multimedia audio controller driver

Question

• i downloaded windows xp on my computer and when i did that it deleted my multimedia audio controller driver and i cant figure out how to fix it. i tried the original disc but it doesnt work. i need help

Sunday, November 11, 2007 9:28 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Thank you for your post.

I’m not very clear with the scenario you described. Generally, the operation of downloading file to local hard disk (unless running some downloaded executable files) should not change the system configurations such as the audio device drivers. Therefore, I suspect that this issue should not be directly caused by the download operation.

Also, if the driver for audio controller is missing, you may use the disk shipped with the audio card or motherboard to reinstall it. Alternatively, you can also visit the manufacturer’s website, download the latest driver designed for your currently used operating system, and then install it.

If I the methods above donn’t fix your issue, please let me know the following:

1.    What operating system are you currently using?

Note: If you are using Windows XP and this problem is not related to Windows Vista, please visit forums focusing on Windows XP for further support:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/related/default.mspx

2.    Did this audio card work well before?

3.    Where did you download Windows XP? How did you know it deletes the audio driver? Were there any other changes or operations before the issue began to occur?

4.    Please let me know the brand and model of your audio card or the motherboard.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:17 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for your post.

I’m not very clear with the scenario you described. Generally, the operation of downloading file to local hard disk (unless running some downloaded executable files) should not change the system configurations such as the audio device drivers. Therefore, I suspect that this issue should not be directly caused by the download operation.

Also, if the driver for audio controller is missing, you may use the disk shipped with the audio card or motherboard to reinstall it. Alternatively, you can also visit the manufacturer’s website, download the latest driver designed for your currently used operating system, and then install it.

Note: If you are using Windows XP and this problem is not related to Windows Vista, please visit forums focusing on Windows XP for further support:

3.    Where did you download Windows XP? How did you know it deletes the audio driver? Were there any other changes or operations before the issue began to occur?

4.    Please let me know the brand and model of your audio card or the motherboard.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Lionel Chen

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:17 PM
  • Hello,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Monday, November 19, 2007 1:17 PM
  • I had my system crash and lost everything.  I have downloaded a new sound card driver for my system and I keep on getting a new error message. That is asking me to locate a file by the name ksuser.dil and I need to create a path to it.

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Thanks,

Eric

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 6:34 AM
  • Hello Eric,

Thanks for your post!

As the new report issue you mentioned is different from the one discussed in this current thread, we'd recommend that you start up a new thread for it. We generally focus on one topic in one thread because in this way it will be better for other community members to participate in the discussion, and to search/find specific answers more efficiently in the future.

Your understanding is appreciated!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 10:56 AM
  • i just installed ms windows xp pro on my pc n the audio controller drivers havent been installed now i dont have the driver cd so i cant install drivers the only way i know is to download th drivers frm the net but since i dunno the model of my sound card i cant download them......the device manager window shows a yellow question mark next to the multimedia audio controller and the video controller(VGA compatible) on the device list

Thursday, January 10, 2008 4:09 PM
  • Hi,

I wonder if you could help me out with my problem Lionel Chen, it would be so much appreciated. As I have accidentally deleted the Audio Controller I have no access to the sound in my lap top (Satellite L25, Windows XP) and since my TOEFL exam is coming up I need the sound to do some sample tests and I have been trying to look for online driver to fit it but failed in finding those. In addition I have lost the CD coming with the lap top with all the drivers. What do I do?

Thank you for your time

Best

Hieu

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 8:11 AM
  • Hello Hieu,

Thanks for your post!

Please understand that this forum is only for Windows Vista hardware issues and it’s recommended to set new thread for a different issue. We generally focus on one topic in one thread because in this way it will be better for other community members to participate in the discussion, and to search/find specific answers more efficiently in the future.

To save your time, I performed a search for your question. The result it as below:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_dtlViewDL.jsp?soid=1134342&moid=1124512&rpn=PSL2XU&BV_SessionID=@@@@2124261040.1201594872@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccciadedefffijlcgfkceghdgngdgnn.0&ct=DL&all_docs=false

Please down load the driver from this page and install it.

Hope it helps and have a good score in your TOEFL test!

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 8:32 AM
  •  

Thank you so much for the link, I've installed it and my computer is no longer deaf Smile I really appreciate it! Great job! I'm sorry for mis-posting the wrong thread in Vista section.

Keep it up!

Cheers

Hieu

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 10:51 AM
  •  

Hi Lionel,

I am too facing a similar issue .. where it says that Multimedia Audio Driver not installed. From few other such postes, I gather that u might require the Hardware ID : PCI/VEN_8086&DEV24D5&SUBSYS_666617AA&REV_02  and I am using a Lenevo 3000H series with Windows XP (2).

Please help get the sound playing again ..

Regards

Surajit

Saturday, February 02, 2008 5:50 AM
  • Hello Surajit,

Thank you for posting!

Please understand that this forum is for Windows Vista hardware problem, the better support resource for Windows XP hardware problem should be:

Microsoft public newsgroups for Windows XP hardware (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware&cat=en_US_8288eeac-739b-4d5a-9ce9-ee7f27ed3b40&lang=en&cr=US

For your reference, please use the following page to download drivers for Lenovo computers:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/product.do?doctypeind=9&template=%2Fproductselection%2Flandingpages%2FdownloadsDriversLandingPage.vm&sitestyle=lenovo

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Monday, February 04, 2008 1:19 AM
  • Hi,

I used to have Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit on my Gateway GM5407E, I downgraded to Windows XP Pro SP2. Now I do not have my Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Controller, and SM Bus Controller drivers. I managed to find the other drivers but I can't find those. I went to Start --> Right Click onto My Computer --> Properties --> Hardware (Tab) --> Device Manager, to find out what drivers I needed. I have been to Gateway's site to get the drivers but they only have it for Windows Vista. All of your help will be appreciated.

Thanks, Joey
    Monday, February 04, 2008 3:28 AM
  • Hi I no im in the wrong place but i cant find anything in the site its wacked! i deleted my multimedia audio controller from my computer and now i cant hear anything to make things worse i cant even find the original cd to use to put it back on. i have an acer aspire 3000 can u please help? once again i no im not in the wrong place and am sorry for that!!! but i could not find the place to put it!!!!

Sunday, February 17, 2008 12:39 PM
  •  cpt.killer70j wrote:

i downloaded windows xp on my computer and when i did that it deleted my multimedia audio controller driver and i cant figure out how to fix it. i tried the original disc but it doesnt work. i need help

Can anyone please tell me what Disc you need to reinstall Multimedia Audio Controller!!? PLEASE! ASAP!

Saturday, February 23, 2008 3:40 PM
  •  Lionel Chen - MSFT wrote:

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Lionel Chen

Friday, March 14, 2008 12:45 PM
  • i need your help to see why my speakers doesn't work in my coputer and i used the oringinal cd but i doesn't work i don't know why and i need your support            

thank you

sherine

Thursday, March 27, 2008 10:46 PM
  • I had the same problem. I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 sound card. I downloaded the latest update for the software but it still tells me that the device is not configured correctly. {Code 1} Reinstall drivers for this device. The Location is PCI bus, device 31, function 5. Not sure what all of that means but the sound card seems to be working well otherwise except for the automatic update constantly detecting this "new hardware" that needs to be installed. Suggestions?

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 3:22 AM
  •  

WHY ME CANT DOWNLOAD multimedia audio controller driver ?

Thursday, April 17, 2008 6:43 AM
  • I had same problem. I have a Dell computer with XP installed.

At the Dell site I downloaded Dell/driver/R66937.

Turns out that driver is Soundmax.

System now works fine.

Saturday, April 26, 2008 7:39 PM
  • I had the same problem.

I have a Dell computer with XP installed.

From the Dell site I down loaded  Dell/driver/R66937.

Turns out driver name is Soundmax.

My system works fine now!!

Saturday, April 26, 2008 7:46 PM
  •  

Saturday, May 03, 2008 5:11 AM
  • I recently recieved a Dell Inspiron 1525 as a gift and it came installed with vista.  I was having an issue trying to play protected files I purchased in ITunes on my Windows Media Player.  I purchased and downloaded a program recommended by Windows called MCE Tunes.  When I tried to install it, I was instructed to enable 'Stereo Mix' or 'What U Hear' in order to install the program.  I could not find either of these anywhere on my computer.  I followed the instructions given which were to go in to the control panel, select the sound icon, open it and go into the tab "recording" and if the icons werent present to right click and choose show disabled or show disconnected and still nothing showed up.  I paid $30 for this program and would really like to be able to use it is there anyone who can help me with this issue??

Friday, May 23, 2008 4:12 AM
  • i have the same problem too. i deleted the hardware. then after. my speaker doesnt work. there's no sound. what should i do?

Saturday, June 07, 2008 12:05 PM
  • I need some help getting my cpu back up and running. I have a Gateway model 5472 2.6 ghz dual amd athelon processors with 2 gigs of ram. I am a gamer so I installed a nvidia 8800gt 512 mb graphics card in its pci express slot. The problem I am having started about a month ago I started getting serious framerate issues while gaming. I put it in the shop and they told me I had a damaged harddrive. They replaced it and reinstalled windows but there are no drivers on my cpu now. When I game I am still getting really bad framerates so I ran a reliability and performance diagnostic and it said I was missing multimedia video drivers. Could this be causing my problems and if so where can I go to get the drivers I need? Thanks in advance.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 2:28 AM
  • I am using a Fujitsu laptop, and I downloaded a movie but windows player is asking for a Multimedia audio controller, how can I solve this problem or how can I download the driver.  Thanks
    Tuesday, August 05, 2008 8:35 PM
  • i cannot recieve any sound from my computer after installing windows xp i also cant find an ethernet controller or midi mixing device

Monday, August 18, 2008 12:52 AM
  • I had the same thing happen to me where I lost my audio controller.  Even though I'm running XP-SP2, your recommendation was absolutely correct.  I searched for the driver on my XP disc and my sound card disc.  I never thought about my motherboard disc.  I updated the driver using the disc that came with my motherboard.  Slam dunk!  Thanks!

Sunday, August 24, 2008 7:06 AM
  • hi i installed xp pro on my comp but i dont have any sound please help

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 1:26 PM
  • I updated my Windows XP today and then my Multi media audio controller was gone. It was there and working fine until after the update. How do I get it back? I don't have a disc for it. Thank you.
    Sunday, September 14, 2008 2:53 AM
  •  cpt.killer70j wrote:

i downloaded windows xp on my computer and when i did that it deleted my multimedia audio controller driver and i cant figure out how to fix it. i tried the original disc but it doesnt work. i need help

Thursday, September 25, 2008 5:00 PM
  • Were you able to find a solution.  I erased mine accidently.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 4:36 AM
  • Did you find a solution because I did the same thing?

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 4:39 AM
  • I use windows XP.  I accidently erased the driver for Realtek audio 97.  I am trying to reinstalled but XP is not authorizing it.  I hate that about XP.  Will you email me the driver site.  Thanks

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 4:41 AM
  • If its a dell you need to manually install the audio driver located on your recource cd(its the first driver listed).  the driver will not install using the auto-install wizard. you have to go in manually then unzip the driver file and install manually.

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 5:14 PM
  • i have sound to play games or in yahoo messenger or playing music, thank you, Patricia Reddell

Saturday, October 04, 2008 12:10 PM
  • I had the same problem but my system is a IBM 8122 and resolved it by looking under my programs for a programs called Thinkvantage and under that was an update function.  My executing the updates all my drivers came back and my speakers are working fine. Hope this helps.

Saturday, October 11, 2008 10:22 PM
  • sed my multimedia audio controller hardware

Thursday, October 23, 2008 12:13 AM
  •  cpt.killer70j wrote:

Thursday, October 23, 2008 12:14 AM
  •  

Hi Lionel ... i just want to ask u how can i know wat audio card is installed on my computer i lost the driver and the box and everything related to it
    last week i formatted my computer and now i cant seem to find where the driver is ... my sound worked before i formated
    i want to download the driver for my audio card so please tell me how can i find its type and name from the computer so i could search it ...
    thnxx

Friday, October 24, 2008 10:33 AM
  • Please can some help, I formatted my computer because I had a Virus on it. I reinstulled windows xp. I am up to date with all my updates and instulled codec audio. But i still cannot get any sound from my PC. My motherboard is GA-8SIML REV 1.0.

HOW CAN I UPDATE MY ADIO DRIVER, WERE DO I GET IT FROM, HOW CAN I GET IT.

MANY THANKS..............

Saturday, November 01, 2008 12:21 PM
  • Hi and help!  I deleted my multimedia audio controller hardware. I can not play windows media player. I do not have sound. I also do not have a CD to reinstall.  Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Kim
    Saturday, November 08, 2008 3:23 PM
  • hi, i unistalled my multimedia audio controller by mistake, i have xp home, it wont update my driver i have no software,could anyone help me. thanku.

Saturday, November 29, 2008 11:00 AM
  • HEY  i reformated my comp and i updated everything apart from one thing i cant get the other devices group to not show as ? in the device manager send me a link apart from the above that doesnt help
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 11:52 AM
  • i have sound problem with adio device . please send me free download link of vinyl AC97 adio driver version 5.10.00.6300 i shell be very thank ful to u .
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 1:08 PM
  • i have sound problem with adio device . please send me free download link of vinyl AC97 adio driver version 5.10.00.6300 i shell be very thank ful to u .
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 1:08 PM
  • I downloaded the new iTunes 8.2 and now it's aying that I dont have the drivers for a multimedia audio controller. Can anyone help? BTW the sound card is internal in a Dell Optiplex GX620. It's Windows XP Professional
    Sunday, June 07, 2009 1:43 PM
  • After spending 3 1/2 hours with Microsoft Windows 7 support, it was determined that if your multi-media audio controller is Sigma Tel STAC 975X AC97, and the operating system was XP, then it is not compatable. It is only compatable with Vista. Sigma Tel was bought out by IDT and they did not furnish a driver that is compatable with XP. Dell is not helping matters either.
    Monday, November 02, 2009 10:24 PM
  • hello i have sound blaster x-fi model # SB0790 and i lost my multimedia audio controller can u help me pls
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 9:56 PM
  • joe, just wondering if you ever got that resolved...

i just installed windows 7 and my audio doesn't work either. i have a dell inspiron 6000 with the exact same multimedia audio controller (SigmaTel STAC 975X AC97). if nobody releases a driver to make this controller compatible with 7, what will happen? is it even possible to install a different audio controller in a laptop? or will i have to uninstall windows 7 and go back to xp? anyone have any advice?
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 6:11 AM
  • I can not seem to locate the drivers nesscary for windows xp prof.  It came with all the other drivers but seemed to of skipped the multimedia audio controller.  Is this a common problem and can it be solved easy?  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the whole system disk but it came to the same problem there is just no driver.  I appreciate your time for taking a look at this post.
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:22 PM
  • Hey, I had the same problem for a really long time. I reinstalled my windows XP because I had a couple of viruses on my computer, and when I went to reinstall it I had no sound. Further looking revealed I had no Multimedia Audio Controller Driver. I continued researching, even contacted a representative and was given very vague advice.

Finally I did find a solution !

I've written about it in detail at http://multimediaaudiocontrollerdrivers.com

Check it out!

Andrew

Friday, May 28, 2010 12:37 PM
  • i downloaded windows xp on my computer and when i did that it deleted my multimedia audio controller driver and i cant figure out how to fix it. i tried the original disc but it doesnt work. i need help

Friday, June 25, 2010 4:02 PM
  • I have reinstall windows xp and i found that it deleted my pc multimedia audio driver, and i'm very disspointed. please let me know that what should i do to install a new multimedia audio controller driver.
    Tuesday, July 06, 2010 6:41 AM