none
Shortcut key gets lost

Question

• Situation: Just installed Win7 Pro x64.  Want to run an AutoHotKeys script file.  Created a shortcut to the script inside a Folder located on the Desktop.  Used right-click on the shortcut and defined a shortcut key (Shift + F12). 

Problem: after a reboot (may be even after hibernate) the shortcut key no longer works.  If I redefine it to the SAME key, it does NOT work.  If I redefine it to a DIFFERENT key, the new key works.  But only until the next restart.

Question(s): 1] how to solve this ? 2] where are the shortcut key definition stored ?  Is there a registry entry I can verify ?
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 7:21 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Shortcut keys work only for shortcuts on the desktop or in the Start menu hierarchy.

At that point, I would like to suggest you copy the shortcuts out of the folders on the desktop and paste them to the desktop directly. After that, you may recreate the shortcut keys and restart the computer to check the issue. It works for me.

For more information, you may refer to the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/134552

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, December 25, 2009 5:01 AM

All replies

• Hello,

The AutoHotKeys problem may not be fully compatible with 64bit version of windows 7. Try create a new account and to see if the issue persists:

1. Click the Start button, click Control Panel.
    2. Under the Classic View, double click "User Accounts".
    3. Click "Manager another account" and click "Create a new account".
    4. Input the user name, select "Computer administrator" as the desired account type, and then click "Create Account".
    5. Restart your computer and log on as the new created user account.

I know a
    similar application called hoekey. We can also use this application to  defined shortcut key.

Thomas77

Monday, December 21, 2009 5:13 AM
  • Thanks, Thomas.

Did EXACTLY as you instructed, (actually, I also created a password for the account, and I accidentally pushed "shutdown" instead of "restart").

Then ...

6. Create a folder on Desktop ("KeyTest" -- just some unique name).
    7. Start Windows Explorer, navigate to a PDF file on another volume, right-click, "Copy".
    8. Double-Click to open "KeyTest", right-click, "Paste ShortCut".
    9. Right-click on the new ShortCut, "Properties", click on the "Shortcut Key" field, and press "Ctrl-Shift-H" (never previously used).
    10. Close Windows Explorer, Close "KeyTest" folder. 
    11. Try "Ctrl-Shift-H"... it WORKS !  (Duh!)  Displaying the PDF file in AdobeReader.
    12. Log off new user.
    13. Log immediately back in to new user.
    14. Try "Ctrl-Shift-H"... it does **NOT** Work !

How now brown cow :-) ?  ( have not tried hoekey ... and won't until I can solve this issue ... )

Thanks again ... more help and hints are appreciated.
    Monday, December 21, 2009 4:48 PM
  • Hi,

Shortcut keys work only for shortcuts on the desktop or in the Start menu hierarchy.

At that point, I would like to suggest you copy the shortcuts out of the folders on the desktop and paste them to the desktop directly. After that, you may recreate the shortcut keys and restart the computer to check the issue. It works for me.

For more information, you may refer to the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/134552

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, December 25, 2009 5:01 AM
  • Thanks Arthur.  That has worked (so far surviving one restart).  :-)

I was trying to avoid "clutter" by "hiding" various items in a folder ... I did not run across this limitation of shortcut keys you point out during my searches.  I will play around a little more, just to make sure, but it looks like this thread is SOLVED.
    Friday, December 25, 2009 5:56 AM
  • Additional Update: It survived an overnight shutdown and an early morning hybrid sleep, working for a little while.  But it is BROKEN AGAIN now.  I've not done anything highly unusual (email (TB3), IE8, FF3.55, WMP, some Windows Explorer, but not much else).  Possibility that WMP12 causes a problem ?  Or some other intermediate application that resets the key ( I am using F12 now ) ?
    Friday, December 25, 2009 6:44 PM
  • Update: Exiting all apps does not help.  Neither does a restart.  The F12 key is still defined when I do a "Properties" on the shortcut icon on the Desktop.  Merry Xmas.  More testing later.
    Friday, December 25, 2009 6:49 PM
  • Update: If I use a triple key (Ctrl-Alt or Ctrl-Shift combination) it works, and the key-combo survives a couple of days of general PC use, including hybrid sleeps and a restart or two. 

However, I am trying to use a single-key trigger for the shortcut -- which is what I had with the programmable keys on this old Logitech KBD and its iTouch drivers (which are no longer supported by Vista or Win7). 

It appears my choice of F12 gets somehow lost or reset. 

I can also use a single-key-stroke on the numeric-keypad (like "+" and "/") which I have not yet tested for long enough and those keys are less desirable due to conflicts with other uses.  But I am willing to compromise with this option. 

Thanks again to Thomas and Arthur !  And hopefully this thread will help someone else ...
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 7:07 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. It seems the F12 key is a special key. I also cannot set it as a single shortcut key. In order to avoid the conflicts among the function keys, shortcut keys and normal keys, it is recommended to use the triple key (Ctrl-Alt or Ctrl-Shift combination) for shortcut keys.

Yes, I also hope your thread can help more customers who encounter the similar issue.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, December 28, 2009 10:06 AM
  • I realize this is an old thread, but I haven't found my fix in the few search results I've read and wanted to share it for any subsequent searchers....

I never had this problem in XP x86 or x64, 7 RC x64, 7 Ent x64 or SBS2008 x86(I don't do Vista). It recently occurred on a new, up to date install of 2008r2 Standard x64.

I tried multi installs, moving shortcuts(drag and drop + cut&paste) to my start menu, program data start menu, my desktop, public desktop  and new user accounts. Sometimes mappings would persist after one or two restarts, which is more curious than annoying in hindsight. I finally stumbled upon the link below and gave it a test run. I never disabled 'display recent' options through gpedit and I'm not running XP but it fixed my problem all the same. The trigger was me deselecting both options under privacy in the start menu properties. I do this on all my installs, nothing has changed on my end. My fix was to check the boxes and drill down to customize>start menu size and cranked them both to zero. Voila!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330459

Monday, December 26, 2011 4:39 AM