none
Application sounds do not play - Win 7 Ult (64)

Question

• Hello:

Brand new Dell XPS 8110  (Intel Core i7-860 @ 2.8 GHz; 8 GB RAM; ATI Radeon HD 5770; THX TruStudio; Bose 2.0 Companion speakers) running Win 7 Ult (64) (fully patched; drivers and BIOS updated).
    Audio generally works fine for Windows sounds (I think - under "default" sound scheme), mp3/video, some of my 3rd-party apps, etc.

However, there are some notable bugs:

1) the OEM McAfee Security Center audio "alerts" (for: new updates available, update installation complete, programs are up to date, scan complete) do NOT play, even though the appropriate box is selected in the McAfee configuration.  I might not have even noticed, were I not already running OEM McAfee in the EXACT SAME versions on my Vista Ultimate SP2 (32-bit) box.  Other users at the McAfee forums report "no sound" with Win 7 (64), as well; others hadn't noticed, b/c they don't have the audio alert function selected, or are new to McAfee, etc.

2) when configuring a couple of 3rd-party programs (Mailwasher Pro and MSGTAG Status) in control panel > hardware & sound > sound > sounds to select the sound for "new mail" and "read notifications" respectively, the WAV files selected from among those stored in a folder on my computer do NOT work.  The EXACT same WAV files work fine in these same applications on BOTH my Vista (32) (desktop) AND my Win 7 Pro (32) (laptop).  Moreover, when I browse through my entire collection of wav files, only 1 or 2 of them work when selected to play in these applications.  And ALL of the stored wav files play fine from WMP and MediaMonkey.  So, they are not "corrupted".  They just don't play within the Win 7 (64) OS itself.  A similar problem occurs with Thunderbird 3.0.1 -- although I have 1 of my own wav files selected for "new mail", it plays the Windows default sound, instead.  Again, my "custom" sound works fine in TB on both other computers.

Troubleshooting thus far (all to no avail):
    A. Ran the Windows audio troubleshooter - no problems detected
    B. Verified that BIOS and all drivers are up to date - they are
    C. Downloaded some new wav files, tested them for playback in WMP (work fine) and tried them in both applications - no joy
    D. Checked the Dell Support Center alerts for "sound problems with Win 7" and ran all their steps - no problems, no resolution
    E. Contacted Dell TS - they confirmed that "Win 7 (64) has problems playing "old" wav files" & they get lots of calls on this!!!
    F. Google search turns up numerous threads at MS forums and elsewhere about this problem.

At least for me, the issue seems isolated to Win 7 ***64***, since the exact same programs run fine with the exact same settings on my Win 7 (32) laptop and/or my Win Vista (32) desktop.

This appears to be a SIGNIFICANT, increasingly common bug in Win 7 (64).

PLEASE ADVISE.

Thanks!

daledoc1
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 2:51 PM

All replies

• <bump>, please.

Anyone?

Brief Google search turned up at least the 2 items below:

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/61811-some-sounds-missing.html
    http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsmedia&tid=6c18d9fe-e2e2-4805-9670-8d1be5b80bcf&cat=&lang=&cr=&sloc=&p=1

This appears to be some sort of codec problem causing subtle incompatibility, even with programs that are otherwise Win 7 x64-compatible.

Please help.

Thanks!

Desktop 1: Win 7 Ult (64) Desktop 2: Win Vista Ult SP2 (32) Laptop: Win 7 Pro (32)
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 10:27 PM
  • <bump>

I have the exact same problem. I can play all wav in windows media player and in winamp. The windows sounds (when there's a warning or error for example) however do not play, also not when I 'test' them in the sound scheme view. The test sounds to test the speakers does work however.

Looking for this on the web a few days now, but found no solution.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 8:14 AM
  • It seems that some older system sounds are recorded in mono.

If the speaker setup is 5.1 or 7.1 then a mono sound is output through the center speaker, if for some reason this speaker isn't present or working then you won't hear anything.

If you have a two speaker setup then it appears that mono is split between the two speakers.

Solution steps.

Check that your speaker setup matches the speakers present. ( Control Panel > Sounds >Playback > Configure)

Try changing the speaker setup to stereo

Use a program like audacity to edit the wav file. You can duplicate the mono track and then set one track as left & one as right making it a quasi stereo file

Thursday, April 28, 2011 3:46 AM