none
Windows 7 error message saying "Consider replacing your battery" "There is a problem with your battery, so your computer might shut down suddenly"

General discussion

• Date: 03-05-2010

Issue:
     I have been receiving an error message saying "Consider replacing your battery" "There is a problem with your battery, so your computer might shut down suddenly". 

Laptop is only couple of weeks old.
    [PC Information]
    Manufacture:       Toshiba
    Model Name:       Qosmio F60
    Part Number:       PQF65C-00M02D 
    OS Version:         Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium    6.1.7600
    BIOS Version:      Version 1.60
    CPU:                   Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU       M 430  @ 2.27GHz
    Video:                 NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M   version=8.16.11.8798
    Battery:
    MS AC Adapter Driver version: 6.1.7600.16385
    MS ACPI Compliant Control Method Driver version: 6.1.7600.16385
    MS Composet Battery Driver version: 6.1.7600.16385

Is there a solution for this problem?
    Friday, March 05, 2010 6:38 PM

All replies

• http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/c6c043e6-eeb1-4e61-870d-896ca2f865d6

Join the club, and no, no solution as of yet but a few of us, me included are having regluar correspondence with people from Microsoft trying to solve the issue
    Friday, March 05, 2010 8:07 PM
  • The problem may lie in the battery's eeprom, and it can be reprogrammed. From the feedback, some of the users no longer receive this message after installing certain update.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 8:17 AM
  • Thanks for the Info.

Issue:
     I have been receiving an error message saying "Consider replacing your battery" "There is a problem with your battery, so your computer might shut down suddenly". 

Resolved issue on my system by doing the following steps.

1. Powering down the system (using Windows shutdown)
    2. Removing the A/C power
    3. Removing the battery pack (Toshiba brand - 6 cell)
    4. Reconnected the A/C adapter and powered on the system to Logon screen
    5. Performed Windows Shutdown
    6. Inserted the battery pack and powered on the system

This caused Windows and the System to re-synchronize with the battery.
    The battery was able to charge to 100% 2hr 15m available time.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010 4:05 PM
  • Well Unfortunately this did not work on a Alienware M5700i-R2.... VERY ANGRY THIS IS EVEN AN ISSUE.  Spent two days backing up data and installing windows 7, and updating and defragging, thinking, "Oh there is definitely a driver from MS that will fix this, I will get it when I get done."  Well here I am about to say F it since I purchased windows and a new battery  and neither of them are worth a damn now.  GOING BACK TO XP.... SUCKS!!!
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 8:20 PM
  • Appears to be a problem with Windows 7.
    I found out that the following steps, revived the battery, which is possibly caused by a buggy ACPI in Windows 7.

Running Windows 7 32 bit, getting 30-35 minutes of battery power when AC is disconnected.
    Disable the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method under BATTERY in the device manager.

Put the computer on HIGH PERFORMANCE (I get approx 2 hours of battery life before it shuts down on HIGH PERFORMANC.....Eensure Screen Dim, etc are NEVER) and start running Scandisk (Sector errors scan), Virus Scan, defrag, anything to make it quickly die.

When it has died and there is no power left, remove the battery for a few minutes, press the power button, put the battery back in and plug the power plug in and started the system up.

When windows loads, enable the ACPI-Compliant Method.

BatteryCare (cool program) should now be showing a FULL total capacity, rather than 1/3 or less that it was previously.  There is also no Wear Level now (for me), it is saying 0.00% - previously it was 63%.

Since the power on, there is no X over the power icon, its acting normally.

Buggy ACPI - perhaps doesnt charge further than 40% and therefore the warning appears? Doesnt recognise that there is more to charge?

Either way, this fixed my issue and I could then use it for 2 hours, it told me two hours and no longer died at 30 minutes.
    • Edited by Damian18 Wednesday, April 28, 2010 2:03 PM edit
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 2:02 PM
  • This worked perfectly for me. I've been finding that my battery has been lasting less and less when not attached to the A/C, even when on power saver so hopefully this will help towards that too.

Thanks for the advice!

Thursday, December 02, 2010 9:25 PM
  • Yes, been using Win7 32bit, follow Damian18 post and and works well for me too...
    Friday, January 14, 2011 5:00 AM
  • Yes!

It's worked foe my wife's uncle's Notebook ASUS.

And I now charging it and no problem with it, the charge meter is:54%.

Thnx Body

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 2:26 PM