none
Windows 7 Freeze while browsing internet

Question

• Whenever I browse the internet, through Firefox or IE, the browser eventually freezes. This happens about every 10 minutes.
    After the browser freezes it spreads to the rest of the system. The keyboard and mouse eventually stop responding and a hard reset becomes necessary.

I've seen many people have this same problem, including people on technet, but never a solution.

Is there a solution to this problem? Does anyone know what the problem is?

Specs:
    Dell XPS 400
    Radeon x300 se
    Intel Pro/1000 PL Network Connection
    Intel Pentium D CPU 2.8 GHz

Friday, June 26, 2009 11:09 PM

All replies

• Striker9,

Did you manually install any drivers for your computer? Bios updates? Or did you let Windows Update handle it all?
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 1:59 AM
  • I let Windows Update do its thing. When that didn't work I tried installing network card and video card drivers. Those didn't seem to fix anything. It does everything fine except when I use a web browser.
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 8:26 PM
  • Try to start the browser with no add-ons enabled, then try to enable them one by one to find the problematic add-on if you have any.
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 12:46 AM
  • I also have this problem and while I suspect it was something to do with browsing with Firefox, it has also happened to me while using Visual C++ Express. Since I usually have both programs open simultaneously, I'm not sure which is causing it. For me it happens maybe once or twice a night. The window in focus will freeze and this will eventually spread to everything else. The hard drive light goes on solid. CTRL+ALT+DEL does nothing and then the screen goes black. The first few times I was just forcing a power off and rebooting, but then I decided to leave it for a couple of minutes and lo and behold my desktop eventually comes back of its own accord. Sometimes I get a dialog telling me that CTRL+ALT+DEL  didn't work.

I really would like to know what's causing it because it's really annoying! Windows 7 is otherwise so perfect on my laptop....
    Monday, June 29, 2009 5:08 AM
  • Try to start the browser with no add-ons enabled, then try to enable them one by one to find the problematic add-on if you have any.
    There are no add-ons installed. It happens in both Firefox and Internet Explorer.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 3:52 PM
  • Is there anything noteworthy in the event logs?

Can you capture a CrashOnCtrlScroll dump, when the system freezes?

How long do you wait before determining the system is frozen and needs a hard reset?
    Monday, June 29, 2009 3:55 PM
  • I have the same problem with Windows 7 RC-1 and Firefox.  The whole computer locks up after 15-30 minutes if Firefox 3.10 (and now 3.50) is left open idling.   The hard drive access light goes solid and I have no control over keyboard or on the mouse.  I have to punch the reset button to get control of my computer again. 
    I build therefore I am
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 2:13 AM
  • Hi Clever Boy Mick,

Are there any noteworthy events in the event logs?  Have you run chkdsk /r on your drives?
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 2:54 AM
  • I also have this problem and while I suspect it was something to do with browsing with Firefox, it has also happened to me while using Visual C++ Express. Since I usually have both programs open simultaneously, I'm not sure which is causing it. For me it happens maybe once or twice a night. The window in focus will freeze and this will eventually spread to everything else. The hard drive light goes on solid. CTRL+ALT+DEL does nothing and then the screen goes black. The first few times I was just forcing a power off and rebooting, but then I decided to leave it for a couple of minutes and lo and behold my desktop eventually comes back of its own accord. Sometimes I get a dialog telling me that CTRL+ALT+DEL  didn't work.

I really would like to know what's causing it because it's really annoying! Windows 7 is otherwise so perfect on my laptop....
    I'm having similiar problems with the RC after having zero problems with the beta release, but my system never fully crashes.  It just locks up, and the hard drive light goes solid and it takes anywhere from a few seconds to a couple of minutes to unfreeze. At first I thought it was a java or shockwave issue when using google chrome, but occurences with firefox, safari have presented themselves.  I've installed all drivers and plugins manually in addition to the automatic windows updates installations and nothing has remedied this problem.  The only thing I may be running in the background is itunes.  anyone have any ideas? 
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 6:49 PM
  • Hi Jalam321,

Are there any noteworthy events in the event logs?  Have you run chkdsk /r on your drives?
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 8:21 PM
  • I just ran chkdsk and it said "windows has checked the file system and found no problems"

could defragging the HD help?  I just installed the RC a week ago and have experienced these problems ever since
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 9:43 PM
  • To be sure, you ran chkdsk with the /r switch, and rebooted?

In my experience, 7's disk defragmenter service is adequate.

Have you checked the event logs for noteworthy events?
    Friday, July 03, 2009 12:54 PM
  • not sure what you mean by "/r switch", I ran chkdsk from the command prompt
    there's never a crash, so no events to report

thanks for the continuous help
    Friday, July 03, 2009 6:49 PM
  • Rather than running a plain "chkdsk", use the /r switch after the program name - type the following at an elevated CMD prompt and press Enter:
      chkdsk /r c:
    (replace c: with other drives you may have, in additional invocations of the command, so that all disks get checked.)

Just because there is not a crash, does not mean that no events will be logged, or that the events that may be logged will not be helpful or illuminating.
    Friday, July 03, 2009 9:07 PM
  • I am also seeing a similar issue. I am running RC 1 and after a little bit of time browsing inside of Firefox, my system completely locks up. However my hard drive light does not light up and stay lit. I have not experienced this issue while using IE but I have not used IE for the same amount of time. Currently I am working with IE to see if the issue will come up because this occurs almost every time I am using Firefox. I did manually update my video card driver (Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS) but I was experiencing this issue prior to that. I updated that driver because my laptop was freezing while I was playing Prototype; however that issue was not fixed. Other than this issue with the PC locking up, I think Windows 7 is excellent. Hopefully someone out there knows something. Also I have checked the event log and there is nothing unusual. This is a 2 week old hard drive that was just replaced. My other hard drive was giving me similar issues so I decided to contact Dell to have them replace it. This hard drive has been tested multiple times and has passed with flying colors.

My specs are:
    Vostro 1400
    Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2 GHz

Sunday, July 05, 2009 7:10 PM
  • Hi Champ2020,

This hard drive has been tested multiple times and has passed with flying colors.
    How did you test the drive?

Do you experience the behavior when you're using Firefox, if you're logged in as a different user?  What about if you use a different Firefox profile (exit Firefox, then launch Firefox.exe -profileManager)?
    Sunday, July 05, 2009 8:21 PM
  • I've noticed that these "freezing issues" have seemed to have stopped after switching to the "high performance" power setting.  I switched back to the "balanced" power setting and my system locked up again.  I immediately checked the event log, but no event was logged.  after examining some of the warnings and critical I noticed that an event 351 was present quite often.  The event properties identify the "ACPI driver for NT" and says that " the driver responded slower than expected."  any ideas on how I can remedy this problem?
    Monday, July 06, 2009 2:51 AM
  • Have you tried updating your BIOS?
    Monday, July 06, 2009 2:58 AM
  • I have long ago updated the bios on my GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3LR motherboard running a q9550 cpu to bios version F5 so that is not (was not) the problem.  I never see anything unusual in the event logs.  I do notice that whenever Win7/Firefox freezes up I have http://news.bbc.co.uk/ open in one of the browser tabs.  Last night I removed the network monitoring software by Cisco called Network Magic along with Cisco's Speed Pro which identifies choke points in my network.  Today things seem a little zippier and my system has not froze up yet.   Now I am also wondering if this Cisco software is/was contributing to my problems? 
    Mick
    I build therefore I am
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 2:59 PM
  • Given what it sounds like, it seems reasonable that it could be contributing to what you were experiencing...
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 3:24 PM
  • Hello

I too seem to have the exact same problem. I'm running Win7 build 7100 on my laptop. Everything installed smoothly. Every now and then, especially -but not exclusively- when I'm browing the Web with Firefox, the active application will stop responding and the HDD led will come on and stay on. However no actual disk activity seems to be happening. For a few seconds the rest of the system seems responsive but eventually everything will freeze leaving me with only the mouse to move around. I wait a few minutes, then everything comes back on and continues to work normally.

Nothing special gets reported to the event logs at the time of the freeze, although it does look like a timeout of some sort. I don't have Cisco Network Magic or any such software installed. What's more, I can work for hours on end on my office PC through Remote Desktop (a process more demanding I think both in network traffic and video than web browsing) without any problems.

I've just changed my power plan to High Performance and see how it goes.
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 3:16 PM
  • Hi ppoulos,

Also, consider running chkdsk /r on the drive...
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 5:10 PM
  • I am having exactly the same symptoms as the other guys here. I am still running Build 7100 on my PC. Occasionally HDD light will be just solid and computer stops responding. If I wait something like 3-5 minutes the system may or may not start responding again.

I've been browsing quite a lot and ppl are talking about this problem but no clear reason has been found (to my understanding). So before the problem has been isolated properly, it is very likely that the same problem remains in RTM release. Gotta get that one soon to get rid of this problem... kind of annoying as otherwise I just love the Windows 7!

And greetings from Finland, it was the last "warm day" for this year according to the news ;-)

Wednesday, September 02, 2009 8:38 PM
  • I am positive my issue is a shockwave issue. When I load up msnbc.com and have shockwave enabled my browser freezes for almost a minute before finally letting me click on any links. I am using IE8 and Windows 7 RC. When I disable shockwave , no freezes at all.

Sunday, September 13, 2009 11:10 AM
  • I too have the same problem with Windows 7 RC freezing. I did not have the problem before which made me think I had a hardware problem. It seemed to have started since the update to 7100 and since other users are experiencing the same problem I suspect now it was the update. The freezing happens in all sorts of situations making it difficult to know what is going on.

Hopefully, the problem will not persist with the release at the end of the month as it is very annoying.

Still trying to program
    Wednesday, October 07, 2009 2:30 PM
  • Same issue here. I was running the Win 7 RC and had no issues what so ever. I finally got my copy of Win 7 pro from my college.  Preformed a fresh install with formatted drive.  I ran windows update and installed current WIN 7 drivers for ATI graphics and chipset (Catalyst).  My system now freezes twice every hour.  No rhyme or reason no matter if I am web browsing or using MS Office.  Sometimes it freezes after the desktop loads.  I removed my sound card and wireless N card as well as their drivers. I am now running direct line to my NIC for connectivity and using on board audio with updated drivers. Still freezing. I then disabled on board audio, still freezing. Action center is NOT logging the freeze event. I am about to reinstall WIN 7 Pro again with no other programs installed just to see if the problem persists.

My specs:

Windows 7 Professional (x64)
    Asus AM3 M4A785TD-V EVO main board
    AMD X3 720 processor
    4 Gb  DDR3 1066 Super talent memory
    ATI HD4870 1 Gb video card

HELP!

Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:24 PM
  • Me again.  It definately does not like IE8. Most freezes while im on a site or browsing. Has not froze during World of Warcraft. Strange thing happened today.  While at a site, my whole screen changed to the same flat color, no text just solid color.  I was unable to do anything, system froze no HDD light on. Had to hard reboot. Then had trouble at start up. Reboot.  Did the solid color trick one more time. I had updated the ATI 4870 graphic driver that windows suggested. I will restore back prior to this update. I still get occasional freezes out of IE8. I am at a loss. Win 7 RC ran fine, same system, with all of my cards plugged in. Currently running clean with only Mainboard audio and NIC dvice. I hope MS finds a solution. This is getting very frustrating while trying to finish college homework.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 12:21 AM
  • I have changed the power settings to high performance and updated the graphics driver for the ATI Radeon Mobility HD2400 and the freezing has now stopped.

Still trying to program
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 5:51 AM
  • Thanks, I just changed it.  Hopefully I'll get the same results.

Saturday, October 24, 2009 3:25 PM
  • I have received and now installed my version of Windows 7. After installation the laptop started freezing again. I installed the same ATI driver as before and the freezing has stopped. I also noticed that after a couple of updates an additional update for the ATI Mobility Radeon HD2400 graphics card was offered. I haven't had any more freezing since. My power settings are on high performance.

Still trying to program
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 6:22 AM
  • Whenever I browse the internet, through Firefox or IE, the browser eventually freezes. This happens about every 10 minutes.
    After the browser freezes it spreads to the rest of the system. The keyboard and mouse eventually stop responding and a hard reset becomes necessary.

I've seen many people have this same problem, including people on technet, but never a solution.

Specs:
    Dell XPS 400
    Radeon x300 se

IE8 will freeze and/or report that it has closed (although sometimes it doesn't actually close when it says it does), several time throughout the day. The Action Center reports that this was caused by the Adobe Flash Player. These problems didn't start until I installed the Flash Player add-on and go away if I disable it. But a lot of websites are unviewable without it. I cannot run IE8 in 64 bit mode because Adobe does not have a Flash Player for 64 bit yet. I read a review on Windows 7 from a well known web site extolling the virtues of upgrading to Windows 7, but he author mentioned that 6 minutes into wrinting his review IE8 stopped responding (screen pic was included). It's hard to believe that this isn't a well known problem from everything I have seen or read.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 3:12 PM
  • I installed the ATI update and changed the power settings to high performance. It worked great for hours and then Boooyah~frozen solid! I am at a loss. I am probably going to wipe and reinstall just because I have nothing better to do with my time, thanks Microsoft. 
    Monday, October 26, 2009 8:37 AM
  • At least action center gives you a report. The only thing I get is IE8 asking me if I want to restore last session.  I am with you that there is definately an Flash problem.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 8:38 AM
  • Not sure if this is any help but did you install ATI's driver first before updating the suggested driver with Windows update?
    Still trying to program
    Monday, October 26, 2009 8:45 AM
  • Shorty044:
    ...I have nothing better to do with my time, thanks Microsoft.
    ... I am with you that there is definately an Flash problem.
    To be sure... Microsoft doesn't make Flash...
    Monday, October 26, 2009 10:00 AM

• I am aware they don't make flash. I said thanks, because it is frustrating that everything would work fine on RC but not the release. I took your advice and ran chkdsh /r. no errors on disk.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 5:35 PM
  • SOLUTION TO VISTA x64 and WINDOWS 7 x64 FREEZE with CONSTANT HARD DRIVE ACTIVITY / LIGHT

(or at least to my problem...maybe yours is the same!)

I'm not sure this is the right place forum, but I have a SOLUTION that has worked (so far) to solve my problems of Windows 7 x64 freezes.

The symptoms were:
    10 to 30 second freezes with constant hard-drive activity (ie, the hard-drive light was on).  Recovered after that.

What I did to fix it:
    In device manager, my AHCI driver (some sort of hard drive driver) was a "standard 1.0" one, or something like that, which was installed by windows automatically when I installed the new OS (clean install).

Apparently this is not the correct driver for my system (a few years old Thinkpad T61), and windows update / update-driver doesn't find anything newer.  So, I went to intel's website, and downloaded the "Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager", at:

They have a version that works for Windows 7 x64 (just check out the download site yourself, because the above version might not be exactly what you need).

Once it installed, I see under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers in Device Manager, some intel stuff.  I believe the ICH8M UltraATA 2850 storage controller did not change, but instead of the "Standard 1.0" (or whatever it was) AHCI controller, it now shows Intel(R) ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller.

FREEZES ARE GONE!  Yay!

If this helps anyone, go post it in another forum to spread the word.  I know a lot of people have had this constant-hard-drive-activity freezing in Vista x64 and Windows 7 x64.

-Paul
    • Proposed as answer by Jersey Dude Sunday, December 13, 2009 12:54 PM
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 1:33 AM
  • Hi,
       This happened to me twice, the 1st time, I restored to an earlier time & was fine, the 2nd time, after a little searching, I found I had a "releventknowledge' program on my system. It is either a marketing program, or spyware, depending on who you believe. I got it downloading KC software's SUMO, which checks if all your progeams have are current. It worked fin in Vista (I'm going to check if relevantknowledge' is on my Vista system, but it hangs any browser in WIN7. Manually deleting it; files, folders & registry keys) took care of it . Hope this helps.

Jim
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 12:25 AM
  • SOLUTION TO VISTA x64 and WINDOWS 7 x64 FREEZE with CONSTANT HARD DRIVE ACTIVITY / LIGHT

(or at least to my problem...maybe yours is the same!)

I'm not sure this is the right place forum, but I have a SOLUTION that has worked (so far) to solve my problems of Windows 7 x64 freezes.

The symptoms were:
    10 to 30 second freezes with constant hard-drive activity (ie, the hard-drive light was on).  Recovered after that.

What I did to fix it:
    In device manager, my AHCI driver (some sort of hard drive driver) was a "standard 1.0" one, or something like that, which was installed by windows automatically when I installed the new OS (clean install).

Apparently this is not the correct driver for my system (a few years old Thinkpad T61), and windows update / update-driver doesn't find anything newer.  So, I went to intel's website, and downloaded the "Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager", at:

They have a version that works for Windows 7 x64 (just check out the download site yourself, because the above version might not be exactly what you need).

Once it installed, I see under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers in Device Manager, some intel stuff.  I believe the ICH8M UltraATA 2850 storage controller did not change, but instead of the "Standard 1.0" (or whatever it was) AHCI controller, it now shows Intel(R) ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller.

FREEZES ARE GONE!  Yay!

If this helps anyone, go post it in another forum to spread the word.  I know a lot of people have had this constant-hard-drive-activity freezing in Vista x64 and Windows 7 x64.

-Paul

Thank you Paul,

I was having the same problems with my 32-bit Home Premium version of Windows 7 (Retail version).

I updated the AHCI driver and the system seems stable for now.
    Sunday, November 01, 2009 9:36 AM
  • I have the same problem now and then, things i've tried are listed below but nothing seems work, there is nothing ever listed in the event log, by the way, i don't use AHCI.

1) chkdsk /r
    2) chkdsk /f
    3) SpinRite
    4) Western Digital Diag
    5) Defrag
    6) updated all drivers from manufacturers web sites, GFX, sound, chipset, HDD controllers, etc
    7) instaledl all available Windows updates
    8) updated bios
    9) installed Windows on three different hard drives

Also, please don't patronise me or anyone else, i have worked with computers for 20 years and this issue is NOT user error, nor is it third party software, it IS without doubt a Windows 7 issue.

This issue is without doubt a Windows 7 problem and microsoft need to get a fix out for this issue, what happens if the system freezes when someone is working on a very important document and they need to do a hard reset because Windows 7 has one of it's little fits.
    Sunday, November 01, 2009 2:45 PM
  • Just wanted to add that I am have a very similar issue with w7 temporary freezes. It seems to happen at random intervals and I'm unable to pinpoint exactly what is causing it. Sometimes I can go days without a freezes, sometimes within 5 minutes. It doesn't seem to be related to hibernation since I don't use it and it doesn't freeze when the monitor comes out of sleep mode.
    What does happen is that everything running on the computer, except sometimes (interestingly) Windows Live Messenger will freeze and not respond to clicks. My mouse pointer will remain usable, but clicking or pressing keys on the keyboard will do absolutely nothing. While this freeze is happening, the disk activity light on the front of my case will remain solid and not flicker at all, which is highly unusual. After about 5-10 minutes of the freeze, the system will start responding again along with all the actions I did while it was frozen, for example if I hit the windows key a few times the start menu will flash up and down, or if I've clicked on a few things the menus might appear all at once.
    So far I've tried running a chkdsk /r /f with no problems found on any of my disks, I've done spyware, adware and virus scans on all the disks with nothing found. I defrag my computers hard drives at 6am every day with the w7 defrag scheduler just in case that was the cause of the problem.. but that hasn't fixed it. The only thing I've seen anywhere else that I haven't tried yet is installing windows 7 to another hard drive, that might be my project this afternoon.
    All my drivers were installed by windows 7 unless it couldn't find anything, in which case I've used vista x64 drivers. Using the latest graphics drivers as well, which I check for updates on daily. I also do windows update daily as well and have all the latest updates for all my software and hardware.

While running resource monitor I have noticed the freeze at several points, but never with the same two or three things near the top of the disk activity scale. The scale shows that the hard disk has gone to 100% activity, but the resources using it don't attribute to that.
    Intel Matrix Storage Manager is already installed and seemingly working fine.....

On another related note I had an issue with the network adapter losing it's gateway IP if a lot of bandwidth was put through it, fixed that by disabling and uninstalling the adapter in safe mode as an administrator then rebooting. Not sure if the two are related but the network adapter problem is now fixed....

Really don't know what else to try apart from installing to a different hard drive... anyone had any more ideas? Or perhaps a fix from microsoft?
    Friday, November 06, 2009 1:30 PM
  • I had the same problem with VIsta Ultimate, upgraded to W7 and it went away. I have no knowledge of how or why.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 9:12 PM
  • I finally found the problem for my machine, at least.  Internet Explorer 8 loads a bunch of add-ons with it.  These, to some extent, also affect any browser you are using, so, for example, Firefox windows were freezing as well as IE8, but to a lesser extent.  Go into "tools" in your IE8 browser window, then "manage add-ons", then disable the add-ons.  I should have done it one at a time and tested after each one.  Instead, I disabled them all at once.  I noticed almost immediately that the internet windows were no longer freezing up.  I started to "enable" them one at a time, but as soon as I got to "Shockwave Flash 9.1.01", the windows froze again.  After hard booting, most of the add-ons disappeared from the list.  Right now I only have some Microsoft and Google add-ons enabled, but IE8 has been behaving itself and is actually pretty zippy.  The windows seem a little clearer than Firefox.  Don't know what I have messed up by getting rid of all the add-ons, but at this point I don't care.  When I run into something that does not work, I will download add-ons one at a time.  Hope this helps someone.  It took me two weeks of screaming to finally find this out, and Dell tech reps did not know it either. 
    • Proposed as answer by cruise2 Wednesday, November 25, 2009 12:43 AM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 12:43 AM
  • That's essentially the same thing mentioned by Arseny Kravchenko in this same topic, almost 5 months ago...
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 1:29 AM
  • @paulswirhun:

You are my new BFF. (lol) 

I have been struggling with this for three months on my photoshop desktop machine.   I have wasted so much time looking for the answer and almost ordered a new desktop twice.  Windows 7 at first breathed new live into this machine but then this problem started slowly killing me.  Your solution above worked for me on my Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit non RAID machine (Dell Dimension 9100).

Thanks!
    Mike
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 12:54 PM
  • I HAVE FOUND A QUICK EASY FIX TO INTERNET FREEZING / FLASH PLAYER NOT WORKING / MUSIC AND VIDEOS NOT WORKING / NO SOUND ON LAPTOP AT ALL.

This worked for me anyways. I was looking up on a forum why my music, ITunes and WMP, weren't working. This forum in a different thread told me to remove WMP, as in like completely uninstall it by:

1) Clicking Control Panel
    2) Click Programs
    3) Click Programs & Features
    4) On the left hand side of the window says "Turn Windows features on or off"   see it? good job now Click it.
    5) Once it loads up, expand the Media Features folder and Un-Check the Windows Media Player.

After you unchecked hit ok. It will end up asking you to restart and takes about, mine took about 8 minutes, to restart because it uninstalls windows media player AND windows media center. After the OS booted, i logged in and just for the ____ of it check my itunes to see if it worked. Holy ____ it did. I tried myspace, you tube, stickam, addicting games, everyplace I know froze the internet was not frozen. I have been using this for about 2 days and its working perfectly. Just no WMP, meaning no files that are WMV format are able to play, that I found out.  This doesn't bother me since all the files I play are through ITunes.  I hope this helps as it did me. I have a 64 bit HP Pavilion dv4 series laptop.

<-->mugzy09

p.s. sorry for the sarcasm. Not the biggest windows 7 fan atm due to the retard...ness of what they created.
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 5:50 AM
  • I have had Win7 RC installed for about 5 months now. I am able to replicate the freeze by opening certain flash sites in IE8.  There are no entries in the log beyond "system recovered from unexpeceted shut down". 

Specs:
    Windows 7 RC1 Ultimate x64
    Intel Quad Core 7 Extreem
    12 GB Ram
    ATI 4870X2 2GB
    RAID 1 WD Raptor 300 GB Drives
    ASUS Mobo

ALSO:  All drivers are up to date and checked.
    I have not tried to remove WMP yet.... Hopeing to not have to do this as I would lose my TV on the computer! lol

My system will freeze or shutdown with no warning.  It is random even though I can replicate by visiting the before mentioned sites.

After researching this on many sites, I have come to realize that IT IS A WINDOWS 7 issue.  There seems to be many factors that may cause this... x32, x64, Home, Ultimate, Nvidia, ATI, Flash, WMP...

They all seem to be mentioned.

I do fear what this is doing to my hardware!!!!!!!

If anybody has any ideas to how to fix the freezing please pass it on as there seem to be many of us in the same boat!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you
    Frustrated Windoze User

Thursday, January 07, 2010 10:02 PM
  • I just had another freeze but I have noticed something and I want to see if others may have this...

In the Event Logs under System in the entry before system reboots does anyone have the following: (AELOOKUPSVC)

- System

- Provider
          [ Name] Service Control Manager
          [ Guid] {555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}
          [ EventSourceName] Service Control Manager

- EventID 7036
          [ Qualifiers] 16384

Version 0

Level 4

Task 0

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8080000000000000

- TimeCreated
          [ SystemTime] 2010-01-08T05:38:04.755971100Z

EventRecordID 121772

Correlation

- Execution
          [ ProcessID] 628
          [ ThreadID] 6016

Channel System

Computer kslenker-PC

Security
    - EventData
        param1 Application Experience
        param2 stopped
        410065004C006F006F006B00750070005300760063002F0031000000

Binary data:

In Words

0000: 00650041 006F004C 006B006F 00700075
    0008: 00760053 002F0063 00000031

In Bytes

0000: 41 00 65 00 4C 00 6F 00 A.e.L.o.
    0008: 6F 00 6B 00 75 00 70 00 o.k.u.p.
    0010: 53 00 76 00 63 00 2F 00 S.v.c./.
    0018: 31 00 00 00 1...

Friday, January 08, 2010 6:35 AM
  • mugzy09...  How is the system running since you remove WMP?

Any luck?
    Friday, January 08, 2010 6:42 AM

Specs:
    Dell XPS 400
    Radeon x300 se

Dell Inspiron 1750   Windows 7 Update over Vista

Machine freezes progressively and I noticed the windows fade in colors or the background turns white.  Seems the applications stop responding slowly.  Start menu responds, but then stops.  There are no Viruses.

Cause is from a Windows update I believe as the only thing installing is Auto-Updates.

Installed all the latest drivers and BIOS.

Overall I believe Windows 7 Home Premium SUCKS big time and is not compatible with Dell drivers in some peculiar way.

One time I just booted the computer and left it idle and 15 minutes later it was frozen.
    Originally I thought this was Firefox, but now I see it happens with no foreground programs running.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?
    Friday, January 15, 2010 4:08 PM
  • After much search, I found this thread and I must agree with jeffsp. It must be a problem with Dell. Sometimes I just want to smash my laptop against the wall!

Please, if anyone has any suggestions they will be much appreciated.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 5:43 PM
  • Given:  In the PC world there is a lot of software that augments the operating system, and perhaps even more that augments Internet Explorer.

A Windows 7 installation that is an upgrade to an existing operating system (e.g., Vista) will:

a) Inheret all problems that may have existed on the prior system.
    b) Expose you to all kinds of new problems with software that was compatible with the prior system but isn't with the new system.

It is ALWAYS best to install a new operating system completely afresh, and go through all your applications to ensure they are compatible (and get new versions if not).

-Noel
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 6:36 PM
  • I have had Win7 RC installed for about 5 months now. I am able to replicate the freeze by opening certain flash sites in IE8.  There are no entries in the log beyond "system recovered from unexpeceted shut down". 

Specs:
    Windows 7 RC1 Ultimate x64
    Intel Quad Core 7 Extreem
    12 GB Ram
    ATI 4870X2 2GB
    RAID 1 WD Raptor 300 GB Drives
    ASUS Mobo

ALSO:  All drivers are up to date and checked.
    I have not tried to remove WMP yet.... Hopeing to not have to do this as I would lose my TV on the computer! lol

My system will freeze or shutdown with no warning.  It is random even though I can replicate by visiting the before mentioned sites.

After researching this on many sites, I have come to realize that IT IS A WINDOWS 7 issue.  There seems to be many factors that may cause this... x32, x64, Home, Ultimate, Nvidia, ATI, Flash, WMP...

They all seem to be mentioned.

I do fear what this is doing to my hardware!!!!!!!

If anybody has any ideas to how to fix the freezing please pass it on as there seem to be many of us in the same boat!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you
    Frustrated Windoze User

I must also agree this is a Windows 7 problem, and MSFT cannot own up to it because of all the Vista problems.  I have this random lockup issue on a brand new Dell laptop with the latest hardware, drivers, BIOS, intel chip, etc.....and the oem pre-installed win7 Pro 64-bit.  This is a business-killer: hard to replicate or predict, and total hard re-boot required.

I had used Win7 ultimate RC on a macbook pro (newest model) natively via Bootcamp partition, and I had these freezes.  I chalked it up to Bootcamp not fully supporting Win7 with drivers, etc. 

So far, my only real option seems to be XP again......and I will need to buy a full version I think!!!!
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 2:28 AM
  • Given:  In the PC world there is a lot of software that augments the operating system, and perhaps even more that augments Internet Explorer.

A Windows 7 installation that is an upgrade to an existing operating system (e.g., Vista) will:

a) Inheret all problems that may have existed on the prior system.
    b) Expose you to all kinds of new problems with software that was compatible with the prior system but isn't with the new system.

It is ALWAYS best to install a new operating system completely afresh, and go through all your applications to ensure they are compatible (and get new versions if not).

-Noel

So how do you explain the fact that my brand new Dell laptop has this random lockup issue straight out of the box.

everything was OEM-installed:  Win7 Pro 64-bit, ATI 1GB video card with newest drivers, 4 GB RAM, latest BIOS, i7 mobile chip, etc, etc....

I really don't know what to do.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 2:33 AM
  • Hi, i've been having similar issues with mi win7 x64.. But insteado of rebooting or needing to reset if i wait for about 3 minutes it cames back normal..
    I've noticed that there is a problem with the .gif extension.. all browsers (ie8, chrome, firefox) hangs when reading a webpage with those files, also when I install any program that needs to copy .gif files also hangs for several minutes and then continues. its really anoying. can't figure out what's causing it..
    i have a hp hdx18-1180us. been using w7 since earlier release candidates with no problems but started a while after installing final version. also bios and all drivers updated through hp website.
    a clue anyone?
    thanks
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 1:53 AM
  • I agree with the above. We are all angry and frustrated - new machine pre-installed - lockups several times per session ( between 3 and 30 times each day!!!)- various apparent causes.

i.e.

Kernel Power failure 40 in past 2 months since purchase, 15 in past 7 days
    Service control manager unable to count since purchase (too many) , 188 in past 7 days
     Huge number of other errors, many of which when I follow up either no answer, require a deep technical knowledge level, or relate to things apparently not in windows 7 which I can't understand either (side by side???), browsing the list mainly seem failures of various parts and services within windows 7.

All we want is a working system - not interested in blame just fix it! In the meantime improve diagnostics, they are fairly good just not good enough to assist with the huge number of problems both within windows 7 and revealed as possibly 3rd parties not catching up yet with full compatability of products and software.

Both the initial hype and the attraction of all windows 7 features will carry windows 7 for a while, but when the tilt point is reached there will be such a fast rejection as to cause the equivalent of a corporate panicattack.  MS - get therapy now. be calm. Focus and fix it - before it breaks MS.
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 3:32 AM
  • I've had a lot of problems with my PC freezing over the last several of months. At first, it only froze once every few days, usually while gaming. Then, it got to the point where it was freezing several times a day. Next, my internet connection would fail every 5 minutes. I would have to reset the gateway constantly.
    I was cursing Windows 7. I reinstalled my OS several times to no avail. I even went back to XP. However, it was happening in Win XP too. I could not find any pattern to the problem.
    Finally, I stripped everything out of my case, and reinstalled each component, after my PC failed to boot one day. It would get stuck at "verifying dmi data" and go no further.
    I eventually discovered that the problem has something to do with USB. I had to unplug my USB hub and MP3 player to finally get the darn PC to work. My USB keyboard/mouse does not cause any problems. I thought maybe it was a bad port, but it doesn't matter which port I am plugged into. I have left my hub and Sansa Fuze MP3 player unplugged for a week now, and everything is running great! (Sorry, for cursing at you, Windows!)

MOBO: XFX 790i Ultra
    BIOS P06 w/default settings. . . going back to P09 to test shortly
    CPU: Q6600 2.4ghz
    RAM: 2 x 1024 Corsair DDR3 XMS3 1333
    GPU: 2 x EVGA 8800 GTS 512 SLI
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 4:21 AM
  • The same happens to me, the screen ends up turning beige and the loading cursor comes up.

Try using different browsers, if that doesn't work try downloading the "faster firefox" add on, on mozilla firefox.

Saturday, March 20, 2010 10:45 AM
  • The same happened to me, the screen turns beige and the loading cursor comes up.Try using different browsers, if that doesn't work, try downloading the fasterfox add on for mozilla fiefox 
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 10:54 AM
  • i would only use device manufacturer drivers, the one's that came with your pc. i don't update drivers through windows update because it caused serious problems several times.

my rule is, don't update any drivers whatsoever unless there is a reason to do it. especially you should get them directly from the manufacturer.

now, my best guess is this has to do with your graphics adapter driver or network driver

Monday, March 22, 2010 7:46 PM
  • i had similar problems, with it, on both sli and cross-fire config system.

q6600 with ep45-ud3p CF, I know the knenel should not be too bad if it was failling, i hope because, it's running at 3.2 and underful load most time, only problem i see if from the log otherwise, the system functions normal.

Saturday, May 01, 2010 5:17 AM
  • Thankyou very much this solved the problem completely.

For others, forget the due dilligence, start with this solution and save yourself quiet a few hours.

Thursday, May 06, 2010 12:44 PM
  • Thankyou very much this solved the problem completely.

For others, forget the due dilligence, start with this solution and save yourself quiet a few hours.

What solved the problem?

Please quote the solution.  I need it bad.

Thanks.

Sunday, May 09, 2010 3:43 AM
  • I am running into the same problem. Just built my computer using SLI with 2 NVIDIA N250GTS Twin Frozr (I also tried to take one out and just used one graphic card). The computer freezes after a half hour or an hour of browsing the internet. Doesn't matter if I use IE 8 or Firefox. So what is the solution to fix this if anyone can help? Thank you

I updated bios on the mother board. It's an Asus P6T.

Its so frustrating. I am running both windows 7 and windows XP (on separate hard drive). When using windows XP, nothing happens so I know nothing's wrong with the hardwares. It's gotta be windows 7. Not sure how to fix this. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Much appreciated!

Sunday, May 09, 2010 6:14 AM
  • I have same problem. Spend 4 hours looking for solution, but nothing. Well i send email to MS and i will wait one week. After that i'il claim for my money back. I CAN NOT recomendet windows 7 to my customers. Because pay 170£ for Beta version is expensive joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saturday, May 15, 2010 10:26 PM
  • My dell dimension 9200 PC started doing this right after I added a pci card to accept my spare pcmcia wireless card. No warnings just froze solid and only thing to do was power down. On this machine replacing the windows generic wireless driver stopped this. It was only doing it when I was uploading information or loading pages so decided this must be the culprit. I do believe I was having boot issues and may also have updated my AHCI driver previously.
    Wednesday, June 09, 2010 1:06 AM
  • I removed Windows media player plugin for flash problem fixed for me.

Monday, June 14, 2010 8:26 PM
  • I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium on a 32 bit Toshiba laptop. It has recently started freezing solid at random times, but only when my Virgin Broadband USB modem is running. The modem can be plugged in but not running - never freezes. When running, the freeze can occur at any time. 5 minutes, an hour, whatever. The modem does not freeze another laptop running Windows Vista that I have tested several times. Any ideas gratefully received. 

Tjanpi.

Friday, June 18, 2010 4:38 AM
  • What does "running" mean - powered on?
    Friday, June 18, 2010 4:50 PM
  • All I can say is that I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. 

I have an i7 on an Asus P6T built with premium components (cyberpowerpc).  It came with Vista, I upgraded it to Win7, worked fine, then installed Win7 clean on a new drive ... hangs on internet use.  It's predictable ... about 3-5 minutes after it's fully booted with the internet connection. Everything comes back but it takes 5 minutes or so.   It will almost never happen again unless I let the system go to sleep or reboot.  Hard drive light stays on, mouse keeps working, CPU activity zero.

I have to admit I haven't been able to be patient enough to go a few hours or so to confirm that running the network connection but no http activity (just messing around with office docs, etc.) will not cause hangs.  I guess I should do that.

Someone should make a list of all the possible steps to solve this.  This is what I have so far.

I've tried:

1. Safe mode with and without network.  Hangs with network.

2. Removed all unnecessary USB, eSATA, Firewire connections

3. Updated drivers straight from the manufacturer's websites, especially network drivers

4. Removed the wireless connection and wired it directly

5. Connected to cable modem directly instead of going through router.

6. Removed all add-ons from Firefox, confirmed the hangs with Firefox and IE.

7. Reinstalled (again) Windows 7, clean, to confirm that I hadn't messed something up in the process -

8. Booted "clean" ... prevented all services except MS services from starting on bootup (other pages describe this, via msconfig or other means)

9. Started knocking out unnecessary services based on blackviper dot com

Next steps:

10. Will next try the windows media player and network storage manager strategies.

11. Will buy brand new hard drive and re-install to that.  Maybe there is something wrong there ... doubt it though.

12. Will get a new motherboard and try again.  (Asus P6T may be buggy, but I doubt that too)

13. Will revert to XP or Vista!

Friday, June 18, 2010 8:43 PM
  • I too have had all these problems of windows 7 freezing, then won't start, i tried everything, After a reformat everything was ok , then it started again. I think i have found the problem, after changing to Microsoft security essentials it picked up an an item called Exploit:JS/ShellCode.A which it removed on 2 occasions.

This is what it said

Catergory :Exploit

Description: this program is dangerous and exploits the computer on which it runs

Recommendation Remove this software immediately

Microsoft Security essentials detected programs that may compromise your privacy or damage your computer. you can still access the files that these programs use without removing them ( not recommended) To access these files , select 'allow' action and click 'apply actions'. if this option is not available, log on as administrator or askthe locl administrator for help.

Items:

File: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\tmp.edb

Monday, June 21, 2010 11:27 AM
  • Well, it appears that it was actually my hard drive that was the problem.  I reinstalled to the original drive (an SSD that was getting too small) instead of the WD Green drive that I had been using since the upgrade.  No problems since. 

Have also updated the BIOS, but I don't think that was it since I used the new drive to connect to ASUS and update.  What made me try the old drive was that the problem was getting worse and worse. Which was odd, because it was a steady problem for about 3 months.   It wouldn't even boot right and the hard drive light would stay lit even through the boot process.  Nightmare.  I still stand behind WD drives though, and I suspect something was odd with the boot manager or format on the WD.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 7:17 AM
  • Yankthese, you said the WD Green drive was the one causing the problems, what HD did you change to? I have Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive.

I get the not responding status on mostly web browsers such as firefox AND internet explorer. What happens is it will just all of a sudden freeze, loading bars stop, all graphics such as loading icons on the web page tab will freeze. If i try to click anywhere on the web browser or screen again it will just turn a light opacity grey over the top of everything until it gathers itself and finishes what it was trying to do, which takes about 5 seconds to up to 3 minutes.

Ive also had random things happen to my custom built pc , such as not being able to boot up SOMETIMES, meaning i try it in the morning, wont boot up, fans light and everything would go, just no operating system or signal on my moniter, then id try again later in the day and it would boot up. I replaced my motherboard and i think that fixed it? for the most part. (hasn't happened in a while.) So i think that is pretty much gone now.

But ALSO!! while im using any other type of programs , literally anything, movie players, video editing programs, ventrilo, fraps, EVEN TASK MANAGER!!!!! will get the not responding status . which like i said above takes a couple seconds or minutes to clear up. Ive never had a full on freeze that wouldnt let up before, atleast that i can remember.

I play darkfall online, or atleast i used to until i got sick and tired of playing the game and randomly my frames would freeze up for 5 seconds up to 5 minutes at a time, JUST LIKE THE NOT RESPONDING SYMPTOMS!! My fps will hit 0 and my ping will spike to some crazy number in the thousands. This happens about every 5-10 minutes. The game was playable, just not in a very fun way. I want to fix this problem very badly and ive been reading up on these forums but have found nothing that will fix it yet.. There were a couple of windows updates that said would fix the issue of lockups and hangs.. but those didnt work. Ive replaced my gtx 295 graphics card, my p55 mother board, reseated my cpu, switched my ram around , tried no ram, updated my bios , chipset, graphics, sound, mouse, and keyboard drivers. Ive tried all of the old drivers for my graphix card. Ive reformatted a couple of times. My computer is under a year old.

I would be willing to spend 50-60 bucks on a new hard drive if i knew that was a definite fix. But i know there has to be another fix considering i didnt have this problem the first couple of months i had my computer when i was on vista. Im just not exactly sure where things went wrong then. I thought that upgrading to win 7 would solve the problem but its caused more than i expected....

Please if anyone has any ideas or suggestions i would gladly appreciate it. Thanks!

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 8:31 AM
  • you can use a registry cleaner to sort it our

http://www.registryfix123.com/

Friday, July 16, 2010 3:05 AM
  • On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 03:05:11 +0000, rcmz wrote:

you can use a registry cleaner to sort it our

http://www.registryfix123.com/

I don't know what the problem is, but I strongly recommend against
    the use of a registry cleaner.

Registry cleaning programs are all snake oil. Cleaning of the
    registry isn't needed and is dangerous. Leave the registry alone and
    don't use any registry cleaner. Despite what many people think, and
    what vendors of registry cleaning software try to convince you of,
    having unused registry entries doesn't really hurt you.
    The risk of a serious problem caused by a registry cleaner erroneously
    removing an entry you need is far greater than any potential benefit
    it may have.
    Read http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000643.html

And also
    http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2005/10/02/registry-junk-a-windows-fact-of-life.aspx

Let me point out that neither I nor anyone else who warns against the
    use of registry cleaners has ever said that they always cause
    problems. If they always caused problems, they would disappear from
    the market almost immediately. Many people have used a registry
    cleaner and never had a problem with it.

Rather, the problem with a registry cleaner is that it carries with it
    the substantial risk of having a problem. And since there is no
    benefit to using a registry cleaner, running that risk is a very bad
    bargain.

Ken Blake
    Friday, July 16, 2010 8:01 PM
  • well here's a good one. same issue. ie8 freezes with win 7 pro whenever i try to surf the net w/ie8 and it froze when i tried to just disable the ie add-ons right after clicking managing ie add-ons and before i could do anything to disable/manage any at all.

earlier today i went through all my services and startup items, disabling them all and adding them back due to win 7 pro freezing on me outside of ie8.  seemed to fix that but now still freezing in ie8.  also freezing w/firefox.  not freezing w/opera yet. not freezing w/chrome yet.

finally disabled windows media player and windows media center as recommended earlier in the thread.  this bought enough time to be able to get into ie8 and disable the add-ons.  disabled silverlight, zonealarm tool bars (but not zonealarm) of which there were 2 entries (hmm?), blog this in windows live writer, and discuss (what is that?).  was going to say that it was working just fine, because it did for longer than usual,  but just as i clicked on to another site on that computer, the whole system bsod'd on me and crashed.  geez. 

otoh, lest we jump to hardware conclusions, this same system runs ubuntustudio just fine w/no problems at all.  soooo...

just discovered i can't use win 7 w/mediaportal yet anyway which is the next thing i was planning to do.  looks like its back to xp & ubuntu dual boot for me.  cya l8ter win7.  maybe triple boot including win 7, maybe not. kinda po'd @microsoft right now.

Saturday, July 17, 2010 6:08 PM
  • I'm facing exactly the same problem as the rest mentioned: freezing W7 while browsing the net (whether Chrom, Firefox, IE8). I can keep my laptop running for days doing any other softwares but without browisng the net. So the problem is from Windows 7.

I'm getting annoyed that Microsoft is not able to solve this problem and apparently it is a global problem. I have 2000, Vista and XP for years but never came across this issue before.

I have tried all the solutions above (disabling Windows media player, ..etc( but the problem still exist..

Can we get someone to fix this for All. Unfortunately there is no system that you can contact Microsoft unless if you pay...

Thanks,

Sunday, July 18, 2010 4:06 PM
  • This problem simply does not exist on some Windows 7 systems - namely mine.

I am forced to draw the conclusion that all the glitz and crapware that those of you having the problem are loading by allowing ActiveX Add-ons is causing it.

I say this because I have configured my browser (IE) to distrust all web sites and allow none other than those in my Trusted Sites list to install software Add-ons.  I add my bank, etc. to my Trusted Sites list.  All others, I do without the glitz. 

For the very few times I really NEED to see the glitz or other special web page features, I keep a copy of Safari around.  Safari cannot run ActiveX, but it runs Javascript and most web sites allow for Safari, as no one really wants to turn their back on the Macintosh market.

My Add-ons list has two entries in it.  And my system runs and runs for as long as it takes between Microsoft Updates, which require a reboot.

Even with this restriction, I have a good antivirus package (Avast Pro).

This strategy really does work.

-Noel

• Proposed as answer by Engineer20 Thursday, July 22, 2010 1:36 PM
    Monday, July 19, 2010 2:08 AM

I am forced to draw the conclusion that all the glitz and crapware that those of you having the problem are loading by allowing ActiveX Add-ons is causing it.

I say this because I have configured my browser (IE) to distrust all web sites and allow none other than those in my Trusted Sites list to install software Add-ons.  I add my bank, etc. to my Trusted Sites list.  All others, I do without the glitz. 

For the very few times I really NEED to see the glitz or other special web page features, I keep a copy of Safari around.  Safari cannot run ActiveX, but it runs Javascript and most web sites allow for Safari, as no one really wants to turn their back on the Macintosh market.

My Add-ons list has two entries in it.  And my system runs and runs for as long as it takes between Microsoft Updates, which require a reboot.

-Noel

Noel,

Thanks for this tip. I tried it Safari and it works perfectyl. I deactivated all the Active X options and my IE8 is working perfect and will try the Firefox now.

I advise the rest to try it out and see,

Thanks,

Thursday, July 22, 2010 1:38 PM
  • I have Windows 7 installed on a Dell E300 desktop and have had NO problems with it.  Last month I bought a Dell Inspiron Mini 10 1012 with Windows 7 Starter pre installed.  I immediately encountered the pause of death (POD).   I get the POD when I watch a movie or browse the internet on any browser (happenes on FF and on IE 8).   Nothing seems to help.   I thought it was MS Security Essentials so I uninstalled it...still got the POD.  I just tried one of the suggestiong above by changing my power setting to High Performance and will report back later tonight after watching some more of Battlestar Galactica episode 1 here in my hotel room.   This issue really sucks because watching movies is one of the main reasons I bought this netbook...I even shelled out the extra $75 for the HD display.    I'm a MS loyalist, but certainly no fanboy.   Please MS wade in and help us out.
    straightener
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:06 AM

-Noel

Noel,

Thanks for this tip. I tried it Safari and it works perfectyl. I deactivated all the Active X options and my IE8 is working perfect and will try the Firefox now.

I advise the rest to try it out and see,

Thanks,

I'm sure this solution probably would work, but it completely defeats the purpose of having a high performance system. I have had this problem myself for months and while I have learned to live with it, Microsoft should acknowledge this is an issue and fix it. I didn't realize how widespread this issue was until I did a search recently. 
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 3:32 PM
  • Update:

Changing my power setting to "High Performance" worked.   I did not and have not had a reocurrance of this issue.   I'm not saying that this fix will work for everyone, but I think it will for those with Dell laptops with Windows 7 on them.  The Dell custom power settings must be faulty.   Anyways, I thought I'd post my findings.   Try the power setting change and see if it helps for the rest of you.

straightener
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 3:53 PM
  • This *PRECISE* issue happened to me when I was on Vista on my Dell Vostro 1400. A year after operating fine (less the horrible DVD drive), and then WHAM... this freezing issue.

I spent literal days plugging away using logic and hand drawn maps to figure out the problem... safe mode, adding things one by one, etc. Eventually I somehow found that update from Intel. I am a problem solver but not extraordinarily tech savvy.  I will grind my head into dust against a wall trying to solve a problem whether my expertise or not.  So it was solved.

Now I have installed 7, and two weeks later I am getting these *INSANELY* maddening lock ups.  It's weird... if it all just crashed or froze at once, I might be able to handle it.  But the constant slowing down, the tricky water torture of battling "well it isn't *completely* slow yet...... and just being angered and made insane by the mind numbing complexity of figuring out a solution.  First the keystrokes slow... then pausing for seconds, then meltdown, then hanging shutdown or full hand during processing and whammo... then hold down that silver power button, yet again.

You know... if you throw a frog into boiling water, it will jump out (if the computer crashes, I can handle it...), but if you slowly heat it up in cool water it will just sit there and boil to death.  

I am that frog with this problem.  I slowly go insane until the whirring and crunching of the drive all that is left between me and punching my fist through the back of my screen.

So I note my AHCI Intel Matrix Storage Manager that is currently installed is a 6/24/2009 version, and the one for my 32-bit win 7 is something like 7/24/2009.

So I updated it.  I also ran a F12 startup diagnostic *after* (stupidly not before) and there were zero problems.

So now I come back to this thread thanking Paul... and hoping it doesn't happen again.  It's like watching someone important to you slowly pass away with the hope it will all work out.

Anyhoo.... it has been quick as lightning now, but I am scared to slow down my typing or all of a sudden it will grind to a stop again, hard drive slurring and mocking at me.

I will keep you posted - everything feels good, but the hard drive is just plowing along. Makes me worried.

AUGH!!!!!!  It's doing it again.  I can feel it slowing up.  What to do?

This feels like a support group.

Sunday, August 15, 2010 10:48 PM
  • I have the identical Vostrp 1400 as you.  Did you ever resolve this?
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 11:21 PM
  • Would this be caused by the faulty NVIDIA GPU's from the Vostro 1400... or would that simply create flickr, lines, and screen blacking out?

If the hard drive is constantly on, and it eventually cpu operations slow down to a snail's pace.. is that a BIOS or Chipset issue?

Monday, August 16, 2010 12:03 AM
  • I know I know... no one is here right now.  I am determined to fix this, and might as well post this for future's sake.  Mine is a 7 load on top of Vista, and after hunting and pecking... it isn't startup stuff, and it isn't even my secondary system services.  It's a Microsoft system service.

JERKS!

Monday, August 16, 2010 2:17 AM
  • You know when you can tell it's fixed... aka going through every single thing and finally getting the hard drive to chill out?  The hard drive light isn't constantly on anymore, it's stable, it's fast as ever....

The file was in the Microsoft system services:

Unchecked "Microsoft Media Player Network Sharing Service".

All better.

It's so bizarre how many things can create the identical symptom.  It's not like I downloaded anything... it just started happening.

At least it's one more thing to check.

Win "System Administrator"... I heart you. I hate spending Sunday doing this... but wow, I did it!

Monday, August 16, 2010 4:31 AM
  • Hello All,

I just spent around a week diagnosing these same strange 'freezes' on my windows 7 machine and I found 2 things that were locking the system up.  These freezes completely froze my desktop so I couldn't even move my mouse and there was never a blue screen or anything (scary).  They are as follows:

Google Updater:  I had downloaded this utility along with google earth and then after downloading google earth I uninstalled the google updater.  After a system freeze I noticed the last event in my event viewer said that gupdate tried to connect and see if the software needed updating.  The software was no longer on the computer, so why it was still checking for updates is beyond me.  I re-installed google web updater and this issue went away.

Power Save Mode:  My hard disks were set to turn off after 20 minutes of idle time.  This also freezes my pc on desktop with no error.  How many different version of windows has this power saving been an issue?!  I think every single version of windows I have owned has this issue. 

No crashes since these fixes so I am hoping I am good to go.  I am a little skeptical though since this issue seems to rear it's ugly head with the slightest of problems.

Hope this helps all!

Andy Weamer
    Software Engineer
    FunNbiz.com

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 11:16 PM
  • I have had the same problem for the last few weeks. Internet browsing (either F-Fox or IE) would cause system to freeze within 5 or 10min of use requiring a hard reboot (Ctl-Alt-Del would not respond), furthermore processors would essentially stop and sys monitor would show them running at 1-2% use with everything other than mouse frozen.

Non-essential IE and F-Fox add ons were disabled

FFox:

MS office plugin for FFox disabled

Windows live photo gallery disabled

IE: No longer working, but I don't use it anyways. Disables all the MS addons.

Updated Flash driver.

Now things seem to be functioning normally. We'll see what happens over the next few days.

Friday, October 15, 2010 5:12 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem as Dr Scoob. Just started in the last week or so. System freezes in IE or Firefox, within minutes of using either one. Must re-boot.

I am suspecting Flash driver. I had an update to Flash about the same time. I've disabled hardware acceleration to see if that makes a difference.

Very annoying. First significant windows 7 problem I have had in a year.

Monday, October 25, 2010 12:42 AM
  • Over the last 2 months I did everyone suggestions above on this problem, BIOS update, Video Card change, MS Hotfix, disabled everything many times, and many others.

But I now have a working computer after following one suggestion about WD Green Hard Drive, I had one, so I cloned it to a WD Black HD (probably a better choice anyway) after a few issues to get it to boot, I finally got it .

I now have a computer that has not frozen for 48 hours about 47.75 hours more than it ever has. This problem (I think started 6 month ago) With an ASUS MB Bios causing BSOD, Bios update fixed it then the freezing started soon after that. Not sure if the WD Green had anything to do with the original problem vs BIOS.

Hope this helps some.

Monday, October 25, 2010 12:53 AM
  • I've been having a similar problem as everyone above. Mine doesn't totally crash the machine, but it gets very annoying. I'm running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit on a i7 860 cpu with 8 GB ram, Nvidia Gforce GT220 Video. If I'm browsing the internet using Internet Explorer ( latest updates installed), and I have my Windows Live Mail or anything else open, and I minimize the explorer window to look at the other, it freezes in the taskbar and won't reopen until I log off, and log back on again. Then I loose everything and have to start over again.....................it sucks big time!! Sometimes if I wait long enough, the icon frozen in the taskbar will reopen the window, but I can't wait forever!
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 3:34 AM
  • Been three weeks not a single freeze since I replaced WD Green Drive
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:14 AM
  • Hi..

Thought I would post here after having the same symptoms as described in this thread:

• Windows 7/64
    • Random "freeze" of windows for a duration of about 60s
    • During freeze mouse still works as do some apps (eg task manager, resource monitor), but can't launch any new apps
    • After freeze, everything is back to normal
    • Nothing in the event logs or anywhere else
    • Until last couple of weeks, OS/PC has been rock solid

What solved it for me is that I have some fast corsair ram that runs under a XMP profile. Somehow, this profile got reset to "Auto" in the BIOS. Once I set it back to XMP - problem solved!

This worked in my case and I hope this helps others.

Thursday, November 25, 2010 2:02 AM
  • Update... no this didnt fix it.
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 9:18 PM
  • Ok fixed now... bought a new hard drive and reinstalled windows. No more freezing.

Put the old hard drives back in as secondary drives and still have no problems. Which leads me to believe it wasn't a hardware problem at all, but just time to reinstall Windows, which is something I have to do pretty much once a year. Great O/S!

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 7:53 PM
  • My issue is even more strange. Clean install of Windows 7 ultimate on a partition.  I also have Vista running on the same HD, as I want to slowly transition to W7.

All works fine, BUT when using firefox 3.5 or 3.6 or even the beta 4   it hangs my computer when opening mail.yahoo.com  (???)   It does not happen with IE.  I also noticed other sites cause the same issue, always using firefox......

can someone tell me if you have the same issue?

Thanks!

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 2:57 PM
  • well I have had the same problem for a year now, with no improvement. The thing is, this issue does not happen with ubuntu, it only happens with the windows 7 installation. My computer is an Asus k42jr, and the first one that I got couldn't even get past the asus installation at the initial startup. I did a clean install, and it would take about half an hour to get to the login screen with all the hang ups. After sending that one back and receiving the new one, I didn't have the problem for a while, and just when I thought I was problem free, the computer started freezing up again!

Done everything possible, installed every possible software to check the hardware, updated the BIOS, drivers, and it just randomly freezes. It would go on without freezing for couple days, and then suddenly start doing it like an illness. Still no solution no nothing.

By the way, the freezes are not permanent, it only freezes for a period, mostly a minute or two..

Any advices?

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 12:13 AM
  • Some of the common causes of system freeze in Windows 7 are as follows:
    Incompatible hardware or applications
    Low memory or disk space
    Bad sectors on hard disk
    Corrupt or damaged Windows registry

If hardware devices such as keyboard and mouse are not supported by the operating system, then Windows freezes become a common occurrence. If you run heavy applications that occupy a lot of memory space, the chances of conflicts between the operating system and such applications increases, leading to slowing down of the system. Consequently, your system starts to freeze on a regular basis. To fix this issue, all you need to do is to check out the compatibility of the software applications and drivers with the operating system before installing them on your PC.

Low memory or disk space
    Sometimes your system might lack sufficient hard disk space which then results in frequent system freezes. In most of such cases, cookies, temp files and folders occupy a lot of the memory space on your system. In such cases, you must use Disk Cleanup to delete such unwanted files and data from your system and free up the disk space. This will not just remove unwanted information from your hard disk, but will also allow you to compress your Recycle Bin and old files.

Bad sectors on hard disk
    Very often it has been seen that some bad sectors start developing on the hard disk. The moment you intend to access the information stored in these bad sectors, the system will hang. So, to come to an amicable solution, you need to keep your hard disk in good working condition by formatting, defragmenting and running system scans on a regular basis.

Corrupt or damaged Windows registry results in frequent system errors and system freezes. To cope with this issue, you should scan the Windows registry for errors by installing a registry cleaner software easily available on the Internet. To remove all the errors in the Windows registry, reboot your system.
    Windows 7
    • Proposed as answer by Wayne Villon Sunday, March 13, 2011 12:35 PM
    Monday, February 21, 2011 11:23 AM
  • Some of the common causes of system freeze in Windows 7 are as follows:
    Low memory or disk space
    Bad sectors on hard disk

If hardware devices such as keyboard and mouse are not supported by the operating system, then Windows freezes become a common occurrence. If you run heavy applications that occupy a lot of memory space, the chances of conflicts between the operating system and such applications increases, leading to slowing down of the system. Consequently, your system starts to freeze on a regular basis. To fix this issue, all you need to do is to check out the compatibility of the software applications and drivers with the operating system before installing them on your PC.

Low memory or disk space
    Sometimes your system might lack sufficient hard disk space which then results in frequent system freezes. In most of such cases, cookies, temp files and folders occupy a lot of the memory space on your system. In such cases, you must use Disk Cleanup to delete such unwanted files and data from your system and free up the disk space. This will not just remove unwanted information from your hard disk, but will also allow you to compress your Recycle Bin and old files.

Bad sectors on hard disk
    Very often it has been seen that some bad sectors start developing on the hard disk. The moment you intend to access the information stored in these bad sectors, the system will hang. So, to come to an amicable solution, you need to keep your hard disk in good working condition by formatting, defragmenting and running system scans on a regular basis.

Corrupt or damaged Windows registry results in frequent system errors and system freezes. To cope with this issue, you should scan the Windows registry for errors by installing a registry cleaner software easily available on the Internet. To remove all the errors in the Windows registry, reboot your system.
    Windows 7

I read through this whole blog and I definitely believe this is a issue with Microsoft and not sure why they are having a hard time to own up to it. Any how the good new from my perspective is that I adjust the power setting on my new HP G62 laptop that I got about 3 months ago as I had exactly the famous symptoms mentioned about IE & Firefox freezing up for 1-2 minutes sporadically. It started pretty much not long after I had purchase and started to use it. So fresh out of the box I believe it worked fine for probably about 2-3 days @ most and then the freezing started to happen.

Specs:

HP G62

4gb ram

320gb drive

quad core AMD Phenom II P940

Windows 7 home premium 64bit (OEM)

The goods news is based on going through this blog I can say after 3 days since I adjusted my power setting to 'high performance'. The freezing up & solid hard drive light being on all the time when the issue occurred has disappeared. Obviously this is a Microsoft issue as this blog has proven by the shear volume of different machines from different manufactures under Windows 7 that users are experiencing and wasting a lot of their valuable time in trying to resolve this issue. Microsoft unfortunately is such a big company that it's difficult for them to admit to such a issue but hopefully they'll own up to it and finally solve this issue for everyone. I've worked in PC troubleshooting for a long time(24 years) with my job and can definitely tell you based on all the information provided it this blog there is no doubt in my mind this is a general problem with Windows 7.

It seems to me most likely power management issues where hard drive goes into sleep mode to conserve energy and then when users start to us the PC again it wakes up and the issue starts occurring. Any how thanks to all the information that was provided in this blog and I'll live with the power issue and being a little less green rather then living with the constant freezing issue.

Microsoft own up to the issue and help us all be greener!!!  

Sunday, March 13, 2011 12:56 PM
  • My freeze is similar, and none of the common fixes seem to work. Observation: if a web site or player uses Flash the freeze will definitely occur, usually within 20 minutes or so of starting Flash use. So far, I've only seen it in Firefox (3.6.15) but I don't use IE 8 for general surfing so I can't report on it. Nothing is logged at the time of the freeze or leading up to it, but if I give up on waiting and pickle the reset button I get a string of warnings and errors on restart most of which complain about the unexpected shutdown and recovery actions related to it. About every 3rd time, a hardware error is logged ON RESTART not at the time of the freeze - usually a processor timer or bus/interconnect error. The hardware error does not result in a blue screen. However, the system has vague instability issues (various services log failure over time) unless I immediately do another "normal" restart, after which things run fine again unless I'm stupid enough to retry something with Flash.

Old ECS motherboard (BIOS is updated as far as I can go, which was several years ago)

Pentium D 945

2G RAM

500G SATA HD / more than 1/2 free

Windows 7 Professional upgrade as clean install on new disk from XP

BTW, Firefox & Flash work fine, and the hardware errors are not logged, when using XP SP3 Home on the same machine. When Win7 installed, it automatically set the computer up as dual-boot (good, since some olde games don't work in either 7 or XP Mode). Something is unstable in Win7. I haven't had freeze problems like this since Windows 98.

Friday, March 25, 2011 1:03 AM
  • If the computer/laptop came with bullguard internet security, it causes freezes while browsing in firefox for me, I disabled the safe browsing lug in and I no longer had problems, and prior to that I could not search anything without it resulting in freezing the whole browser and the page not responding, I assume of you don't have bullguard that something similar can cause problems.
    Friday, May 06, 2011 9:09 PM
  • Every time my computer shows this issue (couple of times a week freezing for 10 minutes or so) seems to be just before Windows changes the "Shut down" button in the Start menu to the version with an update to install. So my best guess is that this has something to do with Windows collecting the data for the new update, which somehow freezes the system.

Of course I really dont understand why collecting a windows update would get such a high priority that the entire system freezes, but its timing is too much related that it cannot be a coincidence.

Any idea where to adjust the priority given to Windows Update???

[Added]

I have searched and found Process Lasso to manage priorities for back-end processes so front-end should never be non-responsive again. I try it and will let you know if it solved my problem.

[/added]

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 3:30 PM
  • One thing EVERYONE experiencing any kind of display issue (and this seems somewhat tied to displaying things) should do:

Go to the web site of the maker of your video card and update your display driver.

Don't rely on Windows Update, and don't go into the Hardware Manager to do it.  Both of those mechanisms WILL deliver out of date and often buggy drivers (surprising, since the point of WHQL was to avoid that, but true).  GO TO THE WEB SITE OF THE CARD MANUFACTURER INSTEAD.  Here are some helpful URLs:

If you have a nVidia brand card:

ATI card:

Intel card:

Laptop

• Go to the website of the maker of the laptop.

-Noel

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 6:19 PM
  • Good news (at least for me):

I just received another update and I did not get a freeze! My problem appears to be solved using Process Lasso.

@Microsoft: Please work on a way to prevent backend processes freezing frontend processes to begin with!
    Wednesday, June 08, 2011 1:53 PM
  • Geez, has this got me pissed.  I spent money on a fairly heavy duty laptop, bought Win XP with it, paid ADDITIONAL money for a full blown retail copy of Win 7 X64, 4 MORE gigs of RAM and a 500 GB hybrid HD and I sit there looking at ghosty outlines of half my apps as they quit responding 4 to 6 times an hour.  I came REAL close to throwing the whole thing out the Window.

Yesterday I gave up and blew away Windows and reinstalled.  I was waiting for the activation to give me fits again like it did once before - but luckily it didn't this time.  After basic installation the system was real snappy, more so than it has been since the first installation.  I put on SP1 and ALL the updates and it was still OK.  I searched the manufacturers sites and got the disk controller, ethernet, wireless and video drivers latest versions. So it LOOKED good and RESPONDED fine - till I put Firefox on again, AGAIN with the pauses!

I am going to try the Process Lasso mentioned above and if that doesn't do it then I will slick it and go back to XP - to hell with XP going dead in 3 years, it frickin' WORKS.  The extra memory above 4 GB will be wasted but maybe I won't have a system that freezes so much.  Either that or switch to Ubuntu and just use VMWare player on an XP VM to satisfy all my MS needs.

This issue seems too common, since it seems X64 specific there hasn't been to much hell raised about it.  I am betting the farm that the "fix" will be more $$$ and a copy of Windows 8.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:58 PM
  • I'm sorry for the trouble it sounds like you're having, Roootman, but you should know that for most people it doesn't do that.

I suggest you run intensive diagnostics on your system, and scour the Windows logs for errors.  Something's wrong with your particular system.

You have pointed out that your system works great until you installed a bunch of stuff.  Ever consider that some of the stuff you've installed (including possibly even FireFox) may be buggy?   Or maybe your particular software combination stresses your particular drivers in ways they're not prepared to handle.  What GPU is in that laptop?  Intel by any chance?  Intel is still playing catch-up with driver development.

Are you using the power saving features at all?  Sleep mode?  That's problematic with some laptops.

I should point out that literally millions of people are running the x64 variant.  Something like nearly HALF the people running Windows 7.  It's not like x64 is rare any more.

-Noel

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 9:18 PM

i have the exact same problem on firefox on my new pc first time i used windows 7 64bit and i get random freezes and it says firefox (not responding) at top of the browser, then a few second later it spreads across whole system everything locked up. i also noticed if i left it a couple mins it donest require a restart everything just kicks back in to life like nothing happened...but its rather annoying ;p

Only seems to do it while brosing the web i heard it was flash player so i uninstalled it and it still locks up on flash sites without the plugin, any solutions pls :)

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 8:17 PM
  • If your Mozilla Firefox is freezes in Windows 7 then you need to disable the add-ons installed in your browser to resolve the issues with your add-ons. Your Mozilla Firefox may freeze when you attempt to download or save images in your computer, this is caused due to the conflicts from the older files. You can easily fix this issue by clearing download history. You also need to ensure the speed of the Internet connection. It is better to use a reliable high speed internet connection. If you are still experiencing the freezing issue, you need to uninstall and reinstall the Mozilla Firefox browser.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 5:28 AM
  • If your Mozilla Firefox is freezes in Windows 7 then you need to disable the add-ons installed in your browser to resolve the issues with your add-ons. Your Mozilla Firefox may freeze when you attempt to download or save images in your computer, this is caused due to the conflicts from the older files. You can easily fix this issue by clearing download history. You also need to ensure the speed of the Internet connection. It is better to use a reliable high speed internet connection. If you are still experiencing the freezing issue, you need to uninstall and reinstall the Mozilla Firefox browser.

Perhaps all you really need to do is turn off hardware acceleration within the Firefox options.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 10:37 AM
  • Geez, has this got me pissed.  I spent money on a fairly heavy duty laptop, bought Win XP with it, paid ADDITIONAL money for a full blown retail copy of Win 7 X64, 4 MORE gigs of RAM and a 500 GB hybrid HD and I sit there looking at ghosty outlines of half my apps as they quit responding 4 to 6 times an hour.  I came REAL close to throwing the whole thing out the Window.

Yesterday I gave up and blew away Windows and reinstalled.  I was waiting for the activation to give me fits again like it did once before - but luckily it didn't this time.  After basic installation the system was real snappy, more so than it has been since the first installation.  I put on SP1 and ALL the updates and it was still OK.  I searched the manufacturers sites and got the disk controller, ethernet, wireless and video drivers latest versions. So it LOOKED good and RESPONDED fine - till I put Firefox on again, AGAIN with the pauses!

I am going to try the Process Lasso mentioned above and if that doesn't do it then I will slick it and go back to XP - to hell with XP going dead in 3 years, it frickin' WORKS.  The extra memory above 4 GB will be wasted but maybe I won't have a system that freezes so much.  Either that or switch to Ubuntu and just use VMWare player on an XP VM to satisfy all my MS needs.

This issue seems too common, since it seems X64 specific there hasn't been to much hell raised about it.  I am betting the farm that the "fix" will be more $$$ and a copy of Windows 8.

Well sorry for not reporting back earlier.  I did a lot of diagnostics and tests on the laptop and came up with NOTHING in particular that was wrong.  I saw a few ideas here and elsewhere on the net and saw a LOT of references to problems with the Momentus hybrid drive I was using.  THis drive was VERY fast at first bu seemed slow on this system even when using XP, Win 7 X64 simply killed it, particularly when using Firefox - which was principally what I used on this laptop.  I bit the bullet and got a new 7200 RPM HD and reloaded the WIn 7 X64 OS for bout the fourth time.  This one seems to be taking although I did drop using the authentic Intel AHCI drivers in favor of the older Dell driver I used to set the unit up with.

It's been over a week and not ONE freeze up yet.  I use a Firefox and Thunderbird X64 build Called Waterfox and Mirimar just for the hell of it, I can't really justify using a "proper" X64 app but with Adobes X64 flash installed I can use most of the sites I typically peruse without too any issues.

So if you have this issue - stick with it, you may just find the bugger problem and avoid it too. I am now using it without issues - knock on wood!

Saturday, August 06, 2011 2:41 AM
  • That's great news.  Thanks for reporting back, Roootman.

-Noel

Saturday, August 06, 2011 4:17 PM
  • Hi Everyone,

I finally got my problem solved with Windows 7 freezing up on my HP G62(laptop) and it ended up being the Harddisk driver called amdsata.sys causing the constant freezing up where my HD light would simply get stuck on for 30-60 seconds at a time on every freeze up. The solution was to uninstall it and allow Microsoft windows to re-install it with standard Microsoft's Standard AHCI 1.0 serial ATA controller instead. My event viewer under system log was providing a WARNING message about amdsata with event id 129 indicating 'Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued'.

I found the solution @ http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/Random-Lockups/m-p/823497#M14892 but please note I still also had kept my power settings to MAXIMUM with the replacement of the driver as well which had came from this post. So basically the HP post and this post with the combination of keeping my power options to maximum and replacement of AHCI serial ATA controller driver resolved my issue.

Wayne

Thursday, August 18, 2011 12:34 PM
  • Several issues have started crashing my windoz7 install on a new, custom ASUS CrossHair IV Formula, 64bit system using ATI Radeon HD5700 and 12 GB 1333 Patriot RAM, on an AMD Thuron 2,8 GHz 6-core CPU, air-cooled with a 200W+ Thermal-coupled booster heat sink, in an Arvina GS-6400B seven-fan box. [I'm gun-shy with heat!]

Right after loading W7 SP1, the computer became V-E-R-Y SLOW, and I tried for two weeks to find a solution. Finally, I decided to completely wipe the HD, do a fresh, clean-HD format and W7 Install, and forget SP1, except, I had 200+ graphics apps, music authoring apps, and numerous system tools loaded, and months of installing behind it all.

So, I thought to just renew the original W7 setup, but the SP1 update nixed that, and a slip-streamed W7-SP1 install DVD is unable to renew a W7 SP1 system. Then I found a complete W7 SP1 ISO image on miserysoft servers, and that did allow a full system renew. AND, the SLOW issue disappeared!

Just before I installed the SP1 update, I had followed an advice to disable hardware acceleration for a frame capture technique I was learning, and the SP1 install then destroyed the access to the hardware acceleration feature I had used, making reversion from disabled hardware acceleration impossible. Or, something like that - miserysoft has so little documentation available for little people users it's pathetic!

Anyhew, shortly after renewing the W7 SP1 install with the combine ISO, the system started locking up at random, infrequent times, seemingly after I'd stopped user input for a period. The only solution has been hard rebooting. If I am using the computer all day, with just minutes in pauses, it does not lock up. I keep Firefox - there's another beef I have, with its uncontrollable updating! - running nearly 100% of the time, as I constantly refer to mail, searches, and other online material.

Looking for another solution, I bumped into this forum, and that piqued my interest to search for solutions. Amazing! There's tons of diagnostic tools to help!

The search I used . . .

https://encrypted.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=1528&bih=683&q=process+lasso+alternative&oq=Process+Lasso&aq=2&aqi=g10&aql=1&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=2610l2610l0l9061l1l1l0l0l0l0l211l211l2-1l1l0

Rendered . . .

http://alternativeto.net/software/process-lasso/reviews

http://alternativeto.net/software/process-lasso/

http://processhacker.sourceforge.net/

http://www.resplendence.com/main

http://alternativeto.net/software/mz-cpu-accelerator/

http://alternativeto.net/software/bill2s-process-manager/

And,

http://alternativeto.net/software/hameleon-task-manager/

I already use SysInternals Process Explorer, and keep Windoz Task Manager open, so maybe I'll catch the little bugger, or is it a rampant hive of misersoft rascals, all running wildly about Windoz Seven creating mischief and havoc everywhere they can?:-))

Thursday, August 18, 2011 5:26 PM
  • After analyzing dozens of posts on various boards, I have come to the conclusion that the freeze ups are not caused by hardware...just too many variables. This is a software conflict. One standard (common) software that is installed on all inflicted computers. Some examples (one or more of these are not 100% compatible with Windows 7 programming): Adobe Flash, Direct X, video and sound codecs, Java etc. Do you see the trend? These programs are all standards in Windows 7, and one or several activate when a user accesses the internet, plays games, looks at a film etc.   
    Saturday, August 27, 2011 11:55 AM
  • I agree, 3rd party software certainly has a role in this.

Also the more I know about display drivers, the more I think this one single component - supplied by the video card maker, whose prime goal is to sell video cards to gamers - has a big hand in browser (and indeed system) failures as well.  Consider that any app (e.g., IE9) dependent on GPU acceleration is calling on the implementation in the display driver in very complex ways.  Companies like nVidia, ATI, Intel, etc. who make these products are always in a HUGE rush to get their latest product on the market, lest the other company eat their lunch.  "HUGE rush" and "software quality" are polar opposites.  Thus video drivers almost always seem to be buggy in one way or another.

-Noel

Saturday, August 27, 2011 2:05 PM
  • I agree, 3rd party software certainly has a role in this.

Also the more I know about display drivers, the more I think this one single component - supplied by the video card maker, whose prime goal is to sell video cards to gamers - has a big hand in browser (and indeed system) failures as well.  Consider that any app (e.g., IE9) dependent on GPU acceleration is calling on the implementation in the display driver in very complex ways.  Companies like nVidia, ATI, Intel, etc. who make these products are always in a HUGE rush to get their latest product on the market, lest the other company eat their lunch.  "HUGE rush" and "software quality" are polar opposites.  Thus video drivers almost always seem to be buggy in one way or another.

-Noel

Noel,

You have possibly hit the Achilles Heel of all answers to this niggling  issue, that attacks all OSs, not merely the one from low lander Redmond, Washington. I researched for over a year to find and build a tight hardware and operating system box that would-could withstand any current hindrance to operation, and almost settled on Linux for the OS. But, even as Linux is the best OS by a measure of magnitude above 2, compared to ms offerings, it also suffers system failure relative to multimedia hardware and drivers, even more so than the ms operating solutions. Hardware is not connected by hard wire, except for the signal xmission system. Software makes interconnects for every component of a computer box, even if that algorithm is embedded in a chip. Therefore, when a mobo is created, its mfgr is concerned that its on-board hardware be optimized for interactivity and reasonably tight integration with the OSs that it will support, but, mobo mfgrs also face the enormous question of what multimedia devices will sit on top of their mobo and need to tightly integrate with its components, and the OSs that it is designed to support. 

I ended up with a default, non-overclocked, massively "overclockable" ASUS CrossHair IV Formula mobo, an ATI Radeon HD5700 video card, and 12 GB RAM run by a 6-core AMD Phenom II X6 1055T CPU. Windows Seven, rather than my original choice of Ubuntu Studio, and a super quiet case that is also super air-cooled with 7 fans, and a CPU/RAM heat sink and Active Electric Thermal Chiller that manages 200 watts of CPU heat easily. The ATI Radeon card has large cooling capacity, and eliminates one of my former system's main causes of hardware failure, video card overheat shutdown.

With the Redmond OS, however, integration with it and the mobo's multimedia chip's feature set continues to have driver issues. It, the VIA chip running Creative Labs' SoundBlaster audio, SupremeFX X-Fi, still does not configure with Windoz7 startup. Also, attempting to follow a suggestion for frame capture, I found and disabled Hardware Acceleration in Windoz7, pre Service Pack 1, which incidentally deprecated hardware acceleration for the ATI Radeon HD5700, and later installed Service Pack 1 for Winz7. That's when the system went into a severe overload of the CPU, as something in all this delicate interplay of integrated, over-lapping, and interacting software and hardware, especially in the multimedia sector, caused massive CPU loading to process an apparent offload of component hardware processing to the CPU.

Anyway, after about two weeks of searching for a solution, I was backing up all the working parts of my current build, to do a complete HD wipe, reformat, and new HD Winx7 install, when I discovered a ms-provided Winz7 SP! ISO file, and a handy mounting tool so that I could run the ISO directly from the HD, with Winz7 running, and thereby do a full Winx7 SP1 refresh. And, it worked! Well, almost.

Redmond's Winz7 SP1 does not integrate with the ASUS Crosshair IV Formula VIA chip implementation of SoundBlaster SupremeFX X-Fi audio effects. For Sound to work at all, every time Winz7 SP! starts, I need to manually initiate the VIA chip driver installation. Otherwise, there is no sound output. also, the main features of the SoundBlaster audio will not run with Winz7 SP!, where they ran fine with pre Windoz7 SP1.

I'd return to pre Winz7 SP1, but the security issues are a problem, and Redmond never seems to open their customer service doors to a completed, safe product, very not like Linux and AppleC's OSs' releases. I SO wish that AppleC and the Penguin teams would redefine microcomputer OSs, and take the leading role in this frustrating use of personal computing equipment! Redmond continues to falter in its role as a sucker's  trial ware OS producer. If, as I suspect, remote, distributed application servers replace this current state of discrete, single-box computing, we will all wish with all our might to return to this mess, because that one, remote application services, will so bind our computing experience that most of us will simply give up using computers. The frustration level is - will be simply too high.

Just give me a solid, dependable computer, and choices to add features and devices that function and integrate tightly with the core system. Is that impossible for today's so-called "sophisticated" computing component producers?

Really?

Saturday, August 27, 2011 4:34 PM
  • Just give me a solid, dependable computer, and choices to add features and devices that function and integrate tightly with the core system. Is that impossible for today's so-called "sophisticated" computing component producers?

Possibly not possible, at least not for a few thousand dollars.

Back when computers took the finances of a corporation to own, the vendor took responsibilty for everything, and even parked people on-site to maintain it.  Those days are gone; the economy of scale is not like that.

I've had pretty good luck with using mainstream designs by big names (I really like Dell's Precision Workstation line; my current system is a Precision T5400).  But one is still tasked with the minefield traversal-like process of getting just the right display driver version for the mix of hardware and software one uses.  And of course that always changes over time.

And if you aren't careful to review what's installed and running from time to time, the thing can get overwhelmed with software.  The other day I installed the stuff on the disc that came with a new LG BD-RE drive, and ended up with several dozen new services, programs starting at startup, shell extensions, and a host of other stuff that had nothing to do with writing discs.

-Noel

Saturday, August 27, 2011 6:17 PM
  • Redmond's Winz7 SP1 does not integrate with the ASUS Crosshair IV Formula VIA chip implementation of SoundBlaster SupremeFX X-Fi audio effects. For Sound to work at all, every time Winz7 SP! starts, I need to manually initiate the VIA chip driver installation. Otherwise, there is no sound output. also, the main features of the SoundBlaster audio will not run with Winz7 SP!, where they ran fine with pre Windoz7 SP1.

have you tried to add the program to the startuplist manually ?

i remeber having similar issues in the past wiht creative products and adding the driver file to the startup folder made it auto start on boot relieving the problem.

yes it should be automatically added on install and yes it should integrate but there are several other software drivers that have the same issues

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 9:08 AM
  • Your problem is with your HD.  10 bucks says you're using a "green" drive as your MBR drive. Another 10 says it's probably a WD.  It's functioning but needs to be replaced.  It's fine to use the existing HD as a storage drive, but not as your master boot record drive.

To fix this issue you're going to install a new drive, create a system image, and restore the system image to the new drive.
     •Go buy a non-"green" drive. Make sure it's at least as large as your existing MBR drive.
    •Using Windows Backup, create a system image.  When asked if you want to create a repair CD, select YES.
    •Copy the system image backup to an external drive or a thumb drive.
    •Install and connect the new HD.  It must be at least as large as the existing MBR drive causing the problems.
    •Insert the Windows repair CD you just created in your CD tray.
    •Power down the PC.  Disconnect all internal drives except the new drive.
    •Boot the PC and F-12 until you get a prompt.
    •Instruct it to boot from CD.
    •Once Windows is loaded, select Repair Your Computer.  You'll have an option to load drivers.  At this point drivers are probably not necessary.
    •Select System Image Recovery.
    •When completed, shut down and reconnect any other internal drives.
    •Reboot.  et Voila.  Problem gone.

Microsoft allows an image restore to a new drive as long as no other hardware's changed.  If you happen to replace your mobo at the same time, you're going to have a bad day -- change only the hard drive.  This is a Windows protection / anti-piracy thing and works well.

This issue drove me nuts for a couple weeks.  Seems it's particular to "green" drives and further, to WD green drives.  I slapped the culprit drive in my Drobo and haven't had any problems since.

I'm certain replacing your MBR drive will solve the problem.
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 5:04 PM
  • Same problems here, I fixed it changing the power settings as suggested above.
    Guglielmo
    Friday, November 04, 2011 2:15 PM
  • could be that your wireless modems are interfering with each other, or are interfering with your cable modem, and vice versa. can you separate your modems by a few feet or more.
    Saturday, November 05, 2011 1:06 PM
  • It is now November, 2011, and after yet more research to find a solution to the ASUS Crosshair IV Formula MoBo and its Port of the Creative Labs SoundBlaster X-Fi audio software to a proprietary VIA chip's drivers NOT loading during Windows 7 Pro 64 bit startup, I have had no success. The quote below pretty much spells the problem out - it's a failure of the manufacturer, in this case, ASUS Tek, Taiwan, to care enough about their own customers to keep their products' drivers current and in-sync with the OSs that run on their MoBos. The ONLY VIA chip audio driver available from ASUS Tek Crosshair IV Formula support is the original driver, dated in Novemeber, 2009! The rest of their drivers for this MoBo are regularly updated. I attempted to use their contact form page, to request attention to this issue, but the server repeatedly botched the submission action, so I've given up trying to contact ASUS. The suggestion that I add the driver to the startup procedure would be good, except that it is a two-step procedure, requiring further drivers to load after the VIA chip driver loads, and the SoundBlaster console is incompatible with Winz7 Pro SP1, which snarls the driver loading anyway. My only course now is to purchase a stand-alone audio card, and disable the same high definition audio services that the VIA chip provides. One major reason I selected the Crosshair IV was its 7.1 HD audio, so now I'm thinking of dumping ASUS as a MoBo supplier, and alerting others to avoid ASUS Tek products, since their driver support does not deliver. During my research into driver support, it became apparent that hardware mfgrs prefer to maintain support for popular products, and let lower quantity product support wane, since it affects fewer customers, and hence, draws less attention to their lack of support. I think Redmond's example in this may be a driving influence. Why lube a dry bearing when it is owned by fewer customers than dry bearings on products bought by a larger number of customers? A sad fact of mass production. No, a CASUALTY of same!

I agree, 3rd party software certainly has a role in this.

-Noel

Noel,

You have possibly hit the Achilles Heel of all answers to this niggling  issue, that attacks all OSs, not merely the one from low lander Redmond, Washington. I researched for over a year to find and build a tight hardware and operating system box that would-could withstand any current hindrance to operation, and almost settled on Linux for the OS. But, even as Linux is the best OS by a measure of magnitude above 2, compared to ms offerings, it also suffers system failure relative to multimedia hardware and drivers, even more so than the ms operating solutions. Hardware is not connected by hard wire, except for the signal xmission system. Software makes interconnects for every component of a computer box, even if that algorithm is embedded in a chip. Therefore, when a mobo is created, its mfgr is concerned that its on-board hardware be optimized for interactivity and reasonably tight integration with the OSs that it will support, but, mobo mfgrs also face the enormous question of what multimedia devices will sit on top of their mobo and need to tightly integrate with its components, and the OSs that it is designed to support. 

Redmond's Winz7 SP1 does not integrate with the ASUS Crosshair IV Formula VIA chip implementation of SoundBlaster SupremeFX X-Fi audio effects. For Sound to work at all, every time Winz7 SP! starts, I need to manually initiate the VIA chip driver installation. Otherwise, there is no sound output. also, the main features of the SoundBlaster audio will not run with Winz7 SP!, where they ran fine with pre Windoz7 SP1.

Saturday, November 05, 2011 4:39 PM
  • On one hand we can put together cheap systems because of interchangeable parts, mass production, etc.

On the other hand we have name brands that we would hope do a better job of supporting things into the future - though there is NEVER a guarantee, just past experience to go on.

Computer manufacturers really only claim compatibility with the software available at the time they built the hardware.

Personally, I buy high-end Dell Precision Workstations because Dell has shown in the past that they support these systems well into the future. I'm listening to Pandora right now using the on-motherboard audio, and this system (a Precision T5400) was originally designed for Vista. The latest BIOS update from Dell was not too many months ago.

-Noel

• Edited by Noel Carboni Saturday, November 05, 2011 7:56 PM
    Saturday, November 05, 2011 6:39 PM
  • I have noticed the same issue, but my issue seems to be isolated to the network applications. It seems whenever I am using IE, Firefox, Media Player, etc, only these network applications seem to freeze for 5 to 6 seconds. Sometimes it would happen for an interval for 30 seconds and than it won't happen for a minutes. I have scanned my computer for viruses, trojans and malware with Sophos, but have found nothing. I have also noticed that the HD light is pretty busy during these times when the computer freezes. I am streaming an radio station from the internet and that is how I can notice when things begin to freeze. I have another computer on the same LAN that is not having an issue, although I am running XP on that machine. Any direction with this issue will be appreciated. Thank,
    Tuesday, November 08, 2011 8:54 PM
  • Firefox is too powerfull for a lot of PC's, and it is one browser I dont use. Try Seamonkey I think you will find that you have less lag less problems. as for saftey, TBH - I dont see any difference, in any browser. other then more power usage and problems. FireFOx is only good for those who do programing and online work.
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 1:58 AM
  • The problem in my pc was with WIFI hardware.......try to disable WIFI Hardware from My Computer Propieters or from Keyboard Shortcuts if you have any........AND try with a dongle usb WIFI device to connect to internet.
    Thursday, July 04, 2013 11:15 AM
  • I am facing the same problem too. I am using Window 7-64bit. It freeze every 30 min for 1 min. Can anyone help me?

Thank you. 

Friday, September 13, 2013 2:04 AM
  • Thank you very much! THis stuff works. I actually downgraded the Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager to a previous version than the one installed on the system. It no longer freezes while using the web!

now in my native language (Portuguese):

Usuários, a orientação aqui resolve para travamentos temporários ou eternos ao se navegar na web. Fantástico!

Saturday, September 21, 2013 1:38 PM