none
USB ports have power but no data connection

Question

• Hello I have a HDX 16-1040 US HP, PORTS
    External Ports   	

* 5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, or xD Picture cards
        * 4 Universal Serial Bus USB 2.0
        * 1 VGA (15-pin)
        * 1 HDMI
        * 1 eSATA
        * 1 RJ -45 (LAN)
        * 2 headphone-out
        * 1 microphone-in
        * 1 notebook expansion port 3
        * 1 IEEE 1394 Firewire (4-pin)
        * 1 Consumer IR
    Product Number   	FS005UA#ABA
    Microprocessor 	2.26 GHz Intel Centrino 2 Processor Technology featuring Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P8400
    Microprocessor Cache 	3 MB L2 Cache
    I have tried the following flashing the bios, changing power plan to not control usb power. I REALLY NEED USB PORTS PLEASE HELP ME MICROSOFT I LOVE WINDOWS 7
    EDIT: the power on the usb ports work but data transfer does not.
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 4:00 AM

Answers

• Hi,

From the screenshot I find that the device is detected by the computer. The issue is related to the driver. The system cannot find a proper driver for the device.

I suggest that you follow the steps below to clear incorrect files in inf folder.

1. Click Start Menu, type "cmd" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box.
    2. Right-click the exe file and choose "run as administrator".
    3. Input the following commands in the DOS prompt window and press Enter at the end of each line:

cd\windows\inf
    ren oem*.inf *.old
    ren infcache.1 *.old

If the issue still occurs, please let me know what kind of USB devices cannot be used with this computer.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by newhen Wednesday, May 27, 2009 1:44 AM
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 7:28 AM
  • The issue can be caused by the USB controllers. Please follow the steps below to reload USB controllers.

1. Click "Start", type in Device Manager the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.
    2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".
    3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

If the issue persists, I suggest that you download the latest chipset driver and BIOS from the following website, and then install then in Windows 7 RC.

Software and drivers for HP HDX X16-1040US Premium Notebook PC

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Additionally, if you would like to restore to the OEM Windows Vista system, I recommend that you contact HP support for assistance.

Contact HP

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Friday, May 22, 2009 8:32 AM

All replies

• Add reply
    this is what the usb shows up as in device manager.
    Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2934
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 4:41 AM
  • Also I now can't use my hp backup drive to boot and restore vista.
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 5:44 AM
  • Anybody.. Don't know if bumping isn't allowed..

Thursday, May 21, 2009 1:44 PM
  • Double bump.I think I might have found a solution. Reinstall my HP oem vista and than install 7 over it trouble is I have to figure out how to get OEM partition active.
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 6:47 PM
  • The issue can be caused by the USB controllers. Please follow the steps below to reload USB controllers.

1. Click "Start", type in Device Manager the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.
    2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".
    3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

If the issue persists, I suggest that you download the latest chipset driver and BIOS from the following website, and then install then in Windows 7 RC.

Software and drivers for HP HDX X16-1040US Premium Notebook PC

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Additionally, if you would like to restore to the OEM Windows Vista system, I recommend that you contact HP support for assistance.

Contact HP

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Friday, May 22, 2009 8:32 AM
  • Wow this is getting annoying. I reinstalled all my usb controllers, no luck i get this when I plug in any usb device this case it was my iphone. http://imgur.com/5bktn.png.
    I need a fix for this I re installed the Intel drivers but it doesn't act like its installing anything it just goes straight to the finish page, yes I have tried compatibility mode. PLEASE HELP ME I am so desperate right now i;m going to have to install vista again. I just hate reinstalling os, I have done it three times now.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 4:07 AM
  • Hi,

From the screenshot I find that the device is detected by the computer. The issue is related to the driver. The system cannot find a proper driver for the device.

I suggest that you follow the steps below to clear incorrect files in inf folder.

1. Click Start Menu, type "cmd" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box.
    2. Right-click the exe file and choose "run as administrator".
    3. Input the following commands in the DOS prompt window and press Enter at the end of each line:

cd\windows\inf
    ren oem*.inf *.old
    ren infcache.1 *.old

If the issue still occurs, please let me know what kind of USB devices cannot be used with this computer.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by newhen Wednesday, May 27, 2009 1:44 AM
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 7:28 AM
  • I got this error when I did that
     C:\Windows\inf>ren oem*.inf *.old
    The system cannot find the file specified.

C:\Windows\inf>ren infcache.1 *.old
    The system cannot find the file specified.

C:\Windows\inf>
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 1:17 AM
  • Well pretty much everything is fixed now THANK YOU SO MUCH if there is anything you need let me know I can hook you up.
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 1:45 AM
  • Hello,

Could you share us the solution for this problem? Ive got the same problem...
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 12:31 PM
  • Perhaps I should be starting a new thread, pls advise if so.

I have exactly this issue on an HP desktop with Windows XP Pro SP2.

The USB have power but no data.

I have uninstalled the controllers and let the start up put them back.

I have run the rename scripts described above.

I have checked the condition of the usb controllers and hubs.

Also downloaded and installed an HP driver listed for external drives from their driver site.

The mouse does not work nor will a sandisk cruzer thumb drive auto-detect. In both cases their led lights up.

Any help much much appreciated.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 8:38 PM
  • I would think that the first thing to check would be the physical connections.  Make sure your USB ports are clean and don't have any dust, pet hair, or other stuff in them that could block a good connection.  Make sure they're securely installed and not loose.  

If you're comfortable putting your hands inside the computer, open up the box and check the connection between the ports and your motherboard.  A skewed plug at the motherboard was at fault when I had this problem:  the power pins were connected, but the data pins weren't.  I just straightened the plug up and made sure it was firmly connected, and the problem went away.

Much easier than removing and re-installing drivers one by one!

Saturday, August 27, 2011 9:29 PM