none
Hangs at Verifying DMI pool data

Question

• I spent most of Saturday trying to install Windows 7, with a spectacular lack of success!

At first all seemed to be going well and I got the Win7 desktop and had a look at various bits. Then I changed the Workgroup name so that it would be on the same one as my other machines and I could copy some files across, that of course needed a restart.  The boot process got as far as 'verifying DMI pool data' and hung.

I tried installing it again, and that only got as far as the first restart and once again it hung at 'verifying DMI pool data'.

At this point I changed the hard disk and installed Win7 again, that got to the first restart and yet again it hung at 'verifying DMI pool data'.

I then installed XP Home on the same drive, getting the XP install to format the drive to remove any traces of Win7,  XP installed OK and had no problems with restarts. I then started the Win7 install from within XP, and once again it hung at 'verifying DMI pool data' on the first restart!!

Google came up with a wonderful array suggestions about what to do about PCs that hang with 'verifying DMI pool data', but none of them made any difference.

I've come to the conclusion that the problem lies with the Windows 7 installation. I've now fitted my original hard disk with my XP system on it back into the machine and the problem has disappeared.

Has anyone else had this?

The machine I've been trying to install Win7 on is a 3Ghz P4 with 3GB of RAM.

Sunday, January 18, 2009 4:27 PM

Answers

• Try & see if there is an update for your computer's BIOS. If there is, update your BIOS & try Win7 install again.
    Arie Slob, MVP, Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
    • Marked as answer by MicroDragon Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:17 PM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 1:07 AM

All replies

• Just asking, after you do the 1st restart, there is no need to keep DVD RAM as your 1st boot device, if you please try the installation once again, but this time, if you get stuck on the same place, please do set your HDD as the 1st boot device..

See if this helps..

Thanks.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 6:03 PM
  •  Thanks for the reply.

I've tried to install again, twice, and this time removing the DVD from the drive and setting the HDD as 1st boot device at the 1st reboot.  No change, it still hangs at Veryfing DMI Pool Data.  I've tried installing on two different drives and even burnt a second iso using a different DVD burner and software, but get the same result everytime.

I think I'll try downloading the iso file again, just in case the one I've got is corrupt somehow.

Monday, January 19, 2009 10:31 PM
  • Try & see if there is an update for your computer's BIOS. If there is, update your BIOS & try Win7 install again.
    Arie Slob, MVP, Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
    • Marked as answer by MicroDragon Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:17 PM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 1:07 AM
  • Hi Arie Slob.

Thanks for that suggestion. I updated the BIOS this evening and the Good News is that Windows 7 loaded and started OK.

The Bad News is the my Windows XP instalation now takes about four times as long to start and the blank screen was there for so long that at first I thought I'd trashed the PC!  But its' not a serious problem, besides which I'll be using the Win 7 installation for a while now anyway.

Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:25 PM
  • Did exactly the same things MicroDragon did. Found this post. Did the bios (which I thought was good) and worked lik a charm.
    Thanks Arie Slob
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 10:29 PM
  • im glad to see someone got it working, unfortunality i have the latest bios on my biostar TA690G so i guess im just going to have to wait untill they come out with another update to install window 7, since absolutely everything elese i can think of dosent work.
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 1:20 AM