none
AuthenTec Inc. AES2501A fingerprint reader will not work after resume

Question

• Hi.
    My fingerprint reader works fine on the first logon.
    But whenever my computer goes to sleep and then resumes, it shows the fingerprint logon screen, but nothing happens when I scan my finger.

Anyone know what could be causing it?
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 11:14 PM

Answers

• Hi.
    But whenever my computer goes to sleep and then resumes, it shows the fingerprint logon screen, but nothing happens when I scan my finger.

Hi

These issues with Devices and software applications not reinitializing properly when resuming from Sleep/Hibernation anr well known bugs.

The latest information we have on these issues is that they are fixed in a later build.

Keep an eye on the following website for any updated drivers.

Authentec Windows 7 Driver Download

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Friday, July 03, 2009 1:54 AM

All replies

• Hi.

Hi

These issues with Devices and software applications not reinitializing properly when resuming from Sleep/Hibernation anr well known bugs.

The latest information we have on these issues is that they are fixed in a later build.

Keep an eye on the following website for any updated drivers.

Authentec Windows 7 Driver Download

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Friday, July 03, 2009 1:54 AM
  • Same problem here. Will keep checking for updates.

Friday, July 17, 2009 3:34 PM
  • Go into the device manager list. Find the fingerprintreader driver on the list. Doubbleclick on it and select "powermanagement". Uncheck where it says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". Im from norway, so i may not have spelled everything correct, but you get the idea.

Now, after the computer comes back from sleepmode, the fingerprintreader will work just fine :-)

I personnally blaimed everything on vista, because when i first got this laptop new back in 2008, i had a hard time switching between wire and wireless internet. But only cause whenever the machine went into sleep mode and came back again, i didnt realize that the powersaving thing was checked in the devicemanager. Now everything works like a charm, or how i personnally like it :-)
    • Edited by JustDoThis... _ Saturday, August 01, 2009 10:55 AM correction of spellings ;)
    • Proposed as answer by Biometric Engineer Thursday, October 08, 2009 3:09 PM
    Saturday, August 01, 2009 10:50 AM
  • Go into the device manager list. Find the fingerprintreader driver on the list. Doubbleclick on it and select "powermanagement". Uncheck where it says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". Im from norway, so i may not have spelled everything correct, but you get the idea.

Now, after the computer comes back from sleepmode, the fingerprintreader will work just fine :-)

This doesn't work for me in Windows 7.
    I've even tried MS registry patch (adding "ForceHCResetOnResume" value to the right USB node) but no luck.
    Maybe it works in Vista but not in Windows 7.

I haven't tried downloading Authentec beta drivers for Win 7. Win 7 comes with Authentec drivers version 8.0.10.9064 from 10 March. Are the Authentec beta drivers newer, do they fix the resume issue?
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 9:44 AM
  • Same problem with win7 x64 rtm.
    If you hibernate instead of sleep the fingerprint reader will resume.
    Waiting for drivers.

Lynn
    Friday, August 28, 2009 5:29 PM
  • 1:Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then press ENTER.

2:Locate the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidUsb

3:Right-click HidUsb, point to New, and then click DWord Value to create the following entry:

FastResumeDisable

4:Double-click FastResumeDisable, type 1, and then click OK.

5:Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

this fixes the nasty wake up & cannot use your AuthenTec Biometric Scanner as your password.

~Wolfcaller
    • Proposed as answer by Wolfcaller Saturday, August 29, 2009 2:45 AM
    • Edited by Wolfcaller Saturday, August 29, 2009 2:54 AM non
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 2:45 AM
  • 1:Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then press ENTER.

2:Locate the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidUsb

3:Right-click HidUsb, point to New, and then click DWord Value to create the following entry:

FastResumeDisable

4:Double-click FastResumeDisable, type 1, and then click OK.

5:Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

this fixes the nasty wake up & cannot use your AuthenTec Biometric Scanner as your password.

~Wolfcaller
    unfortunately, as high a hope as I had, this solution doesn't work for me.  

Windows 7 Professional (RTM, x64)

my specific findings:

1.) when I put the laptop to sleep and close the lid, open it back up and boot the machine back to the login screen, the fingerprint reader doesn't work.

2.) it does work, however, when the I hibernate and resume from hibernation, whether I close the lid or not.

3.) if I put the machine to sleep and do not close the lid , the fingerprint reader works properly .

anyone else experiencing this?

hoping for a solution, as it's pretty annoying.  if anyone has any other ideas, please pass them along.
    • Edited by Adrian Reynolds Saturday, October 03, 2009 6:04 AM updated details.
    Saturday, October 03, 2009 5:27 AM
  • When the computer goes into standby, it also places the Authentec sensor in a sleep mode, or wait mode. Which drops the power consumption to near 500 microamps. Once the machine is awakened, its the computers job to send a wake signal to the device. Just sending power to the device does not change the mode. Once the machine awakes, it is supplying +5.0Vdc to the reader. If Windows has not sent the wake signal it will not repower, causing you to have to disable the device and reenable it from device manager.  I have found the best way to keep this from happening is to make sure in the device's properties, that you have the checkbox UNCLICKED to allow the system to set the device to sleep. This will keep the system from sending the signal in the first place, and it will just power off instead. Powering back on with the system.

Hope this helps!
    Thursday, October 08, 2009 3:07 PM
  • I'm not even getting that far. On my HP dv6830ed de driver installs fine on 64bit Windows 7 but I can't get it to read my fingerprint. The procedure starts but it looks like the device is not started...strange
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 12:01 PM
  • Did you download the latest version of the Digital Persona Software from the HP site?

Heres a link http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-64441-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3716991&os=2100&lang=en

version 3.1.0.3276_64 A

You may find a newer version from Digital Persona.

Also, make sure the device is recognized in the device manager, then try again. Post back your details.
    Monday, October 12, 2009 1:07 PM
  • I am also experiencing this kind of behaviour.

Not sure if it is with the exact same authentec device (I do have a 8530p), but from time to time the fingerprint reader does not recognise my fingerprint after recovering from hibernate. It works maybe 80% of the time.

I am using w7 x64 RTM with the driver downloaded from Windows Update.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 11:33 PM
  • There is an updated driver for the Authentec fingerprint reader for Windows 7 that is not available from Windows Update.  It seems to fix this problem.

1.        Go to http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

2.        Under Select Product, choose Notebook.

3.        Under Select Series, choose Drivers.

4.        Under Models, choose Fingerprint.

5.        Click Search.

6.        When asked for the OS, select Windows 7 (for 32-bit) or Win 7 64 bit.

7.        4 files are found.  Pick the Version V2.0.0.4 and select a download site.

8.        Save the file to your hard drive.

9.        Go to Biometric Devices in Control Panel and remove fingerprint data.

10.     Uninstall Win7TS and any other Authentec programs (WBDI driver package or TrueSuite, for example) from Control Panel/Programs.

11.     Reboot (usually automatic).

12.     Install the new driver package and go to Display Manager and make sure the new driver is installed (version 2.0.0.4, dated August 2009).

13.     Go to Biometric Devices to turn on the reader for Windows logon, and enrol your fingerprints.

• Proposed as answer by HowdyDo Thursday, October 29, 2009 5:33 PM
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 1:22 AM
  • ===> Ronnie Vernon

Could you help me with this issue?

I downloaded the driver for authentec aes2501a from authentec page - windows 7 64bits beta, and that is not working... truesuite show 2.0 , the device manager show it has no errors and the device works fine, however after I installed, and got to Windows FingerPrint manager program, it opened, asked my password and started to record my finger impressions... but the reader is not reading my finger... and about 2 hours ago I was with Windows Vista installed and working, so that is not a problem on the hardware but on the driver... how should I do?

Windows 7 Ultimate RTM

Thursday, October 29, 2009 8:00 PM
  • Download the newer version of the software using the instructions in the post immediately prior to your post.  The Authentec beta download dates back to February 2009, but the final driver is dated August 2009.  The beta version has issues.
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 8:13 PM
  • Ok I really tried that yesterday, put the new driver on my computer and follow all the instructions, but after installed everything, etc, and I went to contol panel
    \ hardware \ start using biometric devices with windows, it opened a Authen Tec TrueSuite screen, let me choose a finger - to which I would like to take the impressions, and asked for Windows Login Password. I typed the password and imediately after that the program gave the message "Fail on the Registry" or "Registry Failure" and stopped without allow me to put my fingers on the device to capture the impressions....

what must I do?

Thanks a lot!
    Friday, October 30, 2009 12:41 PM
  • I would contact Authentec at support@authentec.com  Ask for Scott Poole, and let him know your issue. There may be a patch or something to counteract a bad installation.  It sounds as if the application did not populate the registry with the correct or even ANY values.  A reinstallation of the application would also be my second move.

This does not point at all to a device failure, but reinstallation of the drivers is included in the True Suite installer.

Hope this helps!

Network Systems Engineer * Zvetco Biometrics * Windows Server 2008 R2 * Core2 6600 @ 2.40GHz * 16 GIGS RAM * NVIDIA 9400GT *
    Friday, October 30, 2009 1:50 PM
  • There is an updated driver for the Authentec fingerprint reader for Windows 7 that is not available from Windows Update.  It seems to fix this problem.

5.        Click Search.

7.        4 files are found.  Pick the Version V2.0.0.4 and select a download site.

10.     Uninstall Win7TS and any other Authentec programs (WBDI driver package or TrueSuite, for example) from Control Panel/Programs.

12.     Install the new driver package and go to Display Manager and make sure the new driver is installed (version 2.0.0.4, dated August 2009).

13.     Go to Biometric Devices to turn on the reader for Windows logon, and enrol your fingerprints.

Thank you a LOT!!! It helped!!! (Windows 7 Ultimate on HP Pavilion DV6825ER)
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 12:17 AM
  • Unfortunately for me that havent helped... i'm still under problems with this driver and device... I tried to contact the support of authentec as Biometric Engineer said above, but without any success, they havent answered to me... so any other idea guys?
    Thanks a lot!
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 1:13 PM
  • Unfortunately for me that havent helped... i'm still under problems with this driver and device... I tried to contact the support of authentec as Biometric Engineer said above, but without any success, they havent answered to me... so any other idea guys?
    Thanks a lot!

Did you cheked if the installed driver is (version 2.0.0.4, dated August 2009)? Bacause simple install of that package do not install that driver when 8.0.4 driver was installed before. At least it was like that in my laptop. So i needed manually update the driver (it is placed in TrueSuite install folder).
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 4:05 PM
  • yes I checked that and the driver's date is about 08/05/09, and 2.0.0.4 version... it is a very weird behavior... like the driver is ok, but when I start the bio. program and try to read a fingerprint, no way!!! it doesnt work...
    thanks a lot but I am out of hope...
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 7:43 PM
  • Try to enroll a finger you havent enrolled before.

Check this step again:

Thursday, November 12, 2009 11:57 PM

5.        Click Search.

Yup. The new drivers worked for me.

My symptoms - using the original "beta" drivers - were that the fingerprint reader worked if the machine was on external power when it locked / slept OR if it came out of hibernation. IOW, lock/sleep while on battery was a no-go for fingers - only password worked. With the 2.0.0.4 drivers, it works as expected.
    • Proposed as answer by gregoryxxx Sunday, November 15, 2009 10:14 PM
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 10:14 PM
  • Thanks!
    After installing W7 on a Fujitsu U1010, the only thing left to get to work was the fingerprint sensor.
    This driver did the job!
    Chris
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 1:59 PM