none
Eclipse for new Windows 8 computer.

Question

• The Microsoft Answers community referred me to you.
    I just bought a new HP laptop with Windows 8. I am an amateur Java programmer (Took "Java 101"!) and up to now I have been coding basic private Java application programs using Eclipse 2.1 on Windows XP and am ready to download a new Eclipse editor. I presume I will also need to download the proper Java Runtime Environment (or maybe a JDK?). The question is what version for both of them. I don't necessarily need the latest, but those that are most compatible with Windows 8 and will download, install and run, hopefully without a glitch. I have read it will have to run in Window's desktop and that a 32 bit java is advisable (?).
    Would Eclipse Classic be the closest to what I had before? 
    To sum it up:
    Eclipse compatible with Windows 8: What version? 64-bit or is 32-bit advisable?
    JRE compatible with Eclipse and Windows 8: What version? 64-bit or 32-bit?
    I presume that Eclipse already has a JDK, so would there be any advantage in installing the Oracle JDK and if so, again, what version? 64-bit or 32-bit
    Johan
    jrbecb@comcast.net
    Friday, May 17, 2013 5:07 PM

Answers

• Just go to eclipse.org and download whatever recent version for Java development. The site will detect Windows and will automatically offer downloads for Windows. Several versions/flavors of Eclipse can be installed side by side, you can try all of them and keep what you like best.

And finally... Eclipse.org has their own forum, to which you are referred right now :)

-- pa

Friday, May 17, 2013 6:05 PM
  • Hi! I would first like to ask you what architecture of Windows 8 are you currently operating on? Secondly, why do you prefer Eclipse? Just curious; anyways, if you are looking to find out compatible versions of both for your operating platform then I suggest you first find out what architecture you have and then you would want to download that version for your Operating System. Oracle is good and I believe it would mesh well with the correct version of Java for your system- remember that you already have access to Java through your Control Panel so you should be able to find out what version of Java your system requires (I am running x64 version of Windows 8 and Java is x32). Here is a site you may want to check out and if you have anymore questions just respond back. P.S. - have you tried Visual Studio 2012 for Java?

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse/Installation/Older_Versions

We live to learn, We learn to develop, We develop to operate... o(._.)o

Friday, May 17, 2013 6:09 PM

All replies

• You could find detail about application compatibility status on:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/win8/CompatCenter/

Eclipse is compatible with Windows 8 and you could just install the latest version and in case of compatibility problems please report them to their developer team and let us know.

Friday, May 17, 2013 5:52 PM
  • Just go to eclipse.org and download whatever recent version for Java development. The site will detect Windows and will automatically offer downloads for Windows. Several versions/flavors of Eclipse can be installed side by side, you can try all of them and keep what you like best.

And finally... Eclipse.org has their own forum, to which you are referred right now :)

-- pa

Friday, May 17, 2013 6:05 PM
  • Hi! I would first like to ask you what architecture of Windows 8 are you currently operating on? Secondly, why do you prefer Eclipse? Just curious; anyways, if you are looking to find out compatible versions of both for your operating platform then I suggest you first find out what architecture you have and then you would want to download that version for your Operating System. Oracle is good and I believe it would mesh well with the correct version of Java for your system- remember that you already have access to Java through your Control Panel so you should be able to find out what version of Java your system requires (I am running x64 version of Windows 8 and Java is x32). Here is a site you may want to check out and if you have anymore questions just respond back. P.S. - have you tried Visual Studio 2012 for Java?

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse/Installation/Older_Versions

Friday, May 17, 2013 6:09 PM
  • Thanks, if worked fine.

Johan

Monday, June 03, 2013 4:32 PM
  • Hi!

Thanks for your help, I installed both the latest JDK and Eclipse Classic, x32, and they work fine! 

I am used to Eclipse and like it, but maybe I will have a look at Visual Studio 2012. I did not know there was a Java version.

Sorry for the slow response, but I was gone for a while.

Johan

Monday, June 03, 2013 4:42 PM
  • RudyBon,

Anytime friend! Remember those of us here in this community are here to help you around the clock- no matter what the issue is... if one of us can't solve it, another knowledgeable techy will step in and assist you with your problem. Thank you as well for considering my solution and feel free to post anytime here in the future- have a great one!

Wednesday, June 05, 2013 1:13 AM