none
Windows could not configure one or more system components.

Question

• When using BDD with the Enterprise install DVD (created the first build/os off the original DVD, not custom)

I can boot into PE, and am prompted for the prompts, but when I get to the point where it asks you for the product key, I enter my MAK from my VLK and it will not accept it, so I leave it blank. goto next.
    Then it copies down the files restarts the computer and installs windows - the green bar gets about 80% and the following have check marks:
    Copying Windows files
    Expanding files
    Installing features
    Installing updates

After that it says Completing installation ...

and a popup comes up and says:
    Windows could not configure one or more system components. To install Windows, restart the computer and then restart the installation.

What does this mean?  I have tried everything, I can apply a custom image using imagex, but would like to automate this process with BDD2007.  Like I said in order to keep things simple (so I thought) I was just testing using the OS capture created within the "Workbench" using the option - "Full set of source files".

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
    Dan Baker
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 1:22 PM

Answers

• *** - found out what was going on.

You apparently can not use the Vista Enterprise UPGRADE DVD's setup binaries to automate a clean install - (it prob says this somewhere in the docs) So I downloaded the Vista Business Install CD from my VLM and BAM - works like a charm Smile  SO I guess the Upgrade Setup Binaries look for another copy of windows or something - you think they would give a better error message than - Windows could not configure one or more system components.

Ohh well problem SOLVED!
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 3:03 PM

All replies

• *** - found out what was going on.

You apparently can not use the Vista Enterprise UPGRADE DVD's setup binaries to automate a clean install - (it prob says this somewhere in the docs) So I downloaded the Vista Business Install CD from my VLM and BAM - works like a charm Smile  SO I guess the Upgrade Setup Binaries look for another copy of windows or something - you think they would give a better error message than - Windows could not configure one or more system components.

Ohh well problem SOLVED!
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 3:03 PM
  • Hi Dan,

Can you explain some more what you did? I am getting the same error, and I am using the Enterprise VLK set too... But why do you think that it is only fit for upgrades?

Greetings from the Netherlands,

Harry

Thursday, September 06, 2007 12:11 PM
  • To fix Windows could not configure one ormore.... problem, simply go to Control Panel/Programs/Prpgrams and Features/Turn Windows Features on and off before you start upgrading.

1. Uncheck XPS Viewer under MS .NETFramework

2. Uncheck Remote Differential Compression

3. Unceck Window DFS Replication Service 

Unchecking the three features willget rid of the error message. I upgraded Basics to Premiun after turning these featrures off.

• Proposed as answer by DanoNH Friday, August 28, 2009 10:00 AM
    Friday, September 14, 2007 5:08 AM
  • Annana & Montego@1350 was right because I was haveing the seam problem that I have tried three times to upgrade from Vista Home Primiun to Vista Ultimate.  I know is not even in the Windows Help and How-to Frequently asked questionsto or Microsoft TechNet for support or how to set up

Thanks to Annana and Montego it work for me it will work for you just fallow the steps

(: On Windows Vista Home Primiun > Start > Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Under Programs and Features search for > Turn Windows Features On or Off Smile

Do the fallow by To turn a feature off clear its check box. and then Ok

Microsoft.NET Framework 3.0 >

Remote Differential Compression >

Windows DFS Replication Service

Restart the computer and then Restart the upgrade and this should do it...............

P.s don't forget to turn back on by select its check box.

Friday, November 16, 2007 9:55 AM
  • Dear Dan,

I don't know much about systems, but Windows shall give you an sollution how to repair etc.

My exp. is that if we / you start doing it all by your self, you end up in more problems and questions. So if windows has a total concept for finding problems on your system and also the automatic sollution as a repair / update download program. I look forward to this program, due to that I need this also.

Herre

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 2:03 PM
  • Thank You so much for posting this.  I've done everything to try to upgrade windows and I was just about to settle for a clean install.  Thanks to you Montego@1350 I've got a solution to my problem.  I'm trying it now...

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 1:22 AM
  • This worked perfectly.

Thank you  Montego@1350

I was trying to do an Anytime Update from Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate on a Gateway laptop and had the same issue.

I was so frustrated with Microsoft. Your solution was simple and worked perfectly.

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 12:42 AM
  •  Montego@1350 wrote:

To fix Windows could not configure one ormore.... problem, simply go to Control Panel/Programs/Prpgrams and Features/Turn Windows Features on and off before you start upgrading.

1. Uncheck XPS Viewer under MS .NETFramework

2. Uncheck Remote Differential Compression

3. Unceck Window DFS Replication Service 

Unchecking the three features willget rid of the error message. I upgraded Basics to Premiun after turning these featrures off.

Montego@1350 - YOU ARE A HERO!!!!

Thanks- I was so frustrated by this error and had spent hours trying to fix it.  I followed your steps and they worked perfectly! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Monday, February 25, 2008 2:29 AM
  • hi all!

i have same problam. bought asus x83vb laptop and it comes with 64bit home premium vista.

i am trying to upgrade to ULTIMATE 32 bit because i cant install any soft i have on 64 bit....

but i get the same annoying message....

Windows could not configure one or more system components.

tried unchecking all the windows features. - not helped...

please!!! help me. tnx Smile

Thursday, November 20, 2008 10:00 AM
  •  

You cannot upgrade from 64bit to 32bit.  You need a clean install when going from 32 to 64 or from 64 to 32.
    Monday, December 08, 2008 1:39 PM
  • This worked fine for me also - many thanks - upgrading from business to ultimate. Not sure I understand why this needs to be done or why Vista fails otherwise but it works!!!
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 2:47 PM
  • I have a Dell XPS 630i with 8 GB of RAM. I have tried this solution 4 times and it HAS NOT worked. I continue to get the same, completely non-informative, error message "Windows could not configure one or more system components. To install Windows, restart the computer and then restart the installation" and the installation rolls back.

This solution may work for some, but it does not fix the problem.

2 years later and Microsoft still has no fix for this EXTREMELY common (if you believe Google) problem.

Brian Curley
    Sunday, March 08, 2009 9:38 PM
  • Montego_1350:

Thank you.  These steps allowed me to perform an in-place upgrade installation of Vista Ultimate.  I was having (and may still have) activation issues.

I had contacted MS tech support and this was not mentioned at all.

Thanks again,
    Dan

Dan's Web Spot
    Friday, August 28, 2009 10:05 AM
  • My story is a little bit different. I just received my computer in the mail...however I did not order an operating system with it because i can get one for free from school. I am getting the exact same error message but mind you, i have no operating system that i am upgrading from. PLEASE HELP ME! Im tired of looking at this beautiful machine, must put it to work!

EDIT
    Also, i had to download the 64 bit vista enterprise.iso and then iso burn it to a dvd...that is what im inserting upon start up
    Friday, February 05, 2010 12:04 AM
  • Can you do this if your computer has no current working operating system? if so...HOW?!?! i have this amazing computer infront of me and i cant even touch it!
    Monday, February 08, 2010 5:45 AM
  • Make sure you have the latest bios. My Dell XPS M1530 with bios A07 could not install windows 7, but after i upgraded to A09 all went well.
    Wednesday, August 04, 2010 7:49 PM