none
Taskbar - disable Thumbnails with Aero?

Question

• I prefer to have my taskbar without thumbnails because it makes it easier for me to find the window I need.

This is what I want (with Aero disabled):

And this is what I get:

Is there a way to do this without disabling Aero?

thanks!
    Friday, November 27, 2009 9:23 AM

Answers

• OK, thanks.

I think the best workaround is to turn off Aero until they fix this.
    • Marked as answer by laktak Wednesday, December 02, 2009 7:59 AM
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 7:59 AM

All replies

• Hi IChris

You can set the hover time to a long value so that preview will pop up lately.

Open Regedit by the use of RUN command or start menu search go to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

there right click on right pane  Create a new DWORD called ExtendedUIHoverTime and set the decimal value to 20000 (say about 15 to 18 seconds) or more value of your wish.(right click and select modify)
    for that much of seconds preview  will not pop up..
    so by hopefully turned off.

But i am not able to find out if mouse hover the icon , it has to display only names as in your first picture,
      I just gave a idea  about disabling previews. you can set the task bar buttons to combine when full or never combine.

hope it helps

Nikhil
    • Proposed as answer by rexa-z Tuesday, December 01, 2009 5:41 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by laktak Wednesday, December 02, 2009 7:56 AM
    Friday, November 27, 2009 9:38 AM
  • There is a setting in the Performance options that seems to apply to this issue directly, but I can't see it actually having any effect when I try it - the thumbnails stay on.  Perhaps it's worth experimenting with if you have more time than I do:

1.  Go to your Control Panel - System
    2.  Choose Advanced system settings
    3.  Click [ Settings ] in the Performance section.
    4.  The setting that seems exactly pertinent is "Save taskbar thumbnail previews".

Like I said, it seems the obvious answer, but I wasn't actually able to get it to eliminate the display of the thumbnails of the windows.

There also seems to be a group policy entry to affect this but it also doesn't seem to actually do anything:

Local Computer Policy\User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar\Turn off taskbar thumbnails

Microsoft:  Is this a bug that these settings do not actually turn off the thumbnail preview?

This article seems to cover the issue: 

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/06/15/disable-and-turn-off-taskbar-thumbnail-preview-in-windows-7-switch-to-list-view/

-Noel
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 5:48 AM
  • No, it doesn't seem to work for me either in the retail release code. 

I'm guessing that the ability to deconfigure that feature must have uncovered a bug near the time of release and they disabled it pending an update that fixes that bug.  See my question in bold above.

-Noel
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 6:28 AM
  • There is a setting in the Performance options that seems to apply to this issue directly, but I can't see it actually having any effect when I try it - the thumbnails stay on.  Perhaps it's worth experimenting with if you have more time than I do:

1.  Go to your Control Panel - System
    2.  Choose Advanced system settings
    3.  Click [ Settings ] in the Performance section.
    4.  The setting that seems exactly pertinent is "Save taskbar thumbnail previews".

Like I said, it seems the obvious answer, but I wasn't actually able to get it to eliminate the display of the thumbnails of the windows.

There also seems to be a group policy entry to affect this but it also doesn't seem to actually do anything:

Local Computer Policy\User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar\Turn off taskbar thumbnails

Microsoft:  Is this a bug that these settings do not actually turn off the thumbnail preview?

This article seems to cover the issue: 

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/06/15/disable-and-turn-off-taskbar-thumbnail-preview-in-windows-7-switch-to-list-view/

-Noel

Noel
    ya sorry i saw now
    you are right   the suggestion will not work on win 7 the only method is delaying pop up preview. hope MS can fix this issue in near future.

Nikhil
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 6:41 AM
  • OK, thanks.

I think the best workaround is to turn off Aero until they fix this.
    • Marked as answer by laktak Wednesday, December 02, 2009 7:59 AM
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 7:59 AM
  • Just curious, are these thumbnails confusing you or otherwise causing some kind of problem?  It seems a drastic move to turn off Aero altogether.

You do know you can configure the Taskbar to put words right in the buttons and not group them together into one button, right?

Right-click on an empty place in the Taskbar, choose Properties, then choose "Combine when taskbar is full" or "Never Combine" for the Taskbar buttons: setting.

-Noel
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 1:58 PM
  • Just curious, are these thumbnails confusing you or otherwise causing some kind of problem?  It seems a drastic move to turn off Aero altogether.
    Well I like the way the new taskbar groups the apps into single buttons - eg. having all explorer windows in one place.

The thumbnails however are a different story. I like to identify a window by it's title (be it a folder, document or web page). The thumbnail provides no value to me whatsoever and with it enabled the window titles that I look for are wider apart and hard to find instead of a short top to bottom list that I look for (see my screenshots at the top).

I also like that the thumbnails are gone from Alt-Tab when I disable Aero (though I probably could live with that).
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 4:01 PM