none
Computer startup too slow with sp3

Question

• I own a dell xps 410 with dual 2.4 pentium's and Windows XP Media Edition installed that is a year old. It completely starts up and loads in less than a minute. After install sp3 it took 5 minutes to load!!!!!! I tried several reboots and it still took forever to startup, so I uninstalled the service pack immediately because that was enough to scare me away. Has microsoft looked into delays in computer startup?

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 11:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Abidzip,

In order to understand the problem better, we would need to know about the following.

1. Is Media Center configured to auto-start on boot up for the system?

2. Would you be able to share detailed system information with us - including the MCE configuraiton and the MCE version. You can use systeminfo.exe for the same.

It would be great to work with you on this one and identify the cause.

Looking forward to a response.

Thanks

Shashank

P.S. You can contact me directly at shashank.bansal<at>microsoft<dot>com in case of any issues

Friday, January 18, 2008 5:02 AM

All replies

• Does it boot better now it's uninstalled? Shame you uninstalled it before trying bootvis and seeing where in the boot it was hanging...
    Thursday, January 17, 2008 9:00 PM
  • Yes it boots in less then a minute again!

Thursday, January 17, 2008 10:07 PM
  • Hi Abidzip,

In order to understand the problem better, we would need to know about the following.

2. Would you be able to share detailed system information with us - including the MCE configuraiton and the MCE version. You can use systeminfo.exe for the same.

Thanks

Shashank

P.S. You can contact me directly at shashank.bansal<at>microsoft<dot>com in case of any issues

Friday, January 18, 2008 5:02 AM
  • hello i have an inspiron xps m1210 laptop media center edition as well and also noticed a considerable lag after installing SP3, then uninstalling the performance got much much better...
    Friday, February 22, 2008 7:36 AM
  •  PLAYSCCR wrote:
    hello i have an inspiron xps m1210 laptop media center edition as well and also noticed a considerable lag after installing SP3, then uninstalling the performance got much much better...

PLAYSCCR,

You didn't mentioned the version of media center edition you're having.

Regards,

Thomas

Friday, February 22, 2008 8:10 AM
    Friday, February 22, 2008 8:12 AM
  •  Shashank Bansal [MSFT] wrote:

Hi Abidzip,

Thanks

Shashank

im having the same problem with my gateway laptop you want to troubleshoot mine before i uninstall SP3

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 11:02 PM
  • Without knowing your setup better, two things pop into my head right away:

#1. Disk fragmentation due to the installation of the service pack
    #2. JIT compiling of the .NET binaries on the first reboot (maybe/maybe not)

Thursday, April 24, 2008 4:24 AM
  • Comments from a newbie-- Just too be absolutely sure-- you're all talking about slow startup after restarting MANY times and actually using the computer some, right?

On the first restart, there's vast numbers of files which are replaced (in sort of  "DOS mode", before Windows startup reads a lot of files into memory and locks them). I'll SWAG that many JIT-compiled objects won't be compiled until the first time you actually invoke them, so it'll run slow the first time you ever use a program which invokes a "compile-once upon first use" file.

Otherwise, though, you've got a REAL performance problem with the new SP.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 8:28 PM
  •  

live onecare usually keeps my computer tune up good but  after installing SP3 it takes forever to to start up even though i have tried many starups. still the same, i have even tried to remove some programs from the startup but they always end up back on the startup list
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 11:26 PM
  •  

I've just installed SP3 and I have also noticed how slow it takes when Windows XP boots up... It takes roughly about 5 minutes whereas before it takes less than 1 minute before installing SP3. My machine is an Acer Aspire 5680 Laptop running 2GB Ram and has a 2ghz duo2core processor, running Media Centre Edition 2005.

I have also installed SP3 on an older machine and it seems to be unaffected and loads up normally as it did before the install. However this machine is running Windows XP Home.

I've tried a Bios update for my laptop but still doesn't help. I might try a defraging my laptop to see if that helps.

Thursday, May 08, 2008 10:05 AM
  • Same here.

Not using media center,  not using .NET,  slow startup (boot likely resumes after some sort of timeout).

Thursday, May 08, 2008 12:06 PM
  •  Redalert wrote:

I've just installed SP3 and I have also noticed how slow it takes when Windows XP boots up... It takes roughly about 5 minutes whereas before it takes less than 1 minute before installing SP3. My machine is an Acer Aspire 5680 Laptop running 2GB Ram and has a 2ghz duo2core processor, running Media Centre Edition 2005.

I have also installed SP3 on an older machine and it seems to be unaffected and loads up normally as it did before the install. However this machine is running Windows XP Home.

I've tried a Bios update for my laptop but still doesn't help. I might try a defraging my laptop to see if that helps.

Did a Disk Defragmenter and it seems to have made the boot time back to normal.

Friday, May 09, 2008 9:47 AM
  • I am having the same slow startup problem after sp3.  I have rebooted many, many times and my disk is not fragmented. I also notice that msmpgen.exe?? is running a lot and I don't have Onecare  installed (I don't tihink).  I do have windows live messenger installed 

I deleted all the uninstall directories on the computer including the one for SP3.  I have been tempted to reinstall it from the .exe. 

There have been times when the computer hangs in the XP screen for a long time and then reboots again.  It acts like something is timing out.  When this happens, windows offers to startup special.  I usually go into SAFE MODE and then restart.  It always restarts OK.  It may take up to 5 minutes to reboot and there is no disk activity during the long wait.  It doesn't seem to make any difference whether I have the wireless adapter enabled or not. 

Before I installed SP3 I had the annoying problem that some of the Systray icons disappeared after a reboot.  If I log off, they always return.  It seems that about every other reboot they all appear as normal.  Installing SP3 didn't affect this.  This machine has only one user/administrator account with a password. 

The computer is running:

xp sp3

.net V1, 2, 3

MCE 2005  Mce does not start on boot

ATI HDTV Wonder and ATI MMC software

AVG 7.5  free.   I just installled AVG 8 Free

MS firewall

Windows Defender

Nero 7

VideoReDo and some other video editors.

Asquared Free spyware scanner

Zune

and other vvideo stuff

Wireless network  No network cable

no printer or scanner

The computer is an Athlon 64 X2 base with 1G ram. and lots of HD space

It booted quickly before SP3 and possibly a short while after installing SP3.

Everything seems to be operating normally except VideoReDo has been a problem even before installing SP3.  there is something weird about this machine as far as VRD is concerned.  It can't be duplicated on other machines. 

I would be happy to try anything reasonable.

Doug

Saturday, May 10, 2008 8:44 PM
  • I installed XP SP3 today and after several reboots I am extremelly concerned about what MS was thinking. I have an ASUS-M6 with 1 GB Ram, no autostartup Media Centre. The drive was defragmented only a few days ago. The time to completely start up is about 5 minutes.  System patches & upgrades have been completely up to date. IS A SOLUTION IN THE WORKS?

Sunday, May 11, 2008 12:00 AM
  • same here, normal boot time is 2 minites on my machine with xp sp2, now it takes like 7 with xp sp3 installed!! no changes whatsoever to computer other then installing sp3 for windows Xp. System is clean, programs launch fast, but boot time is slow. No changes made to what programs are used when started with the system. 2.50 ghz, 760 mb of ram, compaq.
    Sunday, May 11, 2008 1:29 AM
  • continuing from my earlier post a couple up from here:

I tried bootvis to record several traces.  It took several tries to catch one that was slow.  Maybe it was the one after I let bootvis optomize the boot process. 

Anyway, the trace showed NO activity for over one minute other than a tiny amount of CPU activity. 

Doug

Sunday, May 11, 2008 2:59 AM
  • Did you try doing a defragment the drive? It solved my problem by increasing the time to boot.

Sunday, May 11, 2008 4:24 PM
  • If you directed the question at me, the answer is yes.  I'm near neurotic about keeping C: defraged.  The long period of no activity looks like a timeout to me. I can't imagine who is waiting for what. 

Doug

Sunday, May 11, 2008 5:57 PM
  • my c drive according to anaylize of the windows defrag says the drive does not need to be defragmented, should i defrag it anyway even though it says i do not need it?
    Sunday, May 11, 2008 6:11 PM

• Hi to all,

Please read the post:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3249375&SiteID=17

It may resolve the issues you are having! Also, after your system is running correctly, you may want to manually start the
    prefech ini file(layout.ini) in the prefech folder if it's missing! If the layout ini file is there, clear out the prefetch files (NOT the LAYOUT INI file - leave this one alone).
    Reboot your computer! Also, check the temp directory under administrator to see if you have some files in there that
    windows is reading while boot up.

Use this cmd if your layout.ini file is missing! Use this AFTER your computer is running correctly:

at the command prompt:

cd\
    rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks     (press enter)

I hope this helps!

thesunnytexas
    Sunday, May 11, 2008 8:55 PM
  • Yes you should do a defrag... It has solved boot up times for 2 machines I installed SP3 on...

Sunday, May 11, 2008 10:30 PM
  •  

In my case,  the problem isn't a defrag issue.

If it were,  the hard drive would be spinning like crazy,  and it is not.

Defragging can give you a few percent more performance,  but nowhere near 30 seconds at each bootup,   especially on a drive which is like,  months old.  

This problem is obviously some kind of network timeout.

Monday, May 12, 2008 6:25 PM
  •  

It's helped me... My drive took 5 mins to boot in to windows after sp3 was installed and was solved with a defrag. Now it boot up time is at 30 seconds to boot into Windows and this is on a machine that is a year old. One more thing before the defrag the Hard drive wasn't spinning like crazy, so it is hard to tell but a defrag has solved my problem. If you have tried a defrag then try doing a selective startup that has been suggested on this forum, to see if it is a microsoft problem or a third party software conflict.

If it is a network timeout issue then probablly try uninstallying your antivirus and firewall software and re-install it again, which also solved another bootup problem on another machine I had sp3 installed on.

Sorry if defragging hasn't helped you but you have to remember every machine has it's own setup and defragging has solved my problems.

Monday, May 12, 2008 8:03 PM

• Hi everyone,

First, Did you check to see if the prefetch is working - as to say- layout.ini file present?

You may want to look!

Note: defrag will not work properly unless prefetch is working correctly! Also, This applies to Perfect Disk 2008 and
    Diskeeper 2008.

The MFT Reserve space has to be set properly!

Take Care,

thesunnytexas
    Monday, May 12, 2008 8:18 PM
  •  

If your 1 year-old computer took a whopping 5 minutes to boot and now doesn't,  after a simple defrag,  then you must have had an extremely low amount of RAM,  or a huge demand on the RAM you have.  In any case,  this is far from normal behavior.   I don't deny your claim that your problem stopped happening,  but I have a raised eyebrow as to the true causality of 'defrag' on a proper setup.  Perhaps you use 5400 rpm drives?  Perhaps your windows folder has 273,446 files?  Perhaps you have 256 megs of RAM?   For now I can't say,  but I do know I use my computer 24/7 and download more than 1 terabyte per month,  and even I couldn't reach this amount of 'fragmentation' in 4 years.   I do know windows XP needs at the very least,  1 gigabyte of RAM to breathe properly.  As for the rest,  I dont use an antivirus (they are bulky and slow down your machine like crazy) and my firewall software is in perfect order as always.  In case you ask,  no I do NOT have any viruses or spyware.  But maybe a bulky antivirus really is what makes fragmentation  become critical.  My bootup used to take about 30 seconds on a flawless and minimalistic setup,  and now takes about 75 under SP3.  The entirely new delay happens just at the welcome screen.
    Monday, May 12, 2008 11:30 PM
  •  

First of all my machine is a Laptop, so yes it has a 5400rpm HDD, moreover it has in fact 2GB of ram not 256MB ram. Plus what you have to remember that SP3 deletes a lot of files, and replaces/installs a lot of new files, which I suspect has caused the fragmentation, in my case.

In my case the problem it took ages to boot into Windows from the Windows XP startup screen (teh black screen with Windows XP on it not the welcome screen in my case).

In the case of another computer (a Desktop) I had SP3 installed, which has a 7200rpm HDD and 3GB ram, it also had a slow bootup time at the bootup screen. This was once again cured with a simple defrag.

In terms of the delay in the welcome screen, I also had this problem on another machine with SP3 installed and this was cured by uninstalling and reinstalling the firewall software I had installed on the machine.

Maybe you have an AMD processor? From what I have read from this forum, SP3 conflicts with AMD processors (click here). Note: All my machines are running intel processors.

And you are right it is far from normal behaviour that's why I made a post originally before I did a defrag complaining about my slow bootup time... However my problem was solved with a simple defrag on 2 machines I have which were slow to bootup after SP3 installation.

Try giving thesunnytexas's solution a go or something suggested by Deepak S (click here).

If none of these solutions help then it's best to contact microsoft themselves for help.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 1:27 PM
  • I had the same problem after SP3 installation - very slow boot; after Windows logo screen the PC would go into "sleep" for about 4 minutes. During this time the screen was blank, no hourglass or any indication of CPU activity, no hard drive activity. Then the normal boot would resume and the user logon screen would come up.

Spent several hours on the phone with microsoft tech support trying to figure it out with no luck.

And then looking through Autoruns (sysinternals utility) I noticed a couple of resident programs installed by iolo's system mechanic 6. Once I uninstalled SM6 the issue went away and the PC boots normally now! Check if you have it installed (or had in the past) and remove it (it's worthless anyway IMHO). Good luck.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 1:13 PM
  • Here is yuor fix for the video redo. and other video stuff. Are you using the Mark liron video recomned co-decs? K-lite works with Sp3. At least up to the release candidates.

Any problems with cds or dvds? might try the delete first and last filter solution post in the IE crashes section of this forum. Will look and index it in another post

• Download and reinstall the .NET Framework 1.1 SP1:
      http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en
    • Go to the Start menu, choose Run and type CMD
    • In the black box that opens, type this carefully (or, Copy/Paste):

%windir%\ehome\medctrro.exe /o /p RunOnce

Reboot and then try out out your video programs/
    • This is a two part addition
    • You may wish to run the defrag program onces its done
    • Goto start, run regedit navigate to the following

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OptimalLayout

create new REG_DWord called EnableAutoLayout = 1

The later part ensures the files are with out fragments. which came from this piost here. Which you might consider looking at. http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3140920&SiteID=17

The next fix enables prefetch automatic placement

Cheers Keith

Friday, May 23, 2008 10:29 AM