none
Windows 8 metro freezes on startup

Question

• Hello,

I have a problem with Windows 8 when it boots. I've had the same problem on Consumer Preview, Release Preview and now on Windows 8 Pro. When I install the OS it works great for a week or so and then it suddenly freezes when loading my profile. To be more precise, metro freezes, sometimes I can see the tiles and sometimes I see only a background and it just hangs there. However, I can log out with CTRL-ALT-DEL and then log back in then QUICKLY go to desktop which works fine. But, then I see that it doesn't load all the applications it should on startup (for exampe, I use Microsoft Intellipoint that maps buttons on my trackball differently then default and it doesn't load so all my buttons revert to default, etc). From desktop, when I try to move cursor on corners of my screen, nothing happens, settings bar won't appear, metro "button" won't appear, it's just dead.

Does anyone have any idea about this? Nothing is installed new, one day I just wake up and this happens. However, I noticed few times that my NVIDIA graphic card crashed and recovered, could this be the issue? If it is, reinstalling the drivers didn't solve it...

Thank in advance, this is getting really frustrating.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 11:23 AM

All replies

• Check event viewer and check what is happening during the date and time that this problem happen.

Did you installed your graphic card or does it install from Windows Update or was in Windows by default?

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 4:56 PM
  • My Microsoft profile seems to be the problem since I don't have a problem on other Microsoft account. I'm using another one to check if the same thing will happen again.
    Tuesday, December 04, 2012 9:13 AM
  • Through your description

Your previous Microsoft account is the main reason of your problem

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 9:32 AM