none
rdyboost.sys and msscntrs.dll (version?) issues

Question

• I've been experiencing slow startup and slow opening of programs for some time. Unfortunately, I'm not sure when it started. Using a dos-based approach, diagnostics points to issues with rdyboost.sys and msscntrs.dll

Commands:

1. . sfc /scannow

2.  . findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >c:\sfcdetails#.txt . (too make sense of #1)

I could attach the whole txt file, but the last few lines (below) appear to state it all. I've obviously reached my level of incompetence and would appreciate any help possible.

Thanks!

Elliot

Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"rdyboost.sys" of Microsoft-Windows-ReadyBoostDriver, Version = 6.1.7601.17514, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"msscntrs.dll" of WindowsSearchEngine, Version = 7.0.7601.17610, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"msscntrs.dll" of WindowsSearchEngine, Version = 7.0.7601.17610, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

This component was referenced by l:154{77}]"Package_1_for_KB2547666~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.0.2547666-2_neutral_GDR"

Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\Windows\System32"\[l:24{12}]"msscntrs.dll"; source file in store is also corrupted

Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"rdyboost.sys" of Microsoft-Windows-ReadyBoostDriver, Version = 6.1.7601.17514, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

This component was referenced by [l:242{121}]"Microsoft-Windows-Client-Features-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7601.17514.Microsoft-Windows-Client-Features-Update"

Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:62{31}]"\??\C:\Windows\System32\drivers"\[l:24{12}]"rdyboost.sys"; source file in store is also corrupted

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 12:35 AM

Answers

• Finally solved! I came across a program id'd for difficult issues with windows:  reimage. The automated version analyzes your system, checking file versions and corruption to assure that windows has only the correct files and so behaves properly.

The rdyboost.sys issue was resolved upon initial use of the program. This returned the superfetch/prefetch processes to operation. The boot time dropped from 5 to 2 minutes (and may be dropping further). However, the msscntrs.dll error remained when sfc /scannow was run.

The support crew at Reimage set up an appointment to work remotely to replace msscntrs.dll. It seemed to be non-trivial but was fun to follow on my computer. A reboot, followed by turning on the indexing and search functions restored a useful search system (i.e. fast and effective now - had been turned off when the rdyboost issues arose).

The resolution was not cheap ($70) but at least these problems are gone. Boot time and program opening are now OK.

I do not know how general this fix will be to others having sysmain/superfetch issues. There appears to be many win7 users who have never been able to resolve the issue. Reimage should definitely be considered for a fix. (BTW - it is money back if they can't fix the problem)

The only down side:  Their product works only for windows problems. Some programs might again become functional if the windowss problem was causing problems. But they, appropriately, provide no assurance that programs other than windows will be fixed.

Elliot

• Marked as answer by ehertz72 Thursday, December 08, 2011 9:09 PM
    Thursday, December 08, 2011 9:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you have another good copy of Windows 7, I suggest you could refer to the method mentioned in the following article to replace these files:

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

Also, you could use Windows 7 Installation DVD to perform an In-place Upgrade to fix this issue:

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:03 AM
  • Hi Alex,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been away so I haven't gotten to try things out yet. I should be able to try your suggestions within the next couple of days and will get back to you then.

Thanks!

Elliot

Sunday, October 16, 2011 4:45 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry about the confusion. I replied to this earlier - but my comments evidently did not get posted.

I've tried "sfc /scannow" (as described in my earlier posting) with no change in the output. I've also attempted in-place upgrade but have not had success, i.e. the install ends with a roll-back to the Win7 SP1 already in place. Attempts to start superfetch as a service failed and sfc /scannow showed no changes.

I've also rolled back SP1 to see if I'd have better luck with an in-place upgrade with win7 itself. These attempts also failed to complete installation. No change with starting superfetch or in the sfc analysis. Oddly, I was able to do an in-place upgrade with the SP1 downloaded from Windows Update. Unfortunately, there was no change in superfetch.

The bottom line appears to be that none of these approached has worked. I'm sorry that so much time elapsed leading you to close the case. But we are not "there" yet.

Any further suggestions?

Elliot

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 4:20 PM
  • Finally solved! I came across a program id'd for difficult issues with windows:  reimage. The automated version analyzes your system, checking file versions and corruption to assure that windows has only the correct files and so behaves properly.

The rdyboost.sys issue was resolved upon initial use of the program. This returned the superfetch/prefetch processes to operation. The boot time dropped from 5 to 2 minutes (and may be dropping further). However, the msscntrs.dll error remained when sfc /scannow was run.

The support crew at Reimage set up an appointment to work remotely to replace msscntrs.dll. It seemed to be non-trivial but was fun to follow on my computer. A reboot, followed by turning on the indexing and search functions restored a useful search system (i.e. fast and effective now - had been turned off when the rdyboost issues arose).

The resolution was not cheap ($70) but at least these problems are gone. Boot time and program opening are now OK.

I do not know how general this fix will be to others having sysmain/superfetch issues. There appears to be many win7 users who have never been able to resolve the issue. Reimage should definitely be considered for a fix. (BTW - it is money back if they can't fix the problem)

The only down side:  Their product works only for windows problems. Some programs might again become functional if the windowss problem was causing problems. But they, appropriately, provide no assurance that programs other than windows will be fixed.

Elliot

• Marked as answer by ehertz72 Thursday, December 08, 2011 9:09 PM
    Thursday, December 08, 2011 9:08 PM