none
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library -Runtime Error This application has requested that the program terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support tea

Question

• I searched the replies and do not see an answer to my specific problem. I get this error message ONLY when trying to create a DVD in my Nero 6 (NeroVision3) program using a DVD-R disc in my drive. I contacted Nero forum and sent the infotool.txt file requested and was told "The log text doesn't indicate a problem in Nero but general problems with the device with references to the Microsoft knowledge base. " So, now am asking this forum for help. (NOTE: I do not get this error when using anything else; have never received the error when creating DVDs in Nero before- but previously only used DVD+RW discs. This is the first time I have tried to create a dvd with a DVD-R disc.

(I want to use the DVD-R disc because I have a lot of copies to create and they are cheaper than the DVD+RW disc and you can't erase them.) 

The Nero infotool states that I can use DVD-R to create a disc (as well as DVD+RW and other types.))
    And, I have successfully created a DVD from another program (Real Player) using the DVD-R disc with no problem. I just have never used it to create a disc on Nero before.

This is the complete error:

Microsoft visual C++ Runtime Library - Runtime Error. (ProgramC\ProgramFiles\Ahead\NeroVision\NeroVision.exe. This application has requested that the program terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more info.)

I am using Windows XP Home Edition Ver 2002 SP3. Disk Drive: Matshita DVD -RAM-UJ 841S

Please help as I really need to finish my project using these discs and can't figure out the problem. Thanks for any help.
    mickpick
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 11:17 PM

All replies

• Try this and see if it helps, go here and download the visual C++  and save it to  the desktop, then close the browser and run the installer. see if installing again takes care of the problem
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9B2DA534-3E03-4391-8A4D-074B9F2BC1BF&displaylang=en#Requirements
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 11:27 PM
  • Hi securityguy14,
    I tried this (clicked on above link and downloaded the vcredist_x86.exe & saved it to my desktop, closed browser and then clicked on the icon and tried to run it), but it didn't work.

This is what happened:
    A window entitled Open File -Security Warning appeared asking if I wanted to run this file. I clicked on Run and another window opened asking "Which User Account do you want to use to run this program?" with 2 selections:

-- Current User (Toshiba-User\Owner with a checked box under it advising- Protect my computer from unauthorized program activity. (This option can prevent computer viruses from harming your computer or personal data, but selecting it might cause the program to function improperly.)

Or - - The following user with a little icon and if I click on that option a drop-down menu appears with the icon and Owner- but if I use this option, I need a password and I never have to use a password as I am the only user- so I can't provide one.

So, I checked the Current User (Toshiba-User\Owner) box.

Another window popped up - Extracting Files -> Verifying File vcredist_x86. Then another window popped up : Extraction Failed- Access is Denied. I tried it a few times - same thing happened.

So, any other suggestions, and if not, can I remove that vcredist_x86 icon from my desktop (By removing it from Control Panel, Add or Remove programs without any problems? Is there any other place I need to remove it? (I have been told that a new program, when added, goes into the Registry. But I have also been told, that I shouldn't do anything in the Registry since I am really only a novice at this.)

Thanks,
    mickpick
    PS- I am using a Toshiba M45 laptop.
    Monday, October 12, 2009 12:15 AM
  • something evidentlly has the permissions off on your pc, do you have an AV product installed? you might want to run a few scans even of you do, when I see permissions off like that thats the first thing I want to check. then download this Microsoft tool to reset the permissions, see if it let you run it, if it doesnt, try booting into safe mode into the default administrator account and try doing it from there. if you need some good resourses for scanners, ill add some links here http://www.freedrweb.com/   http://norman.com/support/support_tools/58732/en-us
    http://www.f-secure.com/en_US/security/security-center/easy-clean/     and here are a couple of online scanners
    http://onecare.live.com/site/en-US/default.htm   http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall7/   try those things and see what happens
    Monday, October 12, 2009 12:35 AM
  • Hi,
    I do have Norton AntiVirus and it runs daily and I just completed a system scan and it found no problems.

So, I went to the Microsoft tool and ran the command. Got the below error message.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>scedit/configure/cfg%windir%\repair\secsetup.inf
    /db secsetup.sdb/verbose

'scedit' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

I don't know how to "try booting into safe mode in the default administration account" as you suggest, for as I said, I am a novice. If I should do this, can you advise how?

Do you think I need to run any of the other scanners since Norton runs everyday and I just did the full scan? If so, will it run ok if I do have norton and won't interfere with norton running in the future?

And when I ran vcredist_x86, I did check in my list of programs to see if I had any earlier 2008 versions of it as the website suggests. I did not, but I did find this version:

Microsoft Visual C ++ 2005 ATL Update kb973923 - x86 8.0.50727.4053

Would that have interfered with vcredits_x86 and caused it not to run? If so, should I remove the 2005 version and run vcredits_x86 again?

If this is not a problem, can you answer this which I asked before:

can I remove that vcredist_x86 icon from my desktop (By removing it from Control Panel, Add or Remove programs without any problems? Is there any other place I need to remove it? (I have been told that a new program, when added, goes into the Registry. But I have also been told, that I shouldn't do anything in the Registry since I am really only a novice at this.)

Please let me know.
    Thanks,
    mickpick

Monday, October 12, 2009 3:32 AM
  • reboot your pc and time it starts booting up, right from the beginning, start tapping f8, at some point you get the advanced boot menu,, just choose "safe mode". when prompted choose no on the system restore, then boot into the default admin account, it will probably ask for a password, but unless ones been previosuly set up,, just hit enter. then run the installer from there and see if running it will run in the admin account. there, you shouldnt ( shouldnt) get the access denied message. as far as running the other scanners,, you should go ahead and run at least one of them to make sure that Nortons didnt miss anything, its real easy for any of them to do with todays malware. if you get the Microsoft tool to run successfully and run the scanner to where you know its clean then run the visual C++ installer while in safe mode also
    Monday, October 12, 2009 4:05 AM
  • Hi,
    Well, I successfully got into safe mode, but was unable to open up IE to get to the vcredist_x8.
    Your first response:(
    Try this and see if it helps, go here and download the visual C++  and save it to  the desktop, then close the browser and run the installer. see if installing again takes care of the problem
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9B2DA534-3E03-4391-8A4D-074B9F2BC1BF&displaylang=)

because the vccredist_x86 icon which I downloaded before and saved to my desktop, did not appear on my desktop safe mode. So, I assumed I needed to download it again and save it again, to the admin account, so I could run the installer.
    Your 3rd response: (then run the installer from there and see if running it will run in the admin account. there, you shouldnt ( shouldnt) get the access denied message.)

I was also going to download from the Microsoft Tool (your 2nd response) to reset the permissions. (NOTE- I just noticed this caveat though on the webpage for this tool. It states that it is NOT for Windows XP Home Edition- which is what I have. So, I shouldn't be using this tool, correct?)

This is what happened after I got into safe mode in admin acct.

First got an error message when trying to open IE:
    Windows Internet Explorer:
    This add-on can cause IE to stop or crash!
    The "Drive Letter Access Component" add-on version 1.0.01. published by(not verified) Sonic Solutions is not compatible with IE 8.  There were 3 choices to choose from:
    - Click online for update ]
    Forget the other one
    - Something like do not update - which is what I chose as I didn't want anything to crash.

IE came up but with an error message - Diagnostic Problem etc- and when I clicked on Next, got this: Windows cannot troubleshoot your network connection because an error has occured. Try again later.

I checked the diag tool (10/12/09) and error read:

error- failed with error 0x9007043c. This service cannot be started in safe mode
    Warning- Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com. This server name or address could not be resolved.

Isn;t there something else I can look at to check the permissions you think have been turned off? Isn't there something on my drive which would tell me whether it is set up to use a DVD-R? For that seems to be the only thing wrong- I can't write to a DVD-R. I can write to a DVD+RW in my drive.  Where can I find that info? (Again, the Nero program advises that I should be able to use a DVD-R disc in my drive and have the file write to it with no problem.)

mickpick

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 12:26 AM
  • securityguy14,
    If I can't be helped any longer with this, please reply to this question I asked before:

can I remove that vcredist_x86 icon from my desktop (By removing it from Control Panel, Add or Remove programs without any problems? Is there any other place I need to remove it? (I have been told that a new program, when added, goes into the Registry. But I have also been told, that I shouldn't do anything in the Registry since I am really only a novice at this.
    )
    Please reply.
    mickpick
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 3:51 PM
  • securityguy14,
    If I can't be helped any longer with this, please reply to this question I asked before:

can I remove that vcredist_x86 icon from my desktop (By removing it from Control Panel, Add or Remove programs without any problems? Is there any other place I need to remove it? (I have been told that a new program, when added, goes into the Registry. But I have also been told, that I shouldn't do anything in the Registry since I am really only a novice at this.
    )
    Please reply.
    mickpick

If by icon you mean the installer,, yes, as far as the reference you gave above about the microsoft tool to reset the security/permissions, if you go back and scroll down the page and read, the only thing it says for xp home, is that you have to use the tool, and not do it manually
      if you dont want to try what I listed before, you might want to try to uninstall then reinstall Nero.
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 4:04 PM
  • Securityguy I get same error message - MSFT Visual C++ Runtime error - with c\Program...1\mcafee\,sc\mcshell.exe 
    the application has requested the runtime to terminalte it in an unusual way please contact application support team.
    Running XP professional with latest fixes on.  That is my problem, this message started after latest fixes.
    tried running some register fixing software but so far cannot kick of Mcafee by clicking on icon.  It is running on startup ok but I cannot get in to mcafee suite to run update of custom scan parameteres etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I saw all the work you have done on the similar problem so I thought you may have some good insite into this type of problem.   Thanks dudetry
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 4:39 AM
  • Have you tried any of the things listed above? if not then first try uninstalling then re-installing the Mcafee, if that doesnt help then try downloading the installer and re-installing the Visual C++ Runtime Library. try those first and see if they work, then come back and let me know. and you'll have a better chance of a succesful install if you download them to your desktop and close out everything that isnt necessary first, expecially any security software you may have.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 4:56 AM
  • I was working on a computer which had W7HP 32 bit.
    I tried clean boot, advance cleanboot and Inplace upgrade as well bt it didnt work so finally i uninstalled all versions of
    visual C++  2005 and updates and after that
    I downloaded visual C++  2008 and then
    visual C++  2008 SP1 from
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A5C84275-3B97-4AB7-A40D-3802B2AF5FC2&displaylang=en
    and issue was resolved.

Thanks
    Nitin
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 8:02 PM