none
Why does Windows Picture Viewer does not show animated GIFs?

Question

• I have noticed that in Windows 7, the Windows Picture viewer only displays the first frame of an animated GIF. Why is this? I can see the same picture animated in a web browser.
    Tuesday, June 01, 2010 12:06 AM

Answers

• Hi, this is by design. You can check the following link:

"Q: Why don't my animated GIF files animate in the Windows Vista Photo Gallery?

The Photo Gallery is designed for management of photos. The GIF format is not widely used for photos, but we included limited support for it due to the fact that some users have photos in this format. However, we did not implement the animation feature. You can use Internet Explorer to view your animated GIF files."

http://blogs.msdn.com/pix/pages/faq.aspx#q12

You can view the animated .gif files by opening it with Internet Explorer (IE).

Also, use third party software such as IRFANVIEW is another option.

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Tuesday, June 01, 2010 7:28 AM

All replies

• Hi, this is by design. You can check the following link:

"Q: Why don't my animated GIF files animate in the Windows Vista Photo Gallery?

The Photo Gallery is designed for management of photos. The GIF format is not widely used for photos, but we included limited support for it due to the fact that some users have photos in this format. However, we did not implement the animation feature. You can use Internet Explorer to view your animated GIF files."

http://blogs.msdn.com/pix/pages/faq.aspx#q12

You can view the animated .gif files by opening it with Internet Explorer (IE).

Also, use third party software such as IRFANVIEW is another option.

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Tuesday, June 01, 2010 7:28 AM
  • This is a nonsense design sir When windows xp fax viewer can play animated gifs natively
    Tuesday, August 03, 2010 1:09 PM
  • considering that gifs are the only animated picture file type I am going to go out on a limb and say for it, it is the ONLY option! The point is that is has been there for many many years and all of a sudden you decide for us that we no longer need it, it is not something for you to decide. it is not an upgrade if you remove features that the people have been using for years, it is a downgrade when you remove features. Like having to edit the registry now to change the default icon for a file type, what is with that? Give us back all the the features you removed!

I have had to download 3rd party software for almost everything! why even bother with the OS if I need 3rd party software to make it DO anything useful. Next time I am going with Unbutu. Responses like this are the last straw you people obviously don't care about what your customers want.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 4:17 AM
  • .apng (animated png) is another animated picture file type.

i do find it extremely stupid that pre-existing OS supported animated .gif just fine. I was even able to make one my desktop wallpaper, but now with 7, it becomes static?  yes the pixels are quite primitive compared to its more widely used .jpg and .png, but how is it not widely used? Honestly, It shouldn't be that hard to integrate functional .gif into windows 7, which has been working perfect for the past decade or so, and it's not all that time consuming. Why you even left it out in the first place fazes me into thinking that this is a brain-fart moment for the development staff, or whatever the technical title is.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 5:29 AM
  • They were going to make it a payware feature probably...

This is kind of close bye the way:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/About-Windows-DreamScene

And it does happen to be "ultimate exclusive".

Monday, June 13, 2011 6:24 PM
  • .apng (animated png) is another animated picture file type.

i do find it extremely stupid that pre-existing OS supported animated .gif just fine. I was even able to make one my desktop wallpaper, but now with 7, it becomes static?  yes the pixels are quite primitive compared to its more widely used .jpg and .png, but how is it not widely used? Honestly, It shouldn't be that hard to integrate functional .gif into windows 7, which has been working perfect for the past decade or so, and it's not all that time consuming. Why you even left it out in the first place fazes me into thinking that this is a brain-fart moment for the development staff, or whatever the technical title is.

I think that they screwed us in not continuing to use this very good program as I luckly still have itrunning on my Windows Xp Desktop computer and find it much better in veiwing pics and graphic gif images and if I want to use any of the other programs I can easily go to the program as I can right click preveiw and use the zome to enlarge and shrink the images and each image is in a better quality. Hope that they give us an option to install it for us who love this program and hope the one who decided to scap it has some bad Karma in their lives.
    Thursday, September 08, 2011 3:23 AM
  • This makes all your users very, very sad.  You don't understand how many animated .gifs I have, and how lame it is that I can't look through them like I can with the rest of my pictures.  Have you never seen a funny .gif before? It's really lame that Windows Photo Viewer can't do it, and just as lame that you can't embed them in Outlook anymore.  Does MS just not know how to have fun?
    Monday, September 19, 2011 11:49 PM
  • I also find it confusing as to why MS decided .GIF (or animated images of any extension) weren't being used much. No, they're not used in PHOTOS but they are used quite extensively on the INTERNET. Just because folks aren't using .GIF for photos doesn't mean they're not using .GIFs. I think just about everyone who does any 'net socializing has at least a few animated images in their folders. Most have lots. Web designers such as myself also have lots of animated images that aren't Flash.

Is it really so difficult to make a picture-viewer that shows animation? It was do-able in every other flavor of Windows before 7.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:26 PM
  • This is such obvious corporate CYA I can't believe you even attempted it. Not popular? When users of  Tumblr, Facebook, and LiveJournal frequently use animated reaction gifs in their posts. There are ENTIRE Tumblr accounts that are nothing BUT animated gifs. Either the development team who worked on "updating" the Windows picture viewer are so cut off from the rest of digital culture that they were unaware of this (and if so how the heck did they manage to become programers) or they simply accidentally deleted the function and nobody caught it before the release.

Well, there is that conspiracy theory about monetizing it in some way but my bet's on a slip up.

Now, just admit it and release a patch to fix it and let us get on with our cute cat gifs as god intended.

And I get that I can open a single gif in IE (if I happen to use IE, which I don't. I hate IE btw.) but I want to be able to view a slide show of my animated gifs. Window's picture viewer in XP did that. When your "new and improved" thing doesn't work as well as the thing it replaced that's really not good. If the trend continues then competitors will sense the weakness and we'll get a true competitor to MS and you guys will be wondering why your share value went down.

Saturday, September 15, 2012 2:40 PM
  • Strange, I was actually able to see animated Gifs in Windows Pictureviewer on a Windows 7 machine.

Until that is, i accidentally hit a key combination that stopped that function and now I can only see 

the first image. 

If I just could find the key combination to activate it again ...

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 2:41 AM
  • Check this out.

http://www.sevenforums.com/music-pictures-video/39095-animated-gifs-windows-photo-viewer.html#3

There is a link for the .exe and for the sourcecode to inspect it.

My virus softeware threw a fit about the file, but after decompiling on a virtual machine I can verify its harmless. After using it you need to goto

c:/windows/gif

and run the exe in compatibility mode for vista. but works perfectly in windows7 and windows8.

Hope you see this post one day, and I hope it helps others. I just couldn't accept that there was no way to do this.

• Proposed as answer by neumi Saturday, December 21, 2013 2:55 PM
    Sunday, May 12, 2013 7:46 AM
  • I totally agree with all the other comments.  I was originally excited about the Windows Movie Maker until I discovered I could not view my animated GIFS.  Obviously, for me and many others, this product is useless. This is the kind of thing (lack thereof) that drives customers away from Microsoft.
    Saturday, August 31, 2013 1:09 PM
  • Thank you so much, this worked for me! It sucks that now I have to use Windows Picture and Fax Viewer instead of the Windows Photo Viewer that opens when I choose "Preview", but at least I have a way to see the flippin' files that are on my computer! I made an account just to thank you, tysm!
    Saturday, December 21, 2013 2:58 PM
  • gif viewer small, fast, simple, works, provides basic functions that were removed for no reason

ingenious

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 6:23 AM
  • You can open *gif Images with Microsoft Windows Media Player (wmplayer.exe).
    Cool here is you can stop the animation and continue..

Friday, July 11, 2014 10:42 AM