none
Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver

Question

•  

Each time i start the computer the computer try to instal this volume driver "Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver", and fail to do so.

it cannot instal the file

I cannot found the file in the computer nor the path finder, using the search system.

the file do not exist or is hidden

I dont know ho wot solve the problem

It delay my computer start of 15 minutes each time i start th ecomputer, menaing i have to wait 20 minutes or more before i can use my computer as it try to isntal it each and every time..

My computer is new, i have Vista SP 1, all up to date, this problem was there form the very first week I had the computer.

I will appreciate any answer

Please send me an email when my answer is come.

Thanks for your time and for your help.

Friday, November 21, 2008 7:03 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

The Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver allows you to treat your CF and SD cards and USB sticks as a devices for Media Syncing.

This issue can be caused by corrupt INF files. et’s troubleshoot this issue by copying these files from another known Windows Vista computer.

1.       Please copy usbstor.inf and usbstor.PNF (c:\windows\inf) from another known Windows Vista computer to problem computer. (You also can upload them from another known computer to your email and download them to problem computer)

2.       Reboot the computer ceck if it gets detected and works fine.

Hope it helps.

Monday, November 24, 2008 7:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

The Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver allows you to treat your CF and SD cards and USB sticks as a devices for Media Syncing.

This issue can be caused by corrupt INF files. et’s troubleshoot this issue by copying these files from another known Windows Vista computer.

1.       Please copy usbstor.inf and usbstor.PNF (c:\windows\inf) from another known Windows Vista computer to problem computer. (You also can upload them from another known computer to your email and download them to problem computer)

Hope it helps.

Monday, November 24, 2008 7:54 AM
  • Robinson Zhang - MSFT said:

Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Hope it helps.

Dear Robinson,

Thank you for your answer.

I do not have another computer with vista nor know someone having one...

Could you please send me an email with those file ready to download?
    (C:\windows\inf ubstor.inf and upstor.PNF)

This problem is slowing down the starting of my computer with over 15 minutes each time.

You can email me those files to the following email adress:

sophie@nostromo.dk
    or
    Ocean@tele2.dk

I will really appreciate if you could do that.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 8:24 AM
  • I had the same problem.The file is under system devices which is in device manager.I 1st replaced to 2 files they talked about.Then I uninstalled WPD in device manager,rebooted and let windows re-install and no problem anymore.exclamation point was gone.

Wiley Coyotee
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 6:12 PM
  • hey der. um digvijay bhonsale.
    um having da same problem with da wpd file system driver.
    When i click on its properties it says -
    "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)
    Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available."
    Plz help!
    can u plz send me da files - usbstor.inf and usbstor.PNF (c:\windows\inf)
    i have a Sony Vaio VGN-C31GH da home basic edition of windows vista.

Monday, May 25, 2009 7:00 AM
  • hey der. um digvijay bhonsale.
    um having da same problem with da wpd file system driver.
    When i click on its properties it says -
    "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)
    Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available."
    Plz help!
    can u plz send me da files - usbstor.inf and usbstor.PNF (c:\windows\inf)
    i have a Sony Vaio VGN-C31GH da home basic edition of windows vista.
    Monday, May 25, 2009 7:00 AM
  • Hi there,

I have the same problem on different computers.
    I bought some Dell Computers ( Optiplex 760 and Latitude E5500 ) and if I plug any removable FileSystem device, under "Portable Devices" I get "Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver" with the error : "This Device Cannot start. (Code 10) "

I tried this with a Kingston Pen drive, on 760 and E5500.
    I tried plugging a SD Card on E5500 and the same error.
    I tried plugging a windows mobile device, and the same error.
    I´m able to access the volumes from the removable devices, exept for the windows mobile device.

I have another laptop (Latitude D520) that I installed Windows 7 and it works perfectly.
    I tried copying the DLL´s from W7 to Vista, but they seems to be uncompatible.
    I tried creating a system variable called "devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices" with value set to "1". that allowed me on vista to see the disconected devices and uninstall them. I removed everything that I found greyd out. but the error is the same.

Even installing the latest version of WMDC that updates some drives, It doean´t work .

I´m without ideas. does someone has any ?

thanks in advance.
    • Proposed as answer by Yaseen-MCSE Thursday, March 11, 2010 12:47 PM
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 11:28 PM
  • Guys,

Better yet.

Don´t mess up with your Windows folder permissions.
    Just do this .

Take ownership of the entire windows folder and subfolders. Replace by Local Administrators account.
    Of course that you´re member of that account.
    After that, add the account LOCAL SERVICE permission to the windows folder.
    Add as "This folder only"
    And grant full access.

Problem solved.

Luiz A. Camilo Network Administrator
    • Edited by Luiz_ACamilo Thursday, December 03, 2009 9:07 PM Complementing
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 9:06 PM
  • Hello Luiz_ACamilo

I seem to be facing the same exact problem you had and resolved.  I have two computers a Vista (business 64) and Windows 7 (ultimate 64) that are network.  I just noticed two days ago in device manager under Portable Devices two error (exclamation marks) for WPD FilsSystem Volume Driver.  If I go into the WPD FilsSystem Volume Driver Properties it reads under device status: This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31).

I have a Mitsumi multi card reader installed into my computer, it works fine so far even though I have those conflicts in device manager.  But it's very frustrating that i have those problems.  After reading your post I noticed that you found a solution related to permissions and I do remember I was trying to get my vista and windows 7 machine to share files, finally I shared the Desktop folder for both machines successfully with full control.  So it seems that the problem is the same, but the problem is that I not good with permissions or networking.

I would really appreciate a bunch if you could walk me in detail step by step as into what to do with what you posted.  Could you do that for me?  PLEASE!?

Friday, December 18, 2009 8:43 PM
  • Hi there,

First of all, make a restore point. If something goes wrong, you can roll back the changes.
    To make a restore point, just type on your search bar on the start menu "create a restore point"

After that, let´s start with the permissions part.
    Open your windows explorer and browse to c:\.
    Right click on your Windows folder.
    Go to the Security Tab
    Click on the Advanced button
    Go to the "Owner" tab
    Click on the "Edit" button
    It should display 2 itens on this tab. "Yourcomputername\Administrators" and "Yourcomputername\yourusername"
    Select the "Yourcomputername\Administrators" and have it selected.
    Check the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" checkbox and Click Ok.
    What we´re doing here is just replacing the "owner" os all files from your windows folder to the Administrators group. What shouldn´t be a problem at all.

After that, go back to the "Advanced Security for Windows" window.
    Select the Permissions Tab
    Click on "Change Permissions"
    Click on "Add..."
    Type "Local Service" and click Ok.
    Back to the "Advanced Security for Windows", click Ok again.
    Click ok to accept the changes. and try to reboot your windows.
    Your WPD Device should be working fine now.

If anything goes wrong, Use the system restore to roll back to that restore point that we created on the beginning
    To do that, power up your machine, and press F8 .
    It will open up some boot options, and the first one should be "Repair windows" or something like this.
    Wait it loads, and select "Restore to a previous point" I don´t remember exactly the options, but you will find it.

Let me know if you need more help .

Good luck.

Saturday, December 19, 2009 12:46 AM
  • Hi Luiz_ACamilo

I have tried what you said but I get errors when trying to Change Permission.  I have windows 7. My usb and Sd card reader worked fine before, you plug it in and up pops the autoplay window. But now nothing and in device manager all my portable devices have ! on them and they wont autoplay anymore. I am so confused just want it all to work. can you help me further.

thanks heaps

Lana 
    Saturday, February 06, 2010 12:30 AM
  • Hi Lana,

First thing we have to check is if you can see your Storage device under "Disk Drives" in Device manager.
    We need to know if the problem is under disk drives or under "Portable Devices"

If you have yellow exclamation under Portable devices, I believe that this post can help you.

About the errors when changing permissions ... you´ll need administrator rights.
    Follow the instructions that I posted on "Saturday, December 19, 2009 12:46 AM" and you should get your problem solved.

If you have any problems, i´ll be glad to help.

Saturday, February 06, 2010 2:23 AM
  • Hi Luiz_ACmilo

Thanks heaps for the quick reply and for helping me. I am so confused and frustrated about it. 
    Below is a copy of my Device Manager, and yes it is my 'portable devices' that are causing the problem.

I followed the steps you said but could not finish them  as a message box appears saying that an error occurred while applying security information to: C\windows\system32\driver\NIS\1105000.07f\cat and lots more poped up all with window\system32\driver\NIS\ ..but different at the end.  I can continue but you know there is still a problem. I also tried to add the Local service but that too had lots of error. So nothing has changed i dont know what to do.

Would appreciate your help

Lana 

Saturday, February 06, 2010 6:17 AM
  • Hi Lana,

Send your images to my e-mail.
    I cannot see your images from this post.

this is weird, if you´re adminsitrator of your machine, you should be able to tchange the ownership to the local administrator´s group without problems.

Saturday, February 06, 2010 11:47 AM
  • Hi luiz_ACamilo

Thanks for your help again.  I have sent you an email. I hope this is enough info for you.

thanks again
    lana
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 12:22 AM
  • Hi Luiz_ACmilo

Well it is fixed. I did a repair window scan and  it fixed the problem. What I think it was, was I had Vista home premium on my computer before installing window 7.  It kept all my setting from vista so I think a had a problem with an old user account from Vista and managed to sneak some file somewhere on window 7 that just didn't make it work properly. I also remember my card reader was fine with vista but after installing window 7 I thought I had to install card reader software again I installed the old software it came with(which is vista).

But all is good now and everything works perfect. Thanks heaps for your help.

Lana
    • Proposed as answer by Yaseen-MCSE Thursday, March 11, 2010 12:27 PM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 11:01 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Hope it helps.

Yes we can fix this kind of problem with out doing any major troubleshooting steps like repair, usbstor.inf reinstall , You will easy find the drivers available on the OEM website for card reader under chipset category...
    ..just download and install drivers for card reader..& your problem would be fix....
    • Proposed as answer by Yaseen-MCSE Thursday, March 11, 2010 12:50 PM
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 12:49 PM
  • I have the same issue and have Windows XP. I tried to do what you said but there is no security tab when I right click WINDOWS. Please help!

When I rightclick it, it says options are disabled because it is used by operating system.

Friday, March 26, 2010 1:06 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Hope it helps.

Erm why not post a link or upload the files in question rather than saying what they are. And or state the exact Windows update that causes the problem in the first place? Regarding the mention in another reply about Windows update causing it. Really answering a question halfway is not a good answer. And why can't I find the driver file anywhere online for this? Plus windows says the best driver is loaded already which it obviously isn't. Silly windows

Monday, June 11, 2012 11:21 PM
  •  

Each time i start the computer the computer try to instal this volume driver "Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver", and fail to do so.

it cannot instal the file

I cannot found the file in the computer nor the path finder, using the search system.

the file do not exist or is hidden

I dont know ho wot solve the problem

It delay my computer start of 15 minutes each time i start th ecomputer, menaing i have to wait 20 minutes or more before i can use my computer as it try to isntal it each and every time..

My computer is new, i have Vista SP 1, all up to date, this problem was there form the very first week I had the computer.

I will appreciate any answer

Please send me an email when my answer is come.

Thanks for your time and for your help.

I have found an answer that worked for me. I have a generic USB multi-card reader that was giving me this problem. This is what I did.

Click <Start>

type 'disk management'

Select 'create and format hard disk partitions'

Wait for it to open up and read your disk info then

Right-click on the disk that isn't showing up and from the context menu (aka right-click menu) select 'change drive letter and paths'

Then either let the computer pick the drive letter or choose one from the list that isn't being used already.

This worked for me, now to see if it lasts a reboot? Hopefully I won't have to do this each and every time I put a card into the reader or restart the system. If it does I will let you know. In addition if you have created more than one partition on the card Windows will not recognize it. Why this is I haven't a clue. You will not be able to create a drive letter for it either using MS Disk management tool. A third party partition manager may though but it still won't make it show up in your list of attached drives.

Note: If you pick a drive letter that has been used already then you will see a countdown timer start counting down from 5 to 0. Then once zero is reached, BOOM! Your computer spontaneously combusts killing you and everyone in a two block radius. lol. Honestly I don't know what happens if you do that but I'm sure if it lets you do so it will not be pleasant especially if you pick the C: drive.

• Edited by machv5 Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:29 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Antony2144 Friday, March 15, 2013 3:45 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Antony2144 Friday, March 15, 2013 3:45 AM
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:21 PM
  • I have had the same problem with a fresh install of Windows 7 - the following fixed the problem;

1) Make certain you are logged on as an 'Administrator', (Control Panel/User Accounts) - if not you must change your account to an Administrator account and restart your PC

2) Change User Account Control (Control Panel/User Accounts/Change User Account Control Settings/) - move the slider to 'Never Notify'.

3) Go to Device Manager (Control Panel/Device Manager) and Uninstall the WPD drivers with Yellow exclamation marks and then Uninstall any USB hubs

4) Restart your PC - your USB hubs will reinstall automatically and the WPD issue will have disappeared

Friday, March 15, 2013 4:00 AM
  • Robinson Zhang recommended a good option

I propose another:
    You can still do this:
    1. Just delete these files (usbstor.inf and usbstor.PNF in c:\windows\inf\) when device, such as phone Nokia Lumia 900, is disconnected.
    2. Go to the device manager and remove unknown devices.
    3. Connect the device and update the hardware configuration in the device manager.

http://www.anodonta.com.ua

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 9:11 AM