none
STOP: C0000135 The program can't start because %hs is missing - NOT AVG

Question

• Hello all,

Today I rebooted my PC and got a BSoD "STOP: C0000135 The program can't start because %hs is missing". I have scoured the web for a solution but nearly every single one points to it being a problem with AVG.. the solution being to rename the folder and reboot. I 100% positively do not have AVG installed. 

Windows Security Essentials IS installed, and I have no idea if it has fixed anything recently.

"Last Known Good Configuration" does not work. Safe Mode does not work. I have no Restore points.

What are my options? I can clean install pretty quick, but I would like to boot to the OS to backup some application settings. I know there are hard/manual ways of doing this, but I'd rather not.

What does this error mean, what is it looking for?

I booted to Recovery Console off of the DVD, and if I try SFC / SCANNOW, it tells me there is another repair pending, when there is not.

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Wednesday, November 09, 2011 4:33 AM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment)
    Wednesday, November 09, 2011 1:16 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your update.

Since you have already made a clean install, I will mark your reply as "Answered". if you have further question, please feel free to let me know.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 2:25 AM
  • Hi,

Since the OP have already made a Clean Install, so we considered marking this thread.

Regarding your issue, you may start a new topic and describe what kind of issue you encounter in detail. We generally focus on one topic in one thread because in this way it will be better for other community members to participate in the discussion, and to search/find specific answers more efficiently in the future.

Thanks for your understanding.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 5:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please refer to the steps below to perform SFC command. Also, you need to check whether there is a file named pending.xml in Winsxs folder.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139810-sfc-scannow-run-command-prompt-boot.html 

If the issue persists, please consider performing a Clean Installation.

Note: before doing this, please back up all your useful files.

Regards,
    Juke
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 10, 2011 2:14 AM
  • Hi,

Any update?

Monday, November 14, 2011 9:56 AM
  • I have a co-worker with the EXACT same problem on her Laptop.  And I do mean exactly the same -- down to "SFC / SCANNOW, it tells me there is another repair pending, when there is not."

Any update on this, solutions/options?

Thanks, Rob

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 12:13 AM
  • Nope. I gave up and did a clean install. I just don't like doing that when it isn't on my terms... No worries. I made an image of the drive before hand with Acronis True Image and pulled the data I needed after. 
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 1:09 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update.

Since you have already made a clean install, I will mark your reply as "Answered". if you have further question, please feel free to let me know.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 2:25 AM
  • We had NO success with the two proposed methods in the link (sevensforum) above.

Since the proposed solutions didn't solve the problem (I don't consider wiping out one's hard drive and re-installing Windows 7 as a solution), I'm not sure I understand how this can be marked as "Answered"??

Apparently this problem occured after a Windows Update ... it is "possible" that Windows Update was inturrepted during the Install phase of the update when the Laptop went into Hibernation/Sleep.

Trying to get more details, but one of the updates could have been a "Security Essentials"?

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 4:30 AM
  • Hi,

Since the OP have already made a Clean Install, so we considered marking this thread.

Regarding your issue, you may start a new topic and describe what kind of issue you encounter in detail. We generally focus on one topic in one thread because in this way it will be better for other community members to participate in the discussion, and to search/find specific answers more efficiently in the future.

Thanks for your understanding.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 5:52 AM
  • My issue is exactly (to the letter) the same as the OP's, and like the OP, we were not able to find a solution.

I don't consider wiping my HD and re-installing Windows 7 a solution ... if a Windows Update caused the problem, who's say it will not happen again at some later date even after wiping my HD and re-installing everything from scratch?

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 5:56 AM
  • Hi Rob,

Please start a new topic. This is based on our policy.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 9:27 AM
  • Confirmed this issue on Windows 7 SP1 x64.  Probably some sort of removal of a virus the integrates/depends on a system component.  Microsoft Security Essentials removed a Trojan and this happened upon bootup.

SFC does work but does not help.  In the Recovery bootup in Command Prompt you need to use the /OFFBOOTDIR and /OFFWINDIR options of SFC along with /SCANNOW, to specify the location of your "Offline" Windows installation.  I did this and it said that nothing is wrong.

Friday, December 16, 2011 5:04 PM
  • Hi Rob, I just opened up my laptop after it sitting for three months and when I turned it off it had a list of updates.  And then today when I turned it on i too have the blue screen of death with the same message!  i have spent the last 4 hours searching for a solution and most of the solutions are connected to the AVG boot disc, i tried that to no avail, and i also tried the above "solution".  I am of the same mindset that i should not have to wipe my hard drive and reinstall windows 7.  if you have new thread or have managed to resolve the issue i would be grateful for info on either. 

thanks

Dan

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 2:18 AM
  • Hi,

You don;t have to wipe your hard drive, but the alternative is sort of a
    pain because it requires a live system debug,

-- Mike Burr
    Technology
    Wednesday, January 04, 2012 4:22 PM
  • Sadly the only solution was to wipe the entire drive and re-install everything.  This is the penalty you have to endure whenever you work with any Microsoft Operating System.  This is the single largest complaint Microsoft OS users have over the past 20+ years, Yet Microsoft still have not developed a solution for this problem -- even Windows 8 will have the same problem. 

The problem is a fundamental issue with the OS, some files/resource can NOT be updated unless the system is in a "special mode" ... this shouldn't be the case, a good OS can update itself without introducing risk.  It's just a bad design of the OS going back many years and Microsoft just haven't bothered to address it.

Rob

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 4:26 PM
  • Mike,

This is NOT a Virtual Machine (Hyper-V) ... in order for your suggestion to work the OP would have needed to install and setup the ability to debug the kernel ... OP is long since past that stage.

This problem isn't that "rare" -- a Google search will reveal this error is much less "rare" than you suggest.  It's also not a entirely a result of AVG or other AntiVirus software -- in about 70% of the cases it's a Windows Update that caused the problem.

But in either case, these types of problems only exist because of poor OS design and even worse error handling/reporting.  These problems still have not been address in Windows 8 either.  Microsoft seem unable or unwilling to put the necessary effort into building a real OS for real people.  Even if it were possible to do a live system debug (in this case it isn't), your average or even above average user isn't going to be able to accomplish that.

Only when Microsoft accept the real world will we start to see a change in Microsoft's software, until then, they continue to lose market share day by day.

Rob 

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 5:35 PM
  • I think you missed the point here, this problem can be debugged and all
    it takes is being able to debug the system through a serial/firewire/usb
    port. Even if the system crashes every time it is booted, debugging can
    still be configured using bcdedit in the recovery console, then the
    missing file can be identified and replaced and other corrective
    measures can be taken. I agree that Microsoft isn't very good with
    creating descriptive errors, but this goes back a long long long time...

The post isn't really meant for the average user, it is meant for an
    above average PC tech or sys admin that has little to no alternative but
    to get the system back up and running. Also, the kernel mode version is
    rare, there are lots of posts because there is a user mode version of
    this error that occurs whenever an application can't find a library.

If you hate Windows, you should probably use something else like Linux
    or Mac OS... they have their drawbacks too...

-- Mike Burr
    Technology
    Wednesday, January 04, 2012 6:32 PM
  • You make some assumptions:

1.  Recovery console is available (not always the case)

2.  I do use something else, Windows is just one of the OS's I use day to day but certainly not the only

3.  Firewire/Serial are pretty rare on more modern computers and USB maybe disabled (pending environment)

The problem with Windows OS is more than just poor reporting, and the fact their problems have persisted for a long long long time is not a validation they should continue.  The lack of attention to these problems is exactly why Windows is not adopted for mission critical environments and never will be if they continue to ignore some fundamental issues with their OS and how it updates itself.

But I honestly have no idea why anyone would want Microsoft to NOT address these pretty serious flaws?  It's a known problem (has been for a long time), it has a solution, Microsoft have the resources to address it, but they don't.  It's this philosophy that has transformed an industry leader into a corporation constantly playing "catch up".

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 6:51 PM
  • Hello,

Please look that any of the following sites:

http://blog.crosbydrive.com/?p=245

http://triplescomputers.com/blog/?p=72

http://travis.sarbin.net/2011/11/28/stop-c0000135-the-program-cant-start-because-hs-is-missing-try-reinstalling-the-program-to-fix-this-problem/

They will tell you about the registry entries that would have been altered. Those alterations would leave your computer unable to boot properly. You will need an offline registry editor to fix the issue. BartPE, MiniXP, and Linux like openSUSE with chntpw are suitable options to get access to your hive files. Thank you. Good day.

• Proposed as answer by Yemi Bedu Monday, January 23, 2012 3:11 PM
    Monday, January 23, 2012 3:11 PM
  • Apparently this message was associated with a virus at one time.  This may still be a possibility but in my case it was a faulty Crucial SSD, which required a flash to the latest firmware.  I wasted a lot of time scanning for virus, formatting the drive and re-installing windows.  When the error persisted after these steps I figured it was a hardware problem.   Called Crucial and they walked me thru the step to repair the drive.  WA LA!!  Hope this keeps someone from going down the virus rabbit trail.

Regards,

Glenn

Sunday, July 28, 2013 4:34 PM