none
Burning to Disc in Vista (Burn and Burn to Disc buttons)

Question

• Hi,

I'm probaby missing something really basic, but this is driving me round the bend.

Up until now I've never really had much cause to write data to CD/DVD.

About a monuth ago though I wanted to copy some files I had down loaded onto my PC, so I could transfer them to my old PC (the childrens that doesn't have any comms). So I fumbled around in Vista and in the end managed to format a CD, and burn the files, with no problems. If I recall correctly I selected the file, clicked the burn button, Vista asked me to insert a disc, disc provided and away we go.

A couple of weeks ago I came to do the same thing but It just wouldn't work, and has not since. In insert a blank disk and a prompt comes up asking whether I want to burn an Audio Disk (with WMP) or files to disk using Windows. I choose the later, but nothing happens (I'm sure before that at least another window popped up last time asking what type of CD I wanted to create).

I've tried all the following in explorer in order to copy the required file to CD:

- Selecting the file and clicking the 'burn' button. Nothing happens
    - Dragging and dropping the file on CD drive in explorer. Nothing happens
    - Selecting the file, write clicking on the CD drive and selecting 'burn to disc'. This just generates a popup saying 'there are no files to burn'.

I've also done the following:

- Tried different discs.
    - Managed to burn music files to CDs using WMP, with no problem.
    - Proved that the data can be read from CDs (both recordable and not).
    - Erased disks using both explorer and WMP.
    - Tried formating a disk from explorer (right clicking on CD drive and selecting format) but nothing happens.

So what am I doing wrong? What is the obvious thing I'm missing? The only thing I know I've changed since I last managed a file copy to CD, is that I've installed some Creative sofware for my ZEN Vision M, and I've been doing a fair bit of ripping using both the Creative software and WMP. I can't see how this would affect anything though??? I've even tried unistalling this software just to be sure and it didn't help either.

As I say this is driving me bonkers, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

MrJubbly
    Wednesday, December 05, 2007 9:08 PM

All replies

• I know this is not much help, but I am having the same problem.

My Vista system recognises the DVD/RW and will burn photos, music etc through the media player. But when you go into a windows directory and push the 'burn' button nothing happens.  Also when you put a new disc in nothing happens. Most annoying.

I even re-installed Vista to try and cure the problem but its still there!  The daft bit is, like you, when I first installed vista I could click burn and get a reaction.

So come on Microsoft what is the solution??

Sunday, December 09, 2007 9:54 PM
  •  Frankc1 wrote:

I know this is not much help, but I am having the same problem.

My Vista system recognises the DVD/RW and will burn photos, music etc through the media player. But when you go into a windows directory and push the 'burn' button nothing happens.  Also when you put a new disc in nothing happens. Most annoying.

I even re-installed Vista to try and cure the problem but its still there!  The daft bit is, like you, when I first installed vista I could click burn and get a reaction.

So come on Microsoft what is the solution??

Well it is help in that at least I know I'm not going completely mad. It's comforting in a way to know that womeones else has the same problem.

I've been contemplating re-installing Vista, but it is installed on my first (and only so far) system build, and even though it took me a while to get it the system up and running, it has been very stable apart from this one annoying problem. So I didn't really want to start over and anyways sounds like you've disproved that anyway.

Like you say 'Come on Microsoft what is the solution' (or anybody else out there).

Maybe if we don't hear anything soon we should compare set-ups to see if we have anything in common?

Cheers,

Jubbly

Monday, December 10, 2007 11:17 PM
  • I have been on to Microsoft.  Guess what they recommend?  Formatting the drive and reinstalling Vista afresh.  Just spent ages sorting out other problems with vista.

For intstance can you get your computer to go to sleep when you push the button  on the key board? Try it.  I sorted that then I have found another problem. After you put the computer to sleep (and it you managed to stop it waking after 30 seconds) you can not connect to internet after waking it up, you have to reboot. Microsoft blames the modem software. Though I did point out that the Microsoft software manager did tell me the drivers were up to date.

If you go to 'COMPUTER' and open up that folder.  Select your DVD/RW that you are having problems with. Right click on that driver. Select PROPERTIES do you see a 'RECORDING' tab. I bet you have GENRAL-TOOLS-HARDWARE-SHARING-CUSTOMIZE.............. but no RECORDING tab.  Let me know.

Anyways. Is your computer configured anything like this?

NEV DVD RW ND-2510A ATA DEVICE for a DVD writer. I have it on D Drive

and a DVD/CD reader on E.

It has the latest firmware 2.19.  The drivers all updated. 

I uninstalled both drivers. I uninstalled the ATA driver software. Rebooted then reinstalled the lot. still nothing.

Let me know if yours is anything like mine. Should be interesting.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 8:54 AM
  •  Frankc1 wrote:

For intstance can you get your computer to go to sleep when you push the button  on the key board? Try it. 

No problems here. PC goes to sleep and wakes as I'd expect.

Frankc1 wrote:

After you put the computer to sleep (and it you managed to stop it waking after 30 seconds) you can not connect to internet after waking it up, you have to reboot.

I've noticed something similar. My PC auto dials when it starts up. When waking, if you attempt to connect you get an error and a dialog box saying its going to redial in 30 seconds. I usually cancel this but if you do wait the 30 seconds, or attempt to connect after cancelling from the redial dialog box, my PC connects fine. It's like the PC is trying to connect before the OS has fully completed loading. Try waiting and see if that works.

Frankc1 wrote:

If you go to 'COMPUTER' and open up that folder.  Select your DVD/RW that you are having problems with. Right click on that driver. Select PROPERTIES do you see a 'RECORDING' tab. I bet you have GENRAL-TOOLS-HARDWARE-SHARING-CUSTOMIZE.............. but no RECORDING tab.  Let me know.

Checked this and I'm afraid I do have the RECORDING tab.

Frankc1 wrote:

Anyways. Is your computer configured anything like this?

NEV DVD RW ND-2510A ATA DEVICE for a DVD writer. I have it on D Drive

and a DVD/CD reader on E.

It has the latest firmware 2.19.  The drivers all updated. 

I uninstalled both drivers. I uninstalled the ATA driver software. Rebooted then reinstalled the lot. still nothing.

I have a Samsung SH-S183L SATA DVD RW and I've uninstalled and upgraded to the latest firmware. Still on joy.

Have you got any other burning software installed on your PC - Nero, or anything like that? If you have does that work?

Cheers

Jubbly

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 10:26 PM
  • Nero just wont work on mine. However I do have Cute DVD burner software and that seems to work ok, as long as you dont use 16X or above discs.

Isnt Vista fun?

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 12:31 AM
  • I had a problem in Vista where I was trying to burn a disc and I would recieve the "no files to burn" message.  On the DVD, I was trying to burn 1 folder at the root level that contained multiple files within the folder.

After Googling, I found that Vista requires at least 2 objects at the root folder to burn a disk, otherwise, you get the "no files to burn" message.  I added a blank NoData.txt file and then I could burn the disc.  I'm not sure why this is required.  I did notice that there was a desktop.ini file that was in the blank DVD folder initially.  I deleted that file since I did not think I wanted it.  But apparently, the logic in the code that checks the DVD is that 2 objects would be in the folder ... the desktop.ini file and at least 1 other item that was added to burn.  If you delete the desktop.ini file, it only sees 1 object and does not allow the burn.  So either, don't delete the desktop.ini, or if you do delete it, add back an empty file.

I hope that helps.  Since I started using this "fix" I have not had any trouble burning data disc.

• Proposed as answer by jdavidson2 Wednesday, July 18, 2012 2:57 AM
    Wednesday, December 26, 2007 7:47 PM
  • I have now, inadvertantly, resolved my problem.

Recently I have been having problem installing some Logitech Webcam software on my PC. I have been in discussion with their tech support, and after trying several different things with them, it was becoming quite apparent that there was something not quite right with my PC. In the end I decided to re-install Vista and after that the Webcam software installed just like that with no problem. Further to this I can now burn files to CD.

In the end I'm not sure what the root cause of my prolems has been. I can only guess that either something I installed, or  Windows Update applied, corrupted my OS.

Thanks for everyones help.

Mt Jubbly 

Thursday, December 27, 2007 10:07 PM
  • Well I sorted it. Sort of.  I formatted the drive and reinstalled the Vista on to that.  Real pain in the watsit but worth it in the end.  I had a lot more functions not working correctly and did not even realise it. Still its working ok now (sort of for vista) and I still think XP is a much, much better product. If I ever change my computer I will insist on upgrading to XP especially with the new update coming out. 

So if you are reading this with xp installed and are contemplating 'upgrading' to Vista......... Dont. Its slower, harder to use and a dozen other frustrating things. 

Thursday, December 27, 2007 11:08 PM
  • Get this...

Not only was i getting "no files", but I was even getting "no disc in drive"! I tried about 10 brand new blank Sony's straight off the spindle of 50, I tried several TDK's, and also a few Verbatim's to be certain it wasn't the type or quality. I also tried a few discs with files on them that could be read without any problems, then without removing these discs or giving Vista any other reason to get confused, when it came time to burn, "no disc in drive".

Given that I have no chance of ever meeting Bill Gates, I guess I'll have to make do with pretending homeless people are him and burning them (ala Captain Hero).

I agree with Frankc1 - if you're thinking of "upgrading" to Vista, don't. I'm going back to XP Pro. Stick it out with Vista? I'd rather do something less painful, like masturbate with a cheesegrater.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 3:57 PM
  • A simple fix but a stupid problem. In order for the recorder to work, you must have TWO files minimum in the folder in order for it to record.  Just throw something else in the folder, a blank TXT file, a picture, anything.  Once you have two items to be burned to the disc, it should work.

Not sure why the logic is setup the way it is, but the workaround is simple enough.

Thanks,

Spencer Hamons
    http://itpodcast.org/blog

Spencer Hamons
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 2:46 AM