none
Windows 7 Ultimate - Product Keys not working

Question

• Just downloaded Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit edition (Build 7100). When it came to the product activiation screen none of the product keys I retrieved worked (triple checked).  I have generated several keys but no success.  It did let me continue on without entering a key but of course this leaves it in eval mode.  Tried to enter product keys again using the activation window and it still did not work.  It seems several people are having the same issue but I have not found any resolutions yet.  Is there one? 
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 1:30 PM

Answers

• Where did you "just download" Windows 7 RC1 from?  Microsoft discontinued it's RC1 download on August 20th.
    Carey Frisch
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 1:44 PM
  • Hi,

1. Microsoft has discontinued downloading RC1 since August 20th. However, if you’ve got the download and need a product key, they’ll be available until October 21, 2009. You can get a Product Key Here.
    2. I recommend you run the following command to see the detail information about your key supported version and check if the key and product are compatible.

slmgr.vbs -dlv

Usually the activation problem can be related to corrupted Activation Components in Windows,  we can reinstall licensing components and generate a new token.dat file using the following commands in an Administrator command prompt:

net stop sppsvc
    Cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareProtectionPlatform
    Ren tokens.dat tokens.old
    cd %windir%\system32
    net start sppsvc
    slmgr.vbs –rilc

When finished, try to re-activate to see if it works.

Best Regards.
    Dale Qiao

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 5:59 AM

All replies

• Where did you "just download" Windows 7 RC1 from?  Microsoft discontinued it's RC1 download on August 20th.
    Carey Frisch
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 1:44 PM
  • Hi,

1. Microsoft has discontinued downloading RC1 since August 20th. However, if you’ve got the download and need a product key, they’ll be available until October 21, 2009. You can get a Product Key Here.
    2. I recommend you run the following command to see the detail information about your key supported version and check if the key and product are compatible.

slmgr.vbs -dlv

Usually the activation problem can be related to corrupted Activation Components in Windows,  we can reinstall licensing components and generate a new token.dat file using the following commands in an Administrator command prompt:

net stop sppsvc
    Cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareProtectionPlatform
    Ren tokens.dat tokens.old
    cd %windir%\system32
    net start sppsvc
    slmgr.vbs –rilc

When finished, try to re-activate to see if it works.

Best Regards.
    Dale Qiao

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 5:59 AM