none
An error has occurred. Not all of the features were successfully changed!

Question

• hi,
    I'm a new user of Vista and when I try to install the IIS7.0 in windows features I got a erro message : An error has occurred. Not all of the features were successfully changed.
    I'v never install IIS before and I have to update it to run ASP for my work. I found somebody who have the same problem but nobody have solution. My OS is Vista Business.

Monday, February 11, 2008 5:00 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Noah,

Sorry for the confusion my last post caused. I forgot you cannot run Inetmgr command to open IIS console.

Based on further research, I found the WAS(Windows Process Activation Service) feature package is the dependent package for the IIS feature package. If un-installation of either IIS or WAS is interrupted in between, it might leave WAS in corrupted state. If that is the case, after that no matter how many times we try installing IIS, we would continue to get the error as above because we would be trying to install IIS over a corrupted WAS infrastructure.

This is may occur if the WAS component is corrupted. Uninstalling the corrupted WAS before attempting the reinstall of IIS should be helpful for this issue.

Suggestions
    1) Uninstall WAS (Windows Process Activation Service) - Uncheck the whole subtree view for the parent node "Windows Process Activation Service" and below
    2) Uninstall IIS
    3) Reinstall IIS

Additional resource
    Here are some resources that will help you when you run into issues with IIS 7.0 Setup again:

<http://www.iis.net/default.aspx?tabid=7&subtabid=74>
    <http://support.microsoft.com/?id=930911>
    <http://support.microsoft.com/?id=931199>

If the issue persists, please send the latest IIS 7.0 installation log file (Iis7.log) to me at: SCEDATA@microsoft.com  and include the following text.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2825744&SiteID=17
    Robbin Meng – MSFT

Sincerely,
    Robbin Meng
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, February 14, 2008 4:02 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Noah,

This issue may occurs because a duplicate Internet Server API (ISAPI) filter is detected when you try to install the ASP.NET feature. When you upgrade the computer to Windows Vista, the IIS metabase is migrated to Windows Vista. This step also installs the renamed ISAPI filter When the .NET Framework 1.1 is installed, the installation program registers a duplicate ISAPI filter. In IIS 7.0, try to install the ASP.NET feature. When you try to install the ASP.NET feature, the ASP.NET installation file (Aspnetca.exe) detects the duplicate ISAPI filter we discussed before. Therefore, the installation fails.

To resolve this issue, follow these steps:

1. To start IIS Manager, click Start, type Inetmgr in the Start Search box, and then click Inetmgr in the Programs list.

2. Expand the local computer node, double-click ISAPI Filters, and then remove all the ASP.NET filters that are listed.

3. Reinstall the ASP.NET feature of IIS 7.0 by using the Turn Windows Features On or Off wizard.

See more in KB929772:

Error message when you try to install the ASP.NET feature in IIS 7.0: "An error has occurred"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929772/en-us

Thanks and hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Robbin Meng

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 7:54 AM
  • Hi,

I'm puzzled of your solution. Since I can't install the IIS7.0 how do I start IIS Manager? By following your steps I can't search Inetmgr.

I'v read KB929772 but it's seem no help. I'v never instell the WAS and the WAS has never been checked on the subtree of Windows Features On or Off wizard.

There must be something else.

Noah R

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 10:02 AM
  •  

Hi Noah,

Sorry for the confusion my last post caused. I forgot you cannot run Inetmgr command to open IIS console.

Based on further research, I found the WAS(Windows Process Activation Service) feature package is the dependent package for the IIS feature package. If un-installation of either IIS or WAS is interrupted in between, it might leave WAS in corrupted state. If that is the case, after that no matter how many times we try installing IIS, we would continue to get the error as above because we would be trying to install IIS over a corrupted WAS infrastructure.

This is may occur if the WAS component is corrupted. Uninstalling the corrupted WAS before attempting the reinstall of IIS should be helpful for this issue.

Suggestions
    1) Uninstall WAS (Windows Process Activation Service) - Uncheck the whole subtree view for the parent node "Windows Process Activation Service" and below
    2) Uninstall IIS
    3) Reinstall IIS

Additional resource
    Here are some resources that will help you when you run into issues with IIS 7.0 Setup again:

<http://www.iis.net/default.aspx?tabid=7&subtabid=74>
    <http://support.microsoft.com/?id=930911>
    <http://support.microsoft.com/?id=931199>

If the issue persists, please send the latest IIS 7.0 installation log file (Iis7.log) to me at: SCEDATA@microsoft.com  and include the following text.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2825744&SiteID=17
    Robbin Meng – MSFT

Sincerely,
    Robbin Meng

Thursday, February 14, 2008 4:02 AM

• Hi Noah,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Sincerely,
    Robbin Meng

Monday, February 18, 2008 8:35 AM
  • was having the same problem, same FAIL message in the iis7.log, except InetMgr wasnt showing any Isapi Filters to delete.

i'm assuming this is because i rolled back from VS 2008 to VS 2005, for a certain SDK that doesnt run on 2008 yet.

anyway, i had to go into the applicationHost.config and delete an isapiFilter listed there ... then ASP.NET installed fine through turning Vista features on/off.

Thanks,

casey

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 6:35 PM
  • Hi Casey,

Thanks for your feedback and sharing.

Regards,

Robbin

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 2:33 AM
  • I am working with a computer that never had IIS to begin with. I have VS.Net 2005 and 2008 installed. This problem does not occur for installing IIS alone. I also tried installing only the Telnet Client and got the same message after about 20 minutes. I went ahead and looked for where I would uninstall WAS only to find that it had never been installed before.

I have searched for the IIS7.log, but the search results turned up nothing.
    Monday, March 17, 2008 6:36 AM
  • I have been searching the forums on this problem for months, the suggestions in this forum are the same in many and every time many users are left without resolution.  Here is My situation and what I have tried to resolve the problem:

Vista Ultimate 32bit, originally had VS 2005, MSSQL 2005 and .NET 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 beta installed when I got this error trying to install IIS 7. I have tried the following:

1) Ran install as administrator
    2) Turned off UAC
    3) Figured out how to activate the hard to find Vista Ultimate admin account, log in as that and tried it
    4) Uninstall VS 2005, MSSQL, .NET (all interations) and tried
    5) Remove DFS
    6) Remove WPAS

I also dont have IIS7.log available, and the computer error log doesnt show anything except a similar worded error to the pop-up.
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 6:09 AM
  • Hi,

Although the same IIS 7.0 installation issue, the failure root cause may vary because of every individual computer may receive different error message based on particular software environment.

Therefore, please open a new thread for your issue. Also, please double check for the IIS 7.0 installation log, it should be located under C:\Winodws directory.

Thanks and Regards.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 2:46 AM
  • Yeah, I disagree.  He has the same exact symptoms as I had when I first started out with this problem.  There is no IIS7 log file on my entire computer.  This problem is on forums all over the net, and none of the experts seem to have an answer. 

The windows system log shows a series of the following errors:
    Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of setting package ______ into Installed(Installed) state

where ______ is each individual component of IIS7.
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 7:15 AM
  • I have the same problem as all these guys above. But not only with the installation of iis7 , no , with ALL features of Windows Vista. I just cannot remove or add a vista feature at all.

I've digged trough the eventlogger but I can only see the message that is listed here before, 'Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of setting package ______ into Installed(Installed) state'.

I have Vista business in Dutch, visual studio 2008, office 2007, sql express 2005

Really really need some help fast because I need iis for developing a new project and a clean install is out of the question.

Kind Regards

David

Thursday, April 03, 2008 12:43 PM
  • Anyone have any new information/solution/suggestion on this problem? Whenever I try to install or uninstall any Windows Feature I get "An error has occurred. Not all of the features were successfully changed". and nothing is installed or uninstalled. I tried installing Windows Process Activation (which is not currently installed) with the same result. I even just install SP1 hoping that it might solve the problem. It did not. I am running vista Ultimate 32-Bit SP1 with all updates (including language packs).

Greg

Saturday, April 26, 2008 8:08 PM
  • I'm having the same problem, and I really wish that someone could figure out what the root of the problem is. I just got this PC and am running Ultimate; however, I didn't have this problem of installing Windows Features until I installed some updates. I wonder if the problem lies in one of those? This thread could really use a support technician from Microsoft. This issue is way too important to overlook. 

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 8:26 PM
  •  

I have solved this problem, for myself anyways, and I hope this does the trick for you too.  BTW my problem is the same as yours only my OS is Vista Ultimate.  Problem:  The Administrator account (or role - also not sure if this works for accounts other than Administrator) does not have enough privileges.  To change:  Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy -> Local Policies -> User Rights Assignment --> (now I enter into unknown territory as I am not a Windows Vista guru) - add "Administrator" to all security settings for each policy that appears to be relevant (if that does not work - keep adding).  Keep a list and remove privileges later so as not to inadvertently expose your machine to security risks.  Also in that past I had had issues with the ASP.NET account which does require certain privileges for ASP.NET to function under IIS in Windows Server 2003 (perhaps the same for Vista too?) - somewhere on the Internet is a list of these privileges required by this account -- "Search and you shall find". 

Probably many who have participated in this thread (or are just reading) - you just want to get done what you need to get done and move on.  However the reasons behind this solution are not entirely clear to me and at present I do not have time to delve deeply to discover why this works and not knowing is --- irritating(!)  If someone can shed some light on this --- please share!  Thanks.

Sunday, July 20, 2008 2:38 AM
  • MildEpiphany's solution did not appear to work for me.  However, I was able to resolve this issue in another way.  I determined that for me it was due to having too many language packs installed, and the solution was to uninstall them.  Please see my write up for details: http://aaronwl.com/research/cs/os/windows/bugs/vista_features_fail.htm

Sunday, July 27, 2008 5:29 PM
  • Thanks Aaron

I had been trying to install Windows 2008 Remote administration tools, but kept failing.

This is the solution for me! Follow The details steps in the link. It took 10 minutes per language to uninstall them. Then a tense hour as it rebooted and said it was confiuring updates - I wondered if it was re-installing the languages! Now I can add/remove features and my machine seems generally faster.

What I am wondering about now is when were all the language packs installed? My WSUS server is configured for only English updates.

But thanks again Aaron

Derek

Monday, October 13, 2008 9:53 AM
  • For those of you who have tried everything in this forum, and in 20 other forums, with no luck... here was the solution that worked for me.

I have Windows Vista Ultimate and could not install IIS 7 with the error listed above.  I went to the error log on the system and found that it was the multi language version of IIS 7 that was erroring out.  At the time I had Chinese, Korean and Japanese installed as well.  I uninstalled every language pack except English (restarting after each one) and then tried to install IIS 7 and it worked.  Afterward I installed the languages again.

Note:  This is after I had tried ALL of the permissions issue related work-arounds.  I suggest trying those first before trying my solution.
    • Proposed as answer by glombus Monday, April 25, 2011 6:26 PM
    Monday, October 13, 2008 6:32 PM
  • A follow on to this. My laptop is now performing so much better. It had become very slow because of this language pack problem. SO check your system do you have any unrequired language packs. If so remove them!

Derek

Monday, October 20, 2008 9:30 AM
  • I am having exactly the listed problem with all of the listed symptoms. I have no additional language pack installed. Has anyone come up with another solution?

Monday, December 08, 2008 1:31 AM
  • Does anyone have a solution to this problem?
    My story so far:
    Vista Ultimate x64 (not upgrade), with Users folder on a separate partition, was successfully running IIS a week ago (it was installed in October).  The system partition was damaged and restored from a backup created in August (before IIS was installed).  After applying all MS Updates (issued between August and December) IIS would not install (error message:  An error has occurred.  Not all of the features were successfully changed.).  I started looking for the solutions online (MS articles and forums), tried many of these with the following results:
    1.  Uninstall IIS and WPAS then reinstall WPAS and IIS.
    Couldn't uninstall IIS as it wasn't present.  After uninstalling WPAS, I can't install it again - I'm getting the above error message.
    Tried also uninstalling/installing with command line pkgmgr tool as advised in an MS article - uninstall successful, installation with no success.
    Lead by some comments regarding the issue being related to all features, not only IIS, I tried to install Telnet Client - with success.
    2.  Startup Recovery.
    It doesn't work - error message:  No issue found (or something like this).
    3.  Uninstalling language packs
    I have only English and Polish installed, with English being default system language.  Tried to uninstall Polish, but it doesn't seem to be possible.  Error message:  All selected language files failed to be removed.
    From Windows Help:
    There are two reasons why this might occur:
    • The language you are trying to remove is the system language. The system language is the default language of the user interface. The system language cannot be removed.

• To work properly, other languages on your computer require the language you are trying to remove. This is the case with Language Pack Interface (LIP) languages and their parent languages. You must remove a LIP before or at the same time that you remove its parent languages.

Clearly there must be a third reason...

My pending.xml file is in place, there are no isapi filters in my applicationHost.config file.  Any suggestions highly appreciated.
    Possible leads:  do IIS/WPAS create something in the Users folder that may prevent them from re-installing?  This is the only place where files were not replaced by restoring the backup.  Also, MS Updates issued between October and December could have made a difference.
    FAILS from my IIS7.log:

[12/14/2008 04:04:57] [ ***** IIS 7.0 Component Based Setup ***** ]
    [12/14/2008 04:04:57] "C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\iissetup.exe" /install SharedLibraries
    [12/14/2008 04:04:57] < !!FAIL!! > Failed to acquire the NetFrameworkConfigurationKey key container context (result=0x8009000b)
    [12/14/2008 04:04:57] < !!FAIL!! > Install of component SharedLibraries result=0x8009000b
    [12/14/2008 04:04:57] < !!FAIL!! > COMPONENT::ExecuteCommand result=0x8009000b
    [12/14/2008 04:04:57] [ End of IIS 7.0 Component Based Setup ]

Sunday, December 14, 2008 5:42 AM
  • Similar situation here and it's January 2009.

I have Vista Ultimate, pre-installed on a new Dell XPS M1530.

I try to activate IIS and get the error message that everybody else is getting.

I read that this means I need to do a reinstall of Vista, so I tried to reinstall from the Dell disk.

Everything was going fine with the install and then it suddenly gave me a Blue Screen error.

On reboots, I am now prompted with Windows Setup and Vista (i.e. my original install). I can get to the previous instance of Vista and work on my laptop. However, if I again try to install IIS I am getting the same error message that others in this thread have received.

I am considering killing Vista and just reformatting the hard drive and installing XP on this laptop. We are MSDN subscribers so it's not that tough to do.

This was a test case for my firm on setting up a development environment on Vista. So far, Vista gets an F grade.

If there is any solution to the problem, please post it ASAP. I am willing to spend two more (precious) days trying to fix this problem.
    Wednesday, January 07, 2009 3:03 PM
  •   

Robbin Meng - MSFT said:

Suggestions
    2) Uninstall IIS
    3) Reinstall IIS

This worked beautifully for me - I had the issue because I installed Microsoft Expressions Web 2 and then uninstalled.  After this, IIS stopped working (the IIS screen under "Computer Management>Services and Applications" was blank even though IIS under the 'Windows Features' screen was checked) - but following the procedure above fixed the problem.

Live for Life
    Wednesday, January 07, 2009 11:20 PM
  • I called Microsoft support and a long session with the tech fixed this problem. Details here:

http://www.gaebler.com/Problems-Installing-Windows-Features-on-Microsoft-Vista-Ultimate.htm

It was a long diagnostic process that ultimately was resolved with a Vista Ultimate reinstall. None of the solutions proposed above resolved this issue for me -- only a reinstall (i.e. an in-place update).

Good luck to others experiencing this frustrating issue!
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 6:09 PM
  • I would like to add an update to this.

I recieved a Motion Computing Tablet PC on the 9/04/09 as a demo unit that I was to use to show some clients some software that we use. All that I had done with this PC was copy some exe, dll and xml files that our software uses. This software also required .NET framework 3.5. I installed this software and my application worked perfectly. Over the easter weekend the laptop updated itself with whatever the Microsoft critical updates were, I know that .NET Framework SP1 was one of the updates. We use another application that requires IIS to be installed. I tried installing IIS on the Tuesday and received the dreaded "an error has occurred. not all the features were successfully changed" error message after 20 minutes. As .NET Framework was the only thing that I installed I tried uninstalling and restarting - to no avale. I reinstalled .NET framework 3.5 and tried looking at language packs etc. There were NO additional language packs installed and Windows Process Activation Service was not installed. The only option I had left was a clean install but the computer doesn't come with any DVD's so I thought I would try a System Restore to the first point when I turned the system on.

After doing a system restore I was able to install IIS. I gather that the problem was caused by one of the Windows Updates or .NET Framework. Either way it is a terrible problem that I find astonishing Microsoft have not fixed yet.

Thought I would share my thoughts. I may try installing one update at a time and see what causes it to error out.

Cheers
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:03 AM
  • dear i had same problem this problem i think is related with c:/windows rights coz if u see at security tab rights for files for not as full control so that is why this error comming .... i was useing web server for php so i shifted my self to apache and php / mysql if u want to do the same then go to www.apache.org and follow the instruction they are very simple ......

thanks

navin

• Proposed as answer by noor_lucky Tuesday, July 27, 2010 6:26 AM
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 6:26 AM
  • You should try this:

http://forums.iis.net/p/1174328/1967812.aspx#1967812

This is how I was able to solve the issue.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Abdullah

• Proposed as answer by Vijay2008 Tuesday, June 28, 2011 2:27 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Vijay2008 Tuesday, June 28, 2011 2:27 PM
    Friday, January 14, 2011 7:38 PM
  • Turning on IIS7 feature on Windows 7 Enterprise repeatedly threw the same error 'An error has occurred...".  This thread helped me realize that IIS7 is dependent on WAS feature (Windows Process Activation Service).  Why can't Windows 7 build this dependency like other dependencies it builts to other features of Windows 7.  I lost 3 days in the process and no where has this answer been mentioned for the kind of scenario I experienced. Thanks Robbin Meng.  Even Visual Studio 2010 is not smart enough to suggest a solution to this when installing Windows Azure Tools.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 2:33 PM
  • Try installing in windows "safe mode"
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 6:19 AM
  • Hi Robbin Meng,

I too faced this problem for long time.

Thanks very much for your solution. it worked well.I had IIS installation issue. as you said, I did uninstall WAS and install IIS and then Installed IIS on Vista Home premium. It worked fine.

Gudos

Muthukumar,

UK

Saturday, March 17, 2012 10:42 PM
  • Yes! Two days of googling.

Thanks for your post.

Monday, May 20, 2013 5:27 PM
  • So, my scenario was trying to run ColdFusion 32-bit mode on my 64-bit Windows 7 machine while accessing an MS Access 2007 database system dsn. My system would crash intermittently and caused me days of being held up by OS issues.

The problem arose with the IIS 6 compatability mode with IIS 7 and I believe the .NET structure with ColdFusion 9.0.0. This is the windows feature that was causing my system to crash.

My solution:

If you need to reinstall IIS follow these steps and they worked for me,

1. Uninstall ColdFusion

2. Turn off and shut down all IIS services.

3. Uninstall/deselect in Turn Windows Features On or Off, in this order (and I am still not quite sure if this was totally correct but, it worked)
     -Web Mngmt Tools - IIS 6 Mngmt Compatibility
     -Windows Process Activation service
     -IIS - World Wide Web Services - Application Devlopment Features
     -Microsoft .NET Framework (mine was 3.5.1)
     -Internet Information Services Hostable Web Core
     -IIS

4. Rename your "%windows folder%\System32\inetsrv" folder "inetsrv_old" or whatever you like.

5. Rename your "c:\inetpub" folder to "inetpub_old" or whatever you like.

(I didn't reboot my PC but I think you could at this point if you want)

6. Reinstall in this order (It is very important that you turn on each feature one at a time, otherwise it will give you the same error):
     -IIS 7 with default features.
     -Internet Information Services Hostable Web Core
     -Microsoft .NET Framework (mine was 3.5.1)
     -Windows Process Activation service
     -IIS - World Wide Web Services - Application Devlopment Features -ASP.NET (which selects ISAPI features, etc.)

7. Then i copied my websites from my wwwroot folder back to the newly created inetpub folder.

8. Run Windows Update

9. Re-setup your system DSN (if need be)

10. Then I reinstalled ColdFusion 9.0.2 32-bit. This was key as the patch fixes the IIS 6 compatibility issue by not requiring that option anymore. So do not reinstall IIS6 compatibilty mode because you will not need it with patch 9.0.2.

I am posting this in hopes to help all the web developers out there that run into this same scenario.

Friday, November 29, 2013 3:09 AM