none
Cannot start my laptop

Question

•  

Firstly, I apologise if this is in the wrong place, moderators. I have absolutely no idea when it comes to technology.

Basically I was using the internet yesterday evening and a box popped up saying something like the computer had to shut down immediately and any data I had would be lost. I turned the laptop on again and I get a black screen saying 'Windows is loading files', then I get the normal loading screen. After that, the screen goes blue and Startup Repair tries to fix the problem, but then says 'Startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically'. When I click 'show problem details', I get this:

Problem signature:
    Problem event name: StartupRepairV2
    Problem signature 01: AutoFailover
    Problem signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6000.16386
    Problem signature 03: 6
    Problem signature 04: 458759
    Problem signature 05: CorruptFile
    Problem signature 06: CorruptFile
    Problem signature 07: 3221225705
    Problem signature 08: 2
    Problem signature 09: SystemRestore
    Problem signature 10: 0
    OS version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.2561
    Locale ID: 1033

I'm wondering if you can find anything in that that can help me. I don't think I have Windows Vista on a disk because it was already pre-installed on my laptop and most answers I find seem to tell me to use that to repair the computer.

Thanks in advance for your help! I would really appreciate any answers you could give.

EDIT: I've just noticed in the diagnosis and repair details it says:
    Root cause found:
    Boot critical file C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys is corrupt.

Sunday, August 24, 2008 11:59 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Before going any further, please help to confirm the following situation.

1. Did you install the Windows Vista OEM version on the computer? If so, please contact your OEM manufacturer first, who should help to solve your problem.

2. Have you installed the latest update package such as Windows Vista SP1?

3. Could you restart the computer in Last Known Good Configuration properly (press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts)? If so, please perform a system restore back to the point before the issue occurred.

For your information, If you have the full version Windows Vista installation disk with your hands instead of the OEM version, feel free to continue with the instructions below.

Method 1: Use the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to run System Restore

========================================================

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next

4. Click Repair your computer

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on System Restore.

7. Follow the System Restore Wizard instruction as usual and choose the appropriate restore point.

8. Click Finish to restore the system.

Method 2: Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

====================================================

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7. (Click the operating system that you want to repair), and then click Next.

8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Hope it works!

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:55 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Before going any further, please help to confirm the following situation.

1. Did you install the Windows Vista OEM version on the computer? If so, please contact your OEM manufacturer first, who should help to solve your problem.

2. Have you installed the latest update package such as Windows Vista SP1?

3. Could you restart the computer in Last Known Good Configuration properly (press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts)? If so, please perform a system restore back to the point before the issue occurred.

For your information, If you have the full version Windows Vista installation disk with your hands instead of the OEM version, feel free to continue with the instructions below.

Method 1: Use the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to run System Restore

========================================================

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on System Restore.

7. Follow the System Restore Wizard instruction as usual and choose the appropriate restore point.

8. Click Finish to restore the system.

Method 2: Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

====================================================

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7. (Click the operating system that you want to repair), and then click Next.

8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Hope it works!

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:55 AM
  • Just wanted to extend this initial inquiry under the heading Cannot start my Laptop since I got into very similar situation.
    First of all, that is Dell XPS M1330 with Home Vista Premium (memory dual channel 3.0GB, HD 250Gb SATA, 128 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS, McAfee Security Centre 9.0, etc.). When pressed on start, it goes over POST, shows Microsoft Windows flashing horizontal line, then Vista background screen and then I see arrow in lower resolution and Startup Repair runing.
    Startup Repair end up with message that it cannot detect a problem.

In view diagnostic and repair details: The operating system version is incompatible with Startup Repair.

System Recovery Options also include Command Prompt and Dell Factory Image Restore apart from Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool, Complete PC Restore, System restore and Startup Repair.  I can't get an earlier point to restore from neither I have an entire backup. I do not want to restore from factory image as there are some family research materials, pictures and videos on it. However, the system  cannot repair this computer automaticaly.

Startup repair provides with the following narative:

Problem details:
         Event name: Startup RepairV2
         Singature 01: AutoFailover
                         02: 6.0.6000.16386.0.0.0.0
                         03: 0
                         04: 65537
                         05: unknown
                         06:OsVersionMismatch
                         07:0
                         08:0
                         09: unknown
                         10: 1168
             OsVersion: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
                 Local Id:1033

To repair with installation DVD did not produce better results. Interestingly, when pressed Media direct botton after awhile a message comes out asking to Exit " Dell Media direct Express annot acces your hard disk. this may be because you have anabled Microsoft Bitlocker (private encryption). Media Direct Express is not accessible when Microsoft Bitlocker is enabled."  Cscript manage -bde.wsf -status reported that no disk cannot be bitlocked.

Should I take out HardDisk and try to plug into frame of external drive to another computer to recover the data? Please advise.

Many thanks. VLius
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 12:12 AM
  • Hi,

I have very similar issue as well I cannot start /boot the laptop, displays 'Bad Patch' with below message;

I have tried the f8 Last known good configuraion did not work.

Does it mean I need to reinstall the Windows Vista? I do not have the installation disk either?

What would you suggest?

Thanks in advance,

P     Problem Event Name        Startup RepairV2

Problem Signature 01:    Autofailover

Problem Signature 02    6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6000,16386

Problem Signature 03:   0

Problem Signature 04    65537

"              "           05   No boot failure

"              "           06   Bad Patch

"              "           07  0

"             "            08  3

"             "            09  WrpRepair

"             "            10   2

OS Version:          6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID:             1033

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:23 AM
  • Very similar problems:

I have a windows Vista Home premium 32 bit Desktop

Startup Repair gave the following details:

Problem Signature 01:    Autofailover

Problem Signature 02    6.0.6000.16386.6.0.600.18000

Problem Signature 03:   3

Problem Signature 04    131074

"              "           05   Bad Patch

"              "           06   Bad Patch

"              "           07  0

"             "            08  3

"             "            09  WrpRepair

"             "            10   2

OS Version:          6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID:             1033

I also ran the sigverify.exe which gave me unsigned NVIDIA drivers.

This is my thread:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistarepair/thread/763dd484-3067-430d-bf2a-102cd1829265

Saturday, January 02, 2010 1:49 AM