Windows 7 overheating my HP laptop...

Question

• I have a problem with my HP TX2510US 2.1GHz AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core Notebook ever since loading Windows7.  I LOVE the new software, but have found that it is causing my laptop to run very hot and if I am doing anything major on it I risk it overheating and turning off.  I have read some blogs about this, but have yet to find anything that would help me to fix this problem.  Can anyone give me any pointers on how to fix this?  I am computer literate, but may need a little extra guidance if it involves going into BIOS settings, etc.  I really miss my laptop... PLEASE HELP!!!
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 7:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Jesse,

Are you sure there is adequate airflow for the notebook?  Make sure it's setting on a flat surface, with nothing clogging the vents.  Ensure that any vents and fans and heat sinks are free of dust - consider blowing them off with compressed air (power the system down first, of course).  Are the any BIOS settings for the temperature settings, set lower than the manufacturer recommendations or defaults (you would need to check your notebook manual for this).  Also ensure you're running the latest BIOS version (again, your notebook manual would have the details; the manufacturer's website should also have this information). 
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Friday, November 06, 2009 10:13 AM
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 2:02 AM
  • Please download and install the recently released HP Windows 7 Drivers for Pavilion tx2510us , including the BIOS update dated 08-2009.
    Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 11:00 PM
  • I wanted to provide an update to everyone from the problem I posted on 12/10/2009. 

I could not figure out how to use xperf that No.Compromise suggested, so I finally gave up, formatted the hard drive and installed a clean Windows 7 OS.  Everything works beautifully now.  CPU hovers near 2% utilization when idle.

My dv9000 does not overheat at all now.
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 3:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Jesse,

Are you sure there is adequate airflow for the notebook?  Make sure it's setting on a flat surface, with nothing clogging the vents.  Ensure that any vents and fans and heat sinks are free of dust - consider blowing them off with compressed air (power the system down first, of course).  Are the any BIOS settings for the temperature settings, set lower than the manufacturer recommendations or defaults (you would need to check your notebook manual for this).  Also ensure you're running the latest BIOS version (again, your notebook manual would have the details; the manufacturer's website should also have this information). 
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 2:02 AM
  • Compromise,

I have looked to see if there was any dust issues or clogging but it doesn't seem to be the case.  The laptop ran very well with no issues while running Vista... it is only when I upgraded the laptop to Windows7 that the overheating issue started.  I have looked at many forums and tried cleaning the fans... which didn't seem to help, I have changed the power settings to power saver... which has dropped the temperature a little but the unit still runs around 150-175F when hardly taxed, prior to that I purchased a laptop cooling station... which allowed me to actually run the laptop for more than 30 mins without it powering off.  I have also looked on the HP website and tried to update my BIOS for Windows7 (which on the site states is a BIOS setting that is used for Vista as well), but I cannot get the update to run on my laptop (gives me a error message... which I intend to contact HP about to discuss).  I am still looking for more options, but after these listed... I haven't found much else out there.  Thank you for your reply... if you think of anything else I can try, I would appreciate any feedback.  thanks again.

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 4:36 PM
  • Please download and install the recently released HP Windows 7 Drivers for Pavilion tx2510us , including the BIOS update dated 08-2009.
    Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 11:00 PM
  • I HAVE TRIED TO DOWNLOAD THE LATEST BIOS UPGRADE OFF OF THE HP WEBSITE... AND I ALWAYS GET AN ERROR MESSAGE WHICH WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO INSTALL... STILL HAVING SOME ISSUES EVEN THOUGH I HAVE GOTTEN THE TEMP TO COME DOWN A BIT BY CHANGING THE POWER SETTINGS.
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 1:19 AM
  • What is the error message you encounter?
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 3:53 PM
  • hey.. i dont have a solution but i can say i am having the same problem. i have a DV4-1365dx.... 2.0 intel core 2 duo..

like you i have some heating problems but not nearly as bad. For me i have noticed that since installing windows 7 my fan will run constantly. and for good reason. its hot inside. I never had this problem with vista. while running vista it stayed mostly cool and unless i was maxing out the system like converting movies or something the fan hardly ever came on. its trully odd. Some thing i am truly interested in fixing besides... running the fan so much is killing my battery life, even in power saver mode...  

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 3:01 AM
  • So i updated my bios as suggested above. It changed from the f30 to f55.

first impressions..

boot up time has dropped considerably. normaly it would read from the hdd for a long while (1-2minutes)  after the desktop has appeared, which in turn, somehow, even with core 2 duo and 4gb ram cripples the whole computer.  This time it booted up and was instantly useable. Major improvement.

As for the fan.. its at a dull roar (low) right now.. will update after further observation.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 3:27 AM
  • I have the same issue, I had windows xp and as soon as I installed Windows 7, I started having overheating issues, I tried reinstalling XP and it works fine but its just Windows 7 that is causing issues and even after installing all the drivers, it is still overheating like crazy, please suggest a solution......
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 9:48 AM
  • I have the same problem with my Hp Pavilion dv8000 laptop.  Windows xp media center worked fine, windows 7 RC worked fine, now with windows 7 retail it shuts off when I watch netflix or any video for too long.  I never had a problem before windows 7 retail.  I think the amd turion runs really hot, and windows 7 uses more of the processor so it overheats more and the windows 7 auto-shutdown feature shuts it down when it reaches 96 degrees Celsius.  
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 5:58 PM
  • Just wanted to add my experience as being very similar to many above. I have an HP dv3 and now (after upgrading) the fan is almost constantly running on high - the fan has always been somewhat annoyingly high on this laptop but now it is constant. When I run task manager I seem to have a lot of cpu usage (50-60%) that isn't represented by any of the listed processes. I should also point out that I hear little tics when playing music on windows media player that remind me of what would happen before using a dual core. (I haven't tried the bios update yet.)
    Friday, November 27, 2009 3:47 PM
  • Try the BIOS update, as it has apparently helped someone with a similar issue.  Alternatively, consider disabling SpeedStep/PowerNow! in the BIOS, to see if that has an impact on things.  Also consider the aforementioned suggestions.
    Friday, November 27, 2009 11:36 PM
  • I have an HP Pavilion dv6700.  I downloaded Windows 7 a couple of weeks ago and have had this overheating/fan problem, as well as driver problems.  I would like to go to the HP website to download the new drivers, however, THE DRIVERS ARENT UP FOR THIS MODEL PAVILION.   Is it ok if I download the drivers from another model, specifically the recently released HP Windows 7 Drivers for Pavilion tx2510us   as recommended by Carey?  Or will that get me in even more trouble?  Thanks! 
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 5:55 AM
  • I have an HP Pavillion dv9000t with Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2ghz, 4gb ram.  I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 from Vista Ultimate 64.  I really like Windows 7 compared to Vista.  When my notebook first starts, everything works great.  After boot up and at idle, CPU utilization hovers around 0-2%.  After the computer is on for a while, CPU Utilization start creeping up and hovers around 35-40% and the fan is constantly running.

If I reboot, everything goes back to normal for a while.  This is REALLY frustrating.

I tried downloading more current drivers.  Since HP says they are NOT supporting Windows 7 for this model notebook, I cannot find any drivers or BIOS upgrades on the HP web site.  I was able to find new Windows 7 drivers for:
      * Intel Wireless 4965AGN
      * Realtek High Definition Audio
      * Intel Matrix Storage Manager
      * nVidia GeForce 8600M GS

After I installed the nVidia driver, the system was way WORSE.  I started at 20% CPU utilization, growing >40% Utilization.  I uninstalled the nVidia driver and now I'm back to normal at boot-up, deteriorating to much higher CPU utilization.

So, HP if you're listening, please update your web site and offer Windows 7 support!!!

Any insight this community has to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, December 10, 2009 1:28 AM
  • Hi fcasteve,

Can you use any of the various tools (Task Manager, Resource Monitor, Process Explorer) to determine what process is responsible for CPU consumption?  
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 11:41 AM
  • Sorry, I should have posted that.  I've used all 3 apps.  Task Manager and Resource Monitor point to:
        SYSTEM - NT Kernal & System

Process Explorer points to:
        SYSTEM

Thursday, December 10, 2009 1:16 PM
  • The system process houses the kernel and driver code, and system threads.  If it consumes significant CPU, you can use xperf to try to get more information. 

If you're running Win 7 x64, run the following from an elevated CMD prompt, and reboot:
      reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" -v DisablePagingExecutive -d 0x1 -t REG_DWORD -f 

Then, get the Windows Performance Toolkit 4.6 from the Windows 7 RTM SDK .  Run the web installer and choose to install Win32 Development Tools. 

Once the Windows Performance Toolkit is installed open an elevated CMD prompt change to the folder containing xperf.exe and execute:
     xperf -on DiagEasy+PROFILE  -stackwalk Profile 

Then, just after reproducing the problem, run:
     xperf –d merged.etl  

Then, ZIP merged.etl and password protect it.  Upload the ZIP file somewhere, and share the location either publicly or privately.  Share the password privately.  (My email address is in my profile.)

Friday, December 11, 2009 3:27 AM
  • Thanks, I'll work on this now.  It will probably be at least 24 hours before I can create the file and share it.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 12:37 PM
  • I have noticed that a lot of heat is generated by my wireless (intel pro 2200bg network connection)and I have been keeping it disabled
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 12:29 PM
  • You might try posting your question to the HP notebook experts in the HP Notebook Support Forum.
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 4:50 PM
  • I tried this command:
      xperf -on DiagEasy+PROFILE  -stackwalk Profile 

and it returns this error:
      xperf: error: NT Kernel Logger: Invalid flags. (0x3ec)

Sunday, December 13, 2009 3:21 PM
  • You need to run the command in an elevated CMD prompt.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 11:44 PM
  • I have the same issue with my notebook. the HP website does not have windows 7 support so i downlooaded the windows vista 32 bit update instid. and it updated my Bios. and now i dont have the overheat problem.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 8:47 AM
  • I have a Gateway laptop mx6956 and a Hp laptop AMD chipset 2 1/2 years old, sorry don't have the model number right now.  I installed Windows 7 beta on both, only  months apart.  I did all updates including bios.  Neither computer fan would run except during boot up.  I really did not notice it at first because I am not the primary user.  The Hp lasted about 4 months, worked great but no fan, then fried the motherboard.  The Gateway worked great even though the fan never ran after start up for maybe an hour.  Then it would freeze, no errors its would just be busy.  You could not close anything but the mouse would move.  Letting it set and cool a couple of minutes or rebooting would make it come alive for a while.

I thought the motherboard controlled the fan....guess not.  Windows7 Beta for my two laptop computers caused no fan at all.

The Gateway is working fine now with its original XP factory setup. (fan runs often at various speeds)

The Hp was not so lucky....its not at the dump yet because it is so hard to say good bye.

THANKS goes Windows 7 for for cooking my chipset.  Software issues/conflicts are to be expected and to me fun to solve but this cost me MONEY!!!!

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 4:59 PM
  • those hp tx tablets have overheating problems. all of them.....

i bought one a while ago, the tx2108 with the nvidia chipset and video card with svideo out. it overheated many times and had to be sent back to repair 3 times.

2 friends of mine have the same issues with different models running ati video cards. if you google around you will know what i mean. the nvidia problems affected alot of other laptops not just hp's. but the overall build quality for the hp tx series is poor.

you can outlive the warranty on the system by ensuring that it has latest bios, drivers, is always set to balanced power, use a laptop fan stand, etc but imo it will not stop the inevitable truth that the system will overheat and eventually crash. first to go is usually the wifi cus its between the video and cpu heatsinks.

use the tools from cpuid.com to monitor the system heat, or anything else and run a burn in test on the system. you will probably notice that the heat goes to 90c or higher as mine used to and crash around the 100 mark.

my system based on my 24/7 usage of it used to last approx 3-6 months between repairs. i got my money back and bought a toshiba, but thats just me.

sorry for the long rant, previously unhappy hp tx owner.
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 12:52 PM
  • I've seen a video where the laptop burst into flames...don't know what model... I am sure they have worked that one out but take care. :)
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:54 PM
  • Hey Jesse, I'm having the same problem, but my laptop is an Acer Aspire 5100 with Turion 64 x2 1.6GHz Dual-Core processor.
    Some of our friends here in this forum reported that the CPU goes over 70% unexpectedly while overheated. I discovered that the CPU is over 70% because the processor slows down it's clock to avoid damage, so the user thinks that the CPU is overused by some unknown process.
    I think it's happening because the motherboard components doesn't recognise the new power management features of Windows 7.
    Let's look for our manufacturer to see if they have some new BIOS to help us solve this problem.
    Best regards!
    Rogerio Silva .::. MCSE / MCT - CompuNext
    Friday, February 05, 2010 1:29 AM
  • I have found exac
    tly the same thing but I am using a sony vaio laptop
    After a few minutes use it gets very hot in the area of the CPU and the fan is on at a high level blowing out hot air
    Its as if there is some CPU activity even though no major applications are running
    Monday, February 08, 2010 9:27 PM
  • Hi Nigel!
    I think that is a good thing to alert everyone to the fact that the computer slows down the performance because the processor's clock lowers down also. Use CPU-Z tool (http://www.cpuid.com) and you'll see it happening.
    In my laptop, the clock stays at 1.6GHz (default to High Power Power Management profile) and suddenly it slows down to something around 800MHz. Another strange behaviour is that my laptop's cooler doesn't speed-up.
    I'm believing that it has something to do with new "System cooling policy (Active/Passive)" present on Windows 7.
    Let's hope that Microsoft discover out and solve this problem together with our computer manufacturers.
    Have a nice week!
    Rogerio Silva .::. MCSE / MCT - CompuNext
    Monday, February 08, 2010 11:55 PM
  • I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem. I got 7 after sooooo many problems with Vista on an HP dv9925nr laptop. HP told me they WOULD be developing drivers for this model a minimum of 3 times. Now they are telling me no new BIOS or chipset updates!!???

I have a AMD Turion 64x2 TL-60 @ghz with 4gb of RAM. It seems to happen most often with Media and transfer of files in the background. My chief concern is degradation of the graphics card which did happen in Vista but I never had the crashes. About 90% of which have been caused by over-heating with no warning coming whatsoever. Even internal temp monitors don't give you fair warning.

Any fixes out there I don't know about??
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:09 PM
  • Wish I could offer a more useful answer. Just be patient with HP updates may happen.

Meanwhile systematically vary the settings, remove drivers , try compatability mode and tick the box for updates for other products on you microsoft updates page. (I have been offered lenovo updates for my machine from time to time )

If you find a device is overheating or crashing your system try disabling it for a while to see if the overall performance benefits. Good luck!
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 1:30 AM
  • I have the same exact problem, but I found a solution(not a true fix, but it keeps my laptop from overheating). 
    In Control panel > system and Security > power options:

Click Change plan settings, then click Change advanced power settings.  Expand Processor power management, then expand Maximum processor state.  Change those settings to 85%.  Press OK.

The temperature is now on average 10degrees celcius cooler, and my computer doesn't overheat anymore.  I don't notice a drop in performance either.

I have a dv800 with an amd turion ml-40 w/ windows media center xp 2005.  Upgraded to Windows 7 RC, it works great, to went to Windows 7 Home Premium, After watching video online(pr0n + Hulu) or messing with anything that uses alot of system resource, my pc would overheat.  I came to the conclusion windows 7 uses more of the cpu which causes higher temps, and since amd turions run hot in the first place, this it run that much hotter, which puts my cpu at an overheating risk, according to win 7.  My cpu was going upto 96 celcius, now it tops out at 85.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 1:11 AM
  • Well its not a microsoft problem its hp and lack of protection on board...specifically video card
    Hp is being sued california court system for heat problem..you tube search for hp pavillion heat and repair yourself lol...its $150us in kissimee florida. HP wants 300.00 up front no promises....SO HERES THE SHOCKER...HP WONT EVEN ADMIT THEY HAVE HEAT PROBLEMS...my dv9200cto crashed and burned monday....shipping to florida today....backup your complete computer gentlemen....use a heat pad....better yet my freind in IT in maine says buy a server and a cheap net book. So its kissimee before or after...nobody warned me...my family owns fourHP products....all of them overheat....in fact my heat problem was first diagnosed by time warner....i was dropping off rr all the time on dv9000. ms support has bent over backwards to get this dv8000 cto up and running...as soon as i get 9000 back this ones going to florida......wheres the audio drivers hp....wind 7 been around for long time...

CATON
    POST THIS AS COMMON SENSE SOLUTION THANK YOU.
    http://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/13250/
    http://rebootit.biz/

Saturday, March 13, 2010 6:33 AM
  • I wanted to provide an update to everyone from the problem I posted on 12/10/2009. 

I could not figure out how to use xperf that No.Compromise suggested, so I finally gave up, formatted the hard drive and installed a clean Windows 7 OS.  Everything works beautifully now.  CPU hovers near 2% utilization when idle.

My dv9000 does not overheat at all now.
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 3:58 AM
  • My HP Pavilion Entertainment PC still shuts down and I did a clean install.  I'm trying to install updates now, and I'll see what happens now, but Vista worked fine, and 7 shuts the computer down after generating intense heat while trying to burn anything to disk, transfering large files, or anything that would normally task the system.  I've tried many of the solutions requested above and so far none worked.  I'll keep you posted on the progress.
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 6:20 PM
  • Thx Maiop, Your suggestion to change the CPU Maximum Power to 85% absolutely fixed my overheating problem!  My HP dv4z was shutting down every 15 minutes. Now it stays on indefinitely. Kudos!
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 8:06 AM
  • The system should be able to be used to its fullest without overheating.  If all cooling mechanisms are functioning correctly and if there is adequate airflow and ventilation, and the room temperature is appropriate, and if the hardware is functioning properly and is being run in spec (none of these should be difficult to attain), the system should be able to be used without worry. If a system is experiencing overheating, check the above; if the behavior continues, contact the system manufacturer.

Limiting the CPU is a workaround, but what happens when that's not enough? Does the 85% become 75%, then 65%....? 

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 10:29 AM
  • How is it not a microsoft problem if the exact same thing is happening only to people who have upgraded from a previous windows operating system to windows 7 and everyone has a different manufacturer of machine?
    Saturday, December 11, 2010 2:01 AM
  • Thanks for this not sure if it is a fix as i need to know do i keep my system cooling policy as active or passive?
    Saturday, December 11, 2010 2:03 AM
  • I am running windows 7 on a HP Compaq 6730b.  A short time after booting up, a SVCHOST process starts running when the Microsoft Update service kicks in.  This SVCHOST process drives one core of the dual core CPU to 100% and keeps it there continuously.  This over heats the CPU and the fan is turned hard on.  The fan noise is really annoying and the CPU is driven to 75 degree C constantly. The only way that I am able to stop this heating is to terminate the SVCHOST service by using the "end process tree" command in the Windows Task Manager.  It is easy to identify as it is the task in the process tab that is hogging the maximum CPU time.  When I terminate the SVCHOSt process the Windows Update notification dissapears and the processor immediately cools down.  Can anyone help me discover why the Windows update service is causing this problem and what I can do to sort it out?

Thursday, August 11, 2011 1:16 PM
    Carey Frisch
    Hey jesse i don't know my current BIOS or my new ones i don't even know my version please help its 64 bit like the only 64 bit types it got updated In Future Shop becuase it got reported and fixed for over heating and it only help to make the heating less hott'er but it still over heats please i need help please
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 4:09 AM
  • Hi,

If your HP Laptop overheating process continues, despite changing the location of the room, then there is probably something wrong with processor’s fan. The fan keeps blowing air on to the processor and motherboard which in turn helps the system stay comparatively cool. In case the fan stops working or does not work as efficiently as it is supposed to – you must get it checked and then get it replaced. Usually fans are damaged because too much lint and dust stores within the computer which causes your HP laptop overheating problems.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 4:53 AM