none
0xc000000f \windows\system32\winload.exe is missing or corrupt

Question

• Well the other day I started up my computer and File \windows\system32\winload.exe Status: 0xc000000f . Is either missing or corrupt poped up. This has most likely happened when I installed at&t software on my computer and something went wrong. I poped in my vista disk and clicked on the repair options and it tells me that this cannot be fixed automatically. Ive tried the repair multiple times and nothing will fix. So every time I boot up that same thing pops up about \windows\sysytem32\winload.exe. Im completely stuck and have no clue what to do. System Restore or Complete PC Restore cannot be used.Is there a certain command to type in the command prompt to resolve this issue. Comments would be greatly appreciated.

Derrick Bridges

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 6:27 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Currently, you may need to reinstall Windows Vista. If your computer is an OEM one, you can restore the system to its factory settings. If you do not know how to restore it to the factory settings, you can contact your computer manufacturer.

If you have important files on the computer, you can try a Parallel Install and then retrieve these files.

Parallel Install of Windows Vista
    =========================
    1. Start the computer by using the Windows Vista DVD. To do this, insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive, and then restart the computer.

Note: To start the computer from the Windows Vista DVD, the computer must be configured to start from the DVD drive. For more information about how to configure the computer to start from the DVD drive, see the documentation that is included with the computer, or contact the computer manufacturer.

2. When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on the screen, press a key.
    3. Follow the instructions that are displayed on the screen to type in the product key and accept the Licensing Agreement.
    4. Click Next and choose the Custom (Advanced) option.
    5. Select the system partition and click Next.
    6. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation.

After the new system is installed, you can boot into it and access your important files.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, June 13, 2008 5:24 AM

All replies

• Can you start up in safe mode?

Martin

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 7:55 PM
  • It wont start up in safe mode at all

Thursday, June 12, 2008 11:43 PM
  • If you start your computer up and keep pressing F8 until a new menu appears there will be a list click on Safe Mode.

If this doesn't work then you will have to reinstall vista and it should give you a option in the menu startup process somewhere that it will save your previous settings in windows old folder found in C drive or something like this. But if Safe Mode opens then create a new user in User Accounts (Just click the picture of your account in START Menu, re-boot and this should solve the problem if so don't forget to delete old user after saving your stuff to your new user 

Wakkie

Thursday, June 12, 2008 11:58 PM
  •  

Hi,

Have any changes been made on the computer recently, such as an installation or hardware change?

As you did a Complete PC Backup before, you can now refer to the following article to perform a Complete PC Restore.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial144.html

If you are unable to restore the system, you may need to reinstall Windows Vista and then perform a Complete PC Restore again.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, June 13, 2008 3:27 AM
  •  

The safe mode option is not happening at all when i try to start safe mode it will not start...but when i try to reinstall vista it goes half way through and either says there was a problem or restarts and the same error comes up. But i do have another drive other then C: its a recovery one from what see but not quite sure on that one.
    Friday, June 13, 2008 3:27 AM
  • I cannot do a  Complete PC Backup it will not let me. From rumors I hear Complete PC Backup can only be used on Vista Ultimate I have Home Premium.

Friday, June 13, 2008 3:35 AM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Currently, you may need to reinstall Windows Vista. If your computer is an OEM one, you can restore the system to its factory settings. If you do not know how to restore it to the factory settings, you can contact your computer manufacturer.

If you have important files on the computer, you can try a Parallel Install and then retrieve these files.

Parallel Install of Windows Vista
    =========================
    1. Start the computer by using the Windows Vista DVD. To do this, insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive, and then restart the computer.

Note: To start the computer from the Windows Vista DVD, the computer must be configured to start from the DVD drive. For more information about how to configure the computer to start from the DVD drive, see the documentation that is included with the computer, or contact the computer manufacturer.

2. When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on the screen, press a key.
    3. Follow the instructions that are displayed on the screen to type in the product key and accept the Licensing Agreement.
    4. Click Next and choose the Custom (Advanced) option.
    5. Select the system partition and click Next.
    6. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation.

After the new system is installed, you can boot into it and access your important files.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, June 13, 2008 5:24 AM
  • Hi, I've just had the same problem with windows 8.1.  How do I fix it because the only option that actually does anything is the "Press Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings" option.

Please help, as the laptop is only 5 months old!

Saturday, June 07, 2014 2:08 PM