none
ReAgentc Operation Failed: 2

Question

• Hi,

So I'm trying to deploy MSDaRT 7 to alot of computers that have allready done bdehdcfg -target default. After a bit of help here I have managed to rerun the bdehdcfg to make it 500mb instead of the default 300mb (that will be to small cause of MSDaRT).

Now my problem is with the ReAgentc.

After recreating the partition I wanna run the following to set the new MSDaRT wim:
    (This is different cmd steps in the TS using cmd /c in front)

1. ReAgentc /disable
    2. md X:\Recovery\WindowsRE
    3. copy winre.wim X:\Recovery\WindowsRE
    4. REagentC /setreimage /path X:\Recovery\WindowsRE\ /target c:\windows /bootkey 3e00
    5. Reagentc /enable

But my problem is that step 1, 4 and 5 I get "Operation failed: 2" from the reagentc.

The explination for this is that it can't find the files.

Now for the irritating part: When this exact steps are used in a full OSD TS (format disk, deploy OS and so on) it works like a charm.

What I noticed from testing in the start was that to run the ReAgentc command more then once would fail. Found and tried to install a KB from MS about the ReAgentc, but that did not help at all (KB2603203). Just to test i ran it a secound time, and it then say that it is allready installed.

Hope anyone can help out on this. Getting a bit tired of MSDaRT after a month of solving different problems.

Kristoffer

Edit: Tried using "reagentc /disable /auditmode" after reading somewhere else, this did not change anything.
    • Edited by MT-Offan Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:17 AM
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 11:07 AM

Answers

• This is what worked for me, note that for me it atm only works manually:

1. Change Active partition (diskpart script)
    2. Change System Boot ( cmd /c bcdboot C:\Windows /s C: )
    3. Restart Computer
    4. Disalbe ReAgentC ( cmd /c reagentc /disable )
    5. Remove partition (diskpart script)
    6. Extend C partition (diskpart script)
    7. Shrink C partition (diskpart script)
    8. Create new partition (diskpart script, also assign letter=X)
    9. Active partition (diskpart script)
    10. Create folder on new partition ( cmd /c md X:\Recovery\WindowsRE )
    11. Copy WinRE wim ( cmd /c copy winre.wim X:\Recovery\WindowsRE )
    12. Set new WinRE wim ( cmd /c REagentC /setreimage /path X:\Recovery\WindowsRE\ /target c:\windows /bootkey 3e00 )
    13. Change System boot ( cmd /c bcdboot C:\Windows /s X: )
    14. Enable REAgentC
    15. BdeHdCfg -target X: -quiet
    16. Hide partition (diskpart script remove letter=X)

I know alot of these diskpart scripts can be combined into one long, but since it's failing in my TS I'm trying to split it up as mutch as I can to locate where it goes wrong. And atm it looks to be the 8. Create new partition. But as I said, this works when it is done manually. So for all of you out there having this issue on just one or two computers it's no problem.

Like Jeremy Wu suggested I'll post my TS problem another place and link these threads togehter. Thanks for the help.

MT-Offan

• Marked as answer by MT-Offan Monday, May 14, 2012 7:35 AM
    Monday, May 14, 2012 7:35 AM

All replies

• I am having exactly the same problem. I also downloaded the hotfix but I am still having the issue. None of the information I have found so far has been useful. I am using the following:

1. Windows 7 Enterprise.

2. 10GB (Active) bootable and Recovery partition with ID 27.

3. Second Primary partition (non Active) with Windows 7 Enterprise.

If you find the solution let me know.

Thanks,

Gabriel

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:41 PM
  • 1.  C:\Users\Administrator>dir/s/ahs X:\Recovery\WindowsRE\winre.wim
    2.  C drive volume: No name
    3.  volume serial number: D4D0-3018
    4.  could not find file
    5.  C: \ Users \ Administrator> reagentc / info
    6.  Extended configuration of the recovery environment
    7.  Win RE usage: 1
    8.  Win RE prepare: 0
    9.  install usage: 1
    10. Custom recovery tools: 0
    11. WinRE.WIM directory:
    12. Recovery Environment:
    13. BCD Id: 5a2cf1dd-2264-11e1-b804-402cf47786e5
    14. The installation files: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddrive0\partition1\windows
    15. Recovery Action: 4
    16. Operation parameters:
    17. Boot key scan code 0x0
    18. REAGENTC.EXE: the operation was successful

Additional information considering this problem. (My code dose not come in english, so might not be fully accurate, but step by step it's the same).

What does your information say Gabriel?

MT-Offan

Thursday, April 26, 2012 7:29 AM
  • 1.  C: \ Users \ Administrator> reagentc / info
    2.  Extended configuration of the recovery environment
    3.  Win RE usage: 1
    4.  Win RE prepare: 0
    5.  install usage: 0
    6. Custom recovery tools: 0
    7. WinRE.WIM directory:
    8. Recovery Environment:
    9. BCD Id: 5a2cf1dd-2264-11e1-b804-402cf47786e5
    10. The installation files: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddrive0\partition2\Recovery\78b7dde8-8b8e-11e0-a546-00247e21b205
    11. Recovery Action: 4
    12. Operation parameters:
    13. Boot key scan code 0x0
    14. REAGENTC.EXE: the operation was successful

The information over is from reagentc /info from a healty computer where reagentc /disable and /enable works over and over again.

I just realiced something. The previous post is from one of the computers i get the error from. Here I have removed an earlier bddehdcfg partition and recreated it, and then i have tried to input the winre.wim and all that.

On a different computer where i havent done anything, the reagentc is working. After looking at the reagentc /info, something hit me;

The installation files: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddrive0\partition1\windows"   <-- This path is wrong, first of all it should be on partition 2, not 1. and from what you can see from the healthy computer, almost half the path is wrong.

Now I just need to figure out how this is set and how I can change it.

MT-Offan

• Edited by MT-Offan Thursday, April 26, 2012 8:21 AM
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 7:54 AM
  • Hi MT-Offan,

Based on my understanding, firstly, you need to determine the path of Windows RE image.

Then, you can run command

reagentc /setreimage /path <Windows_RE_location>

to specify the Windows RE image location.

For how to use reagentc, please refer to REAgentC Command-Line Options.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

Friday, May 04, 2012 9:36 AM
  • Hi Jeremy,

I have managed to do this locally on a machine now, but it won't work when it's done with at SCCM TS for some reason.

I'll post the correct solution I have managed to get so far later, because atm I'm attending a course.

But fast and not completly correct:

1. Set boot to C:

2. Activate C:

3. Restart

4. Disable Reagentc 

5. Diskpart delete partiton X:, extend C:, create partition primary size=500, active

6. create folder and copy winre.wim 

5. bdehdcfg -target X: -quiet

6. Diskpart remove letter=x

What I see is that it failes at creating the new partition, and because of this the rest failes aswell.

MT-Offan

Monday, May 07, 2012 8:26 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the response.

However, based on your description, the current issue may be related to System Center. Therefore, it is recommended to post a new thread in System Center Configuration Manager Forums.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 9:31 AM
  • True. 

It started as a problem with just the ReagentC, and probably a bit of a bitlocker problem. To now be more of a SCCM problem.

I'll post a new thread there where I'll link to this and vica versa so that people with the same problem can fallow this problem, and that people trying to help there can see where it all started.

But I'm attending a course this week so I'll get back to this next week when I'm back at work.

MT-Offan

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 12:15 PM
  • This is what worked for me, note that for me it atm only works manually:

1. Change Active partition (diskpart script)
    2. Change System Boot ( cmd /c bcdboot C:\Windows /s C: )
    3. Restart Computer
    4. Disalbe ReAgentC ( cmd /c reagentc /disable )
    5. Remove partition (diskpart script)
    6. Extend C partition (diskpart script)
    7. Shrink C partition (diskpart script)
    8. Create new partition (diskpart script, also assign letter=X)
    9. Active partition (diskpart script)
    10. Create folder on new partition ( cmd /c md X:\Recovery\WindowsRE )
    11. Copy WinRE wim ( cmd /c copy winre.wim X:\Recovery\WindowsRE )
    12. Set new WinRE wim ( cmd /c REagentC /setreimage /path X:\Recovery\WindowsRE\ /target c:\windows /bootkey 3e00 )
    13. Change System boot ( cmd /c bcdboot C:\Windows /s X: )
    14. Enable REAgentC
    15. BdeHdCfg -target X: -quiet
    16. Hide partition (diskpart script remove letter=X)

I know alot of these diskpart scripts can be combined into one long, but since it's failing in my TS I'm trying to split it up as mutch as I can to locate where it goes wrong. And atm it looks to be the 8. Create new partition. But as I said, this works when it is done manually. So for all of you out there having this issue on just one or two computers it's no problem.

Like Jeremy Wu suggested I'll post my TS problem another place and link these threads togehter. Thanks for the help.

MT-Offan

• Marked as answer by MT-Offan Monday, May 14, 2012 7:35 AM
    Monday, May 14, 2012 7:35 AM
  • Hi,

this happened to me also in my case. It happened because the RECOVERY folder on drive C was deleted before the command REAGENTC / DISABLED was executed. Solution is very simple. In my case that worked for me.

1. Run CMD and check - reagentc /info --> in this screen you see ID of folder which is nested in Recovery folder.

2. Create folder "Recovery" on disk C.

3. Inside folder "Recovery" create another folder which name is ID identified in step 1.

4.Copy WINRE.WIM and BOOT.SDI into the ID folder

5. Execute reagentc /disable

That's all.

Now you can delete folder Recovery on folder C a continue in your WinRE deploying.

George

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 9:55 AM