none
Win7 install failures OSImage file and error code Ox8007045D

Question

• I have made multiple unsuccessful attempts to do a clean install on a brand new hard drive in an older machine that runs Win2k on a separate hard drive. 

As suggested in other posted "solutions", I have burned multiple DVD's on two different burners, at various, (slower) speeds.  I even purchased a brand new internal burner.  I have since verified that the DVD's are good.  They have all the files, all the data is there.  But all installation attempts fail in one of two ways...

First, I have removed the older HD with Win2k O.S.  I am booting from the DVD drive.  Windows files load fine, and I get to the dialog screen where I can select language, time, and keyboard or input method.  Click Next.  Click Install Now.  Setup is starting...  After about five minutes, I get the error screen, "Windows could not collect information for [OSImage] since the specified image file (install.wim) does not exsit.

At this point, I can cycle the DVD drive drawer and the install process will drop back to the screen where I clicked Install Now.  Click Install Now.  Setup is starting...  this time the process will continue to copying files, then expanding files.  The next error always happens at 98% finished with expanding files.  Error code Ox8007045D.  "Cannot install required files.  Make sure all files are available."

That last error is a show stopper.  Nothing to do but start all over again.  And fail again.

Anyone else have this happen?  Any ideas on what to try next?

Saturday, January 31, 2009 12:35 AM

Answers

•   The last thing you try usually works!

So who knows what the real problem was?

But I am in now! 

If it helps anyone else, here's what I encountered along the way to a successful installation;  (this is in addition to everything else I mentioned in earlier posts)

I pulled everything off the expansion bus that was not absolutely needed.  No network adapter, no nothing.  Just a video card.  Maybe this helped, or maybe it was a waste of time.  Although the Win7 setup did seem to go faster after the unnecessary items were removed.

I also pulled one odd stick of RAM out of the machine, leaving only 1 GB, but that third stick was an oddball.  It was from a different maker, and even though it was working fine in the Win2K environment, I read someone else's post that "dodgy" RAM might cause problems.  So out it came.

After these changes, the install would always progress all the way thru to the first reboot.  The original issues with "...'install.wim' does not exist...", and error code Ox8007045D were resolved.  I do believe flashing the latest version of BIOS was the solution to those problems.  In fact the latest BIOS specifically stated that it would accommodate 48-bit LBA HDD.  That's a necessity for HDD's with over 137 GB capacity.

The problem now was with the first reboot during setup.  The only way I could get the machine to boot from the DVD drive initially was to put it at the top of the boot device list in the BIOS setup.  Otherwise it was completely ignored at boot-up.  But with the DVD drive in position one, on first reboot, the system would see the DVD in the drive and start a new install over top of the first.  If I removed the DVD during the first reboot, I would get a message telling me to press any key to reboot.  But that would only bring back to the same "press any key" message again and again.

The final solution was to intervene during the first reboot and reshuffle the boot device list in the BIOS setup, moving the hard drive to the top of the boot device list.  From that point the installation and set up went without a hitch.

Now I am to reinstall the extra RAM, then the network card, and see if the system remains stable.

Knock wood, I can now get on with the business of beta-testing Win7!
    Sunday, February 01, 2009 12:28 AM

All replies

• BTW...

I just found that the BIOS on my old ASUS A7V133-C motherboard has a BIOS upgrade that would support 48-bit LBA on the HDD.

Perhaps I should flash the BIOS, and then give it one more try?

I'm new at this, so please speak up if I'm chasing the wrong tail here...

Saturday, January 31, 2009 12:51 AM
  • You are on the right track.  If your system is that old, you definitly have to update the BIOS.

What is the size of your hard drive and how much memory do you have installed?  If it is an older machine running Windows 2000 (I assume OEM), you will definitly have to have about 1GB to get any kind of performance.

Good luck and let all of us know how it turns out.
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 6:11 AM
  • The machine is one I put together from components, sometime around 2001 or early 2002.

It has an Asus mb #A7V133-C, with VIA VT8363A (Apollo KT133A) chipset.

1.5 GB RAM, 1G CPU.  The hard drive I am installing to is new, 160 GB capacity.  (PATA, by the way)

Since my earlier post, I did go ahead and flash the latest version of BIOS.  It made a difference.  Unfortunately, it only kicked the problem further down the road.  The install proceeded through the file expansion and the first reboot. 

Then it errors,

"Windows could not finish configuring the system. To attempt to resume configuration, restart the computer."

Rebooting only brings us back to the same error message.  Stangely, when I move the mouse at this point, (to click the O.K. button) the cursor is very jerky on the screen.  It even disappears briefly as it moves.  Earlier in the install process the cursor movement is normal.  That's got to be a BIOS issue, right?

Other trivial details...

I had the USB mouse plugged into the PS-2 port via an adapter.  This was to free up a USB port from my thumb drive.  Trying a fresh install now with the mouse in the USB port, no adapter.

There is a CD drive installed in the machine.  Also, a modem card, (not currently used), a wireless network adapter, (Uh-oh, that is up and running, and it is capable of connecting to my wireless network) and a multi-media card.  Perhaps I should try pulling out all the unused hardware to simplify the initial setup?  I'm thinking that network card might be another source of conflict at initial setup.  Hadn't thought about that until just now.

... I'll sure let you know if anything changes.

Saturday, January 31, 2009 3:56 PM
  •   The last thing you try usually works!

So who knows what the real problem was?

But I am in now! 

If it helps anyone else, here's what I encountered along the way to a successful installation;  (this is in addition to everything else I mentioned in earlier posts)

I pulled everything off the expansion bus that was not absolutely needed.  No network adapter, no nothing.  Just a video card.  Maybe this helped, or maybe it was a waste of time.  Although the Win7 setup did seem to go faster after the unnecessary items were removed.

I also pulled one odd stick of RAM out of the machine, leaving only 1 GB, but that third stick was an oddball.  It was from a different maker, and even though it was working fine in the Win2K environment, I read someone else's post that "dodgy" RAM might cause problems.  So out it came.

After these changes, the install would always progress all the way thru to the first reboot.  The original issues with "...'install.wim' does not exist...", and error code Ox8007045D were resolved.  I do believe flashing the latest version of BIOS was the solution to those problems.  In fact the latest BIOS specifically stated that it would accommodate 48-bit LBA HDD.  That's a necessity for HDD's with over 137 GB capacity.

The problem now was with the first reboot during setup.  The only way I could get the machine to boot from the DVD drive initially was to put it at the top of the boot device list in the BIOS setup.  Otherwise it was completely ignored at boot-up.  But with the DVD drive in position one, on first reboot, the system would see the DVD in the drive and start a new install over top of the first.  If I removed the DVD during the first reboot, I would get a message telling me to press any key to reboot.  But that would only bring back to the same "press any key" message again and again.

The final solution was to intervene during the first reboot and reshuffle the boot device list in the BIOS setup, moving the hard drive to the top of the boot device list.  From that point the installation and set up went without a hitch.

Now I am to reinstall the extra RAM, then the network card, and see if the system remains stable.

Knock wood, I can now get on with the business of beta-testing Win7!
    Sunday, February 01, 2009 12:28 AM
  •  

Congratulations.  You are well on the way as you seem to be a methodical person who practices good troubleshooting skills.

Keep us informed as to what you find and experience.  Don’t forget to the Send Feedback feature so that MS is aware of your findings and opinions.

Sunday, February 01, 2009 1:03 AM