none
Win media player 12 - it gets song titles wrong

Question

• WMP 12 displays the wrong song / file titles. 

Example: in a folder I have 300 songs file named 1 through 300.

If I click on 1.mp3 it plays, but  WMP doesn't display 1.MP3 as playing, it might have some older title that I gave it months ago, like temp 20.mp3, that it was long ago changed from.

So, how do I get WMP 12 to display the filename vs. some sort of name that it saved somewhere in the distant past?

Thanks, RA

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 4:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Windows Media Player show the music title when playing. However, the music name is not exactly its title. You can right click the music -> properties -> Details tab, please verify its Title and Name.

If you want to modify the Title, just right click the title content and select edit it in Windows Media Player.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 5:51 AM
  • Please read what I described as the problem and refrain from answering unless you have a relevant answer. 
    This isn't about the song files, it's about how WMP identifiesand keeps track of them. 
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 2:28 PM
  • WMP usually doesn't display a song's file name, but the title that is embedded in the song's metadata (the so-called tags). You can edit a song's title tag in WMP's library, or by going to the song's Properties in Explorer, as explained by Niki Han.
    Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 9:54 PM
  • WMP usually doesn't display a song's file name, but the title that is embedded in the song's metadata (the so-called tags). You can edit a song's title tag in WMP's library, or by going to the song's Properties in Explorer, as explained by Niki Han.
    Tim De Baets

That's wrong.

Using "properties" in explorer is not a solution for how WMP is showing titles, and doing it to 300 titles, one at time, is not viable.

I later tried a few things and realized that WMP is displaying the song title as it was when it incorporated it into the "library" that it is currently using.

If a song is renamed subsequently in explorer, it will play it in WMP, but display the old name that is in its "library". The solution is to delete the library, and then create a new one with the current naming system.

Sunday, November 13, 2011 10:31 PM
  • How are you renaming it in Explorer?  Changing the Filename does not affect the (ID3) Title, as Tim correctly pointed out.  You can correct Titles and other metadata in WMP probably more easily than within Explorer.
    Monday, November 14, 2011 11:30 AM
  • How are you renaming it in Explorer?  Changing the Filename does not affect the (ID3) Title, as Tim correctly pointed out.  You can correct Titles and other metadata in WMP probably more easily than within Explorer.

I already found a remedy, as I posted on 11/13/11.

It should be obvious that if I'm dealing with 300 songs, renaming one at a time isn't a viable approach.

I solved the problem by deleting the existing "library" or "list" in WMP, and then creating a new one. The song filenames then show up as they should.

Monday, November 14, 2011 2:43 PM
  • How are you renaming them in Explorer?  If you're renaming them one at a time in Explorer, that also would seem inefficient.  You can bulk edit them in WMP very easily by multi-selecting as you would in Explorer.

Interestingly, if you're just renaming their filenames in Explorer, that won't correct any available ID3 data as regards title - if that data is ever set or loaded, that would preempt the display of the filename.

Basically, everybody and you seem to talking at cross-purposes: Title trumps Filename. If you're using Filename, that's completely valid but strange.  This is not really a MSFT-related issue at that point: it's simply an alternative way of dealing with MP3/ID3 files. :)

Monday, November 14, 2011 7:33 PM
  • A possible explanation for the behaviour that the OP is seeing is that the songs don't have a Title tag set. When such songs are added to the library, WMP puts the song's file name into the library's Title field. However, when a song's file name is changed, this change won't be reflected in the Title field. This also explains why re-adding the songs to the library does update the titles.

Hence, my previous post was in fact correct: "WMP *usually* doesn't display a song's file name". I consider songs without a title tag pretty unusual :)

Tim De Baets
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 2:34 PM