Win XP on a computer along with a few more codes. I had tried all the cures mentioned memory cd rom changed hard drive. I thought I would have one more try and I had a spare CPU and yes that cured it now installs windows. The point I am making I ran a Diagnostic Floppy and the motherboard and cpu tested with a pass and I had no reason to suspect a fault with the cpu. I was looky has I had numerous spares to try but have spent a week on this computer. Just thought it may help other users with this

naught y Stop error code

Saturday, October 11, 2008 4:28 PM
  • Just adding my 2 cents... 
    Numerous reboots, set system (cancel 'auto restart') to show BSOD's and found 0x8e errors (mostly!)... 
    On pure chance, while researching and testing, I wondered what "Spread Spectrum" settings
    in BIOS were for... what did they do!?! 
    Seems they are to "reduce EMI' from the CPU and data streams.  Hunh!  Just about everything read
    instructed to disable the settings. 
    I disabled all "Spread Spectrum" settings in BIOS and systems been stable and no BSOD's
    for two days now! 
    I had tested everything and still kept getting stop errors.  No virii, no rootkits, no ram/memory stick troubles... 
    Extremely random stop errors. 
    Disable "Spread Spectrum" seems to have helped! 
    Hope this helps someone! 

Specs: 
    ASUS M2NPV-VM AMD Athlon 64x2 5200+
    2 gig DDR 800

80 gig SATA (2) in RAID Mirror array

No video card, using onboard Geforce 6150
    Windows XP Pro SP3
    All drivers up to date. 
    All Win' updates current. 

Sunday, October 19, 2008 9:52 PM
  •  

okay so once again, hp rears its ugly, irresponsible, bait and switch, marketing tactic.  i have had the exact same problem, with my computer, which burned up 2 (not 1), but 2 graphics cards, before it started in the with the error messaging.  hp fixed it once, and then, told me i was welcome to buy another computer from them.  after the first graphics card burned up hp replaced it and mentioned that there was a problem with the mother board, which they also repaired.  after getting the computer back, the new graphics card burned up within in the next month, hp would no longer, cover the problem.  in researching the graphics card, a nvidia 5500 series, found that these cards burn up, fairly often, i got charged 200.00 extra for mine. okay, so ive done everything from, format, update, scandisk defrag, scan with anitvirus, and switch out components, to rule out hardware, problem will not resolve, even tried, windows xp, hoping that vista was just too much for the computer.  did you ever get a solution for your error? would sure like to know!  and to finish slamming hp, i called them about getting me drivers, which offered to pay for, for my printer, all it needed was drivers, i swear, and they told me i had to buy a new printer,lol.  so just yesterday, i called for (planned on buying), restore disks, and not only got the run around, (very polite though), but disconnected too.  these folks appear, not to care too much about anything, which is probably a trickle down effect, from profit mongering management.  and i'm telling anyone who'll listen.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 10:02 AM
  • To all those receiving the 0x0000008e BSOD error, here is a handy little site that I found after researching about this error.............credits go obviously to "troll"...thnx mate!

http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50966
    (might want to just copy & paste link!)

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 1:36 PM
  • The way I fixed this error on a WinXP Home PC we had in the workshop was to startup in safe mode (continually press F8 during the boot process until a menu is displayed. Select safe mode and then yes at the message that follows) Once Safe mode has started, goto your start button and then run. Type in msconfig and go to the startup tab. UN-check all nonessential startup items including VGA drivers. Hit apply then ok. The system will restart. Allow it to start normally. If this gets you into windows manually add one startup item at a time allowing the PC to restart each time. You'll know which item is causing the problem by following this proceedure.

In this case it was cli.exe associated with the ATI graphics package.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Thursday, November 06, 2008 2:11 AM
  • Well i have to say GrummangyXOX's answer sure fixed it for me. I was struggling with this for almost 2 days. To make matters worse, a virus had corrupted something in the startup list. By using the msconfig trick i was able to isolate the program and remove it/fix it. For me it was some HP program that got installed with my printer driver.

Cheers for this,

Ronald
    Friday, December 26, 2008 9:00 PM
  • For anyone else that receives this stop error 0x0000008E, I installed on 04/07/2008 SP1 for Vista and started having this error. After going to safe mode and uninstalling the service pack the system works great again. There is some driver in the update that happens with sp1 that breaks my system on startup. I am running Vista Ultimate 32 and ran the advisor which said evrything was compatible except the HD audio driver from Realtek, I got the latest driver and that problem went away then I did the update, I have an Intel D925XECV2 motherboard with a 3.4GHz. P4 LGA 775 CPU, 4GB of DDR2-800 memory (Corsair), Nvidia 8800GTS 512MB DDR3 PCI-Ex16 video card, 2 sets of hard drives mirrored (320GB 1st set & 750GB 2nd set), 2 LG 22x DVD burners, Silverstone case, Xigmatek 750W PS, USB 2.0 card reader with audio ports and 1394 port from IBM that cam with the Motherboard. The system runs perfect until I load the SP1 and which it boots into the main screen and always within a minute or 2 of starting (still loading) the sytem bluescreens and restarts doing a minidump. So Vista SP1 still has issues at least with my system even though it says everything is compatible.
    Friday, April 10, 2009 11:48 PM
  • Ok so I have read everyone's answer but mine must be unique because this error only occurs when I'm playing air rivals and switch to x-fire in game. It is really funny because it only happens with this game. I'm using win xp 32-bit.

The screenshot follows:

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i350/Andrew_Bartolo/DSC04303.jpg

Can someone please help. It is'nt that serious but after a couple of weeks now its starting to get annoying.

Ps. it only started occuring after microsoft's updates of march 2011.
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 10:10 AM
  • Ok so I have read everyone's answer but mine must be unique because this error only occurs when I'm playing air rivals and switch to x-fire in game. It is really funny because it only happens with this game. I'm using win xp 32-bit.

The screenshot follows:

Can someone please help. It is'nt that serious but after a couple of weeks now its starting to get annoying.

I also get an error that's unique to everyone else's. My BSOD only happens when I go AFK while playing Atlantica. I'm using XP SP3. igxpdv.dll is mentioned in the error message.

P.S. Can give screenshot if needed.

P.P.S. Can also give specs. if needed.

Sunday, June 19, 2011 7:41 PM

The screenshot follows:

I get the same error and I get it when play Rift and swap to my browser, not every time, but several times a week. My pc is new only 2 months old and I'm running winxp. I've updated all the drivers and had contact to Nvidia who say that it isn't their problem.
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 1:13 AM

The screenshot follows:

I get the same error and I get it when play Rift and swap to my browser, not every time, but several times a week. My pc is new only 2 months old and I'm running winxp. I've updated all the drivers and had contact to Nvidia who say that it isn't their problem.

People with the NVIDIA_disp.dll problem might want to read here

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=187401

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 1:34 AM
  • I know I'm replying month's late on this, but this is to help you and anyone else that might encounter this particular 8x0E Stop Error.
    Based on what you've indicated, you're running on a bad driver version for your PC setup.

The igxpdv.dll indicates that it is a video card driver that is causing the error.

I've had a rough time overcoming this particular issue in the past. The first step is to try to roll back the driver version. The easiest way to accomplish this is as follows:

1. Right click on "My Computer" (Computer on Vista/Win 7) and select manage.

2. Navigate to System Tools > Device Manager

3. Find your video card under Display Drivers.

4. Navigate to the drivers tab and select to "Roll Back" your driver to a previous version.

If this does not solve the issue, you'll likely have to follow these steps:

1. Disable the current driver.

2. Uninstall your video card software via the Control Panel. (Based on your info, it might be an ATI driver). Delete all instances of igxpdv.dll on your machine via Safe Mode. You might need a file delete utility to accomplish this.

3. Reboot to safe mode. If the auto-dectect utility begins installing any new hardware, STOP IT IMMEDIATELY. You have not removed all instances of the old driver yet. You may need to dig a little deeper and find out what other .dll files you need to manually delete. This could turn into a game of seek and find plus trial and error, but this step is important! If you don't remove the previous drivers entirely, they will consistently reinstall themselves, and you wont make it to Step 4 below.

4. NEXT, install the **ORIGINAL** (SUPER IMPORTANT!) video card drivers that were supplied with your PC. You may have these on a disk. Most manufacturers will provide these on their support websites as well. Be safe and go with the older/oldest version of these drivers-- since we know that these should work without a problem. If it's not broken, why fix it, right?

5. Test, and hopefully you should be up and running. BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE! You didn't think it was that easy did you?!

6. Navigate to the Windows Update website. It should find an "Update" for your video card drivers. YOU DO NOT WANT TO INSTALL THESE! You will need to elect to not install these, and to not have Windows notify you about these again. This update will linger in your Hidden Updates section. Forget about it forever and do not reinstall!

I've found the Microsoft-supplied drivers for ATI video cards that use this particular DLL to only cause problems. Windows Update has since gotten much better with Windows 7 (but not quite perfect) with their approved drivers, but they tend to linger on older (sometimes newer), unstable drivers. It's just a nature of the beast-- so much hardware to evaluate, and so little time to test in real world situations. Not a perfect excuse, but now you know that when you're getting a driver issue related to a particular driver, you should follow these steps!

I have seen this situation occur with video card drivers and ethernet card drivers most frequently. So if a Bing/Technet search of the driver name leads your in this direction, this guide is the place to start!

Or you could always reformat and start fresh. But where's the fun in not learning how to fix a particular problem such as this! (If you're not in IT like I am, probably not much.)

Hope this helps you or anyone else that might stumble onto this page.

-Nathan

Thursday, November 03, 2011 10:08 PM